Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I don’t think that needed a 2k remaster. Is it gonna be bluer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There better be color bars so I can be sure I’m getting an accurate image.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

It'd be pretty funny if A Passage to India got a UHD release before Lawrence of Arabia. But hey, I certainly wouldn't complain about more 4k David Lean in my life.

Perhaps they'll come out around the same time. Warner Bros. also has Doctor Zhivago and Ryan's Daughter. The former has a 4K master.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Does anyone know if they're doing a UHD release with HDR? That extra vibrance is a deal maker/breaker for me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'd never even heard of it so I looked it up and

Thanks, IMDb, really helpful!

I really hope that the BFI restored each frame individually and didn't just get cheap and copy-paste it all.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino is releasing the 1927 Universal production of Uncle Tom's Cabin on August 20. New 2K restoration with the original Movietone score, 1958 re-release version with narration by Raymond Massey, commentary by Edward Blum, and two restored short versions from 1910 and 1914.

Letterboxd reviews aren't exactly kind, but I'm curious to how horrific the film is.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

caligulamprey posted:

Everyone can pack it the gently caress up, we've reached peak Blu-ray on August 27th:

Hey, now you get to hear Tilda Swinton's voice in better quality.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I dunno, I could see Blue benefiting from a DTS-HD track even if the video obviously isn't much.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The Gravity Falls set is on sale for 48.99 on the Shout Factory website.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Oofa, I don't have that cash. Probably my favorite finale to a television show.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

CPL593H posted:

The Gravity Falls set is on sale for 48.99 on the Shout Factory website.

This is a great set. The only thing it doesn't have that I can recall is the original Pilot. There's commentary tracks for every episode, and sometimes bonus joke commentaries. Like in-character commentaries. And tons of Easter Eggs on the menus, as a show like this should have.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Stopped at B&N and managed to pick up a stack of classic Blu-rays for $10 each or less: Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Lost Horizon, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, The Maltese Falcon, American Graffiti, The Grapes of Wrath, and Little Shop of Horrors (director's cut). I've never seen Lost Horizon or The Grapes of Wrath, but I'm always up for golden age Capra and Ford. Especially happy about finding The Maltese Falcon and American Graffiti for cheap since I owned the DVDs years and years ago, but never got around to upgrading.

Also making my second try at getting a laserdisc player on eBay.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
I love Lost Horizon, it’s obviously extremely antiquated but it’s probably tied for my second-favorite Capra with Arsenic & Old Lace. The fact that so much of it survives as stills actually adds to it imo. Reminds me of Greed in that way.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I got my Severin order, and I'm set until the next sale, here's my pile of unwatched discs:

:negative:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I got my Severin order, and I'm set until the next sale, here's my pile of unwatched discs:

:negative:

Man, just wait until you see Ghostbusters II.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't feel so bad now about my four or five unwatched discs (and like four more on the way).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPL593H posted:

Man, just wait until you see Ghostbusters II.

Oh, don't punish the child.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Arrow's got a buy one get one free sale going on now: https://arrowfilms.com/shop/10th-anniversary-sale/?pi=1

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Ghostbusters II looks fantastic on UHD. Ghostbusters 4k is a mixed bag(some inconsistent and even distracting grain in a few scenes), but Ghostbusters II was just excellent across the board. Doesn't help you if you hate the movie, obviously.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I caught a bit of it on TV a while back and the cinematography looked lovely. Maybe that was just because it was on a lovely TV in my mom's kitchen. II does have stronger horror elements. Vigo for one, and Oscar getting stolen off the ledge is still creepy as hell as an adult.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yeah, Ghostbusters 2 is just not a good movie, but it looks great in 4k, and Ghostbusters 1 is a great movie that looks uneven in 4k.

The thing is, Ghostbusters 1 was filmed with film stock from the early 80's, and with 4k or even regular blus, everything I've seen from that era looks pretty grimy at some points. It's weird to think that over the next few years film stock got a whole hell of a lot "cleaner" and lacks a certain feel that you get from the 80's.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Is it the stock, or the process? I'm wondering if the growth of home video maybe pressured studios to change their practices.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The only reason I bought the UHD Ghostbusters was because I didn’t own the movie yet. I imagine some of the beam/ghost effects pop a bit more with HDR but I didn’t notice anything particularly amazing in that department either.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

The only reason I bought the UHD Ghostbusters was because I didn’t own the movie yet. I imagine some of the beam/ghost effects pop a bit more with HDR but I didn’t notice anything particularly amazing in that department either.

Not gonna lie, I partially bought it because I love the look of that steelbook. But I went in fully knowing that the Ghostbusters UHD wasn't going to be a clear upgrade(which is why I hadn't picked it up before now), I knew that much from reviews. And I'm someone who loves Ghostbusters II so I definitely was excited to see that in 4k.

Part of it with Ghostbusters is they did a very recent "mastered in 4k" release that looked excellent, so there wasn't a ton of room to improve on it the same way there is with stuff that hadn't been given that treatment as recently. Then again, you could say the same about The Fifth Element, and that UHD is absolutely stunning and an undeniable upgrade, so yea filmstock/process must be at least part of the issue as well.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I hope Peter MacNichol feels bad about his performance in Ghostbusters II. I hope it haunts him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

caligulamprey posted:

I hope Peter MacNichol feels bad about his performance in Ghostbusters II. I hope it haunts him.

You're nuts

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

caligulamprey posted:

Why would the only person in the movie who gives a gently caress and is doing his best feel bad?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FilthyImp posted:

Is it the stock, or the process? I'm wondering if the growth of home video maybe pressured studios to change their practices.

I got curious about TV, and what's interesting to me is that the average TV size even in the 80's was only 12-18 inches. About the time that the 90's happened is when they started getting bigger, but even then it wasn't *that* big.

I doubt that home video was really a factor because the limitations of TV sizes as well as the low fidelity of VHS would plaster over certain defects that are now very visible with a modern TV.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think this was the piece about the guy who played Vigo that I read a few years back (all the other ones I could find were only a few paragraphs). Definitely an interesting read https://deadspin.com/the-hateful-life-and-spiteful-death-of-the-man-who-was-1737376537

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Iron Crowned posted:

The thing is, Ghostbusters 1 was filmed with film stock from the early 80's, and with 4k or even regular blus, everything I've seen from that era looks pretty grimy at some points. It's weird to think that over the next few years film stock got a whole hell of a lot "cleaner" and lacks a certain feel that you get from the 80's.

Ghostbusters was shot on Eastmancolor 5294, which was a notoriously lovely film stock. It was super grainy even if you processed it as normal without pushing and it had terrible blue/green separation so you couldn't use it for compositing work.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Well that's interesting. Cost-cutting feature? I assume "lets use the stock that's shittiest for what we'll eventually need" was not in the original design

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

FilthyImp posted:

Well that's interesting. Cost-cutting feature? I assume "lets use the stock that's shittiest for what we'll eventually need" was not in the original design

It was the fastest film available up to that time, so it meant you didn't need to use as much light if you wanted to shoot scenes in low light and night urban exteriors, and Ghostbusters sure had a lot of those.

EDIT:

5294 was also the film used to shoot Aliens, which James Cameron notoriously complained about when the Alien Anthology was about to be released. The film stock only lasted like 3 years and was replaced by the better 5295. Ghostbusters 2 was shot on 5295.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 17, 2019

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

Arrow's got a buy one get one free sale going on now: https://arrowfilms.com/shop/10th-anniversary-sale/?pi=1

They really need a US site. Is there a way to filter by region?

caligulamprey posted:

Get out of here with this poo poo.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Peter MacNichol has one of the finest cinematic freakouts of all time in Bean.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I will die on this stupid Peter MacNichol was Bad in Ghostbusters II hill, but like the coward I am, I'm going to change subjects because this cover is just so loving good:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 17, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Holy poo poo that's good

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Casimir Radon posted:

I caught a bit of it on TV a while back and the cinematography looked lovely. Maybe that was just because it was on a lovely TV in my mom's kitchen. II does have stronger horror elements. Vigo for one, and Oscar getting stolen off the ledge is still creepy as hell as an adult.

Also, if it was pan and scan, that's going to destroy Ghostbusters. Those films really used the widescreen frame effectively, and in pan and scan, it just looks horrible.

They even mention it on the commentary.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner Archive announced The Thin Man, Footlight Parade, Merill's Marauders, and Bronco Billy.

Everyone here should get Footlight Parade. It's half song-and-dance musical and half screwball comedy starring James Cagney and Joan Blondell. Co-directed by Busby Berkeley and it's pre-code. They even include a bunch of Looney Tunes that used songs from the film.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

I will die on this stupid Peter MacNichol was Bad in Ghostbusters II hill, but like the coward I am, I'm going to change subjects because this cover is just so loving good:

I usually think Criterion covers are kind of boring, but man did they loving nail this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm glad they went all in on the melodrama over advertising the odorama gimmick like the normal poster.

e: Though it should definitely still come with a scratch and sniff card.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 18, 2019