Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
He must have Nadal's doctor prescribing joint therapies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i don't know enough about boxing to know if this is cool, and if so, how cool it indeed is

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1141060716176130048

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Aye Doc posted:

i don't know enough about boxing to know if this is cool, and if so, how cool it indeed is

It’s a title unification fight between two top 5 welterweights. Spence is arguably the best fighter in the division (it’s either him or Terence Crawford), but Porter is no slouch at all.

It’s a big fight that all boxing fans should try to catch live.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Cigar Aficionado posted:

It’s a title unification fight between two top 5 welterweights. Spence is arguably the best fighter in the division (it’s either him or Terence Crawford), but Porter is no slouch at all.

It’s a big fight that all boxing fans should try to catch live.

I'm mainly annoyed that it ended up in ppv when it was originally going to be on linear network FOX

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

It's a good fight. I'm also disappointed it's going to PPV but I may change my mind closer to fight night. Porter's an action fighter that always shows up game, and he's good enough to where he can upset the apple cart. Either way it should be an entertaining fight and a tough test for Spence, there have definitely been worse PPV cards made.

Really I wouldn't mind this one being on PPV as much if Wilder-Ortiz wasn't also a PPV.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

no way this is a PPV fight, that sucks

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

no way this is a PPV fight, that sucks

For all of the poo poo people give Days Inn and ESPN+ both services total out to 300 a year paying month to month. So far PBC has planned 6 Pay Per views (Pac/Broner, Pac/Thurman, Spence/Garcia, Spence/Porter, Garcia/Garcia, Wilder/Ortiz 2). That's over $400 for 6 fights all of which are broadcast main events during HBO's prime years

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 19, 2019

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

For all of the poo poo people give Days Inn and ESPN+ both services total out to 300 a year paying month to month. So far PBC has planned 6 Pay Per views (Pac/Broner, Pac/Thurman, Spence/Garcia, Spence/Porter, Garcia/Garcia, Wilder/Ortiz 2). That's over $400 for 6 fights all of which are broadcast main events during HBO's prime years

And if you did the annual plans, you’d be paying $150 for DAZN and ESPN+

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Boxing on tonight on FOX. Rigondeaux just trading in the pocket with Julio Ceja.

EDIT: I guess it worked, bad stoppage though. If he keeps fighting like this it probably means Rigo is washed

https://twitter.com/Hock1717/status/1142960651565969408

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 24, 2019

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Rigo was amazing but he looked washed here. He's also probably 40, which is incredibly ancient for the lighter weights. The top fighters at 122; Daniel Roman, Rey Vargas, and Emanuel Navarrete, are all in their 20s and quite good. He probably loses to all of them at this point.

Shame his career never really got to where it should.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Oh dang, Usyk named mandatory challenger for the winner of joshua v ruiz 2. That sounds interesting.

Garlic Wraith
Dec 10, 2015

Dracula's nemesis

Stangg posted:

Oh dang, Usyk named mandatory challenger for the winner of joshua v ruiz 2. That sounds interesting.

From what I read, Usyk is the mandatory challenger for the WBO title.

It will be interesting. Must be bad news for Ruiz because I don't see him beating Usyk.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
If Ruiz wins then I could see the various sanctioning bodies calling their different mandatories to spread out the belts again. If Joshua wins I think the hope is they would move straight to the winner of Wilder-Fury 2 and let them all unify that way before breaking them up.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Jermell Charlo drops Jorge Cota

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Didn't look like he was up from that first knock down, ref should have stopped it. That second one was just unnecessary.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Was Cota already completely gassed at that point in the fight? He looked so slow in answering before the first knockdown.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

are you alright? can you continue?

yeah i'd like a mojito

FINISH HIM

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Since it varies from referee to referee, fight to fight here are (as far I can tell) the most recent guidelines from the Association of Boxing Commissions for what a referee should do after there is a legal knockdown in a boxing match

https://www.abcboxing.com/ABC_REFEREE_GUIDELINES.pdf

Association of Boxing Comissions posted:

KNOCKDOWN MECHANICS

1. Command “Down!”
2. Motion the scoring boxer to the furthest neutral corner.
3. Pick up the count from the Timekeeper/Knockdown Judge.
-Position yourself so that you can focus on the downed boxer, the other boxer, and the
Timekeeper/Knockdown Judge.
4. Count aloud and succinctly while gesticulating with your hands the numbers of the count.
-While counting, concentrate on the downed boxer and look for signs of weakness such as position
of the eyes, glassy stare, dilation of pupils, lack of steady equilibrium, bad cuts or bleeding, etc.
- Do not over concentrate on the scoring boxer in the neutral corner unless he or she exits the corner
and forces you to stop the count.
-Use both hands when counting six through ten.
-Position your hands in line with the boxer’s eyes. Do not fan, wave, etc. your hands.
-Do not demonstrate excessive emotion. In other words, do not over dramatize the knockdown.
5. At the count of eight or nine, ask the downed boxer if he or she can continue and have him take one
step towards you.
-Don’t be so close to the boxer. Be at about one arm’s length from him. Don’t touch the boxer.
- Render your critical decision.
- If he or she can continue, wipe their gloves.
-Wipe the gloves AFTER the boxer takes a step towards you, not before.
6. Have boxing resume immediately.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Garlic Wraith posted:

From what I read, Usyk is the mandatory challenger for the WBO title.

Lol, Whyte gets hosed over by his second sanctioning body. He's the #1 ranked contender for both the WBC and WBO and somehow not the mandatory for either of them (I assume he'll eventually be named WBC mandatory officially but still goddamn).

Whyte is fighting real guys too. He could easily lose before he finally gets a shot for a title, which I assume will be sometime in the back half of 2020. His next opponent, Oscar Rivas, is an undefeated legitimately top 10-12~ guy with good power and a fairly extensive amateur career behind him. If Whyte beats Rivas, he might end up fighting someone like Adam Kownacki or Kubrat Pulev next, who are no sure things either.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1143986170411438081?s=19

If you told me in 2013 that one day we could get Canelo-Kovalev....

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah really, are their weights that close?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The plan has always been for Alvarez to be a generational fighter, which will involve crossing some weight classes

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
They are technically 2 weight classes apart but Canelo is a "world titleist" at 168 and one of the top pound for pound fighters in the sport while Kovalev was stopped in 2 of his last 3 (significant) fights..

Edit: so sue me for forgetting about Vyechealav Shabransky and Noel Mikealkin

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 27, 2019

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah really, are their weights that close?

Canelo would step up to 175 to fight Kovalev, who his camp likes because he's not good at handling body shots and Canelo loves those.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Also if somehow the fight got made it's for sure going to be a catch-weight. I'd guess 171

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I think Callum Smith beats Canelo pretty handily. He’s almost 6’4, could easily be fighting at lightheavyweight, and is in his prime. I’d actually be very surprised if Canelo even took that fight.

The Kovalev fight all depends on how diminished Kovalev is. If he’s at all near his best he wins that fight handily as well.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The idea of Canelo fighting Kovalev is just crazy to me. Maybe at a 171 catchweight they can get him, anything else strikes me as a really bad idea.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey guys, there's a new belt in the world of boxing and it's got the weirdest rules a belt can have

quote:

1. The Franchise Champion designation is exclusively by appointment of the WBC Board of Governors by a majority vote of the board.

2. This designation is not transferable and is exclusively to the fighter who receives such designation.

3. The Franchise Champion will be designated as WBC Emeritus Champion once he retires from boxing.

4. The Franchise Champion will proudly represent the WBC in every single fight as a reigning WBC champion, regardless of any specific conditions or titles being associated with all future fights. WBC rules and regulations will govern under the traditional conditions of boxing in the Franchise champion fights. WBC will approve through the franchise champion promoter every opponent scheduled to fight.

5. Franchise Champion agrees to participate in a minimum of two social responsibility events every year, organized and in conjunction with the WBC.

6. The WBC may recognize a WBC champion in the division or divisions where the Franchise champion currently competes.

7. The WBC may award a Diamond Championship belt in those fights in which the Franchise Champion engages. If the Franchise Champion loses, the winner will receive the Diamond belt and may be considered as mandatory contender of the division.

It's a belt you get by appointment, and you don't lose it when you lose a fight. It's basically a transparent grab at Canelo's cash

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Hey guys, there's a new belt in the world of boxing and it's got the weirdest rules a belt can have

It's a belt you get by appointment, and you don't lose it when you lose a fight. It's basically a transparent grab at Canelo's cash

what the gently caress?

The SituAsian posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1143986170411438081?s=19

If you told me in 2013 that one day we could get Canelo-Kovalev....

what the gently caress?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Also to protect from having to call the Jermall Charlo mandatory

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

What's that line, the points are arbitrary and the rules don't matter?

I would really like to see Canelo battered and beaten and then retain his franchise title

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Dejan Bimble posted:

I would really like to see Canelo battered and beaten and then retain his franchise title

As much as I agree with that sentiment-at least the feeling of wanting to see Canelo take another definite loss at this point-I feel he would beat Kovalev. Basically there is no way they would make that fight unless they drained Kovalev down to probably 171 and Sergey has shown weakness to the body before. As crazy as it sounds I would pick Canelo to stop Kovalev in any fight that they make unless it's not a catchweight. If they were to make it the full light-heavyweight limit of 175 and Canelo gets a clean win then really no one could ever really say poo poo about him ever again in good faith.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Dejan Bimble posted:

Who's Line? :v:

"The rules are made up and the points don't matter."

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

As much as I agree with that sentiment-at least the feeling of wanting to see Canelo take another definite loss at this point-I feel he would beat Kovalev. Basically there is no way they would make that fight unless they drained Kovalev down to probably 171 and Sergey has shown weakness to the body before. As crazy as it sounds I would pick Canelo to stop Kovalev in any fight that they make unless it's not a catchweight. If they were to make it the full light-heavyweight limit of 175 and Canelo gets a clean win then really no one could ever really say poo poo about him ever again in good faith.

really? because kovalev is washed. and there's rumours that ggg was flooring kovalev in sparring when he was one of the scariest active fighters in the sport. beating kovalev at 175 today is a great achievement but it does not wipe out the two gifts he's received against ggg. callum smith though...

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Richard Commey looked decent in stopping a faded Ray Beltran. I still take Teofimo Lopez over him though. Apparently that’s next.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Richard Commey looked decent in stopping a faded Ray Beltran. I still take Teofimo Lopez over him though. Apparently that’s next.

I agree but just when it seemed that the Commey-Lopez winner was headed for Lomachenko and old friend (or foe) appears

https://twitter.com/CarlMoretti/status/1144771974813458432

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Well literally no fights this weekend because of the July 4th holiday. Only real news is that Golden Boy supposedly submitted a formal offer to Main Events for a Kovalev fight but that is in jeopardy because they felt it was a low-ball (reportedly 6.5 million which is only a little over half of what Danny Jacobs got). Golden Boy reported to have also submitted offers to fight Andrade and Jamie Munguia as well. Canelo will almost certainly be fighting September 14th in Las Vegas at T-Mobile Arena against someone.

Let us celebrate America's independence with a couple great fights on YouTube

https://youtu.be/dOqWPoR76mI - James Toney vs Vasilly Jirov 2003. An infamous Emmanuel Steward "Oh My God" fight

https://youtu.be/aDU9CHUkJ00 - Manny Pacquio - Juab Manuel Marquez. Corrales-Castillo Smorales-Smastillo. This is the fight of the century to date.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Juab

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

I would blame being drunk but I'll just take the L (or the B as it were) on this one

And the rest of you can enjoy Canelo-GGG 1 and 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOE_bCjV4UM&t=206s -1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib0TXUr0rSw - 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Canelo looks like he might be down to either Andrade or Munguia for his next fight if the GGG 3 fight can't get made. Andrade would be interesting. Munguia would not be.