Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Desumaytah posted:

Oversimplified scare quotes coming from an imperfect mind attempting to get his point across incoming: "Your opinion is the opposite. We're actually in agreement, and I can't blame you for agreeing with me." Reads as pretty darn indoc.

Squid and I are not in agreement at all, though.

His claim is self-contradictory: that he fully understood the movie, but that he also ignored half the movie for being (in his own words) “unimportant bullshit”. It's like saying that you love The Shining but hate the "human plot" with the family and the hotel, because it's nice to see a spooky skelington.

On the other hand, this perpetual fear of “trolling” that we’ve seen is unambiguously a claim that there is no real disagreement: ‘You don’t actually disagree with me; you are only pretending to disagree because you are evil or something.’

And this has reached a point where people deny evidence directly in front of them.

https://imgur.com/NC61AU2

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This happens all the drat time. Just because you refuse to acknowledge it doesn't mean it never happens.

Can you provide a single example?

I can: I got the name of the dog in Pacific Rim wrong once.

Your turn.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Burkion posted:

yes but he wasn't talking to you

I know, and I am sorry for inserting myself into their conversation like that. It just felt good to be able to express it, that I was, in many ways, kinda disappointed by the movie. What made it all the worse is that when the movie landed home for me (The Rodan chase, everything with Mothra, Serizawa saying goodbye, the Battle in Boston) it really made a significant impact. I don't think it's wrong to like those parts, and the movie in general, and still not want to engage with the flawed aspects of it. I think concluding that such a mentality is indicative of ultimately not liking the film, in opposition to what the person you're talking to says, is really unfair to them. At the end of the day, I think movies are meant to be entertaining and resonate with people, and I think it's great that Godzilla: King of the Monsters has succeeded at that, even if it didn't entirely work for me!

Burkion posted:

Preaching at you, whatever you want to call it. Don't give SMG more credit than he deserves.

I've been very clear from the start what my opinions on the movie are, but I also know that SMG spouts bullshit as a religion and poo poo like that is inexcusable. I'd encourage you don't engage with that nonsense and make your own points clear. Which you did very well.

The scope of the movie when it stepped beyond the realm of the monsters was very flawed and cut extremely shallow. I wish we could have seen more about how Godzilla changed things, the knowledge of Godzilla, but that's not the kind of movie they wanted to tell. Hopefully Kong will be better in that regard

Admittedly, I do enjoy reading some of SMG's posts as a way of getting a very different perspective on how they feel about films, but I do completely agree with what you're saying. It's impossible to claim an objective reading of a subjective subject like a person's enjoyment of a film, and I cannot agree with what appear to be attempts on their part to do so. I'm also really glad that you got something positive from my post! I know I can get kinda passionate (who am I kidding, heated) when it comes to talking about the big guy and his movies, and I apologize to you and anybody else if anything I said detracted from your enjoyment of the movie or made you feel bad for enjoying it. I definitely need to work on my tone and how I express myself in general.

And heck yes to your final point! I want to see that, and I want to see how they're gonna justify and film the battle between them. I think it's going to be extremely exciting, at the very least!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Pacific Rim remains the best western Kaiju movie. The credits sequence in Kotm is great for seeing ways in which the world changed. Pacific Rim covers all that in the first three minutes and then continues to show how Kaiju have affected the world for the rest of the runtime. You have toxic spillovers from their blood, you have doomsday cults, massive building projects, black market Kaiju parts trading, and giant combat robots.

I loved the opening of Pacific Rim: Uprising, wherein we saw an underclass literally living within and rising from the remains of the kaiju. Shame about the rest of the movie, but those first 5-10 minutes were amazing.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Cursed Ghidorah

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

His claim is self-contradictory: that he fully understood the movie, but that he also ignored half the movie for being (in his own words) “unimportant bullshit”. It's like saying that you love The Shining but hate the "human plot" with the family and the hotel, because it's nice to see a spooky skelington.

Yeah, sorry, I don't have the interest or energy to engage further with someone telling me that I only say I enjoyed a movie because I ignored half the plot, instead of paying attention to what I'm actually saying, which is "I understood and enjoyed the human aspect enough as it was, though it was inferior and flawed." Enjoyment is the most subjective thing in the entire world, and my personality allows me to enjoy things with fundamental narrative and subtextual flaws. Who cares?

I don't think you're a troll, I just think you come off as massively presumptive here, so maybe think about acceptance that people can experience and understand something entirely parallel to you and yet come to completely different conclusions and interpretations, as is the fundamental aspect of literary analysis in the first place.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Cursed Ghidorah

Lord jesus if this isn't what Lefty's head is engineered into in the next movie I will riot

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Annath posted:

That's badass!

Look what I found:

If this is what Eva 3.0+1.0 actually is, that would be great.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lefty’s head will be resurrected but it’s going to follow Multiplicity’s rules of the more you use clones to make clone the dumber they get so we’ll have a new Ghidorah around but it’s going to be an absolute idiot.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

I hope the lost head just sprouts wings and just flies around by itself

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Squidtentacle posted:

Yeah, sorry, I don't have the interest or energy to engage further with someone telling me that I only say I enjoyed a movie because I ignored half the plot, instead of paying attention to what I'm actually saying, which is "I understood and enjoyed the human aspect enough as it was, though it was inferior and flawed." Enjoyment is the most subjective thing in the entire world, and my personality allows me to enjoy things with fundamental narrative and subtextual flaws. Who cares?

I don't think you're a troll, I just think you come off as massively presumptive here, so maybe think about acceptance that people can experience and understand something entirely parallel to you and yet come to completely different conclusions and interpretations, as is the fundamental aspect of literary analysis in the first place.

Lord jesus if this isn't what Lefty's head is engineered into in the next movie I will riot

FWIW, SMG is one of the most ignored posters on this forum, precisely for this type of bullshit.

So maybe try that button out.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the movie , it was entertaining, but the human plot was getting really tiring . I wanted to see big monsters fight and ruin everything.

Ghidorah looked great . We saw all these potentially interesting titans but I guess sad dad and culty mom had to take up too much screen time.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

BiggerBoat posted:

FWIW, SMG is one of the most ignored posters on this forum, precisely for this type of bullshit.

Wasn't he banned until recently?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yup, don't remember why but he was gone for a cold minute.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I like when Godzilla fights other monsters. Especially when he wins.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Saw it again with somebody who hadn't seen it yet. Already knowing about all the terrible dialogue, I was able to watch for details and enjoyed it much more. So much work went into the insane visuals in this movie. The credits indicate it took a small army. I can't help but think, however, that my main takeaway from this viewing was that NOBODY in the theater laughed at ANY of the "funny" lines. And we had a pretty good crowd. People seemed satisfied with the action, though. This one is probably in the top 20 Godzilla movies.

Just to be sure, I looked it up: There are THIRTY FIVE Godzilla movies. :shepface:

Animal-Mother fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 17, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yup, don't remember why but he was gone for a cold minute.

BiggerBoat posted:

PriorMarcus posted:

Wasn't he banned until recently?

Stop derailing the thread to discuss SMG or posting culture. Engage them or ignore them.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Dammerung posted:

What made it all the worse is that when the movie landed home for me (The Rodan chase, everything with Mothra, Serizawa saying goodbye, the Battle in Boston) it really made a significant impact. I don't think it's wrong to like those parts, and the movie in general, and still not want to engage with the flawed aspects of it.

But we can examine those specific examples, and they aren’t separable from the ‘flaws’.

For example, the Rodan chase occurs immediately after Millie B declares mom a monster for deferring to Charles Dance on the topic of prioritizing the fate of the Earth over individual civilian lives. Then, in the chase scene, the SHIELD guys in the Helicarrier pretty much use the Mexican civilians as bait to trick Rodan into fighting Ghidorah - i.e. convincing Millie B to betray the ‘ecoterrorists.’ The Mexicans are pawns in the greater conflict between terrorists and counter-terrorists - hence why they disappear and are immediately forgotten. Where did they go?

The film of course does not present things in such kynical terms - the heroes are ‘just saving lives’ - but there’s obviously nothing neutral/apolitical about this ‘just saving lives.’ It’s all done in the name of ‘The Natural Order’ where White Dad is king and there’s a massively over-funded government agency run by crackpots and engaged in black ops. (Who gave the monster hunters authority to use deadly force on humans and conduct military operations in Mexico?)

Likewise, Serizawa’s supercharging of Godzilla occurs immediately after he gives White Dad the “fortune cookie” pep talk. Then we get the dual loaded images of the submarine bursting out of the water, and the invigorated Godzilla shooting his laser straight up into the air as a display of pure power. After that, White Dad is really hyped about using Godzilla to attack Ghidorah, like nobody else thought of just shooting Ghidorah with rockets before.

So, like, what’s the relation between Serizawa and White Dad that made him feel compelled to die for him, becoming one with Godzilla’s spirit and leading Dad to victory? This is where we needed more context about what MONARCH actually does, and what Serizawa’s role is - because it could be argued that he’s dying for MONARCH, but what makes these idiots worth dying for?

Ghidorah is declared “an invasive species”, of course, but the very concept of “invasive species” is highly controversial - and even that term is used somewhat incorrectly; Ghidorah doesn’t reproduce - doesn’t spread and drive other species out of their ecological niche - and he doesn’t even appear to be harming the environment. He causes wind storms, as Rodan does. We get exposition that he’s terraforming the Earth, but that’s never really illustrated.

There’s vastly more emphasis on Ghidorah - i.e. Charles Dance, who is certainly not an “invasive species” - being a bad dad.

Squidtentacle posted:

Enjoyment is the most subjective thing in the entire world, and my personality allows me to enjoy things with fundamental narrative and subtextual flaws. Who cares?

The issue isn’t your enjoyment. Your enjoyment isn’t under attack; you’re right that nobody cares. Also, to address your earlier concern, you don’t have to read films “subtextually”. Subtext isn’t an objectively-existing thing. It’s always relative to who the reader is and so-on. There is ultimately only text.

The issue is the claim that you don’t need to read too much of the text because you got the gist, and isn’t that good enough? And while you can certainly do whatever you want, you can’t expect the benefits of reading while skipping over the reading process, calling it done.

It’s not ‘subtext’ that White Dad feels manlier and more potent in relation to Godzilla. That is the text. It’s practically the plot of the film.

So when I say that you didn’t really enjoy the film, it’s not because I’m out to assault the core of your being, but because you really have missed out on big chunks of the film in spite of (or because of) your ability to compartmentalize.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 17, 2019

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the good dad vs bad dad fight is the film trying to couch good king vs bad king in terms that a modern audience who doesn't like feudalism will agree with, because the closest thing to a king in this day and age is your dad

again: movie literally called king of the monsters.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Wait, Godzilla is my Dad?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MrMojok posted:

Wait, Godzilla is my Dad?

That's how it worked in the 2014 movie.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

wdarkk posted:

Does this make the MUTOs your... adoptive parents? Mom and stepdad?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

But we can examine those specific examples, and they aren’t separable from the ‘flaws’.

Of course! Even taken at the most basic level, they at the very least do objectively occur in the same movie. My enjoyment of them was the only real subjective part, I apologize for being unclear about that.

For example, the Rodan chase occurs immediately after Millie B declares mom a monster for deferring to Charles Dance on the topic of prioritizing the fate of the Earth over individual civilian lives.

I believe they were also talking about the shelters at this point, so it wasn't as binary a choice as Charles Dance made it out to be: hypothetically speaking, delaying Rodan's awakening by a longer duration of time would have enabled more people to reach safety. I think that's where Millie B's consternation stemmed from, namely that it was fine if some people died in the process as long as she didn't have to see it or could save as many people as she could. It very much seemed like a faux-progressive perspective on foreign policies, wherein it's fine if it happens, so long as we don't have to see it!

Then, in the chase scene, the SHIELD guys in the Helicarrier pretty much use the Mexican civilians as bait to trick Rodan into fighting Ghidorah - i.e. convincing Millie B to betray the ‘ecoterrorists.’ The Mexicans are pawns in the greater conflict between terrorists and counter-terrorists - hence why they disappear and are immediately forgotten. Where did they go?

Hmm - I'm going to have to watch the movie again at some point, but it looked to me as if they were desperately trying to use the Argo to bait Rodan into fighting Ghidorah. The lives of the Mexican civilians are, unfortunately, lost in the process. Mass loss of human life and cataclysmic destruction reminded me of Godzilla's introduction in Godzilla 2014, wherein the scope of the Kaiju and their actions are so great that humanity simply doesn't have a chance at any sort of survival in their wake. In this sense, then, I'd say that the Mexican civilians aren't even pawns, but little more than collateral damage in the wake of titans.

The film of course does not present things in such kynical terms - the heroes are ‘just saving lives’ - but there’s obviously nothing neutral/apolitical about this ‘just saving lives.’ It’s all done in the name of ‘The Natural Order’ where White Dad is king and there’s a massively over-funded government agency run by crackpots and engaged in black ops. (Who gave the monster hunters authority to use deadly force on humans and conduct military operations in Mexico?)

Godzilla 2014 has this same undercurrent, wherein the preservation of the natural order (even at the loss of thousands of lives) is prioritized above all else. What changed, however, is how the kaiju are depicted in the film itself, especially in conjunction with the glowing depiction of Monarch as an almost magically empowered organization in comparison to what it was in Godzilla 2014 and Skull Island. Discussing the possibility of killing titans/kaiju like Godzilla becomes a matter of moral necessity, rather than the ridiculous impossibility it was back in 2014. Anything that comes out of the Castle Bravo test with little more than a tan and a sunny disposition isn't plausibly killable by any stretch of the imagination unless we bring magical technology into the equation. It seems to come down to the creation of a more secular world/destruction of faith, if that makes sense?

Considering the increasingly God(zilla)less world the characters live in (wherein Godzilla is the unsurpassable and incomprehensible incarnation of Leviathan or what have you), we have an increased focus on a more militarized and kinda fascistic Monarch. What authority could they answer to when it comes to using deadly force on humans and conducting military operations wherever they like? Certainly not the United States government, as emphasized in the Senate hearing. They have essentially usurped the closest thing to divinity in the Monsterverse, it's their world now.

Likewise, Serizawa’s supercharging Of Godzilla occurs immediately after he gives White Dad the “fortune cookie” pep talk. Then we get the dual loaded images of the submarine bursting out of the water, and the invigorated Godzilla shooting his laser straight up into the air as a display of pure power. After that, White Dad is really hyped about using Godzilla to attack Ghidorah, like nobody else thought of just shooting Ghidorah with rockets before.

I think it goes back in line with Godzilla's dethroning as a divine figure and Monarch's elevation. It's not just that Godzilla's showing off his atomic breath, he's doing it in an attempt to threaten and intimidate the people on the ship. In that sense, White Dad's characterization struggling to prove himself would, of course, emphasize with Godzilla and his own need to prove that he's the Alpha Predator or however he's characterized now.

So, like, what’s the relation between Serizawa and White Dad that made him feel compelled to die for him, becoming one with Godzilla’s spirit and leading Dad to victory? This is where we needed more context about what MONARCH actually does, and what Serizawa’s role is - because it could be argued that he’s dying for MONARCH, but what makes these idiots worth dying for?

The relationship between White Dad and Godzilla doesn't seem as strong as that of Bryan Cranston and Godzilla. I think it's less that Serizawa wanted to die for Monarch/White Dad and more that he wanted to become one with Godzilla's spirit. In other words, he's kinda like Charles Dance, but instead of sacrificing everybody else for what he believes will create a better world, he sacrifices himself. Why then does Godzilla, empowered by Serizawa's spirit/sacrifice, feel the need to intimidate his fellow coworkers and friends? Maybe he just didn't like them very much, it's certainly strange!

Ghidorah is declared “an invasive species”, of course, but the very concept of “invasive species” is highly controversial - and even that term is used somewhat incorrectly; Ghidorah doesn’t reproduce - doesn’t spread and drive other species out of their ecological niche - and he doesn’t even appear to be harming the environment. He causes wind storms, as Rodan does. We get exposition that he’s terraforming the Earth, but that’s never really illustrated.

If we look at Godzilla as the Alpha Predator/keeper of the natural order as in 2014, it makes sense. Godzilla's supposed to be the one who runs and maintains things, by usurping him, Ghidorah is acting as a very monstrous invasive species indeed. Yet again, this all gets bungled (at least in my view) by Godzilla's presentation as something that's already been removed from the presence of divine through scientific study (White Dad determining that he acts like a wolf would, observing his "hunting" patterns) and his vulnerability (surprise Oxygen Destroyer!). Of course, I'm also not fond of the Heisei era for the same reason, so that just might be my bias showing!

There’s vastly more emphasis on Ghidorah - i.e. Charles Dance, who is certainly not an “invasive species” - being a bad dad.

He was a father?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
^^^^^
Charles Dance is effectively Millie B's adoptive father. The ***subtext*** of the Vera Farmiglia twist is that mom was having an affair.

wdarkk posted:

And that was a carry-over from Vs. Hedorah.

Let's take the most convoluted story in the entire franchise: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. The one with the time-travel. Although it's not very good at all, even that film is easier to get a grip on than this one, because it has a story structure and a clear relationship between the characters and the monsters:

Everything between the opening credits and the appearance of Mecha King Ghidorah is a flashback. Emmy, a Japanese time-traveller, reflects on her previous journey into 1992, because she's faced with a decision. Knowing that, in the 2200s, Japan will grow to become the Earth's only capitalist superpower and oppress all other nations, she has the option of changing history. If she stops herself from creating Mecha King Ghidorah, Godzilla will run wild in Japan and history will change.

Ultimately she decides to preserve history - so the happy ending of the film is perversely that Emmy lets Japan become an Earth-conquering empire. Godzilla represented the possibility of radical change (there's a subplot where he literally smashes one of the corporations that would overtake the planet), so he got put down. Ghidorah takes over the Earth, and the heroes are happy.

This Godzilla 2 is the same deal, but more obscure.

Dammerung posted:

Hmm - I'm going to have to watch the movie again at some point, but it looked to me as if they were desperately trying to use the Argo to bait Rodan into fighting Ghidorah. The lives of the Mexican civilians are, unfortunately, lost in the process.

That's what I mean: the movie presents it as a purely utilitarian-pragmatic thing borne of desperation, but why didn't the helicopters just, you know, split up? Recall the bit where White Dad busts open the hangar door so that the civilians can get safely onboard the... big, awkward, slower-moving target. They're ultimately leading Rodan, convincing him to fight Ghidorah for them - foreshadowing the end where Rodan bows before Godzilla.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 17, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
MONARCH getting a shitload more resources makes sense after they went from a crackpot underground organisation to the only people who actually had answers when literal giant monsters came around and wrecked a couple of cities. And the giant stealth helicarrier was neat.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

MONARCH getting a shitload more resources makes sense after they went from a crackpot underground organisation to the only people who actually had answers when literal giant monsters came around and wrecked a couple of cities.

Well not really; in the plot of the 'franchise universe', the US government has known about kaijus since 1946. Like, they have footage of Godzilla dating back to sometime in the 1950s, and they've conducted covert military operations against him - including at least one thermonuclear bombing. The 2014 film's MONARCH is not underfunded because they're kooky idiot conspiracy theorists, but because the US government simply isn't this efficient god-machine. They're half-assing the coverup. They're cheapskates. The electrified MUTO cage was probably built by some lovely contractor, with half the budget mysteriously vanished.

On the other hand, in this particular narrative (like if this is someone's first-ever Godzilla film), then the US government's only known about kaijus for about five years. So the closest real-world analogy to MONARCH in Godzilla 2 is probably the First Earth Battalion and Stargate Project stuff outlined in The Men Who Stare At Goats. US Army experiments at conducting 'psychic warfare' along New Age spiritual principles:

"[Lieutenant Colonel Jim Channon] believed the Army could be the principal moral and ethical basis on which politics could harmonize in the name of the Earth. He declared that the First Earth Battalion's primary allegiance was to the planet earth. Channon envisioned that the First Earth Battalion would organize itself informally: uniforms without uniformity, structure without status, and unity powered by diversity, and members would be multicultural, with each race contributing to 'rainbow power'. He also proposed as a guiding principle that members of the First Earth Battalion seek nondestructive methods of conflict resolution because their first loyalty is to the planet."

So it's like there's an Akira-style catastrophic psychic event, and then suddenly the First Earth Batallion gets pulled out of mothballs the US spends five years and billions upon billions of dollars on worldwide cavernous pyramidal megastructures stocked with useless ginseng and crystals, jade yoni eggs - staffed by Deepak Chopras and so-forth. And, like, no. I'm not a total cynic; that's not how it would go down. They would just throw more cash at Lockheed Martin or something.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

So it's like there's an Akira-style catastrophic psychic event, and then suddenly the First Earth Batallion gets pulled out of mothballs the US spends five years and billions upon billions of dollars on worldwide cavernous pyramidal megastructures stocked with useless ginseng and crystals, jade yoni eggs - staffed by Deepak Chopras and so-forth. And, like, no. I'm not a total cynic; that's not how it would go down. They would just throw more cash at Lockheed Martin or something.

To be fair though that's a pretty dope idea for a movie!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Listen, his name is Mike, please stop referring to him as the insulting "'white dad" monicker.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
People Stare Intensely At Monitors: The Movie (feat. Godzilla King of Monsters)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

To be fair though that's a pretty dope idea for a movie!

I think it’s just less interesting than the Miki Saegusa story in the Versus Series, where the UN eventually just gives her a helicopter because she’s always around but almost totally useless.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Mantis42 posted:

Listen, his name is Mike, please stop referring to him as the insulting "'white dad" monicker.

I think his name is Mark.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Animal-Mother posted:

I think his name is Mark.

he was doing a bit.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

In G14, you get the feeling that Godzilla's presence is truly disruptive. To set things right, some epochal changes will have to happen. The nuclear family is not quite restored at the end, the vengeful spirit of the dad lives on, etc. To me anyway, there's a feeling of awe and that nothing will ever be the same.

In KOTM, that element is kind of gone. Now it seems that Godzilla is here to "restore" a pre-existing balance. The Titans are dangerous if lead by Ghidorah, but benign if lead by Godzilla. So the problem is not that their presence threatens to fundamentally change the world, it's just a question of hierarchy. Godzilla is, like, a good boss. Ghidorah is a bad "boss" for the Titans, and is bad in large part because he's "alien" and "unnatural".

The end credits show a vision of ecological restoration that doesn't seem to be fundamentally tranformative. The Titans eat toxic waste or whatever, but they don't cause the system that produces that waste in the first place to change.

So what do the Titans represent?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I generally dislike using the term "toothless" for various reasons, namely that it tends to be overused in many contexts, but something does have to be said for the fact that this film presupposes a fundamentally, exaggeratedly benign state of being for the titans.

I like the idea that mankind and titans can and should coexist, but it feels like the narrative establishes that as its starting point, as its thesis statement, instead of its conclusion. Instead of a cathartic realization to be worked towards and eventually achieved after much trials and tribulations, it feels like Monarch got handed the easy mode buttons with Godzilla just naturally predisposed to being benign, and then Mothra just naturally predisposed to...help Godzilla be benign.

Now, the good news is that any sequel predicated on Godzilla fighting Kong should very easily act as a counterpoint to that sentiment.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't know if it's explicitly going to be beneficial. The final shot of the film is everybody bowing to Godzilla. Even humanity as a Titan itself cannot stand up to him. It's Godzilla's imposed world order. It might benefit humanity now but only because humanity is not allowed to act out of turn, just like the other Titans. Because really, what can humanity do to another titan? If a Titan makes its hunting ground with Godzilla's consent and humans encroach on it, Big G doesn't even have to deal with us himself, we can't do poo poo to a Titan. To me the uncertainty of that final scene made me feel like it was an enforced peace that happens to be beneficial, so long as humans don't step out of line.

Kong likes humans, while Godzilla recognizes people as a power, but being beneath him. I doubt we'll get villainous Godzilla for Kong vs Godzilla, but I can see him being the kind of King who lets humanity get punished for thinking we can go against his rule and try to take on another Titan. He's there to enforce order, not to protect humanity. Kong is closer to humans than any other Titan, and he could take umbrage with that kind of leadership.

Then you throw a Destroyah/MechaGhidrah into the mix and the whole thing gets thrown out of whack again.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I felt like Kong had a somewhat similar relationship to the humans as KOTM Godzilla. He killed pretty much everyone who threatened or attacked him. He didn't seem especially like a protector of the Skull Islanders specifically, they just didn't threaten him at all. Kong just really hated the Skullcrawlers who were the biggest threat on the island.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Kong did go out of his way to protect Brie Larson during the climax, though that may just be payback for her helping him.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

nemesis_hub posted:

The end credits show a vision of ecological restoration that doesn't seem to be fundamentally tranformative. The Titans eat toxic waste or whatever, but they don't cause the system that produces that waste in the first place to change.

So what do the Titans represent?

As with a lot of things in this film, the story begins with a retcon.

In Godzilla 2014, the city of Janjira becomes overgrown with plants because Serizawa put up a fake quarantine for 15 years. The MUTO has nothing to do with the plant growth. At most, it absorbed/consumed the radiation from the nuclear power plant.

MUTOs in 2014 are maybe useful for decontaminating nuclear disaster sites, but at the cost of destroying all modern technology, spreading across the globe, laying waste to cities and killing Godzilla.

(Note: there is basically no indication that Godzilla 2014 consumes radiation. Godzillas emit radiation in the 2014 film, and the MUTOs consume it. They’re parasites who feed on Godzillas, use Godzilla corpses as nests, etc.

Supercharging Godzilla with an atomic bomb is therefore totally against the story logic established in the 2014 film. Eating radiation is a trait of the 1984/Versus Series Godzilla - because Godzilla 2 is both a remake of the ‘Versus Series’ films and a stealth reboot of the ‘Monsterverse’).

But anyways, the point is that Serizawa was the one who maintained ‘the natural order’ - the cosmic balance and whatever - via lies and repression, whereas Cranston’s character is a radical figure of imbalance, of truth. And Godzilla is associated with him, as a figure of truth. Serizawa eventually changes and decides that Godzilla represents a greater balance, but he’s wrong. Godzilla doesn’t represent balance with nature. He decapitates the MUTO, like “NO.”

So 2019 is a very different film. Despite the exposition about 17 monsters, the three boring new monsters that don’t do anything, and the nonsensical MUTO cameo, we really only have one ‘non-royalty’ monster in the film: Rodan.

So what does Rodan actually do? Even there, it’s unclear. Does she(?) resent being trapped in the volcano, seeking revenge against MONARCH? Her main (or only) trait is that she’s seemingly having fun blowing things up. Obviously, Rodan does absolutely nothing eco-friendly. There’s a headline at the end that says kaiju poo poo [e.g. Rodan’s poo poo] has special properties And, like, sure - but what is Rodan consuming?

Moreover, who is gathering, processing, and distributing the poo poo? Who’s paying for all this? These are, of course, things they don’t want you to ask. All emphasis is simply on Rodan as unruly child who must learn to obey.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 19, 2019

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Having seen all the Rodan appearances over the years from my rewatching, that seems to be on point at least. Rodan’s nothing if he’s not someone’s little poo poo.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

(Note: there is basically no indication that Godzilla 2014 consumes radiation. Godzillas emit radiation in the 2014 film, and the MUTOs consume it. They’re parasites who feed on Godzillas, use Godzilla corpses as nests, etc.

Supercharging Godzilla with an atomic bomb is therefore totally against the story logic established in the 2014 film. Eating radiation is a trait of the 1984/Versus Series Godzilla - because Godzilla 2 is both a remake of the ‘Versus Series’ films and a stealth reboot of the ‘Monsterverse’).

Graham says Godzilla feeds on radiation in '14. You're making stuff up again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I figured Godzilla has an internal nuclear reactor, as do most Kaiju, but the same process means they can feed on ambient radiation. Iirc the idea was they evolved to feed on massive radiation levels during the Permian period.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Considering his writings on G14 made me enjoy the movie a lot more, it's strange to see these details overlooked. Also, the MUTOs don't destroy tech as I understand, just make it not work while they're around.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That’s one character’s theory expressed in the expository dialogue, but we are never shown it. We’re constantly shown the MUTOs feeding on nuclear bombs, nuclear reactors, radioactive Godzilla corpses, and nuclear waste, but Godzilla 2014 is seemingly entirely indifferent to those things.

Godzilla 1984, on the other hand, eats nuclear reactors, a nuclear bomb, a nuclear sub, radiation from Fire Rodan....

That’s why you can’t rely on exposition. In the original Rodan, the scientist character theorizes that Rodan was revived by atomic testing, but then admits that he actually has no idea what’s going on.