Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Season 3 of Jessica Jones was probably one of the better seasons of netflix Marvel. I liked that it finally gave Trish some better agenda, rather than
being a grounding sidekick. My personal ranking would probably be something like.

DD S1
JJ S1
DD S3
JJ S3
LC S1
Mostly garbage below that.

Yeah, not a big fan of Punished...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, not a big fan of Punished...

The spin off show that’s just footage of mountains of corpses?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I just can't with this thread. Ridiculous!

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
The back half or so of JJS3 is a garbage fire, and there was some dumb stuff before that, like Trish straight up murdering the two goons by the pool, then being really upset that she accidentally impaled the mobster boss woman in self-defense.

Also it sucks that these shows never learned their lesson about stretching the plot out to 13 episodes.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Torquemada posted:

The spin off show that’s just footage of mountains of corpses?

Yeah, it gets a bit repitative after the first four hours.
Stupid phone...

hcreight posted:

The back half or so of JJS3 is a garbage fire, and there was some dumb stuff before that, like Trish straight up murdering the two goons by the pool, then being really upset that she accidentally impaled the mobster boss woman in self-defense.
That threw me off too. An unconcious guy fell into a pool and had nobody to help him get out. He obviously died there.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 16, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Eh, I'm not on board with the Hogarth plot.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, I'm not on board with the Hogarth plot.

Not sure how far along you are, but all three JJ seasons have been like this, with Hogarth having her own "troubled personal life"-plot running on the side and at first seeming entirely irrelevant until it intersects with JJ's plot because Hogarth is a terrible person who can't help but gently caress everything up if she sees even a minor way that it might help herself.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Intersecting is an interesting term, since this time around, she goes all out of her way.

(I forgot specifics of the last two seasons by now.)

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I feel like each one of these seasons has a moment of unintentional hilarity that kind of defines the season itself.

I about died laughing when Jessica is going over all of Salinger’s wrestling awards and degrees and describes him as athletic and aggressive then he comes in and he’s this doughy skinny-fat motherfucker.

Like could we have gotten someone who at least looked like they wrestled at some point in their life.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
What an incredible final episode.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Why does Malcolm hate Trish at the beginning of the season?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

LinYutang posted:

Why does Malcolm hate Trish at the beginning of the season?

They had a thing and she dicked him over iirc. That's why he accused her of using people, he feels like she used him.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Lid posted:

Then season 2 was "you know what was my favourite season of Buffy? season 6 with magic being a metaphor for drug use" and ran with it

Amusingly a friend compared JJ season 3 to Buffy season 6.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Ugh. JJs3 Ep 10 (or was it 9) has some AWFUL dialogue and more than a bit of over-acting. Which is weird because the actors in the show usually don't do that. Toss it up to an episode's director or whatever.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

So Trish is Hellcat obviously but I had no idea that Hellcat's power was.... parkour?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Invalid Validation posted:

Yea bushmaster was a good villain. I probably enjoyed Luke Cage season 2 more than the first.

It was more even throughout, to be sure. And Alfre Woodard kills it, she's legitimately great in the role.

Diamondback was probably the most dramatic drop in quality on any of these shows. S1 went from so good to frustratingly terrible in an instant...Diamondback and everything regarding his plot was CW levels of contrived and bad, after the Cottonmouth arc which was incredibly interesting and nuanced.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I blazed through JJ S3 pretty fast and fairly drunk so I may have missed something, but when did Trish gain the power to fight in the dark? As for the parkour, I thought the training montage was loving hilarious. Monkey bars, my nemesis! And even her crowning moment was something dumbasses at my middle school used to do on a regular basis.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Inspector 34 posted:

I blazed through JJ S3 pretty fast and fairly drunk so I may have missed something, but when did Trish gain the power to fight in the dark? As for the parkour, I thought the training montage was loving hilarious. Monkey bars, my nemesis! And even her crowning moment was something dumbasses at my middle school used to do on a regular basis.

Trish gained her powers from the experiment she made the doctor perform on her in one of the latter episodes of season 2. I think it was mentioned to be based on feline DNA, hence cat-powers.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

LeafyOrb posted:

I feel like each one of these seasons has a moment of unintentional hilarity that kind of defines the season itself.

I about died laughing when Jessica is going over all of Salinger’s wrestling awards and degrees and describes him as athletic and aggressive then he comes in and he’s this doughy skinny-fat motherfucker.

Like could we have gotten someone who at least looked like they wrestled at some point in their life.
lol

S1 had "you let me... inside of you" and also Jessica randomly getting knocked out by four NPCs with a 2x4. peak Marvel Netflix

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Slashrat posted:

Trish gained her powers from the experiment she made the doctor perform on her in one of the latter episodes of season 2. I think it was mentioned to be based on feline DNA, hence cat-powers.

Yeah I knew about the experiment, just didn't remember any mention of specifically what advantages it gave her at any point this season other than "not strength". I guess when Jessica asked if she was a cat burgler now I should have picked up on that.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah I knew about the experiment, just didn't remember any mention of specifically what advantages it gave her at any point this season other than "not strength". I guess when Jessica asked if she was a cat burgler now I should have picked up on that.

At the beginning of the second episode, shortly after she retries (and fails) to catch her phone with her foot, she walks outside and there are a few shots where the streets get brighter. That was meant to show us her perception. I guess, you could miss that if you don't watch too closely.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Is JJ's main power in S3 still slamming people into drywall?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 22, 2019

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Koalas March posted:

They had a thing and she dicked him over iirc. That's why he accused her of using people, he feels like she used him.

She pointed a gun at his head. Kind of a bit beyond dicked him over.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

She pointed a gun at his head. Kind of a bit beyond dicked him over.

I legitimately forgot about that! In my defense s2 of JJ is a distant memory basically all I remembered before I started s3e1 was that Trish killed her mom who was annoying and that I hated everything about that season. I didn't even remember Trish/Malcom were a thing until that exchange.

"People will forget what you said, but never how you made them feel" basically sums it up lmao

Woden
May 6, 2006

Stupid phone...

That threw me off too. An unconcious guy fell into a pool and had nobody to help him get out. He obviously died there.

That scene was weird. I had this show on as background so maybe got it wrong, but that dude floated to the surface face down and then after a cut was floating face up. He's probably fine.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stupid phone...

I figured one of the incapacitated brothers got him out, because otherwise that was an intentional kill and my absolute favourite thing this season was Trish bumbling around like a murderous Mr Magoo.

And I actually liked the bad guy. He wasn't supposed to be an adult wrestling champ, was he? I thought he wrestled as a kid to compete with his brother and gave it up as he killed him / got older but still coached at the community centre. I didn't think real life "wrestling team" wrestlers look like WWE steroid mountains, his look was fine for someone who used to be athletic, but now just maintains enough strength to overpower his victims. I also completely misread the faces in the trailer so I thought Headache Guy was the main season's villain for the first few episodes and kept waiting for the heel turn

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 19, 2019

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

That poor actress from The Deuce keeps getting typecast as a prostitute.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
Just finished S3. If you pay attention, you can spot the exact moment the word that they were closing Netflix Marvel got to the production office and they stopped bothering doing any new drafts of the scripts.

Clunky dialogue and plotting aside though it was...fine, I guess.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Pastamania posted:

Clunky dialogue and plotting aside though it was...fine, I guess.
Netflix Marvel.txt

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Inspector 34 posted:

There was a bit where Jessica pushes her out of a window and looks down a few stories and Trish is just fine. I just took it as sorta generic Marvel extra-good kicky fighty powers because :effort: But other than surviving that fall she didn't really do anything that a normal person in comic-book-land couldn't do after some training montages.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Inspector 34 posted:

She outright says she can see in the dark in like episode 4 when Jessica tried to use a flashlight.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I'm sure it was made clear if you were actually paying attention. I remember the window thing but that still didn't scream "cat powers" to me cuz like you mentioned, just about any powered individual would have handled that with ease too. Oh well, maybe I'm just bad at watching bad tv. I still laugh when I think about parkour training though, like how did they think that sequence would make anybody impressed with Trish's skills?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
aside from the window thing, they show Trish jumping off an entire building right in front of Jessica at one point. And in the final episode when they're fighting in the dark all of the shots of Trish(jessicas POV) are dark while Jessica's shots (Trish's POV) are way brighter since she can do more with less light. Up until that point I hadn't really noticed the effect though

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So her power was being able to fall from any height.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Presumably nine lives and rough bristles on her tongue, too.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Jessica occasionally finds puke in her shoes. Blames Trish every time.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MiddleOne posted:

So her power was being able to fall from any height.

Phenotype posted:

Presumably nine lives and rough bristles on her tongue, too.
hah, I never considered that but it kinda tracks, she basically has cat powers. She always lands on her feet, great night vision, fuckoff dangerous claws...

is she supposed to be a knockoff catwoman in the comics?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
She's literally Hellcat from the comics. People have been expecting her to turn superpowered since season 1

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slashrat posted:

She's literally Hellcat from the comics. People have been expecting her to turn superpowered since season 1

ohhh, that explains that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Slashrat posted:

That means very little to most people, though. I'm a bit of a comics nerd but I'd never heard of her before the name popped up in the thread, and I still haven't bothered to google her to see if she's got the proportional strength and speed of a cat or if she's just heavy into the theme like Batman.