Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

okay cool thanks. i know our hiring people are pretty biased against less than 2 year work experiences. the original plan was to land a software job or stick it out till graduation but its become pretty toxic

it's definitely not good to have a short tenure, but it's not like, disqualifying

you might get asked about it. make sure you have a nice, calm, non-judgmental version of events that doesn't make you sound like a cynical rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Only times I've ever asked about an odd short tenure it's always been under the assumption that the company probably sucked real bad in some way and unless the candidate is outright a jerkoff in their answer, I probably don't care too much.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
what about internal transfers? say if i graduate and an internal software engineering position is available, would it be a black mark on me to try to transfer after a year?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

what about internal transfers? say if i graduate and an internal software engineering position is available, would it be a black mark on me to try to transfer after a year?

nobody gives any fucks about internal transfers. literally nobody. none of the core audiences for a resume give a gently caress.

that is just a job title change at the same firm

-------

edit:

if you spent like, ten years at one company, and occupied several different roles, it might benefit you to list those roles separately, since an applicant management system weights your last two job titles hella heavily

but you are a new grad and none of this matters

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

job interview tomorrow

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Captain Foo posted:

job interview tomorrow

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Captain Foo posted:

job interview tomorrow
gently caress 'em up, captain

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

the one thing i’m coming to realize is that by digging myself into the happy little niche of nosql i get to avoid tech trivia interviews. everyone knows that no one knows how their stuff works and act accordingly

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

FMguru posted:

gently caress 'em up, captain

Agreed

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

correctly built in a bunch of extra travel time to the schedule which I of course didn't end up needing so now I'm sitting at a nearby cafe anxiously watching the clock and posting

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

correctly built in a bunch of extra travel time to the schedule which I of course didn't end up needing so now I'm sitting at a nearby cafe anxiously watching the clock and posting

i do this every single time. better than running late i guess. good luck, get figgies.

i have an on-sites thursday this week and tuesday next week. i'm real anxious. 3 more people have left my team, bringing the size to me and one other dev that have been here, and a new hire. so getting to the point where this team might be shunted.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Captain Foo posted:

Better than the alternative. my very first job interview I showed up 3 hours early

Just relax and enjoy your coffee. Splurge on a sandwich, even

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Captain Foo posted:

This is always me. Especially if you order an extra coffee you wouldnt otherwise drink in the morning so you arrive at the interview mildly overdosed on caffeine

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hell I'm about to do this today for first day of work. Be there at 9, Waze says it'll take 25 to 45 minutes, better leave at 8!

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

better to be early and a bit uneasy than to be late and sorry

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

counterpoint: being late is usually not a big deal and it is waste of life being early for everything.

adjust to what stressed you out the least, but i think more people overall suffer from applying excessive margins than do from being late. e.g. spending too much time at aggressively terrible places like airports and jobs.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://www.theonion.com/dad-suggests-arriving-at-airport-14-hours-early-1819573933

this will never not be me

E: also this is my last week at current job. Then ~1 month of free time before the next one.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Lol if you are ever late for your very first day to a new job. Only a peasant would think that is a good idea.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

really weird day to be first in the office though

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Actually it's the perfect day to be first in the office

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qhat posted:

so you can be locked outside?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qhat posted:

to make it maximally awkward when the second person (well, however many arrives before the relevant boss/hr person gets there) to arrive has to refuse to let you in since they wont know who you are, or is the plan to just break a window and start doing work at someones desk?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

so you can be locked outside?

you grab a coffee or tea cup, and go sit in a park nearby, looking at your phone, then only arrive in a ±5 min range from the expected hour.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

to make it maximally awkward when the second person (well, however many arrives before the relevant boss/hr person gets there) to arrive has to refuse to let you in since they wont know who you are, or is the plan to just break a window and start doing work at someones desk?

Er obviously I'm not suggesting he turns up before the building is open. I'm just saying to anchor people's first impressions around something positive, i.e. by turning up at the time they've asked you to turn up that day.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

day 1 is always going to be weird because you're showing up to HR to have your badge issued, then laptop/PC/accounts setup, whatever. day 0 (interview) and day 2 (first day with your boss) are what counts i'd think

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It all counts, just do precisely what they've asked you to do for the first week or so. You might not know it but first impressions can last a stubbornly long time, even years into your job, so making good ones should be the highest focus of your first week. That's usually what I do anyway.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

sure, best to not be late, but it really isn't worth being too worried either (like, if traffic is truly terrible people will understand). and certainly don't arrive too early your first day, as you're there strictly a task someone will have to take care of, rather than in any real sense being an asset.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

sitting in a lobby or conference room waiting for orientation is not much of a burden

if they have you coming in early but orientation isn't until the afternoon, that'd be really weird

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

our company explicitly tells people not to show up until like 10 or whenever on their first day. works pretty well for everyone

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Before my first day at my current job, HR told me I was set to meet with them at 9:30 to fill out the first-day paperwork. Fortunately, I asked my boss if I should arrive at 9:30 or at some other time and they clarified I should arrive at 8. Don't know why my boss just assumed I knew their intended schedule.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CPColin posted:

Before my first day at my current job, HR told me I was set to meet with them at 9:30 to fill out the first-day paperwork. Fortunately, I asked my boss if I should arrive at 9:30 or at some other time and they clarified I should arrive at 8. Don't know why my boss just assumed I knew their intended schedule.

HR probably intended you to not be in the building until you signed the paperwork; its usually kinda important for you to sign that stuff before working

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

our company explicitly tells people not to show up until like 10 or whenever on their first day. works pretty well for everyone

yeah my last job was like this. it was growing fast enough they had onboarding figured out pretty well -- everybody starts on tuesday at 10am when there are people to take them around and do stuff

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

hobbesmaster posted:

HR probably intended you to not be in the building until you signed the paperwork; its usually kinda important for you to sign that stuff before working

That makes sense, especially the part where HR and my boss don't know what each other's doing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CPColin posted:

That makes sense, especially the part where HR and my boss don't know what each other's doing.

right. HR's job is to prevent your boss from doing stupid stuff like having you in the building without a hard copy NDA on file or having signed the IT policy agreements or whatever else

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I think the interview went well

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

Captain Foo posted:

I think the interview went well

This isn't the six word computer stories thread!

But I wish you the best. And to everyone else doing onsites!

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Just finished an interview with an in-house corporate recruiter. I told her I was working with 5 recruiting agencies. She said "professional-to-professional" I shouldn't work with anymore and even 5 is too many as companies might end up with multiple copies of my resume and it makes me look desperate. I assume this is a recruiter lie to get me to limit my options.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

sounds like it

like the tricks to get you to give up a number

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

barkbell posted:

Just finished an interview with an in-house corporate recruiter. I told her I was working with 5 recruiting agencies. She said "professional-to-professional" I shouldn't work with anymore and even 5 is too many as companies might end up with multiple copies of my resume and it makes me look desperate. I assume this is a recruiter lie to get me to limit my options.

as if anyone is gonna care if they get multiple copies of your resume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Boiled Water posted:

sounds like it

like the tricks to get you to give up a number

She was extremely pushy about a number. I said I was changing careers and want see what opportunities are available. Then she threw out a number, which I just remained silent about, so she threw out a bigger number. Then I said I was thinking a little more and upped that number by 15%. She said wow that's a lot more but said she wanted to talk to the team and have them meet me. So I guess I should have thrown out a bigger number. This is a weird process and I am bad at it.