Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

chernobyl kinsman posted:

you've been assured incorrectly. you can absolutely skip the johnny truant bits, and you will enjoy the book much more if you do

also, steven hall's raw shark texts

I actually liked the Johnny Truant part, and I thought the horror in The Navidson Record was underwhelming, despite being a really good concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

One of my students lent me his copy and is super keen for me to start it and I'm kinda middling about it given the mixed reviews here.

But he was totally correct about Roadside Picnic so perhaps I should give him the benefit of the doubt

I just finished--and loved--Roadside Picnic. Having read all of House of Leaves, the main house mystery is the only part that was memorable and worthwhile. The rest was just wankery.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Robot Wendigo posted:

I just finished--and loved--Roadside Picnic. Having read all of House of Leaves, the main house mystery is the only part that was memorable and worthwhile. The rest was just wankery.

I hope you read the version with the zombies because that was both wtf and lmao at the same time. Really good, and as you said in your review could have been written today.

I just picked up Lincoln in the Bardo at a small indy bookstore today and while chatting evangelized the clerk on Lake Monsters. Hope he takes me up on it, since we bonded over Blood Meridian.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

This Humble Bundle (which has about 14 days left as of June 5) has a lot of horror stuff in it:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/science-fiction-start-books

Anyone know if these books are worthwhile?

EDIT: I bought it, so I guess we'll see.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 5, 2019

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

a foolish pianist posted:

This Humble Bundle (which has about 14 days left as of June 5) has a lot of horror stuff in it:

I can tell you that No Return is godawful, if that's of any help. The blurbs that compare it to Wolfe and Miéville are a better work of fiction than the book. Oh, and Martha Wells is pretty well-regarded in the SF thread but that's for her science fiction series, no idea about the earlier work.

Anyway, I just finished Kwaidan and I found out about it in this thread - are there any more books in this vein (not necessarily Japanese, it could be from anywhere; just folk horror stories) anyone could recommend?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

a foolish pianist posted:

EDIT: I bought it, so I guess we'll see.

The only ones I can vouch for are Best of the Best Horror, which in general are pretty good collections, and Book of Cthulhu II.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

anilEhilated posted:

Anyway, I just finished Kwaidan and I found out about it in this thread - are there any more books in this vein (not necessarily Japanese, it could be from anywhere; just folk horror stories) anyone could recommend?

the title has been variously translated so i will link the wikipedia page about it, but you may enjoy this (though it is a bit light on the horror elements, really)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_Stories_from_a_Chinese_Studio

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

MockingQuantum posted:

The only ones I can vouch for are Best of the Best Horror, which in general are pretty good collections, and Book of Cthulhu II.

I haven't read either, but I've seen horror writers say that they think Ellen Datlow is good at short story collections, and they like her work.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bonaventure posted:

the title has been variously translated so i will link the wikipedia page about it, but you may enjoy this (though it is a bit light on the horror elements, really)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_Stories_from_a_Chinese_Studio
This looks great, thanks!

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

anilEhilated posted:

This looks great, thanks!

i also just remembered this book, Terrifying Tales: Stories of the Occult from Around the World, edited by Terri Hardin: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/terrifying-tales-terri-hardin/1119275200 which i found at Barnes and Noble 10 years ago, and which surprised me.

The title is misleading: there's nothing in here about Occultism, and it really has the feel of "what's some public domain or cheaply licensed poo poo we can stuff in a book and shove it out for Halloween" about it as opposed to being an intentional work like Kwaidan or Strange Tales from [Whatever] Studio, but the actual content of the book really surprised me: it's almost exclusively articles from early folklore and anthropology journals relating stories told from around the world, selected by the editor to be ones with horrific and supernatural elements to them. So as far as looking for 'folk horror stories,' it sounds to me like it's very much what you're looking for.

It's out of stock on Barnes and Noble but you can probably get a used copy on Amazon or something.

A caveat: these articles are all from the early 20th century or even late 19th century if memory serves, so you may see the word 'Mohammedan,' or even 'Mahometan' now and then

Bonaventure fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 7, 2019

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Started the new John Langan collection, Sefira and Other Betrayals. The titular story (which is a decent novella length) was otherwise enjoyable, but in parts he was doing the same thing that annoyed me about The Fisherman, namely trying to pass narration off as a character monologue. It simply doesn't sound like anything a human being would say. Langan can do decent dialogue as well, which just makes it more grating.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

also, steven hall's raw shark texts

just sat down and read this in one day which i don't think has happened since i read the twits when i was 12. it's pretty good. lmao that he writes for the battlefield games now

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

i don't think uncooked sharks are very scary. seems like a big time fail for a horror book in this reader's opinion.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Spoken like someone who's never had hákarl.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

CestMoi posted:

just sat down and read this in one day which i don't think has happened since i read the twits when i was 12. it's pretty good. lmao that he writes for the battlefield games now

hall hid a bunch of secret chapters in like foreign language editions and under park benches irl. i haven't read them yet, and i'm pretty sure most of them haven't been found

HouseOfLeaves99
Mar 20, 2009
I think the biggest part I hate about horror writers is how often some just disappear.

Even though my tastes have changed somewhat, I remember checking weekly to see what was going on with the new Will Christopher Baer and Craig Clevenger books.

What happened to them? Godspeed had a release date then there were rumors it was going to be hundreds of pages long.

Then eventually...nothing.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
it's important to remember that a lot of horror writers are deeply unstable weirdos. t.e.d. klein and ligotti both dropped off the face of the earth because they had existential nervous breakdowns followed by crippling writer's block, for example

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

it's important to remember that a lot of horror writers are deeply unstable weirdos.

:same:

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
ligotti is strangely adorable

i hope it doesn't eventually turn out he accidentally killed a bunch of children trying to turn them into dolls or anything like that

nankeen fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jun 16, 2019

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
my ballingrud update is that wounds is still very good and has a few great hard-hitting moments. the stories just aren't as sharp or as raw as lake monsters but it's worth reading for the atmospheric prose alone

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
lake monsters would be hard to follow up and you can pretty much smell the publisher harassment all over wounds, ballingrud's third book will probably take fifteen years to arrive but it'll be fantastic when it gets here

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
one thing i appreciate about ligotti, especially given his influences, is that he genuinely does not seem to be a racist individual

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
When you think the entirety of humanity is a mistake, all forms of discrimination lose their appeal.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've never read any Ligotti. Is the combined edition with Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe a good place to start?

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Lester Shy posted:

I've never read any Ligotti. Is the combined edition with Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe a good place to start?

I always recommend Teatro Grottesco as the best place to start with Ligotti. It contains a lot of his best work imo and its maybe a bit more "accessible" than Songs/Grimscribe.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lester Shy posted:

It's fine, but if you can get your hands on older editions of either of those, go with that; Ligotti revised some of the stories for the new edition, and the changes weren't always for the better.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Vastarien posted:

I always recommend Teatro Grottesco as the best place to start with Ligotti. It contains a lot of his best work imo and its maybe a bit more "accessible" than Songs/Grimscribe.

Teatro Grottesco is where I started and what I would recommend also. "The Town Manager" is still my favorite Ligotti story.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
yeah start with teattro. dreamer/grimscribe is borderline outsider art, but the stories in teattro are all much more focused and less repetitive so, as mentioned above, accessible. by borderline outsider art i mean you can tell when ligotti's jerking off and he is a psychosexual labyrinth of a man

nankeen fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 18, 2019

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
incidentally all my italian friends have clown phobias except one who has a clown fetish. i asked

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
So if I don't like Teattro is it fair to assume Ligotti isn't for me?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

bloom posted:

So if I don't like Teattro is it fair to assume Ligotti isn't for me?

Probably, unless what you disliked was the fact that it was short stories specifically. Any particular reason why you didn't like it?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I just didn't find it scary or weird enough to be interesting. The Town Manager was kinda neat, but when the high point of a collection is "kinda neat" that's not really enough.

On a more positive note, I picked up the audiobook version of Wounds and listening to The Visible Filth while trying to fall asleep proved to be a terrible idea. Fortunately I didn't have an early morning the next day.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Wounds was loving great, and "The Atlas of Hell" ruuuuuled. If you liked North American Lake Monsters then definitely check it out.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

I finished North American Lake Monsters and I can see why people like it but every time I pick up a horror book expecting something spooky I keep getting something else entirely. I just keep having bad luck and go in with the wrong expectations.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

plz dont pull out posted:

I finished North American Lake Monsters and I can see why people like it but every time I pick up a horror book expecting something spooky I keep getting something else entirely. I just keep having bad luck and go in with the wrong expectations.

If you want to be straight-up spooked, I just finished The Hunger by Alma Katsu, a supernaturally-tinged retelling of the Donner Party story, and it checked that box for me. My first book by the author and I was impressed. I started it a while ago, then the device I was reading it on broke, and I’m kicking myself for not finishing it sooner. Good, menacingly creepy read. I grew up close to Donner Pass so it had the bonus of being a creepy book that reminds me of my childhood, which makes a creepy book even creepier.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Buddy of mine (the one who lent me Lake Monsters) is currently finding this one super creepy: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show...wNwuf206o24ODv8

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll give these a look. Despite being disappointed a lot (I posted back in the fall after reading three books for October that were all pretty unsatisfying) I still really wanna find a good spooky book.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Evenson is more like Lake Monsters than like a traditional spooky book. He's fantastic with short stories, but don't expect there to be your usual ghosts - he's a lot more Aickman than Stephen King.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna' try Wounds next & I'll probably like it.

But goddamn am I ready for the next great horror novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Elvis
Jul 1, 2007

I read Wounds first and loved everything about it. Now I’m worried that I’ll be disappointed by Lake Monsters.