Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why all the stupid limits on everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
So they can add bandoliers later at a stupid price!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Reign Of Pain posted:

You'll eventually be able to make other types of shotgun shells like incendiary and slugs. You'll be able to add 60 slugs to the 60 regular shells that you already carry. Pretty sure the limit for incendiary is 10.

Note that you can't craft regular slugs, just explosive ones and the pamphlet is level locked to the 80s.

It's also drat near $1k, or 36 gold, and you can only carry ten of the things. Until you hit 44 when you can buy slugs, they only spawn in one place on the map and that's a bandit camp north of Valentine.

I just want a bandoleer full of shotgun ammo cause it looks so cool :(

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Hugh Malone posted:

I'm lvl 43 and it's still 60, that might be it.

I wonder if I have 120 though, because I have dual sawed-offs? I'll have to check if that's a thing. I don't use them that much.

One thing that can help though, is to stock up a bunch of ammo through the catalog. Then you can pick it up at post offices and your camp...

I have dual sawed offs too - it’s only 60 between all shotguns. I just realized I can stock up and pick it up at the post office though - that is helpful at least.

Thanks everyone.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Thanks to hitting level 25 at just the right time and promotions that were giving out gold and maps, there was a point yesterday when I had just done four consecutive treasure maps and had 30 gold and about 500 dollars.

Turns out I'm an old west hipster, cause I immediately went and spent all but 3 dollars and 8 gold bars on the poorest-looking clothes I could--dirty union suit with ropes holding up patched pants, patched up flat cap, rope belt. I got some other poo poo, too, but I was amused at how much I spent on rope to wear and worn out pants, etc.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Did they ever fix it so that, be it in single player or RDO, when your character is overweight, it shows? Online it says my character is overweight, but he still looks twiggy.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
There's a more obviously overweight player model in RDO but as far as the overweight status I haven't had enough food come my way in it to really look

In single player it was a little more obvious in Arthur's neck and cheeks than anything. His body was still pretty fit. I remember getting to the epilogue and starting as underweight John was pretty scary though. He looked genuinely wrong.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

It shows in online, at least for the chonky lady model. At no time does the gun belt fit right.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Sax Solo posted:

It shows in online, at least for the chonky lady model. At no time does the gun belt fit right.

Yeah I chose a plump, middle aged lady avatar and my gun belt is inside my skirt.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I finished Redemption 2 over the weekend and I feel let down, especially in comparison to Redemption 2. Spoilers ahead as well as huge effortpost.

The ending of Redemption 1 absolutely devastated me because of how strong the narritive was, and it's strength lay in how it reinforced the theme of failure through every aspect of the story. John Marston failed to protect his family from the long reach of the feds. Reyes' rebellion failed to become anything but another brutal dictatorship. The West failed to resist the slow encroachment of modernization. Dutch failed to maintain another outlaw gang in the mountains north of Blackwater. There was that respite towards the end where John returned to Bleecher's Hope to reunite with his family and bond with his son. But John's success turned to failure as the feds descended to his ranch and cut him down in a hail of gunfire. And in the final bit of cruel irony, he failed to break the wheel of criminality as Jack went down the path of the bandit to track Agent Ross down to take revenge in his name. This game was a Greek Tragedy with the message of the sins of the father being visited upon the son so powerful that by the credits, I was absolutely devastated. This game was lightning in a bottle and there was no way that Rockstar could pull that trick off twice.

Rockstar tried to revisit the theme of failure again in Redemption 2 but they forgot what made it so strong in Redemption 1 was that it gave us that brief moment of respite at Bleecher's hope-a false sense of peace and success to lull us into thinking that Marston had won before gut-punching us with that raid and John's death in a hail of bullets. There wasn't any of that in Redemption 2. Sure there were celebrations but throughout every chapter, we were constantly on the run and reminded of the fact-on the run from lawmen, O'Driscolls, and from Pinkerton Agents. Every heist carried out by the gang immediately went sideways or never went right, it always ended in extreme violence. On top of that there was that conflict between the narrative and the gameplay. Dutch and Arthur would keep replying that they needed "more money"-Dutch said he needed more money so the gang could escape to Tahiti and Arthur told Mary he needed more money before he could run away with her. But especially towards the third chapter, I was sitting on top of so much money I could easily hold up a store, gun down a whole posse of lawmen, and hightail it to another county to pay off the bounty, and still have enough money left over to do that three more times. "Money" was a hollow excuse, and Dutch's bad schemes got real frustrating after a while to the point where I felt I was watching one of the bad seasons of Sons of Anarchy where I just wished Jax would kill Clay already and take over the gang. It left me wondering why nobody challenged Dutch's leadership at any point in the game, especially during moments like when Jack was abducted, the failed San Denis bank robbery, or even the Pinkerton raid on Lakay. At what point did anyone in the gang figure "gently caress loyalty" and straight up challenge Dutch? I just ended up getting more and more frustrated towards the end because it became clear that this was all done to milk cheap tragedy.

If I was to re-write the story, I'd have it to where the bank robbery in San Denis was a success and Chapter V was instead set in Mexico instead of Guarma, therefore we could re-visit Nuevo Pardiso from Redemption 1 and see what it was like during the turn of the century. Finally out of reach of Pinkerton and US authority, the gang finds peace and settles down in one of the small villages and is lulled into a false sense of security. But some sort of local unrest tempts Dutch's sense of greed and with Micah in his ear, he leads the gang into one more heist that ends in complete failure and forces the gang to run away from the Mexican army into New Austin. It's there that the gang finally falls apart and Arthur helps John escape with his family. That moment of peace would be needed because it would be more effective in reinforcing how villainous Dutch really was. How the promise of paradise in Tahiti was a false promise and he was just using his gang as a means to an end to satiate his own megalomania and bottomless greed. Instead I was felt emotionally drained by the time Chapter 6 rolled around and just wanted it to end. It's not like this game didn't have any good parts in it. I enjoyed the hunting, the expanded stagecoach heists, and even the diverse geography. But that weak narrative undermined the game so much it made all the flaws that more apparent. How the third person combat system is incredibly clunky or the interaction system using the aim button is really easy to accidentally aim your gun at someone and antagonize them into a firefight. This game was so frustrating because there's really no other series like it that does the open world western setting so well and yet it feels like so many sequels in that it just put itself in neutral and coasted off the brilliance of the first game. I hope that the story and narrative of the next game is radically different from the past two. I don't want any more connection to the Van Der Linde gang or the Marstons at all, or else it's just gonna look weaker in comparison to that first, brilliant game.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 17, 2019

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Counter point: 2 is better than 1

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
You have to factor in time though. When RDR1 came out, there really wasn't anything attempting the narrative it did. I disagree that RDR2 is weaker, but I can understand why on a mechanical level it felt old. Take a mission, line up a headshot, proceed. That part didn't bother me, what did bother me is the nagging feeling that RDR2 had the opportunity to push game narrative forward and it only sort of succeeded.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Regarding the money point specifically; there’s a journal entry or something that mentions they left behind six figures in black water, isn’t there? They don’t make it as obvious as they could have, but I do think that the Tahiti money in question specifically requires a lot more than you can make on your own in the game.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
The time between God of War 3 and 4 was almost the same amount of time between Redemption 1 and 2. In that time, SIE Santa Monica progessed the series narrative from a ultraviolent farce to a somber father-son redemption tale. Rockstar in comparison regressed the overall narrative between the two stories. I'd hope that Rockstar would take notice but something tells me they're too focused on milking their online modes for cash to frankly care.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Fe: wasn’t really what I planned for this post initially but I guess small thing about my perspective of the end of the game:

The money in game is kind of all over the place. In some cases it feels pretty accurate, but then they went very videogamey with the prices and the resulting amounts of money they gave you for crimes and activities. I looked it up afterward and stuff like the $3 bowl of soup is equivalent to $100 today. I’m not an expert on inflation or anything but it was kind of jarring enough to me to take me out of the game a bit, even without knowing the exact figures. I had about $5,000 saved up at one point as Arthur which is roughly ~$130,000 today. If they had even $100,000 in black water, that’s nearly 3 million.

The idea that they couldn’t get away on what they had was kind of ridiculous and definitely stood out to me at the time. Making the story be about “we need more money” constantly when I couldn’t need money less is definitely jarring. They certainly should have made the game stop being about money at some point.

On the point of RDR1 - I haven’t played it, so I can’t compare the two. I will say that repeating a tragedy doesn’t sound like a recipe for success. I thoroughly enjoyed the story of Arthur and seeing John get out alive and have (even temporary) success felt like a nice touch even if it was unnecessary. I probably wouldn’t even have played as Marsten if the game didn’t ramp up just how lovely Dutch and Micah were and offering no gratification whatsoever for how much you suffer through before Arthur dies, though. And I get it. They really wanted a carrot to keep you going the post-game content because if it were just John getting his ranch it would feel like a big wet fart.

I guess mostly it just feels like the game doesn’t really stick the landing. Even as strong as the end sequence is with Arthur, a large part of me couldn’t forget just how instantly and off the rails everyone seems to go. Not so much the jobs going bad but just how quickly everything devolves - in camp and everyone’s relationships - with what felt like no story justification and 0 respect for anything Arthur has ever done.

^ e: I feel like a lot of my gripes wouldn’t have existed had the game not been clearly positioned to push online play.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 17, 2019

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

RD1 felt like a series of events strung together that maybe didn’t do anything but push the plot forward.

I thought in RD2, the constant failures helped to paint a very bleak picture of where the plot was going. From the second we pick up with the gang, nothing goes right - it’s all down hill. Even the celebration of Jack’s return, the only really happy moment, was because of a major fuckup

Side note: online is really something special. I can’t connect to the PvP modes for more than a few minutes at a time no matter what I do, going on three days. I’ll connect for a bit after trying for 20 minutes and then get disconnected. This is GTAV at launch bad.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ugato posted:

Fe: wasn’t really what I planned for this post initially but I guess small thing about my perspective of the end of the game:

The money in game is kind of all over the place. In some cases it feels pretty accurate, but then they went very videogamey with the prices and the resulting amounts of money they gave you for crimes and activities. I looked it up afterward and stuff like the $3 bowl of soup is equivalent to $100 today. I’m not an expert on inflation or anything but it was kind of jarring enough to me to take me out of the game a bit, even without knowing the exact figures. I had about $5,000 saved up at one point as Arthur which is roughly ~$130,000 today. If they had even $100,000 in black water, that’s nearly 3 million.

The idea that they couldn’t get away on what they had was kind of ridiculous and definitely stood out to me at the time. Making the story be about “we need more money” constantly when I couldn’t need money less is definitely jarring. They certainly should have made the game stop being about money at some point.

On the point of RDR1 - I haven’t played it, so I can’t compare the two. I will say that repeating a tragedy doesn’t sound like a recipe for success. I thoroughly enjoyed the story of Arthur and seeing John get out alive and have (even temporary) success felt like a nice touch even if it was unnecessary. I probably wouldn’t even have played as Marsten if the game didn’t ramp up just how lovely Dutch and Micah were and offering no gratification whatsoever for how much you suffer through before Arthur dies, though. And I get it. They really wanted a carrot to keep you going the post-game content because if it were just John getting his ranch it would feel like a big wet fart.

I guess mostly it just feels like the game doesn’t really stick the landing. Even as strong as the end sequence is with Arthur, a large part of me couldn’t forget just how instantly and off the rails everyone seems to go. Not so much the jobs going bad but just how quickly everything devolves - in camp and everyone’s relationships - with what felt like no story justification and 0 respect for anything Arthur has ever done.

^ e: I feel like a lot of my gripes wouldn’t have existed had the game not been clearly positioned to push online play.

Yeah I agree with you there at least. Even if the Tahiti money goal is insurmountably high, the game doesn’t communicate that very clearly or, in any other way, set the impression that money is scarce or valuable after chapter 2. I think there’s a more interesting (but not necessarily more fun) version of the game where the money flow is restricted and it’s more important to regularly spend it on camp supplies or something to really drive home the whole “we’re starving and desperate” angle. But on the other hand, being able to drop wads on cigarettes and fancy horses without having to check your bank balance is also fun so who knows what the right thing to do is.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I mean I felt that was kind of the point, money was never *really* the issue. They could have been rolling in dough and Dutch would have been all "Son, ah got a plan for one more heist!" until the dying end. To which Arthur counters "But" and Dutch counters "LOYALTY"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Ainsley McTree posted:

Regarding the money point specifically; there’s a journal entry or something that mentions they left behind six figures in black water, isn’t there? They don’t make it as obvious as they could have, but I do think that the Tahiti money in question specifically requires a lot more than you can make on your own in the game.

Yeah, if you look at how its split up afterward it has to be over 100k and essentially the 1890s equivalent of millions and millions. But that wouldn't have mattered because Guarma shows that no matter where they go, they will end up on some side in some conflict because of the way Dutch is, not because of their specific situation on the mainland. As weak and disjointed as Guarma is that part comes across clearly.

But anyway, regarding RDR1 being better than 2, I...disagree! The whole 'cycle of violence perpetuating itself' in the first is great and thematically stronger than 2, but there is a lot of chaff to get there. They really, really go out of their way to make sure nearly everyone you meet in the first game is a hateful, lying rear end in a top hat who either end up betraying Marston or only eventually helping him after wasting his time for a few days. Mexico is a confusing mess of Marston playing both sides without actually trying to hide it, being surprised when this is discovered, and him only getting away through a kind of convoluted Bond villain 'tie him up instead of just shooting him' sequence of events. Almost every sidequest is some dumbass dying or failing despite Marston trying to help. Every woman in the game is a prostitute, a helpless victim, or both. Its exhaustingly bleak.

2 has an uphill battle in that you basically know how its going to end, but I think it does a pretty exceptional job of making you care about the journey. The characters are fantastic and while they don't all get more than a couple little vignettes (and some, like Micah, are absolutely as shallow as they first appear) the way you can talk to them and see them going about their lives at camp give them a considerable amount of depth. Like, just having actual interesting, well-written female characters is a feat in and of itself considering their last game was GTAV but the way you spend time with the whole gang over the course of the main story elevates Dutch's gang far beyond anything R* has done prior.

I also went into it somewhat begrudgingly because Arthur Morgan seems like an even more stock-cowboy character than John Marston, but I really came around to him in the end and was almost disappointed to be back in Marston's shoes, even though that's what I'd wanted at the beginning. I know the gang is already pretty much hosed by the time the game even begins but what glimpses you see of the good life they had before (mostly in the first couple chapters) really make you feel why this kind of anarchic communal outlaw life is so appealing to Arthur, and why he kind of clings to that idealism longer than he should even after he should start to know better. They also do a good job of structuring a lot of the Chapter 6 optional missions around this idea of atonement because he knows that even if the gang escapes he won't, so all he can do is try to make it right for the good people around him. Obviously as an open-world game a lot of this might not mesh because you decided that Chapter 6 was gonna be when you spend five hours doing bandit challenged and killing random townsfolk, but they do at least point you in the right direction of thematic relevance!

The epilogue is unnecessary but I kind of like that it's a love letter to RDR1 and does give John at least some measure of happiness before it all falls apart. Also worth noting that we see during the credits that Abigail was right; if he had been able to walk from the money, the agents wouldn't have started looking and wouldn't have eventually found him. It's a nice touch, and it really hammers the point home when you run into a few members of the gang who did walk away and actually lead normal lives.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Basically Dutch was running a cult, and the key gimmicks to a cult are A) you always have to escalate to keep your people from wandering, B) you have to keep them perpetually with nothing to make them feel like the cult is giving them everything. It just so happens that Dutch's version of escalation would have inevitably pulled them right out of step B on its own devices, so he stomped the gas really hard on step A.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

RD1 felt like a series of events strung together that maybe didn’t do anything but push the plot forward.

I thought in RD2, the constant failures helped to paint a very bleak picture of where the plot was going. From the second we pick up with the gang, nothing goes right - it’s all down hill. Even the celebration of Jack’s return, the only really happy moment, was because of a major fuckup

this. 1 is good and great for its time. but 2 feels alot more connected both thematically and story wise and it feels like long hbo mini series. it also does a disturbing good job at buying into dutchs bullshit at least for the first third/half and shows how revenge always bites the avenger in the rear end. like there are a ton of times the gang could just walk away and go underground but because of [spoiler] dutchs greed/ believing in his own bullshit and micas prodding. poo poo always gets worse. i also like that uncle is basicaly the benjamin(animal farm) of the story and is one of the first and only to fully see through dutches bullshit.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ugato posted:

Rockstar has had this disconnect for awhile. I remember having stupid money in GTA4 while Niko was still acting like he needed to scrape together cash.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ugato posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed the story of Arthur and seeing John get out alive and have (even temporary) success felt like a nice touch even if it was unnecessary. I probably wouldn't even have played as Marsten if the game didn't ramp up just how lovely Dutch and Micah were and offering no gratification whatsoever for how much you suffer through before Arthur dies, though. And I get it. They really wanted a carrot to keep you going the post-game content because if it were just John getting his ranch it would feel like a big wet fart.

I guess mostly it just feels like the game doesn't really stick the landing. Even as strong as the end sequence is with Arthur, a large part of me couldn't forget just how instantly and off the rails everyone seems to go. Not so much the jobs going bad but just how quickly everything devolves - in camp and everyone's relationships - with what felt like no story justification and 0 respect for anything Arthur has ever done.

I took a break from playing the game when you fail to rob the big bank and get shipwrecked on the island. Then I found myself not really wanting to finish it out. Seems like a good stopping point for the story and I was getting pissed off at Dutch's incompetence and money grubbing in general. I've played RDR1 so I know what happens anyway.

I also felt that disconnect between "ahh we need money" and "but I have like, $20k on me just right now." Although I did kinda just chalk it up to Dutch being a greedy fuckass while playing. That dude wouldn't be satisfied with anything *but* a final big heist that all goes to poo poo, doesn't matter how much money you've already got. Dutch has to be a big badass and "fight the power" regardless. That's his hamartia.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 17, 2019

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Rockstar has had this disconnect for awhile. I remember having stupid money in GTA4 while Niko was still acting like he needed to scrape together cash.

On the flipside, GTAV kept screwing you out of money and people were mad about that, so I prefer the version where you still have enough money to gently caress around and buy whatever clothes/guns/fancy saddles and horsey braids you want even if the plot has you scraping by.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Tbf if you looked up the scripted stock price moves before you did those missions you could have way more money than you'd ever really need.

I think there's also some more fiddly stuff where like you can repeatedly blow up planes from a certain airline and it would affect their stock prices. Like Le Chiffre.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 17, 2019

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

DeathChicken posted:

I mean I felt that was kind of the point, money was never *really* the issue. They could have been rolling in dough and Dutch would have been all "Son, ah got a plan for one more heist!" until the dying end. To which Arthur counters "But" and Dutch counters "LOYALTY"

Agreed, but nobody says that they have enough. No one questions that they might have enough. Arthur questions if it’s worth it but that’s the only argument we get. There wasn’t even hinting at it from the characters. I certainly felt that way myself (“Oh. Dutch is just a greedy gently caress.”) but I seemed to be alone in that assessment. I think if that was something they brought up that alone might have changed my view of it

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Bonnie was neither a prostitute nor some helpless victim tyvm

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

Bonnie was neither a prostitute nor some helpless victim tyvm

She definitely gets kidnapped at least once, possibly twice, and might also have been assaulted in that time?? I forget the details. She also nurses the protagonist back to health and falls in love with him which is, like, the other trope.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

DeathChicken posted:

Also Arthur isn't going to threaten Dutch too much because he's basically his adoptive father. (Which fits the "make them feel like they having nothing without the cult" option).

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
The main story never really worked for me because Dutch was supposed to be this ultra charasmatic man who could sweet talk anyone in to doing whatever he wanted, you even hear the camp crew bring it up a few times about how amazing he is/used to be, but you certainly never see it. He is so transparently a complete and utter loving moron, why anyone has ever or continues to go along with his plans is just baffling to me.

Also, you're outlaws, just stowaway on a passenger boat to Australia or whatever tropical country is available, you think the passengers or crew are going to stand up to a group of people like Arthur? I know it's a long journey but I donated a gently caress ton of food to the camp stores before I realised it didn't actually do anything that I'm sure we have enough food in that luggage.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

RDR3 will be a prequel showing Dutch putting the gang together in the first place, and we'll play as one of the dudes that dies during the Blackwater job.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

Tbf if you looked up the scripted stock price moves before you did those missions you could have way more money than you'd ever really need.

I think there's also some more fiddly stuff where like you can repeatedly blow up planes from a certain airline and it would affect their stock prices. Like Le Chiffre.

GTA V was weird in that you quickly earned enough money to cover any reasonable necessities (ammo, body armor, uhhhhh i think that's all you needed in that game actually) but then there was this tier of property and luxury items that you could never hope to afford in a reasonable time (unless you wait to do the assassination missions until after the game, maybe? but even then) and it wasn't really clear why they were there at all in single player.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yeah I spent ages grinding out the cash to buy that loving golf club thinking there must be some cool special content associated with such a ridiculous price tag, absolutely waste of time. I really wish the businesses you can buy actually had their own little subplots like some of the ones in Vice City*, but nah just a few low effort cut and paste deliveries etc.

* yes I definitely have very much rose tinted glasses about vice city

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I would imagine most of the gang are ignorant about how much cash they actually have as well as how much cash it would take to ship all of them to Tahiti with enough left over to purchase a farm or whatever. They trust the guys in charge because that's what they've always done and it's generally worked out well enough in that they've stayed alive and out of jail.

Also the gang is all they have, it's their only family at that point. Even when they start to doubt that Dutch still has it they don't exactly have a lot of options.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

screaden posted:

The main story never really worked for me because Dutch was supposed to be this ultra charasmatic man who could sweet talk anyone in to doing whatever he wanted, you even hear the camp crew bring it up a few times about how amazing he is/used to be, but you certainly never see it. He is so transparently a complete and utter loving moron, why anyone has ever or continues to go along with his plans is just baffling to me.

I just assumed everyone was generally more stupid then, so Dutch's silver tongue was much more impressive. Or maybe just more effective.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
im replaying RDR2 right now after not touching it for about six months. think I'm actually enjoying this play-through more, even found some things on the map I somehow missed (i nearly 100%'d it first play through). pretty drat satisfying to replay, to my surprise

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Gotta love spawn camping. Maybe in five or six games from now Rockstar will have figured out how to deal with it. Maybe by not making the grace period in which you are invulnerable as the same in which you can't attack someone.

This is Hostile Territory, Oil Fields. Grab a bow, crouch behind the enemy spawn and pick them off since bows are 1-hit-kills there. Enjoy your 1250 exp (the minimum in which that guy got, not counting the extra 5 from headshots and 5 if he used dead eye).

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Jimbot posted:

Gotta love spawn camping. Maybe in five or six games from now Rockstar will have figured out how to deal with it. Maybe by not making the grace period in which you are invulnerable as the same in which you can't attack someone.

This is Hostile Territory, Oil Fields. Grab a bow, crouch behind the enemy spawn and pick them off since bows are 1-hit-kills there. Enjoy your 1250 exp (the minimum in which that guy got, not counting the extra 5 from headshots and 5 if he used dead eye).

What's the one where you get points based on the weapon you use? I was playing that in Saint Denis yesterday and people have figured out the spawn points there too. I was cut down by a hatchet like four times in a single match the second I spawned. I had barely taken a few steps - got me the second the grace period stopped.

Total side note: my PS4 HDMI port seems to have gone bad. I've tried all the tricks I've seen online - except for the one video that suggested standing on it. I can't find a single place near me in NJ that repairs PS4s - how easy is it to replace the HDMI ports? My skill level at this stuff is way above novice, but way below expert. I can install HDs and memory in a computer/labtop no problem.

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 20, 2019

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

I finished Redemption 2 over the weekend and I feel let down, especially in comparison to Redemption 2. Spoilers ahead as well as huge effortpost.
I think you're just really, really wrong in your read of the theme. It's a story very, very much not about failure.

There's a really important choice made in Arthur's last ride. The stuff you're hearing generally isn't the big quests... it's small stuff like the Valentine veteran. Life is full of pain and Dutch's gang is doomed to fail in a way that Arthur never could have stopped and never had it in him to leave. But despite it all, Arthur is able to choose to do some good and the game tells us not that Arthur is a good person because of those choices, but that all the good you do still matters.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I feel like that last conversation with the nun pretty explicitly spells that out. "I'm clearly a bad person." "Yet here you are doing good stuff. All you are is the mark you leave."