Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Croatoan posted:

Is that more or less than a standard ham?

jesus, dont you know there is a steep gradient on the ham to jamon conversion market?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Eat This Glob posted:

jesus, dont you know there is a steep gradient on the ham to jamon conversion market?

Well sure, if you use the black market and not the official rate.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Hello my friends, I hadn't seen this cursed material posted before, so I wanted to share

https://www.apnews.com/500b26e3e8b9473aa0dcb802707d5171

In related news, does anyone have a link to that article that was a "history" of "yum yum sauce", or whatever the hell it was caused, the stuff from hibachi places?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Hello my friends, I hadn't seen this cursed material posted before, so I wanted to share

Experiencing this is horrific. The first time I found it, I thought they were just bringing out some free white queso and got a huge fuckin' scoop and it's real fuckin' yikes.

The article says it's also in northern NC and I have never experienced that hell in this state, but maybe I'm just lucky. All the Mexican food I had while living in DC and working in NoVA ranged from disappointing to disgusting, and when I'd travel down to NC and stop somewhere on the interstate it just got worse until I crossed the border.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Here's the article I was thinking of about the other classic "white sauce":

https://www.postandcourier.com/food...1cdce083ad.html

White people, my friends. We ruin everything.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
it's not really unique to america to eat foreign food wrong. Hibachi is a fun social experience that tastes good, and what they serve is way less offensive than your average general tso's.

It's not really the fact of white sauce that bothers me, it's the sheer quantity that seems alarming.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 18, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

therattle posted:

Well sure, if you use the black market and not the official rate.

Personally I use the black forest market.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

No Wave posted:

it's not really unique to america to eat foreign food wrong. Hibachi is a fun social experience that tastes good, and what they serve is way less offensive than your average general tso's.

It's not really the fact of white sauce that bothers me, it's the sheer quantity that seems alarming.

Oh certainly, but I am now anticipating that Americans will have invented a "white sauce" for every form of foreign cuisine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This stuff apparently started around here. Everyone calls it white sauce, and growing up here I assumed it actually had some Mexican connections but nope. You can find it at every Mexican restaurant in Hampton Roads though. And gently caress the haters, it's tasty.

https://pilotonline.com/life/flavor/restaurants/article_fe7119ba-6c23-11e9-be4f-1f7a7c9f8291.html

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I was surprised to find out that Ketchup is not the #1 condiment in the US. It's mayo. It makes sense when I think about how we put it in so many god drat things. Stop eating so much mayo. It's not just a white people thing, it's an American thing and it's loving gross. Surprisingly, Ketchup isn't even the #2 condiment in the US. Ever since the big push in the 80's and 90's, salsa is the #2.

Back to my point though. STOP USING MAYO ON EVERYTHING! When you dip literally everything in ranch, it stops tasting like the thing you're eating and it just tastes like ranch! ARGH!!!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I've bought a bottle of kewpie mayonnaise before. You can put it on fried rice, white rice, fried chicken, braised meat, beef liver, chicken breast, chinese leftovers, shrimp, soft shell crab, fish, anything but italian/indian food honestly. If I grew up with it and wasnt self conscious to avoid it it's seriously appealing stuff. I don't think it's healthy that it's a thing that is put on everything ofc.

Ranch I just don't get, it's like mayonnaise without the things i like about mayonnaise.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Putting an egg on everything is just the modern mayonnaise.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

No Wave posted:

Ranch I just don't get, it's like mayonnaise without the things i like about mayonnaise.
Ranch? Oh, you mean Salad "Frosting".

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This stuff apparently started around here. Everyone calls it white sauce, and growing up here I assumed it actually had some Mexican connections but nope. You can find it at every Mexican restaurant in Hampton Roads though. And gently caress the haters, it's tasty.

https://pilotonline.com/life/flavor/restaurants/article_fe7119ba-6c23-11e9-be4f-1f7a7c9f8291.html

I...I linked this six posts ago. on the same page. come on.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

I...I linked this six posts ago. on the same page. come on.

My link was better.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

:argh:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Ranch? Oh, you mean Salad "Frosting".

That must be a joke. That must be a joke.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You don't dress, you decorate, a jello/mayo salad

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

these crazy, hyper-regional food mashups are the best. I've heard of that white sauce before and I want to try it. It's probably not that great, but I bet if I grew up on it, I'd devour it too.

In Appalachia they have biscuits and chocolate gravy, which sounds delicious

Ohio's got a shredded chicken sandwich that they serve at potlucks and stuff. One guy created a very 90s website about it!

And I think my favorite is the St. Paul sandwich around St. Louis that's made with egg foo young

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

gently caress all y’all, ranch dressing owns :colbert:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m with you. I make it from scratch and it’s fine.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Discendo Vox posted:

In related news, does anyone have a link to that article that was a "history" of "yum yum sauce", or whatever the hell it was caused, the stuff from hibachi places?

Texas (and now anywhere with a Chuy's) has creamy jalapeño salsa, which is the best free way to enjoy tortilla chips :colbert:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BrianBoitano posted:

Texas (and now anywhere with a Chuy's) has creamy jalapeño salsa, which is the best free way to enjoy tortilla chips :colbert:

Correct

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

No Wave posted:

I've bought a bottle of kewpie mayonnaise before. You can put it on fried rice, white rice, fried chicken, braised meat, beef liver, chicken breast, chinese leftovers, shrimp, soft shell crab, fish, anything but italian/indian food honestly. If I grew up with it and wasnt self conscious to avoid it it's seriously appealing stuff. I don't think it's healthy that it's a thing that is put on everything ofc.

Source your quotes.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

therattle posted:

That must be a joke. That must be a joke.
Ingredients: Kraft ranch dressing and deception.

https://twitter.com/KraftBrand/status/1138038555178098688

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

This whole page is gross.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SubG posted:

Ingredients: Kraft ranch dressing and deception.

https://twitter.com/KraftBrand/status/1138038555178098688

I am not certain that packaging is valid under FDA product identity regulations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

I am not certain that packaging is valid under FDA product identity regulations.
It quite clearly says that one of the ingredients is deception.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnngh.

My boyfriend felt like cooking tonight, and wanted to make some kind of bitter gourd and paneer thing. Awesome, have fun, I'll do the dishes. He holds up my Griswold cast iron and asks if he can borrow it. Sure, be careful, I'll clean it when you're done.

An hour later, he's melted the plastic Instant Pot spatula onto the cast iron, burnt that and a fair coating of paneer onto my cast iron, says my pan is useless and ruined the meal. Thanks buddy.

Suffice to say, he may not use my cast iron any more.

I'm not mad, just disappointed.

Update! Cast iron is fine, didn't even take much effort to scrape the cheese up, the seasoning is intact. I do need to reseason this bad boy some day, perhaps next time it's cool enough to turn the oven on.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 19, 2019

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

I. M. Gei posted:

I have a secret. I really enjoy lovely Sysco ranch when it's kinda runny for fries at places like Outback.

BrianBoitano posted:

gently caress it I take it back, y'all are nasty.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Croatoan posted:

gently caress it I take it back, y'all are nasty.

Non-texan spotted

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Anyone that doesn’t like creamy jalapeño salsa should be reported to the police and/or government.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 19, 2019

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Anyone that doesn’t like creamy jalapeño salsa should be reported to the police and/or government.
Are you talking about queso?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SubG posted:

Are you talking about queso?

That too.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
There’s no cream or dairy of any kind in the Austin creamy jalapeño sauce. It’s roasted jalapeños and garlic blended super smooth with oil to form an emulsion. It’s delicious.

Chuy’s deseeds the peppers first. Tacodeli doesn’t and is wayyyyyy hotter.

Edit: also pretty sure that Chuy’s uses the TAM hybrid, while Tacodeli uses normal jalapeños.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 19, 2019

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

There’s no cream or dairy of any kind in the Austin creamy jalapeño sauce. It’s roasted jalapeños and garlic blended super smooth with oil to form an emulsion. It’s delicious.

Edit: also pretty sure that Chuy’s uses the TAM hybrid, while Tacodeli uses normal jalapeños.
According to copycat recipe sites, Chuy's creamy jalapeño dip contains sour cream, mayo, and possibly buttermilk and/or buttermilk ranch.

I mean I can't personally vouch for this because I've never been in a Chuy's in my life, but that's what everyone in the first page of google results for copycat recipes thinks.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Hmmmm. It’s been years since I’ve been there and had it. I just remembered it being like the Doña sauce from TD and my favorite local Mexican joints. It WOULD be like Chuy’s to take something good from Mexican places and ruin it.

I would go check it out, but that would require me to go back and give money to Chuy’s.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Doom Rooster posted:

Chuys and Tacodeli are dog poo poo. I’m from San Antonio. Fight me.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Crusty Nutsack posted:

these crazy, hyper-regional food mashups are the best. I've heard of that white sauce before and I want to try it. It's probably not that great, but I bet if I grew up on it, I'd devour it too.

In Appalachia they have biscuits and chocolate gravy, which sounds delicious

Ohio's got a shredded chicken sandwich that they serve at potlucks and stuff. One guy created a very 90s website about it!

And I think my favorite is the St. Paul sandwich around St. Louis that's made with egg foo young

Regional food specializations are fascinating. It's easily accessible food anthropology, and there aren't nearly enough books being written about it. That goes further than just the foods being eaten - you can figure out where you are in the US by checking out the local diner's condiments. Southwest? You'll find Tapatio and/or Cholula. Midwest? Ketchup, maybe yellow mustard, and salt with rice in it to keep it from sticking together in the humidity. Swap out the ketchup for Tabasco and you're probably in the Deep South. Some day I'm going to do a road trip through the whole US and catalog diner condiments, then write a book about it because we should be the change we want to see in the world.

Along with the best drat interview show around, First We Feast on YouTube has a show about burgers that looks at super-regional variations pretty frequently. It's a neat look at edible Americana and I mostly enjoy it, despite it being slightly over-produced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdvZC91YpMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
The Burger Show makes me so drat mad. George Motz, the "burger scholar" guy who's in like every third episode, is way more knowledgeable, engaging, and interesting than Alvin Cailan, the actual host.