Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Torquemada posted:

I haven’t aged well apparently: I gave Rick And Morty a shot, it’s kind of exhausting to listen to a guy say ‘Morty’ so much.

A guy on Reddit made a chart. He says it 113 times in the first episode.

He got better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Did they account for stutters?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Torquemada posted:

I haven’t aged well apparently: I gave Rick And Morty a shot, it’s kind of exhausting to listen to a guy say ‘Morty’ so much.

The verbal tics were really bad in the pilot, but they must have got the same feedback because they cut them down significantly after that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of Rick and Morty, is, as I think Dan Harmon said, putting a frame around Justin Roiland's madness.

Bushworld Adventures is the best episode.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

repiv posted:

The verbal tics were really bad in the pilot, but they must have got the same feedback because they cut them down significantly after that.

Yeah they really glommed it on with the whole rickandmorty.com forever thing. I hated it when I first watched it but now I can go back and like it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The pilot is pretty terrible but that cold open with Rick attempting to nuke the world while stinking drunk is hysterical and the perfect way to show what you're in for with this show.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah they really glommed it on with the whole rickandmorty.com forever thing. I hated it when I first watched it but now I can go back and like it.
That bit at the end of the first episode is one of my favorite jokes in the show, but I'm also not a huge Rick and Morty fan.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
With all this Rick and Morty chat I decided to go ahead and watch the pilot. With that and the few later episodes I caught, I think I'm good, thanks. :shrug:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Absurd Alhazred posted:

With all this Rick and Morty chat I decided to go ahead and watch the pilot. With that and the few later episodes I caught, I think I'm good, thanks. :shrug:
At least watch Bushworld Adventures even if you don't want to watch the rest of the show, coming from somebody that's also not really a big fan.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Jun 16, 2019

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The same guy that recommended Rick and Morty to me also loves Bosch, which I watched the first episode of and found to be the most cliched and formulaic thing going. Apparently that gets better later on too, but when you have stuff like Chernobyl’s five episodes of glory arriving from out of nowhere, five seasons of police procedural horseshit loses its appeal if you have limited time.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Accordion Man posted:

At least watch Bushworld Adventures even if you don't want to watch the rest of the show, coming from somebody that's also not really a big fan.

Literally the first episode I ever started watching, it was really unpleasant. The only reason I tried again was because I was told it wasn't representative of the show.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Torquemada posted:

The same guy that recommended Rick and Morty to me also loves Bosch, which I watched the first episode of and found to be the most cliched and formulaic thing going. Apparently that gets better later on too, but when you have stuff like Chernobyl’s five episodes of glory arriving from out of nowhere, five seasons of police procedural horseshit loses its appeal if you have limited time.

Bosch isn't really doing anything new or exciting, but it does all the old tricks really well. It's a show for people who like police procedurals, and those people latched on to Bosch hard because most procedural shows are poo poo now.

R&M is... weird, though. Like, I think it's a really good show, but I also totally get not liking it, just because it's so deliberately abrasive in its aesthetic and writing. It kind of feels like a Flash Tub animation that got poo poo-tons of money and effort dumped into it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Literally the first episode I ever started watching, it was really unpleasant. The only reason I tried again was because I was told it wasn't representative of the show.
Nope, "unpleasant" is part of the show's aesthetic. You aren't going to like it.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nope, "unpleasant" is part of the show's aesthetic. You aren't going to like it.

Yeah all the belching and slurring and stuttering from Rick is not great. But once you get to that scene where Morty is explaining to Summer about that last adventure and what's in the yard it has a certain something. Then several hours of nonsense later NIN's Hurt is playing and welp.

I'd say it'd be on par with Bojack Horseman if only for the fans. Fans ruin everything.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Skratchez posted:

Fans ruin everything.

When the third season ended without AS immediately renewing it, some of the fans were celebrating saying it had jumped the shark and was complete garbage and good riddance.

Then the 70 episode contract was announced and they all went apeshit.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I find it extremely hard to believe that Harmon will be able to produce 70 episodes period, let alone 70 watchable episodes.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got one or more seasons entirely comprised of those godawful improvised Dimensional Cable eps.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

AceOfFlames posted:

those godawful improvised Dimensional Cable eps.

what the hell

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

What? They're fine but I totally get why they would be nails-on-a-chalkboard to some people.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I was okay with the first one but the second one was dire.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm sure some people are gonna be allergic to this, but it's topic-relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-KInfYzqZU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

what the hell

I think some parts of them are funny (the Jan-Michael Vincent one comes to mind) but they just go on for FAR too long.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I was okay with the first one but the second one was dire.

IIRC they didn't want to do a second one at all. Morty's Mind-Blowers was an attempt to mix it up.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

AceOfFlames posted:

I think some parts of them are funny (the Jan-Michael Vincent one comes to mind) but they just go on for FAR too long.

I found Ants-In-My-Eyes Johnson funnier than I should have.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The dimensional TV episode mostly consists of jokes that are in theory hilarious, but don't really work as well as they should because of the nature of it. Ants In My Eyes Johnson is pretty good, but he'd probably be great if you cut a few of those lines out.

Except for Two Brothers. Two Brothers makes maximum use of every single word it's got.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something to bear in mind with Interdimensional TV is that it's not just improv - it's one of the writers getting blind drunk and just rambling every dumb idea that comes to their head and then that just gets animated.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Iirc Roiland also got drunk to voice drunk Rick in that superhero/Saw episode.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
The best Rick and Morty was the trial transcript of that guy who was going for the record of most in contempt of court.

The transcript by itself was hilarious but with Morty-voice as the judge fuckkkk

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Skratchez posted:

The best Rick and Morty was the trial transcript of that guy who was going for the record of most in contempt of court.

The transcript by itself was hilarious but with Morty-voice as the judge fuckkkk

Yeah, I actually enjoyed that one.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The high priestess from Kif’s home planet (Futurama) was in the gallery for that.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Skratchez posted:

That was sublime. However, it's a crying shame that the version they uploaded to YouTube had the cursing bleeped out and the only uncensored version is that Comic-Con bootleg. How dare they deny us the magic that is hearing the words "Suck my dick you fuckman" in the Rick voice.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 12:28 on Jun 19, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Season 1 of The Venture Bros did not age gracefully.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Venture Brothers in general hasn't aged that well. Way too much time between seasons, and the huge break/location shift between Seasons 4 and 5 was a mistake. I honestly think they should have hung it up at Season 4, even if Season 5 wasn't bad.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

mind the walrus posted:

The Venture Brothers in general hasn't aged that well. Way too much time between seasons, and the huge break/location shift between Seasons 4 and 5 was a mistake. I honestly think they should have hung it up at Season 4, even if Season 5 wasn't bad.

I'm not sure what the last season I saw was but there's a lot more casual homophobia in that first season than I remember

Edit: Jesus Christ season 2 has a gay prison rape joke

Len has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Jun 23, 2019

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There's still a lot of questionable poo poo. A major character from Season 3 and on is a reformed pedophile who "wackily" gets tempted by small children and tiny feet. One episode's plot is literally about Hank getting statutory raped by his half-brother's mom... who his dad statutory raped and knocked up causing the half-brother to exist in the first place. Oh but Dr. Girlfriend is still all-woman though, in case you weirdos were concerned we're gonna make sure that loose end is full and tied.

Like I respect Venture Bros because it's a phenomenal synthesis of Gen-X geek culture into a streamlined-yet-functional continuity like Astro City or Top 10 were in comic books... but when you lay it out there's some nasty poo poo in there.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
A redemptive arc for a pedophile is pretty progressive.

They're generally considered to be incurable/irredeemable.

Fighting those urges is no mean feat.

Making cheap jokes about it may be crass but what other show or movie has touched this flaming dogshit? The only thing that comes to mind is Kevin Bacon in The Woodsman.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The one thing I really remember about that show is how they treated Johnny Quest and Race Bannon, who are now tweaked out/living under the sea, and died when his parachute drug him down a random street (as kids were surfing the body) before making GBS threads his pants in front of Brock. These are the canon endings for them too, since AS realized they owned some of the old Hannah Barbara properties and wasted no time doing what they do best.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yeah, I guess I only really remember nthe good non awful bits.

I hope Shore Leave is still as fantastic as I remember and not cringy and awful

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Skratchez posted:

A redemptive arc for a pedophile is pretty progressive.

They're generally considered to be incurable/irredeemable.

Fighting those urges is no mean feat.

Making cheap jokes about it may be crass but what other show or movie has touched this flaming dogshit? The only thing that comes to mind is Kevin Bacon in The Woodsman.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

You can other pedophiles and wish them away to superjail if you like, won't fix anything

I'd say you probably know one but you're posting on SA so you definitely know one.

I think super invasive electronic monitoring would solve the problem if it weren't for the fact that most are fambly and covered up for. And also high functioning sociopaths working as corporate executives who are basically untouchable since they can shovel money at problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Len posted:

I'm not sure what the last season I saw was but there's a lot more casual homophobia in that first season than I remember

Edit: Jesus Christ season 2 has a gay prison rape joke

Season 1 and 2 were over 15 years ago.

Thats basically an entire generation. The writers are very aware how poorly the gay jokes have aged.

As far as prison rape, you still see casual meant to be funny "don't drop the soap" in CBS proceduals that everyone has a laugh at.