Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Have you worn one to class yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I wonder how much money this dude has made off of a single gag.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

sivad posted:

Have you worn one to class yet?
Yup.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

And. Did Danaher see it?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

The gyms where you have to shake everyone's hand at the beginning is weird. I don't like it.

edit: Can someone recommend some good fight shorts? I can't find any in medium...

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

spb posted:

The gyms where you have to shake everyone's hand at the beginning is weird. I don't like it.

Yeah I hate when I have to shake hands with guys before I spend the next hour hugging them in my pyjamas.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

butros posted:

Yeah I hate when I have to shake hands with guys before I spend the next hour hugging them in my pyjamas.

And choking them out

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Wait you guys dont open mouth kiss

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I obviously slap bump before every roll but shaking everyones hand is excessive to me, a cold hearted Northeast guy

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

spb posted:

I obviously slap bump before every roll but shaking everyones hand is excessive to me, a cold hearted Northeast guy

I too, hate touching other people. I bought a gi with extra long sleeves so I never make hand to hand contact with my partners.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

spb posted:

edit: Can someone recommend some good fight shorts? I can't find any in medium...

what about shaking hands afterwards

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

leftist heap posted:

what about shaking hands afterwards

that's fine since it's more organized, at least at the gyms i've been to. The shaking hands at the beginning is annoying because you're running around the room trying to shake everyone's hand.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Wait you guys dont open mouth kiss

It's in the handbook. :colbert:

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spb posted:

that's fine since it's more organized, at least at the gyms i've been to. The shaking hands at the beginning is annoying because you're running around the room trying to shake everyone's hand.

My understanding is that if you were to go down to Brazil and not do this in a gym you haven't been to before, it's considered extremely rude.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Count Roland posted:

And. Did Danaher see it?
Hells yes.

Also we're switching things up for the morning gi class (non-John class) for which I assist, and we're going to be getting rid of exercises like jogging around the room and switching to entirely functional drills/movements for warm up.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

Also we're switching things up for the morning gi class (non-John class) for which I assist, and we're going to be getting rid of exercises like jogging around the room and switching to entirely functional drills/movements for warm up.

This is extremely my poo poo. I can do bullshit cardio on my own time.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

switching to entirely functional drills/movements for warm up.

We do this as well.

What are some of the functional movements you have your guys do out of curiosity?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
gym i started going to recently does NO warmup which I find wild

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

leftist heap posted:

Also, extremely my poo poo. More time for instruction and drilling. I'll warm up on my own time.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

JaySB posted:

Also, extremely my poo poo. More time for instruction and drilling. I'll warm up on my own time.

me too aka not at all bitch eheheh ill strethc when im dead

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

leftist heap posted:

In John's class we do no warm up since that's your own responsibility. But for the morning gi class taught by Mike and assisted by me we do warm ups but we're going to make sure it all makes sense.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

We do this as well.

What are some of the functional movements you have your guys do out of curiosity?
We haven't set the new warm up yet, but for example I replaced a second set of push ups with sprawls (technical sprawling not what a lot of school call a sprawl) and have also introduced sit outs to the class.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 19, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Yuns posted:

In John's class we do no warm up since that's your own responsibility. But for the morning gi class taught by Mike and assisted by me we do warm ups but we're going to make sure it all makes sense.
We haven't set the new warm up yet, but for example I replaced a second set of push ups with sprawls (technical sprawling not what a lot of school call a sprawl) and have also introduced sit outs to the class.

Hey Yuns, if this is private info I totally get that, but sometimes I mention this thread to my coach and if I reference "a black belt under Danaher in NYC" her eye brow goes up a little and she asks me your name. So far I just say I don't know you personally and she trusts me not to listen to internet nonsense, but if your name wasn't a secret I think she'd be interested to know who is occasionally giving me advice.

Also, got my second stripe tonight, four days before the tournament. I was sure she was going to wait, but ok, feels good

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey Yuns, if this is private info I totally get that, but sometimes I mention this thread to my coach and if I reference "a black belt under Danaher in NYC" her eye brow goes up a little and she asks me your name. So far I just say I don't know you personally and she trusts me not to listen to internet nonsense, but if your name wasn't a secret I think she'd be interested to know who is occasionally giving me advice.

Also, got my second stripe tonight, four days before the tournament. I was sure she was going to wait, but ok, feels good
I'll pm you. I don't want my real name on a publicly visible forum but am willing to share it privately.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Sensei asked me to demo some techniques today for the second time ever. Feels awesome.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

I would enjoy your class. I already do sprawls (although that is not part of the official warmup but sometimes I can get the other guys to do it with me). The sit outs are something I have struggled with and I wish it was part of our warmups.

edit: one of the best warmups I find is the hip flexor stretch. I find as I get older this has really been beneficial to me.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 19, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
We got a brand new dude who is huge and built like a gorilla and has no grappling experience and its own because now I have someone roughly my size but less skilled than I am so I can an at least have a marginal measurement of my progress in a vacuum

I've also been trying to teach myself to worry about individual rolls less and just constantly put myself in weak positions so that maybe in like 10 years I will be good from there

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Yuns posted:

In John's class we do no warm up since that's your own responsibility.

That's how I feel.

Particularly when an instructor turns it into a 20 minute calisthenics session.

Like, if people want to be in better shape, great. But I'm paying to do BJJ.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
The worst is our coach starts talking to someone in the middle of warmups and forgets to have us change what we're doing so we just get stuck doing karaokes for like 3 minutes straight until people just look at each other shake our heads and start jogging again. That's probably why most of the higher belts show up late and skip warmups.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Jerome Louis posted:

The worst is our coach starts talking to someone in the middle of warmups and forgets to have us change what we're doing so we just get stuck doing karaokes for like 3 minutes straight until people just look at each other shake our heads and start jogging again. That's probably why most of the higher belts show up late and skip warmups.

Say hi next time we’re in class together

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

One of our brown belts has been doing really interesting warmups recently with partners. Stuff like fireman's carrying people as you jog laps, and flipping people over from in open guard up to standing by grabbing the pants. Also dragging people around the mats by sleeve grips of different types and my personal favorite drill where you omoplata your partner and then they roll out of it and then you follow them in a roll to end up back where you started then repeat back and forth across the mats.

It's a lot more fun than the normal jogging in circles warmups we usually do, but he only typically makes it to class on Saturday and I can't make it to every Saturday class.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

butros posted:

Say hi next time we’re in class together

Gonna have to start asking about stairs when shaking hands.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
I totally missed a great opportunity for the darce this morning.

I'm a lanky 6'2" 165 lb and I'm trying to focus on an open guard with good retention so I've been doing ye olde butt scoot while trying out one of Danaher's knee escapes (great results).

I got to this point where we're both on our knees and I blanked on ideas besides pulling the guy into guard. I feel like emphasizing neck/head control would've gotten me that gable grip or a 100% -> truck transition. I guess I should just drill wrestler mode with the butting heads, ties, and whatnot.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

L0cke17 posted:

One of our brown belts has been doing really interesting warmups recently with partners. Stuff like fireman's carrying people as you jog laps, and flipping people over from in open guard up to standing by grabbing the pants. Also dragging people around the mats by sleeve grips of different types and my personal favorite drill where you omoplata your partner and then they roll out of it and then you follow them in a roll to end up back where you started then repeat back and forth across the mats.

It's a lot more fun than the normal jogging in circles warmups we usually do, but he only typically makes it to class on Saturday and I can't make it to every Saturday class.

That's some Judo poo poo

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Ok guys looking for another recommendation: lasso guard instructionals. I’ve learned a couple setups and sweeps and it seems hilariously fun.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

L0cke17 posted:

I'm a fan of calisthenics warmups, but this stuff is especially good. If you're warming up anyway, you might as well do so by using your body in ways that will help in the sport.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
For a month since my competition injury my elbow seemed to be healing well, but I reaggravated it in a bad way in a t-kimura transition last week and it's been a real drag. Had it xrayed this week and confirmed it's just a nasty sprain as expected. I got a PT prescription I'll probably try, but really it seems like there's not a whole lot to do about it besides avoiding kimura grip type pressure on that arm. I'll be back in class for drilling soon, which is fine for a little while, but I feel the usefulness of drilling without rolling becomes limited pretty quickly because without rolling I don't really integrate new techniques and they just kind of ineffectually pile up. 

Any tips for rolling with a hosed elbow? I've been wearing a compression sleeve which helps a tiny bit, but really it's more to signal the injury to partners. Could try reinforcing it with tape or something? Generally I prefer not bugging rolling partners about injuries and just making it my responsibility to keep myself safe, so I'm not very consistent about communicating that I'm hurt before the roll. I also tend to be fairly bold about rolling with whoever even if they're way bigger or more advanced with little or no intro. So those are things I should get better with.

Overall as a grappler I've been fortunate with injuries, and still maintain a lifetime record of never breaking a bone or needing a stitch, no surgery. I think I'm realizing the downside is my "training while hurt" skillset is underdeveloped for my level.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

did my first no-gi last night and jesus christ that poo poo hurts

Like, I never appreciated how much padding the gi gives you for when they jab their pointy parts into your soft parts

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Decades posted:

How to roll with an injured elbow?
You can try tucking the hand of your injured arm in your belt, to prevent you from using it and your opponents from attacking it. Makes for difficult rolls but who's keeping score? Plus you'll develop other methods of control in the meantime.

Also drilling without sparring isn't so bad, some jiu jitsu is better than no jiu jitsu.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

ihop posted:

You can try tucking the hand of your injured arm in your belt

Picturing how this would look no gi like Al Bundy style or something and I think folks would get the wrong idea

But yeah, keeping that arm tucked closely to my side is a good idea, and I'm always trying to mind my lanky rear end elbows and get kimura'd less anyway, so insofar as I could manage it would be a good habit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Just pull a Jacare and tuck that arm in