Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Liked it a lot more than the 1st episode. Im back on board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah it was much improved. Still not great but if you didn't like last week's it's worth a peak

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Honestly, I liked last week's better. Which is pretty typical for a two-parter, in any show. Hopefully next week will be more of a stand-alone.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Was the giant chicken robot an Aqua Teen Hunger Force homage? This was a much better episode even though it still feels like "Archer characters going through the motions." Much like the last two it will probably be a better watch as binging instead of weekly. I'm guessing the affable yet useless Bort may pan out to be a major league supervillain.

tarlibone posted:

Could this be a sign that Archer's dream world is starting to crack a little? Like, his consciousness is becoming aware of the fake nature of his current adventure?
I'm going to guess these seasons are based on the TV in his hospital room. There was the applause break when Pam entered in the first episode as well. Or Pam might just like pretending she's on an 80s sitcom.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
The first thing my wife said when she saw Fun Beak was, "Isn't that the [Cybernetic] Ghost of Christmas Past?"

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

qirex posted:

I'm going to guess these seasons are based on the TV in his hospital room. There was the applause break when Pam entered in the first episode as well. Or Pam might just like pretending she's on an 80s sitcom.

That's an interesting idea. Then at the end of the season things start going rapidly crazy and mixing up genres which leads to Archer waking up in the hospital to yell at the rest of the team who are fighting over the TV remote.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

This poo poo is dire. I don't know how anyone can continue to bathe in nostalgia and not throw up their arms.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

2nd episode was better than the 1st but it's still not great

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I actually quite enjoyed that, but I'm not quite sure if I'm ashamed.

Classic Archer.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The animation is goddamn outstanding while every other aspect is hilariously bad.

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

qirex posted:

Oh but for The Prisoner to be on the TV in his hospital room...

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LMAO im still watching this garbage.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That shot of Krieger barely being able to see over the table at the end was amazing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

basicblack posted:

Oh but for The Prisoner to be on the TV in his hospital room...

The greatest season of Archer that will never happen.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's not brilliant, or at least I don't think so, but I enjoy hanging out with these characters I guess?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Well, this show's bad now.

It hasn't been great since probably season 4, but the last couple at least had their moments. This entire episode was just... nothing.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Well, this show's bad now.

It hasn't been great since probably season 4, but the last couple at least had their moments. This entire episode was just... nothing.

Yeah, it wasn't great. I mean, I didn't hate it, but I felt like it was a B-plot stretched into a full episode.

But hey, it had one saving grace: Brett Bunson! As soon as he showed up, I knew what his fate was. Nice callback!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I feel like this show, more than most, has suffered from the industry-wide switch from episodic to serial format. One of the great things about early season Archer was them having some ridiculous adventure and it all wrapping up [or not] in 20-ish minutes with some continuity used as jokes. I know thanks to streaming most shows are required to be serial now but 'd also not be surprised to hear the writing team decided to switch on their own. I know when I rewatched Dreamland on streaming over two days it felt way less awkward than it did when I watched it one week at a time.

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 13, 2019

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

FlamingLiberal posted:

Looks like they are going to keep cribbing hard from Alien this season

Doesn't bode well for a character with the last name Kane.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I actually enjoyed that episode other than the lazy setup.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Better than one, not as good as the second. I mean, I'm in for the long haul at this point anyway

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
This would have been an excellent episode of Farscape.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Atlas Hugged posted:

This would have been an excellent episode of Farscape.

Now I want Browder as a guest star as one of those hypermasculine foils Archer always has a giant crush on.

Speaking of masculinity, what the gently caress is up with Ray this season. There are so many better ways to use that character than one-second sight gags about a Firefly joke that was tasteless the first time. I miss organized and competent Ray; Lana needed the backup and both characters suffer without one another to play off of.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ray was pretty much a walking “France surrenders” joke last season but he had a few good lines.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I don't think any character has fallen so far as him

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
When you start in a chair it isn't a long way down.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't think any character has fallen so far as him

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that he's also the show's creator and head writer? Maybe he doesn't want to hog all the awesome for himself. And, yeah, after writing that, I see how it looks, but still, maybe that has something to do with it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

tarlibone posted:

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that he's also the show's creator and head writer? Maybe he doesn't want to hog all the awesome for himself. And, yeah, after writing that, I see how it looks, but still, maybe that has something to do with it.

I think I read somewhere that he doesn't like doing the character or something.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Nah, Reed's said he loves doing the character. He's also said that Ray isn't in the opening credits because he doesn't want his name appearing twice and stealing more of the spotlight.

My guess is Ray's diminishing role is part of Reed's desire to hand the show off to a new producer if it continues. This is the longest he's ran a series for.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Nah, Reed's said he loves doing the character. He's also said that Ray isn't in the opening credits because he doesn't want his name appearing twice and stealing more of the spotlight.

My guess is Ray's diminishing role is part of Reed's desire to hand the show off to a new producer if it continues. This is the longest he's ran a series for.
Hell yeah, can't wait for Archer GT.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ten-episode voicemail prank arc to save budget.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly I feel like Archer's identity as a show has been set-in-stone enough by now that a different producer could crush it

Dragon Ball GT got hosed up because 1) Toei hates spending money and 2) Toriyama is a really inconsistent and idiosyncratic writer who's basically impossible to emulate, and DBZ barely sticks to one thing for long enough to even give you a starting point beyond what the show's been basically memed as; a more comparable situation for Archer would be, like, American Dad, which changed showrunners a few years back and has been kinda on fire ever since

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Post your dreamboat showrunner to succeed Reed

and

Pitch what Adam Reed's next project should be.

I'll post mine, but I gotta think about it for a bit.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

while the season has been up and down, any time Ray gets to reference this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIT9Gbn7Zh8 and the Credit Mobilier scandal is fine by me

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think this was the best episode of the season so far if for no other reason than the idea of a Teapot Dome musical

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kesper North posted:

Post your dreamboat showrunner to succeed Reed

and

Pitch what Adam Reed's next project should be.

I'll post mine, but I gotta think about it for a bit.

No idea who the show runner should be, but I'm hoping his next project is something sci-fi because I've really liked this season.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I can't believe I thought that Archer in space might be a neat twist. Couldn't make it through the first episode.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think this was the best episode of the season so far if for no other reason than the idea of a Teapot Dome musical
The big ballad, "I'm Trying So Harding To Be Good," is a classic of musical theater.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Finally a decent episode. Hopefully they are hitting their stride and the rest will be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I loved how cheerfully Cyril accepted his brainwashing. And was Space Mad Captain the same voice actress as the scientist from the Fantastic Voyage episode?

... nope, not at all. Something about the cadence in the captain's voice reminded me of Dr. Sklodowska.