Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

binge crotching posted:

The way the event is written, it can fail to spawn if it is too late in the game and there aren't any nearby empty systems.

I had to manually fire the event on one of my games because I didn't investigate the anomaly until it was too late.

Ah yeah. This was when I went back to clean up some old ones so, oh well :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
A fate worse than death I guess for the Prikki :allears:

And yeah, Machine Empires are hilariously broken with Cybrex precursor lol. But still is fun to conquer a bunch of new planets and start planing and moving all the new pops into their new safe little homes :3:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Restarted our MP game, new beta also is borked for MP (at least when we hit 9ish players, below that seemed..okay?), but stable as all get out for 13 players on the stable branch. Hopefully will be fixed soon!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Great Khan event is the worst and I hate it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Great Khan event is best, gotta pick up that -20% claim cost!

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Also, the dimensional portal chain where you talk to your warp FTL mirror universe is great if you're a robot.

ERROR. UNKNOWN VALUE: WARP. EXPECTED VALUE: HYPERLANE. CLARIFY.

Personally I love the Megacorp one.

"Hmm... There are giant space worms destroying our universe! There's only one thing to do... Establish a mutually beneficial trade agreement!"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Its bad when you don't realize that its a mid game event because you have mid game set 50 years into the game and the Khan is sending fleets bigger than the power of every single ship in the galaxy at the time.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The first thing I thought of when I got that mirror universe with warp option was helping them out arsenal of freedom style. I just kept economy booming and waiting for an option to pop up to shower my counterparts in galaxy crushing wealth and technology but... nope. Nothing doing.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So how did the console version of this end up compared to the PC version?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Splicer posted:

For jumps was a bit much, but nerfing the jerk snipe was needed. This feels like a good compromise.

Lot of other good stuff, thank you for the terraforming thing DR I feel validated as a human being.

I'm glad you have re-gained the ability to feel human.

Splicer posted:

Hey DarkRenown is the rare resources / industrial district tech thing a bug or a feature?

Bug, I fixed, but not in time for that patch.

uber_stoat posted:

not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, it's just that I'm tired and slightly drunk and on certain occasions I have argued vehemently with Swedish people about certain important topics (pizza), which has in a certain sense prejudiced me. also I just started playing this again after a big gap and I never actually built a ringworld before, so having that rear end in a top hat war interrupt me was kind of annoying.

Recently I had a pizza topped with pineapple, banana, and curry. A+

Why is there such a difference in quality between the text for the Zoni and Baol chains? The Baol one is quite good, but the Zroni one is insanely rough. Single lines of text, grammatical and spelling errors, and just bad writing all round.

edit: Literally:

"Zroni minor colony

Investigate Zroni minor colony" on the archaeological dig site screen.

Also, the dimensional portal chain where you talk to your warp FTL mirror universe is great if you're a robot.

ERROR. UNKNOWN VALUE: WARP. EXPECTED VALUE: HYPERLANE. CLARIFY.

:yikes:
Well the Zroni and the Baol ones had different writers...I wrote the Zroni. I did write all the Dimensional portal events too though.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I got some bug reports.

The "promising officer" event will always spawn as your original main species, even if you've gene-modded yourself or even gone synth ascen.

I also waged an independence war against a Materialist AE, with the support of the other two satellites. I got hosed by the army regen bug :argh: and they forced a white-peace on me, which gave me independence but not the other two.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Finished a Synth Ascension run on the Beta. Someone should have warned me. Their pop growth is super powerful, but also extremely tedious. I ended up with somewhere north of 8k bots in my empire and filled two ringworlds and two city planets until I got really tired of dealing with resettling. Getting the unemployment pop-up and finding 70 unemployed and homeless pops was a frequent occurence. And sector AI will always build a robot assembly even if you turned it off on the planet. The higher limit on concurrent Megastructures is nice. I built all of them, three at a time.

Bug:Queued upgrades on a planet get auto cancelled form time to time, even in sectors that arent't automated.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Is there a way to de-colonize a conquered system? I laid waste to a rival empire (as fanatic purifiers) but all of their planets are 20% habitability so I assume they're not worth developing until I get terraforming.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

Is there a way to de-colonize a conquered system? I laid waste to a rival empire (as fanatic purifiers) but all of their planets are 20% habitability so I assume they're not worth developing until I get terraforming.

IIRC you can resettle your pops out of there, and that will kill the colony.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

And Tyler Too! posted:

As Fanatical Purifiers, the traditional way to do this is from orbit, with your largest-caliber guns. Since you've already conquered it, you can either resettle all the pops or turn off growth and set them to purge.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanks for all your hard work on this!

Is there any chance we could get the special fleets to have piracy suppression? Stuff like Bubbles, the Automated Dreadnought, the "Scrapped Fleet," and so on that you get through events and whatnot.

I tend to leave these fleets on their own in my space for various reasons. They're slow, or they don't upgrade, or they're too cute to die, or whatever. I'd like for them to do some good other than just hovering over a bastion somewhere.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Gort posted:

I met someone this weekend who is really into the game and he's playing the console version, so it's playable. Beyond that, who knows!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

And Tyler Too! posted:

CRACK THE PLANET.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

some extremely weird stuff happens when a science ship scans objects in a system with a black hole if you have ycocg disabled

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

And Tyler Too! posted:

Kill all their pops and move all yours away. I think there's also an 'abandon colony' button somewhere.

Really though, you're better off filling them with robots and strip-mining them.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gort posted:

I own both versions.

The console version is really good. I can't believe how well they handled the controls. It's some black magic voodoo.

The biggest downside is that it is way behind the PC version in terms of features and DLC. It feels very bare-bones compared to the experience on today's PC version. They're still using Tiles and the most recent DLC is Utopia.

I 100% endorse the console version to people who, for whatever reason, don't want to (or can't) play on a PC. It's good, and as DLCs release, getting better.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm still skeptical that the console version is real, I just can't imagine playing Stellaris on a controller

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

turn off the TV posted:

I'm still skeptical that the console version is real, I just can't imagine playing Stellaris on a controller

Having not seen it with my own eyes, I really have to assume the console version is an elaborate hoax.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

This may be something that bothers me alone, but if you create more that 6 fleets and then delete some fleets until you have less than 6 fleets, it seems like a line or two of pixels at the top are suddenly off or something. You can see in the picture above how the very top of the 3 fleets on the top line are cut off.

Also, as a personal thing, I wish there was a button next to the 'retrofit/delete/inspect' buttons that would allow you to upgrade a particular class of ships. Sometimes there are times when I may just want to upgrade one ship class or, in this particular circumstance, I don't want the Grand Herald to get 'upgraded' if I used the upgrade all button because it would actually be a downgrade.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

turn off the TV posted:

They did it pretty well, believe it or not.

The D-Pad selects an edge of the screen and opens that widget where you can move around to pick sub-menus. These are, more or less, in the same place as the PC version. Like up lets you select resources, science, etc. Right is the outliner. Left is all those menus like species and factions; these have been somewhat reorganized from the PC version. Notifications are now on the bottom, and selected via the down button on the D-Pad.

The sticks rotate, pan, and move cursor on the maps.

The buttons are incredibly consistent. Pressing X does the same thing everywhere, for example. This is really the key bit that makes it work.

The only thing I haven't figured out is how to add an order to the top of a queue, like you can with CTRL+SHIFT+CLICK in the PC version. This is a lack, but honestly, it's not something that makes-or-breaks the game.

The hardest thing to do in the game is to combine fleets. Took me a bit to figure that one out (you have to multi-select the items in the outliner then find the stupid combine fleets menu option, and click it).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TMMadman posted:

This may be something that bothers me alone, but if you create more that 6 fleets and then delete some fleets until you have less than 6 fleets, it seems like a line or two of pixels at the top are suddenly off or something. You can see in the picture above how the very top of the 3 fleets on the top line are cut off.

Also, as a personal thing, I wish there was a button next to the 'retrofit/delete/inspect' buttons that would allow you to upgrade a particular class of ships. Sometimes there are times when I may just want to upgrade one ship class or, in this particular circumstance, I don't want the Grand Herald to get 'upgraded' if I used the upgrade all button because it would actually be a downgrade.

Take the Grand Herald out of the fleet. Set it to follow the fleet.

Now it goes where the fleet goes, but doesn't upgrade with it.

If you're afraid of leaving it behind, have your main fleet follow the Grand Herald instead.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

I've been letting the ship manager create the auto upgraded "best" ship for each size and just spamming that for fleets. Is this okay or am I going to be utterly ruining myself where my fleet strength will be meaningless because it'll have put shields on the guns or something? I just didn't fancy creating a dozen ships of different roles/types and updating them all after every tech.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

LordVorbis posted:

I've been letting the ship manager create the auto upgraded "best" ship for each size and just spamming that for fleets. Is this okay or am I going to be utterly ruining myself where my fleet strength will be meaningless because it'll have put shields on the guns or something? I just didn't fancy creating a dozen ships of different roles/types and updating them all after every tech.

It's probably fine.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

ConfusedUs posted:

Thanks for all your hard work on this!

Is there any chance we could get the special fleets to have piracy suppression? Stuff like Bubbles, the Automated Dreadnought, the "Scrapped Fleet," and so on that you get through events and whatnot.

I tend to leave these fleets on their own in my space for various reasons. They're slow, or they don't upgrade, or they're too cute to die, or whatever. I'd like for them to do some good other than just hovering over a bastion somewhere.

Yeah, it just needs to be manually added (it's dumb). I was also thinking about moving piracy suppression off of ship hulls and onto weapons instead, but it's probably worth doing special ships anyway rather than leaving them in limbo until then.

LordVorbis posted:

I mean, it's no worse than what the AI has, so it's not bad assuming you;re playing SP. FYI you can design a ship type and set it to auto-update to new versions of the same thing. E.g. You don't need to go in and swap your Red lasers for Blue lasers.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

LordVorbis posted:

Like IcyFisty said its probably fine, but the ship manager can end up making some poorly optimized ships. If you are feeling motivated or want to squeeze better performance in without a ton of effort/clicking it is pretty easy to go in and fit half shields half armor in all of the slots dedicated to those two items (I round up for Armor if there are an odd number of slots or power is in short supply), fit 50% Lasers and 50% kinetics to the gun slots (I round up for Kinetics if there is an odd number of slots), pick a not-power boosting item for your wildcard slot. Oh and make sure as your ships get bigger you include some PD/Flak and larger mounts. That alone will probably make better ships than the autodesigner? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

edit: and you leave "auto-upgrade" on so that it will automatically upgrade the equipment that you get better tech for. I personally leave it off so I'm not upgrading every 6 months as a new tech gets rolled out, but that is just me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 17, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Darkrenown posted:

Yeah, it just needs to be manually added (it's dumb). I was also thinking about moving piracy suppression off of ship hulls and onto weapons instead, but it's probably worth doing special ships anyway rather than leaving them in limbo until then.
Any chance the piracy stuff will be getting a polish pass? It would be nice if we could get better notifications that a system is dealing with high piracy or a pirate fleet is going to spawn soon (kinda like how we get notifications if a resource stockpile is full or will run out soon, or nothing is being researched, or a leader died, or an election is coming up soon). Abstracting it could also be nice so the player would not have to deal with creating and maintaining an extra fleet that has to be set to patrol specific systems that may change over time? Or softening the space station cap so its easier to use them to protect trade?

edit: also the pirate-related tool-tips all could really use some clarifications and more/better info so the player does not need to check a wiki page to understand what is actually going on with Piracy.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ConfusedUs posted:

Take the Grand Herald out of the fleet. Set it to follow the fleet.

Now it goes where the fleet goes, but doesn't upgrade with it.

If you're afraid of leaving it behind, have your main fleet follow the Grand Herald instead.

I might consider that if I didn't hate single ship fleets. It just drives me nuts, but I know it's a personal thing.

However, I still think a button to upgrade a single ship type would be useful. Sometimes I just want to upgrade the cruisers in the fleet for time or economy issues. Or maybe I have a trade deal that involves alloys that can get inadvertently broken at the end of a month, despite having a large positive alloy output, because of the way the game uses alloys during upgrades.

Hell, they could just make the yellow arrow that indicates a ship is available to be upgraded just upgrade that ship/class of ships. Just like if you click the corner button on buildings it will automatically queue the upgrade if you can afford it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Like IcyFisty said its probably fine, but the ship manager can end up making some poorly optimized ships. If you are feeling motivated or want to squeeze better performance in without a ton of effort/clicking it is pretty easy to go in and fit half shields half armor in all of the slots dedicated to those two items, fit 50% Lasers and 50% kinetics to the gun slots, pick a not-power boosting item for your wildcard slot. Oh and make sure as your ships get bigger you include some PD/Flak nad larger mounts. That alone will probably make better ships than the autodesigner? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

This is all I do. Although I don't bother with the PD because I build my fleets as 1 cruiser: 2 destroyer : 4 corvettes and cross my fingers the corvettes and destroyers can handle it with their small mounts.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Like IcyFisty said its probably fine, but the ship manager can end up making some poorly optimized ships. If you are feeling motivated or want to squeeze better performance in without a ton of effort/clicking it is pretty easy to go in and fit half shields half armor in all of the slots dedicated to those two items, fit 50% Lasers and 50% kinetics to the gun slots, pick a not-power boosting item for your wildcard slot. Oh and make sure as your ships get bigger you include some PD/Flak nad larger mounts. That alone will probably make better ships than the autodesigner? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm of the opinion that everyone should just do mixed kinetic and energy weapons (so guns and lasers) unless they have a reason to do otherwise, like specializing against a specific foe.

Darkrenown posted:

Excellent.

And while I'm quoting both the weapon loadout thing AND a dev, I have to ask: have you guys ever discussed why the game randomizes weapon loadouts for AI? It doesn't make anything feel distinct, because it's all just a hodgepodge, and it sometimes results in really sub-optimal ship designs that just get rolled.

I've always thought it would be better to assign specific ship loadouts to certain AI personalities, and default the player to something average. Players with a balanced loadout (like the above) would always do OK (barring the oddball all-missile or all-disruptor AI), but players who specialize would see a much more dynamic set of wars and potentially have to put more thought into their designs.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

LordVorbis posted:

I wouldn't let it generate ship designs outright, but once you kit out your initial design, auto upgrade is fine.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ulmont posted:

This is all I do. Although I don't bother with the PD because I build my fleets as 1 cruiser: 2 destroyer : 4 corvettes and cross my fingers the corvettes and destroyers can handle it with their small mounts.
I'm not sure if small mounts even fire at missiles and strike craft at all, so you may be leaving yourself vulnerable to them, but I doubt the AI uses them in enough concentration for it to matter? I'm really not sure but I always have some PD and/or Flak because I like being able to raid undefended systems and shoot down the one missile that every system station has without taking any damage.

Also I think I remember someone in the thread posting the research someone did on PD vs Flak numbers and that level 1 Flak is way better and totally insane?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Darkrenown posted:

Is there a reason it's not just fleet power/(arbitrary number)?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Splicer posted:

Is there a reason it's not just fleet power/(arbitrary number)?

Because it makes sense that battleships don't work very well as piracy suppression. They're very slow and don't generally have weapons which work well against small, quick ships (carriers excluded). I guess you could have the arbitrary number divisor just be based on the hull size, but that still doesn't represent things very well because carriers absolutely should be aces at piracy suppression. Escort carriers were a thing in the real world, escort battleships were not, and the reasoning is sound.

It should be weapon based, with large (and XL) mounts and PD being basically worthless and fighters and small or medium mounts being the best. And pirates should do more than just show up and hang out in a system if you don't provide enough protection.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zurai posted:

And pirates should do more than just show up and hang out in a system if you don't provide enough protection.
This is why I was asking Darkrenown if the mechanics will get any polish. It just seems really tacked on and annoying rather than a functioning system that adds depth to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

LordVorbis posted:

I personally like to create classes for each ship type, but you really only need 3-5 classes for each type.

The easiest is the corvette because there are only 3 classes to make: interceptor, missile, picket. Then I look to make my first 20 ship fleet be 10 interceptors, 5 missiles and 5 pickets.

The destroyers are usually ArtGun, GunGun, GunPick and maybe GunInt (but that is really just a weaker GunGun). I don't like the Picket bow on destroyers and PickGun ends up weaker than GunPick iirc (although i may have it reversed.

For cruisers I think I go ArtArtBro, BroBroBro, BroHangGun and BroMissGun (or BroMissBro, I can't remember). And then I focus production on mostly ArtArtBro with the occasional other class. The BroHangGun can be surprisingly powerful, especially if you've got the ameoba upgrade. Its militarily power ends up being higher than the ArtArtBro. The BroMissGun is usually the weakest of them, but it's still nice to have a couple in larger fleets.

I don't recall what exactly I do for Battleships, but it would follow the same path of creating a short/mid/long range class and maybe a more specialized class or two.