Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Stjepan Sejic's got a Harley origins Black Label comic.
https://screenrant.com/harley-quinn-dc-comic-harleen-black-label/

Was the whole "slept her way to a medical degree" thing carried into New 52? I liked in Injustice where she called out Dr Fate for calling himself Doctor despite not being one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Skwirl posted:

Was the whole "slept her way to a medical degree" thing carried into New 52? I liked in Injustice where she called out Dr Fate for calling himself Doctor despite not being one.

i don't feel it did. Batman seemed to trust her abilities as a psychologist during the Poison Ivy arc.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

But the real question is will this follow black label tradition and show us Harley Quinn's dick?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

But the real question is will this follow black label tradition and show us Harley Quinn's dick?

it's Stjepan Sejic

of course you're gonna see Harley's dick

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ivy is definitely the top come on

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Keith Giffen and Jeff Lemire's Inferior 5 is also in September

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's the September solicits.
https://www.newsarama.com/45611-dc-comics-september-2019-solicitations.html

All the big stuff has come up but here's Naomi's debut outside of her miniseries in Action Comics.

edit: Also,

and a $5000 lifesized Harley Quinn statue.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 15, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teenage Fansub posted:

and a $5000 lifesized Harley Quinn statue.

It's $5,200 and also

quote:

• Ships in five crates.
• Assembly Required.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Having Naomi's toes visible is the suit is a strange choice

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Having Naomi's toes visible is the suit is a strange choice

DC Editorial is all foot fetishists now, no wonder Rob Liefeld couldn't get hired.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Skwirl posted:

DC Editorial is all foot fetishists now, no wonder Rob Liefeld couldn't get hired.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's one of those Harley statues at the DC offices.

edit: shazam

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 15, 2019

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

show me them hero feet

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
I quit reading DC once my favorite New52 titles ended several years ago, but I was curious about jumping back in because two of these newer titles looked interesting.

I’ve worked my way through this thread in the vain hope that I could understand what Rebirth continuity is, and I guess we’re all left waiting for that answer until the end of Doomsday Clock.

If I started the new Green Lantern and Doom Patrol books by Morrison and Way, can I expect that they’re running mostly independent of this ongoing, never-ending reboot?

I do not want to pay money for Hal Jordan space cop and have it turn into a Doomsday Clock or Heroes in Crisis tie-in.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You'll be fine with those two.
Rebirth is still in the New 52 universe, it just had some major status quo changes that came explained (Lois, Clark and their son being the post-Crisis versions ported over and eventually replacing/merged with the N52 folks) or not (Amanda Waller turning from skinny to classic)

edit: Morrison's Green Lantern might still be confusing because it's constantly making silver-age references.
Think about getting the other Young Animal titles as well since they eventually cross over with DP (and Steve Orlando's JLA, but you won't need to be familiar with that) in Milk Wars, and they're all pretty good.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 16, 2019

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You’ll be fine with just Doom Patrol. Milk Wars gives you a taste of all the Young Animal books, and you can decide after if you want to go back and read the other titles. You do, because they were all pretty good.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Teenage Fansub posted:

You'll be fine with those two.
Rebirth is still in the New 52 universe, it just had some major status quo changes that came explained (Lois, Clark and their son being the post-Crisis versions ported over and eventually replacing/merged with the N52 folks) or not (Amanda Waller turning from skinny to classic)

edit: Morrison's Green Lantern might still be confusing because it's constantly making silver-age references.
Think about getting the other Young Animal titles as well since they eventually cross over with DP (and Steve Orlando's JLA, but you won't need to be familiar with that) in Milk Wars, and they're all pretty good.

Thus far, The Green Lantern just feels like it's sticking to its own thing, being a neat canvas for Morrison to Morrison. I don't tend to read ahead in solicits so IDK if there's any planned crossovers or whatever in the future, though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://taskandpurpose.com/superman-navy-seal-comic

quote:

"[Frank Miller] brought in Clark going into the Navy, and I was able to run with that as Clark goes to the SEALs," Romita Jr. said in the interview. "Frank even contacted the SEALs to take a look at this and they gave us their approval, which was so great. And it all makes perfect sense for Clark. He's living in the Midwest, but he's from a planet that has oceans. So, at one point he thinks, 'I need to be near water!' So, joining the Navy is a very normal progression. He goes to his parents for advice, and then a short time later, he's joining the Navy."

This version of Clark Kent also has a vastly different personality. As Froeba writes for Military Times: "This Kent wants to kick rear end and take names. He is frustrated and wants others to acknowledge his superior abilities and strengths. He is also not above exposing his powers to win the favors of several love interests."

okay

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

All of this sounds horrible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

"I need to be near water!" - Superman

Sigh.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, I'm glad I had already decided not to buy Yet Another Superman Origin Story.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Who could have predicted that Frank Miller would produce a truly lovely take on Superman?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

Who could have predicted that Frank Miller would produce a truly lovely take on Superman?

I thought his version of Superman in the Dark Knight books was fine, like he was clearly in the wrong, but it fit the dystopia.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gonna be a nice cliffhanger in issue three where Clark, as part of Seal Team 6, has Bin Laden in his sights but struggles internally with whether to pull the trigger or not.

Ah who am I kidding this is from the author of Holy Terror, there won't be any internal struggle.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I thought his version of Superman in the Dark Knight books was fine, like he was clearly in the wrong, but it fit the dystopia.

Actually, is this in continuity with the Dark Knight books?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I’m pretty sure people from the Midwest join the Navy all the time without being born on other planets.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If this is pushing Morrison's Action Comics out of continuity I'll be very sad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

I don't think Miller's stuff is supposed to be in the main continuity.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. It's DKR world.

edit: I think? I remember that from somewhere, but a quick Google isn't helping.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 17, 2019

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Skwirl posted:

I don't think Miller's stuff is supposed to be in the main continuity.

Yeah Miller's book is Black Label. Morrison's run is safe.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Didn't Rebirth already do that?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Splint Chesthair posted:

I’m pretty sure people from the Midwest join the Navy all the time without being born on other planets.

Because they’re from a planet that has oceans, so it’s a very natural progression. :shrug:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Thranguy posted:

Didn't Rebirth already do that?

Post-Crisis Superman and N52 Superman (edit: or his soul or w/e) did a fusion dance to make who we have now, so he's vaguely lived Morrison's run.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 17, 2019

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Post-Crisis Superman and N52 Superman did a fusion dance to make who we have now, so he's vaguely lived Morrison's run.

I dread then inevitable origin miniseries this leads to.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

superman being a dumbass midwesterner is good actually

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
"Hey hon, how about a beach getaway this weekend? I just remembered I'm from a planet with oceans, and I'm so sick of joining the armed forces."

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

loving what? posted:

He's living in the Midwest, but he's from a planet that has oceans. So, at one point he thinks, 'I need to be near water!' So, joining the Navy is a very normal progression.

It makes total sense if you ignore the parts that don't make sense!

I genuinely have no idea what I expected from Frank Miller's Superman, but uh... boy did he exceed expectations, I guess.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Will Lex Luthor have a big rear end dragon tattooed on his back?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why can't he be like Chris Kyle, a man from Northern Texas, and be so stupid that he walked into a Navy recruiting office thinking it was the Army? Alternatively, wore out his VHS copy of Navy Seals as a child.

Does he knock out a crazy liberal professor after he denies the existence of God? In Superman's newest origin story, watch as a young Clark Kent fights for the American way and then fights for truth as he becomes a budding journalist set on taking down the conspiracy controlling the mainstream media. I can't imagine a character that adopts the persona of a weak nerd in late adolescence and has a creed against killing joined the Navy for the express purpose of becoming a Navy Seal, a professional killer. You could get away with him being a Seabee or some other non-combat oriented position but yikes. They know you have to sign up and try out for special forces, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
I mean, Superman wanting to enlist (and being thwarted by secret identify issues) goes back all the way to the roots, with 'why the heck wasn't Clark ever in the military' being a question that needed some kind of answer for decades.