Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lol some people over at THQ are rammstein fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rNYZYVR8P0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

CornHolio posted:

Speaking of this, what's everybody's take on Hanzel und Gretyl?

They were doing their thing when "edgy" humor was at its peak, and before the association with anime-nazis. They were never that funny, but some of their songs were kind of decent. I don't think you could that now... well, you could, but there's no way it could remain a joke.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/BoyHarsher/status/1138103834973298689

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Set phasers to scoff?

http://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/the-33-best-industrial-albums-of-all-time/?page=1

I was honestly surprised at some of the selections. I never for a minute expected to see Fook on this list. The unabashed fan boy in me would have preferred to see Too Dark Park higher, but it is what it is and I'm cool with what they pegged as Number One. Hint: It is neither a Nine Inch Nails NOR a Ministry LP.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

They put My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, KMFDM, and NIN's Pretty Hate Machine above Skinny Puppy's Too Dark Park.

gently caress Pitchfork. (That list is pretty good though, with a lot of obscure poo poo I've never heard of - both new and old - that I'll be checking out.)

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
20 Jazz Funk Greats is pretty good, but it's only getting that number one spot for being so influential.

Really happy to see Halber Mensch so high up there; Z.N.S is the song that embodies everything I think is good about Industrial.

Horse Rotorvator is not Industrial, gently caress off.

The Land of Rape and Honey gets a deserved high spot, as does Front by Front. Classics.

All the NIN stuff is overrated IMO.

Killing Joke deserves to be in the top 10. It's perhaps questionable whether it's industrial, but it has the spirit which Horse Rotorvator lacks.

Naïve is neither the first, nor the best KMFDM album. Bad pick. Should obviously have been Nihil, although a case could be made for WWIII as being relevant to the decline of Industrial.

That Total Age is right on.

Nail is a decent pick, but they could have gone with Hole, which came out the year before and is just as good, or Love, which came out 20 years later and is better than both.

Confessions of a Knife is the best Thrill Kill Kult album, but you only need the Kooler Than Jesus EP released the same year, and neither deserves to be this high up on the list.

Too Dark Park is a bad pick, it should be Rabies, no matter how you feel about Al Jourgensen. Too Dark Park is good album though, on par with Bites.

Pitchfork darlings Death Grips and Pharmakon are pretty good and all, but not Industrial.

Putting Revolting Cocks on there is kind of stupid. It's a joke band. There's so much good Industrial they could have put on the list instead. Where is Tactical Neural Implant? Or any Laibach at all?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm always happy to see Nitzer Ebb get credit

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I agree that most of that stuff is/was hella influential (though some is just typically Pitchfork or because they just watched the wax trax doc) but that doesn't mean it still stands up in some cases.

Pretty sure no one is going to come discover Lords of Acid or Thrill Kill Kult in 2019 and think "drat, this is awesome!"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bad list Clock DVA's Buried Dreams isn't #1. They should be ashamed.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

thotsky posted:

20 Jazz Funk Greats is pretty good, but it's only getting that number one spot for being so influential.

Really happy to see Halber Mensch so high up there; Z.N.S is the song that embodies everything I think is good about Industrial.

Horse Rotorvator is not Industrial, gently caress off.

The Land of Rape and Honey gets a deserved high spot, as does Front by Front. Classics.

All the NIN stuff is overrated IMO.

Killing Joke deserves to be in the top 10. It's perhaps questionable whether it's industrial, but it has the spirit which Horse Rotorvator lacks.

Naïve is neither the first, nor the best KMFDM album. Bad pick. Should obviously have been Nihil, although a case could be made for WWIII as being relevant to the decline of Industrial.

That Total Age is right on.

Nail is a decent pick, but they could have gone with Hole, which came out the year before and is just as good, or Love, which came out 20 years later and is better than both.

Confessions of a Knife is the best Thrill Kill Kult album, but you only need the Kooler Than Jesus EP released the same year, and neither deserves to be this high up on the list.

Too Dark Park is a bad pick, it should be Rabies, no matter how you feel about Al Jourgensen. Too Dark Park is good album though, on par with Bites.

Pitchfork darlings Death Grips and Pharmakon are pretty good and all, but not Industrial.

Putting Revolting Cocks on there is kind of stupid. It's a joke band. There's so much good Industrial they could have put on the list instead. Where is Tactical Neural Implant? Or any Laibach at all?
I don’t know what other genre would claim Coil so I don’t have a problem lumping it in with industrial. If Nurse With Wound is in there I don’t know why Coil wouldn’t count.

Nail is a better overall album than Hole, although Hole probably has stronger individual songs
Flow >>>>>>>>>> Love. I re-listened to all my Foetus albums recently and I think Love is easily the worst of ‘modern’ Foetus (arbitrarily chosen as Gash and newer). I had totally forgotten how rad Flow was.

I think I would pick The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste over Land of Rape and Honey. I read a review of Land that called it “a keyboard venting its frustrations at the world” which I can’t entirely dismiss.

VIVIsectVI would be my pick over Rabies, which outside of Worlock is primarily notable for holding the band together for a few more albums. It’s not very representative of their sound either.

The lack of any FLA makes me sad too

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I agree that most of that stuff is/was hella influential (though some is just typically Pitchfork or because they just watched the wax trax doc) but that doesn't mean it still stands up in some cases.

Pretty sure no one is going to come discover Lords of Acid or Thrill Kill Kult in 2019 and think "drat, this is awesome!"

A Daisy Chain 4 Satan still slays tho

Also yeah vivisectvi is my favorite SP record and def the most "industrial". TDP was basically a goth album. Not in a bad way

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Kind of a weird list with some adjacent records that I wouldn't quite count (We all love Killing Joke but I always just regarded them as a Rock band so huh). And as one of those lames who never abandoned NIN even as I discovered other things listing PHM higher than TDS is loving weird.

Molestationary Store fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 17, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah killing joke always claimed to just be a rock band. Goth music tried to claim them too.

Front By Front is honestly almost my least favorite of theirs

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

david_a posted:

I don’t know what other genre would claim Coil so I don’t have a problem lumping it in with industrial. If Nurse With Wound is in there I don’t know why Coil wouldn’t count.

Nail is a better overall album than Hole, although Hole probably has stronger individual songs
Flow >>>>>>>>>> Love. I re-listened to all my Foetus albums recently and I think Love is easily the worst of ‘modern’ Foetus (arbitrarily chosen as Gash and newer). I had totally forgotten how rad Flow was.

I think I would pick The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste over Land of Rape and Honey. I read a review of Land that called it “a keyboard venting its frustrations at the world” which I can’t entirely dismiss.

VIVIsectVI would be my pick over Rabies, which outside of Worlock is primarily notable for holding the band together for a few more albums. It’s not very representative of their sound either.

The lack of any FLA makes me sad too

I'd call it experimental, maybe even indie, psychedelic or avant-garde. Same goes for Nurse With Wound, which don't deserve two spots in the list, never mind one.

I don't like a single song on Flow, except maybe ironically Mandelay because of Venture Bros. Love has Aladdin Reverse, which is probably the best track Thirlwell has done, and also (Not Adam), Miracle, Time Marches On, and How to Vibrate; all great tunes.

Mind is a close second for me; I just slightly prefer the EBM-ish sound on Land.

I feel like even if Rabies does have a few tracks that sound more Ministry than Skinny Puppy, it's still the album with the most hits. Also, Worlock is their seminal work; it cannot really be ignored. VIVIsectVI is a very consistent album, but it's bordering on Dark Ambient. It might very well be reprentative of their sound, but it's not something I play very often. Maybe I'll come back to it once that sound has aged a bit more; most of my enjoyment of Industrial seems to come from nostalgia these days.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Molestationary Store posted:

Kind of a weird list with some adjacent records that I wouldn't quite count (We all love Killing Joke but I always just regarded them as a Rock band so huh). And as one of those lames who never abandoned NIN even as I discovered other things listing PHM higher than TDS is loving weird.

PHM has a quirkier and sparser sound, where as TDS sounds overproduced for an Industrial album to this day. TDS does have more good songs, and is clearly better made, but I can see someone ranking the first one higher if they're primarily ranking based on nostalgia, or if they simply prefer the more grounded and... precocious teen spirit of the first album.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I know a lot of people, myself included, who would rate PHM far above TDS

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Pretty sure no one is going to come discover ... Thrill Kill Kult in 2019 and think "drat, this is awesome!"

2018, but hi. Managed to skip over them in my industrial journey, but Spotify recommended them to me on a whim, and drat, it is awesome!

Coil is some of the purest industrial electronic music out there, both the sun music and the moon music, so to think they don't belong is a bit weird.

Seeing Einsterzende Neubauten being so high and being listed multiple times is great though, as they are most definitely the epitome of capital-I Industrial.

I kind of wish FLA got some love, being a homer and a fan of electro-industrial in general, but I fully understand why they would not include them.

PHM is overrated synthwave that made TR make Broken as a relation to its reception. It doesn't fit on the list, let alone so high. I get it, being a breakthrough album in inspiration and all that, but even the creator was mad that it wasn't industrial enough, so. :colbert:

Also great to see some industrial hip hop get recognized with Death Grips and Clipping.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 18, 2019

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

hatelull posted:

Set phasers to scoff?

http://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/the-33-best-industrial-albums-of-all-time/?page=1

I was honestly surprised at some of the selections. I never for a minute expected to see Fook on this list. The unabashed fan boy in me would have preferred to see Too Dark Park higher, but it is what it is and I'm cool with what they pegged as Number One. Hint: It is neither a Nine Inch Nails NOR a Ministry LP.

This list sees to have been compiled by someone who really wants you to be impressed by how much they know about the history of industrial/influential roots.

This. It reads like someone making a best of rock list 90% comprised by digging up all the old albums of black artists white 70s rockers ripped off like, "what, you didn't know that song came from Big Joe Turner? :smug: " Sure, some of it is top tier but mostly you're just trying to brag, and just because it deserves to be recognized as first, influential, and likely underrated doesn't mean it's best.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

thotsky posted:

I'd call it experimental, maybe even indie, psychedelic or avant-garde. Same goes for Nurse With Wound, which don't deserve two spots in the list, never mind one.

I don't like a single song on Flow, except maybe ironically Mandelay because of Venture Bros. Love has Aladdin Reverse, which is probably the best track Thirlwell has done, and also (Not Adam), Miracle, Time Marches On, and How to Vibrate; all great tunes.

Mind is a close second for me; I just slightly prefer the EBM-ish sound on Land.

I feel like even if Rabies does have a few tracks that sound more Ministry than Skinny Puppy, it's still the album with the most hits. Also, Worlock is their seminal work; it cannot really be ignored. VIVIsectVI is a very consistent album, but it's bordering on Dark Ambient. It might very well be reprentative of their sound, but it's not something I play very often. Maybe I'll come back to it once that sound has aged a bit more; most of my enjoyment of Industrial seems to come from nostalgia these days.
I don’t think “experimental” should count as a genre which is why I discount calling Coil that

Well, uh, your opinion of Flow vs Love is fascinatingly polar opposite to mine. I think Love is where his singing voice started getting a lot weaker which paradoxically coincided with him making it more prominent in the mixes.

Not sure that VIVIsectVI really counts as dark ambient... Maybe the second half of the CD version due to all the bonus tracks they threw on, but I assume the end of the vinyl version was supposed to be the ‘canonical’ end to the album. I guess in the early days of CDs they really loved to pad the runtime? Mind getting those “bonus” tracks from Cleanse really threw me for a loop too since I bought them out of order.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

13Pandora13 posted:

This list sees to have been compiled by someone who really wants you to be impressed by how much they know about the history of industrial/influential roots.

I mean, it is pitchfork. I'm honestly shocked that they put Nitzer Ebb on there at all.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I’m not reading the list but someone tell me if Laibach is on there at least twice

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Not even once.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

mennoknight posted:

I’m not reading the list but someone tell me if Laibach is on there at least twice
Good news, they got ranked in the same ballpark as Front Line Assembly, Pig, Numb, Chemlab, Snog, and Mentallo & The Fixer! None of them could quite reach the lofty heights of noted industrial landmark Under the Skin OST however, I mean that one was a game changer so what you gonna do

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Chem Lab and Snog are definitely better than Lords of Acid, especially Voodoo You which I don't recall any rivetheads being excited about

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Jehde posted:

PHM is overrated synthwave

Not a nin fan but imagine an old person making an exasperated face at that sequence of words.

Having TG as number one feels like the author read a wiki article on industrial and later impressed their buddies with ”did you know tg invented the phrase industrial music?”.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Leichenschrei is a better album than virtually anything on that list, TDP should be higher, and yeah, it's nice to see that they both out That Total Age in there and acknowledged that Nitzer went downhill after.

(Also how the gently caress you pick Naive when XTORT is right there come the gently caress on)

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Sorry, but I unapologetically loved Voodoo-U back in the day, so I say it belongs. :colbert:

I prefer Big Sexy Land if you're going to do Revolting Cocks.

I know I'm in the minority by pegging EVIL Off as my favorite Front 242 album.

Cabaret Voltaire's best for me is Arm of the Lord.

For missing bands, besides the ones mentioned by other posters, I'd add Severed Heads.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Evil Off is technically my favorite 242 album, but I think it barely counts as one, if that makes sense.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

precision posted:

Evil Off is technically my favorite 242 album, but I think it barely counts as one, if that makes sense.

It absolutely makes sense.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jehde posted:

2018, but hi. Managed to skip over them in my industrial journey, but Spotify recommended them to me on a whim, and drat, it is awesome!

I stand corrected!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It would have been funny if they'd put Independent Worm Saloon on there just to gently caress with Al Jourgenson.

Though, being honest, early Butthole Surfers was arguably the closest the 80s came to a true Throbbing Gristle successor

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
well I gave in and read the list and guess what it sucks dick

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

mennoknight posted:

well I gave in and read the list and guess what it sucks dick

I read the whole list and my dick went unsucked. :eng99: :sad:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Daniel Myer's back on his Liebknecht: https://www.beatport.com/release/produkt/2633547

It's real good, friends.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like rammstein won't be coming to the U.S. next year either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GdrAlhE_ts

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

boo_radley posted:

Daniel Myer's back on his Liebknecht: https://www.beatport.com/release/produkt/2633547

It's real good, friends.

I really liked the Koln single and his set opening for Nitzer Ebb. Really infectious stuff.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Volkerball posted:

Looks like rammstein won't be coming to the U.S. next year either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GdrAlhE_ts

gently caress, I'll be in götenborg August 18. I live in Colorado, it would have been awesome to see..

edit:I'm an idiot, that's the 2020 lineup...

deong fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 27, 2019

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Boy Harsher: Careful Remixes, Etc - specifically, too many versions of "Come Closer", a few versions of "Tears" and not enough versions of "L.A." Though I dug "Come Closer (Marcel Dettmann Remix)". You know you'll give this whole thing at least one play through. Coulda done with someone trying "Lost", which has been on my daily play list for a few weeks now.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
Oh look KMFDM will release another run of the mill forgettable album. I'm sure th-

quote:

But if that weren’t enough, fans will undoubtedly be overjoyed as “Binge Boil & Blow” finds the Lord of Lard himself, Raymond “PIG” Watts returning to the KMFDM fold for the first time in 16 years!

Okay, I'm interested. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Future Days posted:

Oh look KMFDM will release another run of the mill forgettable album. I'm sure th-

Okay, I'm interested. :allears:

Don't forget also Cheryl Wilson (XTORT) is also on here too.

So we will get 2 decent tracks at least and the rest will be Lucia filler.