Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I think the assault on the the police station in The Terminator would be way too scary for an 8 year old, that poo poo is intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

T2 is absolutely fine for an 8 year old. T1 depends on the kid.

My mum never let me watch cool stuff like that, but my best friend's mum did and my childhood was richer for having seen Robocop, Predator and Total Recall.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My grandmother would record horror movies from HBO and such onto VHS and watch them with me. I remember my parents getting a call home when I was about six years old because I was telling my classmates how Freddy's tongue comes out of the phone when he becomes someone's boyfriend.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
T2 was my first R rated movie and I think I was like 12. The impalement scene and the apocalyptic nightmare really hosed with me. I can’t imagine even being interested in it at age 8.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I think I was 10 or so when Silence of the Lambs came out, and my mom thought it'd be fun to watch with me when it was on HBO or whatever, but I was pretty bored and didn't pay much attention, so I left before anything really intense happened. I do remember asking her about the dog, and she lied and said the creepy dude caught and ate it, so I didn't want to watch the rest and left. Keep in mind I didn't pick up any of the actual movie, only wondered about the dog.

She has a bad habit of doing that with movies. Like the Changeling movie with Angie Jolie? She told me it was about a single mother trying to find her son. Boring. Lifetime does that every week. If she had said oh yes, mother trying to find her son, and there's a serial killer too, and an insane asylum where they lobotomize women who act uppity, I'd be all in.

It's like the reverse of the trailer that spoils the entire movie.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
My parents had a catchphrase to acknowledge whenever they showed me age-inappropriate TV or movies: "we're going to Hell for this." I think T2 was the first time I remember that phrase being deployed.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My first R rated movie was Blue Thunder. That scene with the lady stretching blew my 11 year old mind.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I have a particularly precocious 7-year-old who thinks Five Nights at Freddy's is the coolest thing on earth (he's never played it but his friends apparently do, wtf) and loves to watch his big brother play Doom, but I'm somehow more concerned about him falling down the YouTube rabbit hole - even watching "kid plays Mario Kart" or whatever has historically led to recommendations in the pewdiepie/gamer words sphere, horrible prank channels, stuff that's way too mature for him and that he doesn't understand, but stuff he will one hundred percent repeat to his friends.

On the other hand I watched Mannequin, Short Circuit 2 and Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold when I was 8 and those all scarred me for years so maybe people should pay more attention to how their specific kids feel about specific things and how it affects them, idk

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I watched Aliens in the theater on original release. Also I'm 34 years old

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

TheKennedys posted:

I'm somehow more concerned about him falling down the YouTube rabbit hole - even watching "kid plays Mario Kart" or whatever has historically led to recommendations in the pewdiepie/gamer words sphere, horrible prank channels, stuff that's way too mature for him and that he doesn't understand, but stuff he will one hundred percent repeat to his friends.

We've banned YouTUbe in the house unless there's a parent present. There's some really creepy weird poo poo on there disguised as children's fare, even with the content filter on.

Yikes

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Evilreaver posted:

I watched Aliens in the theater on original release. Also I'm 34 years old

Just doing some rough math in my head you probably saw a lot more tits during that movie than the rest of the audience.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i saw terminator 2 when i was about 5 because my uncle was still in high school and would show me all sorts of movies like aliens and night of the living dead

but the craziest thing that ever happened to me was being in middle school and getting invited to see a movie with a friend's family. it was me, her, her parents and her two sisters, who were like 13 and 10. we go to the movie theater in 2002 and we see... red dragon

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
When I was a kid my dad decided he really wanted to see the movie Carrie, but he didn't want to see it alone, so he pulled his 8-year-old son aside during a family outing to Blockbuster and was like "I'm renting this one on the sly, my boy, don't tell your mother" and then he snuck out of bed that night and got me up to watch it with him.

Ultimately the joke was on him because I was so terrified I insisted on sleeping in my parents' bed for like a month afterward.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Pussy Quipped posted:

This might have been brought up before, but I’m gonna ask anyway. I was watching Blade Runner earlier today for the first time in probably 10 years. Does Deckard rape Rachael?? Is that what happens in that scene? It’s very odd, and maybe it’s just a product of its time, but it was super jarring to watch with my girlfriend who has never seen the movie before.

Yeah. Ford and Young had ZERO chemistry onscreen so while it may not have been written as a rape scene it sure as hell does wind up looking like one. It's pretty widely known that Young hated Ford on the set.

While on the subject of Blade Runner, why does Deckard (badly) pretend to be a dressing room inspector to the female replicant? She doesn't know who the gently caress he is and his terrible voice acting just makes her more suspicious of him. The movie has some serious flaws but the imagery and Rutger Hauer save it. Roy Batty winds up being the protagonist of the film.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Gorson posted:

While on the subject of Blade Runner, why does Deckard (badly) pretend to be a dressing room inspector to the female replicant? She doesn't know who the gently caress he is and his terrible voice acting just makes her more suspicious of him. The movie has some serious flaws but the imagery and Rutger Hauer save it. Roy Batty winds up being the protagonist of the film.

I'm not sure why the character decides to do it, but I believe it's an homage to Bogart in The Maltese Falcon where he poses as that weird rare book collector earlier in the film.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Sand Monster posted:

I'm not sure why the character decides to do it, but I believe it's an homage to Bogart in The Maltese Falcon where he poses as that weird rare book collector earlier in the film.

It just makes it so hard to take Deckards character seriously. He's touted as this legendary retirer of replicants but he's bad at his job. He only kills two of them (1 in the back, 1 while they are doing gymnastics) and gets his rear end handed to him by each before "retiring" them. Rachael retires Leon, saving Deckard, and Batty hits his life span, again after saving Deckard.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Gorson posted:

It just makes it so hard to take Deckards character seriously. He's touted as this legendary retirer of replicants but he's bad at his job. He only kills two of them (1 in the back, 1 while they are doing gymnastics) and gets his rear end handed to him by each before "retiring" them. Rachael retires Leon, saving Deckard, and Batty hits his life span, again after saving Deckard.

Yeah it's a great movie, one of my top ten for sure but he is an awful awful dick. :munch:

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Gorson posted:

If he’s a replicant himself, he can’t have been around all that long, so the “legendary retirer of replicants” bit makes most sense as a lie, part of his deep, deep cover.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

BiggerBoat posted:

We've banned YouTUbe in the house unless there's a parent present. There's some really creepy weird poo poo on there disguised as children's fare, even with the content filter on.

Yikes

yeah we banned it for the two younger kids outright (oldest is 19) a couple years ago after we realized how terrible the algorithm still was even with filters/YouTube Kids. and nothing of value was lost.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Somebody hasn’t seen my 9 hour bloodborne lore series

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Rascar Capac posted:

If he’s a replicant himself, he can’t have been around all that long, so the “legendary retirer of replicants” bit makes most sense as a lie, part of his deep, deep cover.

That is a possibility, but it doesn't go far enough in explaining why Deckard is so bad at his job. We already know that replicants are designed for their intended environment: Batty is a combat model; Pris is a spacewhore. A replicant that is intended to hunt down other replicants would be akin to a combat model and certainly wouldn't run like Harrison Ford and would be able to fight it out better than Deckard does. Deckard gets his rear end kicked over and over as if he were a human fighting against replicants. Since Deckard being a replicant IS canon now, then we have to assume Deckard being the best at what he does is mostly cover; Nexus 6 has a lifespan of four years and that's a pretty short time to achieve legendary status. However, Batty's lifespan is also four years and is far better at combat than Deckard. Why? More combat experience? Maybe, but that doesn't address why the replicants are all stronger and more athletic than Deckard.

I like to think that Gaff is the actual "legendary" Bladerunner. It's very strongly implied that he is a replicant himself and obviously has inside knowledge of how replicant memories are implanted. My headcanon is that Deckard is actually freshly "hatched" and is sent after the other replicants because he is expendable. Gaff and the Police chief are using Deckard to flush out the replicants. The real answer here though is Scott didn't originally intend for Deckard to definitely be a replicant and only started liking the idea post-release.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Terminator 2 hosed me up as a 9 year old with the nuclear bomb scene. I thought i was about to die every time i heard a plane fly over my house for months.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Deckard being lovely at his job doesn't really have to be connected to the issue of if he is a replicant or not. I think the idea there is just that the whole "legendary bladerunner" thing is at least partially sarcasm, and really bladerunners are just a blunt instrument that are used to put down what the company thinks of as rabid animals.

Like, if you heard that a guy at Animal Control was thought of as "legendary", would that really be all that impressive?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

Deckard being lovely at his job doesn't really have to be connected to the issue of if he is a replicant or not. I think the idea there is just that the whole "legendary bladerunner" thing is at least partially sarcasm, and really bladerunners are just a blunt instrument that are used to put down what the company thinks of as rabid animals.

Like, if you heard that a guy at Animal Control was thought of as "legendary", would that really be all that impressive?

No, but wouldn't you send a combat model to hunt other combat models? There's no valid reason to send anything less.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Depends if i lived in an area with a buncha dangerous megafauna. That dude who put down a ton of man eating tigers had a lotta rep

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I thought the new blade runner movie made it pretty clear he was human? Wasn’t it a whole plot point that he knocked up the robot?

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

In the book a pet repairman fails to notice that a malfunctioning robocat is in fact a cat and it dies in the back of his flying car. Deckard in the movie is the spiritual successor to that character.

Skratchez has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Jun 17, 2019

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Harton posted:

I thought the new blade runner movie made it pretty clear he was human? Wasn’t it a whole plot point that he knocked up the robot?

It’s purposely vague. It’s either

A. Startling that a human and a replicant made a baby
B. Startling that two replicants made a baby

It doesn’t actually change the story of 2049 either way.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Harton posted:

I need to rewatch 2049 but from what I remember Rachael was able to have a baby because she was an experimental model (retconned). All other replicants are sterilized.

In interviews Scott has confirmed that Deckard is a replicant.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gorson posted:

We all know this doesn't count as proof, right?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
If you are going to gently caress up an 8 year old with movies, do it like when I was a kid and we watched Transformers The Movie. So much bawling when Optimus bought it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The blob freaked me out as a kid. I guess it's the fact that while the thing isn't terribly fast over open ground and would probably dessicate in the afternoon sun, it always caught people in some claustrophobic spot (phone booth, car, sewer, etc). Also several kids die on screen including the main kids best friend.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Panfilo posted:

Also several kids die on screen including the main kids best friend.

This is what got me. I had just reached the point where i understood "oh if a kid is on screen that kid is going to be fine" and then that happened.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Gorson posted:

Ridley Scott also says that the Xenomorphs were created by a creepy android and that the Space Jockeys were big blue people in suits so I can confirm that Ridley Scott is an idiot.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gorson posted:

No, but wouldn't you send a combat model to hunt other combat models? There's no valid reason to send anything less.

I can think of two offhand. First, replicants aren't permitted on Earth because a team of combat models rebelled. Setting a thief to catch a thief would get you into a world of questions if you were caught, as you can tell from Bryant telling Deckard to retire Roy's group before anyone knows they are there. Second, a combat model sent after Roy could conceivably have chosen to join up with him. Why not? The mission shows the replicant what will happen as soon as it goes off the reservation for any reason, no matter how minor. In fact it would be very easy to argue to the replicant that it will also be retired once the mission is complete; as Rachael says after killing Leon, she isn't in the business, she is the business.

The only way you could safely have a replicant hunting down Roy's group is if it doesn't know it's a replicant and nobody else can figure it out. If it's a combat model with above human capabilities then someone's going to work it out.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Jedit posted:

The only way you could safely have a replicant hunting down Roy's group is if it doesn't know it's a replicant and nobody else can figure it out. If it's a combat model with above human capabilities then someone's going to work it out.
Also the Nexus 6 is so advanced that Mercerists may not be willing or able to retire them.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Deckard could be a "detective" model, distinct from a combat model. A really good bladerunner could track down the replicant, maybe even give them the test and make it seem they pass, call in for backup, and then bam bam.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Thanks to our weird rear end rating system The Goonies and Poltergeist share a PG rating.

:911:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

TheKennedys posted:

yeah we banned it for the two younger kids outright (oldest is 19) a couple years ago after we realized how terrible the algorithm still was even with filters/YouTube Kids. and nothing of value was lost.

Like, I'm no prude or any type of helicopter parent but some of this poo poo was straight up dealing with a father not allowing his child in the house because "you were only hearing me raping your mother in there" after the kid's mother earlier told him to go upstairs, grab his dead dog from the bedroom and go bury him. The rape quote is direct and the whole video was designed to look like minecraft.

We're kind of derailing (and I started it) but a PYF thread about your favorite childhood traumatic cinema or pop culture experience seems like it might work. I have a few.

Some interesting discussion happening here for the last few pages I think.

Yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Speaking both of Ridley Scott and questionable parenting, I took my 9 year old daughter to opening night of Fury Road. I have no idea what I was expecting. Maybe some of the corniness of Thunderdome? A strong female lead?

I also let my 12 year old watch The Mist with me. I could have sworn the real ending was an alternate ending on a different version of the film. But no, it was the only ending. The most gut wrenching ending. Sorry kid.