Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mephiston posted:

Alright fellas, I need your help/advice.

I'm trying to clean water marks off my side windows and wing mirrors. It's a pain in the rear end because my windows and mirrors look like they've got dirt on them all the time, so it makes seeing through them difficult. I've hit them with glass polish (this stuff). I've tried diluted vinegar, scrubbed with bicarb, made a paste of vinegar and bicarb, tried rubbing alcohol and mineral spirits, and nothing helps.

Here's some pics, sorry for the clarity but its quite hard to catch on camera, as I'm sure you can imagine:

This window was wet, but the splotches stick around even when its dry. As I said above, when you're actually looking through it, it looks like dried dust/dirt.

My fingernail makes a squeaking noise whenever i run the tip of it over the affected area, but it doesn't do it on the smooth/clean part of the windscreen (where the wipers clean). There's also a very light texture to it.
The car is a 2002 Suzuki Liana that actually belongs to my fiance's parents, but we're using for the time being, since they're quite elderly and can't drive.

Sorry if I missed a really obvious post pointing this out, but there was nothing in the last 10 pages or so, and nothing in the OP about it, and I'm at my wits end here.

Clean the glass first with glass cleaner, then 0000 steel wool, spray bottle of water (I use distilled because I have it on hand for other things) and a ton of time. I've done this to multiple vehicles, notably two 1985s.
You do exactly what you think you do, mist the glass and rub with light pressure. You'll feel the resistance change as you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

I will give that a try, thanks. I'm going to be paranoid the whole time about scratching the glass with the steel wool, though.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Mephiston posted:

I will give that a try, thanks. I'm going to be paranoid the whole time about scratching the glass with the steel wool, though.

Have you tried this stuff first?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I doubt its much of a thing, if it is at all, but has anyone ever flashed a hybrids ECU to provide more power? I see the sum horsepower of the two engines of a random hybrid being 250+ and then it ends up having 140-160 horsepower in practice, it seems like it has to be programmed to let off the electric motor as the gas engine spins up, unless the parasitic loss from having two engines working together is 30-40%. I would have thought they would let both go whole hog when planted flat-out, but maybe that wasnt considered necessary/good for their image.

I recognize that with a few exceptions hybrids are meant for fuel economy, so its not going to be a widespread thing. Im just wondering if its a thing people have done at all.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You can't just sum them as the two engines have their peaks at different points in the RPM range. I mean, the electric engine puts down most of its power at 0 RPM. That's essentially 0 hp from the gas engine at that point.

But, go look up some of the hybrid super cars. They put electric motors at each wheel adn do amazing things with power delivery.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My buddy was installing a new head unit into his car while his car was powered on (dumbass) and seems to have blown a fuse and his dash lights aren't working. He can't find the correct fuse. Can anyone help?

2005 chevy classic.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I doubt its much of a thing, if it is at all, but has anyone ever flashed a hybrids ECU to provide more power? I see the sum horsepower of the two engines of a random hybrid being 250+ and then it ends up having 140-160 horsepower in practice, it seems like it has to be programmed to let off the electric motor as the gas engine spins up, unless the parasitic loss from having two engines working together is 30-40%. I would have thought they would let both go whole hog when planted flat-out, but maybe that wasnt considered necessary/good for their image.

I recognize that with a few exceptions hybrids are meant for fuel economy, so its not going to be a widespread thing. Im just wondering if its a thing people have done at all.

There are kits for hybrids that spoof the battery charge level to the ECU over the CANBUS to make the hybrid system use far more electric power than normal. These kits are normally used to turn older hybrids into plugin hybrids, they involve a second lithium ion battery pack. This doesn't increase the overall horsepower though.

My Prius C has a 71hp gas engine, and a 60hp electric motor. The quoted total system horsepower is 99hp. This limitation is actually from the battery - apparently it can only provide like 30hp worth of electricity. With enough charge in the battery, this car can easily get itself going faster than the quoted 0-60 times, but it can't do it constantly. When you're pushing it a lot (like mountain driving), the hybrid system will run out of power, and you'll be stuck with just 71hp, and it'll be a lot slower.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Uthor posted:

You can't just sum them as the two engines have their peaks at different points in the RPM range. I mean, the electric engine puts down most of its power at 0 RPM. That's essentially 0 hp from the gas engine at that point.

To add to this, most hybrids are built to exploit these two different power peaks. Pretty much every mainstream hybrid uses some form of Atkinson cycle on the gas engine, sacrificing some torque and outright performance for better fuel economy, and using the electric motor to make up the difference.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wait, do the gas engine and electric motor have to be spinning at the same RPM? With old (brushed) RC motors slow used to be 35k RPM or so, I didnt think larger brushless ones would be 10-20% the speed. Or is it a constant ratio between the electric and gas motors or something?

I also thought that an electric motor should have a completely linear hp curve, so it shouldnt peter out at the top end or anything. Just going off of horsepower being the function of torque times rpm divided by some constant I cant remember. With torque being a constant on an electric motor it should be completely linear, right? Or am I missing something about how modern electric car motors work? My only hands-on experience is with the old brushed RC motors, which are about 1/1000th the size and Stone Age technology comparatively.

I hadnt thought of the battery not being able to provide the discharge rate to fully juice the motor for anything more than a second or so, thats pretty dumb.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Depends on the type of hybrid. If it's the kind where the motor is in-line with the engine in the power path, yeah, the RPM of the two is always going to be conjoined.

The Prius has a neat transmission setup where the two inputs don't have to be at the same RPM.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Satellit3 posted:

I posted this on MyG37 but please help if you have some thoughts, thanks.

Hey I have a 2008 G37 Sport. Randomly something will go wrong with the engine management, I've had it happen 0 times in a week or 4 times in a week...

The first sign is idle starts to rest at 800 rpm instead of 650 like normal. The throttle will surge randomly at low revs, whether you're in a gear or in neutral, and it can happen whether I'm on or off the gas. If I select first and slowly let the clutch out with my foot completely off gas pedal, the revs will drop a bit (of course) but then this surge happens and it jumps to ~1500 making it impossible to engage first like a normal person. I could also be like in third gear, going slow-ish (below 2000rpm), then let's say I put on 30% throttle. That's fine for a moment but then the car could give extra throttle for a few seconds as if I'm asking for 60% throttle, then it goes back to where I actually have the pedal position. Another example is first gear engaged, I'm going 4mph and put on the tiniest bit of throttle to crawl forward faster, the car will leap ahead as if I'm giving way more throttle.

It has been this way for months and pissing me off, and I haven't been able to reproduce for my mechanic so they won't do anything. I have absolutely no clue what causes the car to enter this mode. It truly seems random. Sometimes turning the car off/on gets rid of it...

I've reset the ECU (unplug battery overnight), done the throttle pedal position reset, throttle body relearn, and idle air relearn. These did not help the issue. Any thoughts on what the f is going on and what I should do???

opengl128 posted:

Any codes?

Satellit3 posted:

I don't have a thing to pull that. No lights on the dashboard though.

Hello! I bought a BAFX scanner. The issue has not returned since it arrived, but I wanted to ask some 'baseline' questions.

Does this look normal at idle after a ~30 min drive?

Is it ok that the 'fuel pressue' and 'intake manifold pressure' gauges have no data? Most of the other things I turned on do show data.

Finally, the 'throttle position' gauge only goes up to 89 when I have it pinned. Problem?

I'll report back when I catch the beast in the act...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Anyway yeah my plan is to check for blow-by and the tablespoon of oil in the cylinder thing, but like 90% sure I'll be doing the valve stem seals. I'll leave off on doing the cat, see if a hot cat, heavy oil, and the seals results in a pass.

Following up. Reminder, this is a green 1992 chevy S-10 4.3l V6 automatic, failed smog mostly due to blue smoke/snap throttle test/too much smoke at 15mph, + high HC.
I previously tested compression on all six cylinders cold. This saturday, I tested two cylinders hot, first as-is and then after adding a tbsp or so of oil through the spark plug hole to each cylinder, in turn.

First: no blow-by that I could see from the dipstick tube. The valve covers do not have exposed vents, although each has a tube that goes into the throttle body, I did not notice any flow from them but I wasn't really sure how to look for that. For now let's assume no significant blow-by.
pre:
Cyl#	Starter revs	PSI	PSI with oil added
1	6		68	66
	9		116	110
	12		135	145
	15		150	165
	18		165	180
	21		175	185
	24		175	195

3	3			60
	6		60	95
	9		100	140
	12		120	160
	15		140	180
	18		160	190
	21		165	190
	24		175	195
	27		179
	31		179
Blank means I didn't test (e.g, for cyl 3, I reved 6 times dry, but then checked @3 revs on the wet test), and I ran each test until pressure seemed to have plateaued.

I only checked 2 cylinders because A) it's supposed to be a hot test and the engine was cooling as it sat, and B) I was burning my knuckles on the goddamn manifolds, and C) gently caress cylinder 2, the steering shaft interferes and it's a pain in the dick work that hole. Also my wife was helping and she got sick of helping and doing it alone sucks too.

Anyway my takeaway from this limited test is: compression takes longer to come up with the engine hot than it did when cold; but, it tops out at a higher pressure, too. It comes up faster with oil added than not, and reaches a higher max compression with oil added as well.

e.g., some wear on the piston rings, yeah? This engine has 225k miles, so that's to be expected. This is all with just normal 10w30, not high-mileage oil. Think I can still get away with just doing the valve stem seals? I don't have a sense of how bad these numbers are.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Mephiston posted:

To clean shower glass I use even parts white vinegar to washing up liquid and a pair of old tights to scrub, you could try that

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mephiston posted:

I went and dug up pictures from the 1985 Hilux Surf we had. This hard water spotting did not budge with anything else I tried, which was water/vinegar mixes, various hard-water chemicals, stuff like that. I like the 0000 steel wool and water combo because you don't have to worry about any trim or metal contact or anything since it's just water.

Beware those green scotch pads, those fuckers WILL scratch glass. I had zero scratches with 0000 steel wool though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: nevermind

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 18, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Uthor posted:

My buddy was installing a new head unit into his car while his car was powered on (dumbass) and seems to have blown a fuse and his dash lights aren't working. He can't find the correct fuse. Can anyone help?

2005 chevy classic.

Assuming he's already double checked the dash brightness switch to make sure he didn't turn them down all the way, it'll be the parking light fuse. Should be in the interior fuse box, though GM likes to play hide the fusebox on their cars. I think the 05 Classic should have it on the left side of the dash, behind the side panel that meets the door. If it's not there, it may be in the trunk on the driver's side, behind the trunk carpet.

Let me guess, he cut the original harness instead of using an adapter harness? The adapter harness lets you wire the stereo up on your kitchen table, then just plug it in (makes it a lot easier to return to stock too).

Mephiston posted:

That's why you get 0000 - aka "super fine grade". You'll probably need to go to a home improvement store to find it; it's not what you wash dishes with, it's meant to be used as a final finish/polish for woodworking and metal.

It's usually stocked next to sandpaper. Lowe's will tell you exactly where in the store it is once you select your nearest store.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Thanks!

STR posted:

Let me guess, he cut the original harness instead of using an adapter harness? The adapter harness lets you wire the stereo up on your kitchen table, then just plug it in (makes it a lot easier to return to stock too).

I wasn't there, but I'd guess he used an adapter. He had one on the stereo he was replacing and sent me a photo of some wiring when he was doing it.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
I've never owned a car in my life, but I need to buy one that will last me one or two years, and a campervan makes sense for my current situation (for 2-4 night trips, not living in it). I'm inquiring about a 1997 Mitsubishi Delica and received the following reply:

quote:

there has been a bit of water loss when I was in Wa I got a new radiator and expansion tank it has been fine but occasionally I still add water so might ben something fredter going on imnnot sure

Can anybody translate this? Is this something that needs repairing and if so what might that run me?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kasumeat posted:

I've never owned a car in my life, but I need to buy one that will last me one or two years, and a campervan makes sense for my current situation (for 2-4 night trips, not living in it). I'm inquiring about a 1997 Mitsubishi Delica and received the following reply:

Can anybody translate this? Is this something that needs repairing and if so what might that run me?

It's got a coolant leak somewhere, and it might be anything from a loose hose clamp to a blown head gasket. Have a mechanic take a look at it before you buy it.

A 20+ year old car is going to need lots of maintenance continuously. It will be a great learning experience if you want to learn to turn wrenches yourself, but if that's not what you're after, something <10 years old might be a better choice.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Not related to your enquiry but
CHECK THE SUNROOF DOESN'T LEAK

amazing the number of people who buy old cars and don't bring a bottle of water to pour on the roof and around the gutters. Goes double if you're going to be living in it.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

It's got a coolant leak somewhere, and it might be anything from a loose hose clamp to a blown head gasket. Have a mechanic take a look at it before you buy it.

A 20+ year old car is going to need lots of maintenance continuously. It will be a great learning experience if you want to learn to turn wrenches yourself, but if that's not what you're after, something <10 years old might be a better choice.

My situation is that I'm living abroad for a year or two and will have to sell when I return. I'm not opposed to learning repairs, but I don't want to have to invest a huge amount of money in paying for lessons nor the tools that I assume it'll require. But if that'll still be better value than paying for repairs, I'm certainly not opposed.

I'm scared of dropping fifteen+ grand on a newer vehicle that might depreciate a lot while I own it, whereas an older model will barely depreciate at all. I figure the extra cost of repairs will be worth it for the lower overall risk of investment, but I'm certainly open to the notion that I might be wrong.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
what is better and cheaper than a camper van is a car, and also a tent

Vegetable Dumpling
Aug 5, 2005

I've got a 2007 Jeep Liberty with a suspected torque converter shudder. Under very constant and light load, it kind of stutters or surges/fades. It's not profound, but just a bit... jerky. It's most obvious on at about 20-30 mph when on smooth road and applying light, even throttle. I thought maybe it's the TPS, but this thing doesn't have a separate TPS so I can't just stick one in. Also, there it idles fine and it gets decent mileage (for an old, high-mileage Jeep).

Anyone got any thoughts? I've got an OBDII thing I can hook to my laptop for diagnostics, but IDK what I'm even looking for.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what is better and cheaper than a camper van is a car, and also a tent

I find the level of comfort much, much lower in a tent.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Forget idea of being able to wrench on what you live in, if it involves a) taking parts off to reach other parts, or b) a jack

You'll likely be on campsites, and that's usually soft ground or at best gravel. Have fun lying under your van on that. Don't get under your car if the ground is at all soft or unstable.

Of course you could park in a shop's carpark but again, you're asking to get a visit from the police or for someone to run your legs over

Both campsites and carparks don't take kindly to people stripping bodywork or bits of engine gubbins into a pile while they track down a fault.

I can change oil and filter, but I couldn't do it if I didn't have my own space or the right space to actually do the work

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kasumeat posted:

My situation is that I'm living abroad for a year or two and will have to sell when I return. I'm not opposed to learning repairs, but I don't want to have to invest a huge amount of money in paying for lessons nor the tools that I assume it'll require. But if that'll still be better value than paying for repairs, I'm certainly not opposed.

I'm scared of dropping fifteen+ grand on a newer vehicle that might depreciate a lot while I own it, whereas an older model will barely depreciate at all. I figure the extra cost of repairs will be worth it for the lower overall risk of investment, but I'm certainly open to the notion that I might be wrong.

A 10-year-old car has already lost about 80% of its value. Depreciation will not be a serious cost issue. After another couple years, you'll sell it at a slight loss, mainly because you have to sell it and can't hold out for a better offer. Depreciation is a serious issue if you're buying new, not so much buying used.

Repairs are a serious consideration. You might get lucky and have no major issues, but anything and everything could go bad at that age. Plastics age and get brittle and will snap without warning. Rubber likewise oxidizes and decays, so hoses and belts and engine mounts might pop at any time. There could be rust eating away at the frame that you can't see.

An old car is one you drive for short distances, always within towing range of a repair shop.

I suspect you'll spend a roughly equal amount of money either way - either through depreciation on a newer car, or through repairs on an older one. Choose your poison.

An alternative might be a hatch or wagon that you can drop the rear seats and roll out a sleeping bag in the back.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Kasumeat posted:

I find the level of comfort much, much lower in a tent.

harden the gently caress up

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Id much rather a tent than trying to sleep in a cramped van where all my poo poo is competing with my sleeping space

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

cramped van where all my poo poo is competing with my sleeping space

Geesus, walk a few feet outside and away when you need to do #2.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

like you are living abroad for a year or two, and instead of:

buy sensible five year old car that is reliable and won't depreciate much and is readily available, drive around, commute, take it car camping, sell easily to a very large market when you leave

you are planning to:

buy idiot 22 year old camper van that is unreliable and horrible on fuel, commute in it, drive around, and take it camping so you can be marginally more comfortable when you are camping, and then try to sell it to the tiny market of "idiots who want a 22 year old camper van"

what country are you moving to because if it's a gray market import EVEN BIGGER gently caress NO MAN

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Also have you lived in a car or a tent for longer than a few nights before? You might regret that decision and a car is a lot easier to live with than an old rear end van when you decide you want an apartment instead.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kasumeat posted:

I've never owned a car in my life, but I need to buy one that will last me one or two years, and a campervan makes sense for my current situation (for 2-4 night trips, not living in it).

calm down, people, he's not planning to live in his van for 2 years, it's for going camping in sometimes.

a 20 year old campervan is gonna be a fair amount of work, though, and is not the ideal vehicle for commuting.

Kasumeat, how often do you expect to go camping? You could maybe rent a camper if it's like 4 times a year or something, and make up most of the money just in fuel savings by also owning a fuel efficient small car.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Hi AI,

I finally got sick of the Japanese voice in my car telling me to put my ETC card in so I removed the reader. I was planning to mod it to say something stupid but in my googling I found that people are actually installing them in their cars. My question is would it be worth trying to sell it / does anyone want one? I would have to ship from NZ. I'm not sure it would be worth much here since heaps of cars are imported with them.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I'm from PA, possibly buying a used car from a private party in DE. I've read both states DMV requirements but I'm still a little confused on how it goes down with regards to registering/title transfer.

So the seller signs the title over to me, and then hands me the keys to the car. The car will at this point not have plates because the previous owner is supposed to keep them. Can I drive it the 2 hours home and then register/title it in PA the next day, or do I have to transfer the title in DE and get a temporary tag? Chances are the only times I'm going to be able to buy the car the DMVs will be closed that day. Can someone just walk me through it? Assume I am an idiot.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Elysium posted:

I'm from PA, possibly buying a used car from a private party in DE. I've read both states DMV requirements but I'm still a little confused on how it goes down with regards to registering/title transfer.

So the seller signs the title over to me, and then hands me the keys to the car. The car will at this point not have plates because the previous owner is supposed to keep them. Can I drive it the 2 hours home and then register/title it in PA the next day, or do I have to transfer the title in DE and get a temporary tag? Chances are the only times I'm going to be able to buy the car the DMVs will be closed that day. Can someone just walk me through it? Assume I am an idiot.

I don't think PA does temporary transit tags. You take your title to a tag agency and they give you your plate and you'll get the PA title in the mail.

When I bought a car privately in NJ I just put one of my old PA plates on it. I don't know that there's a legit way to do it short of bringing the title back to PA to get your plate then going back for the car.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elysium posted:

The only legit way to do this that I'm aware of, other than trailering the vehicle back home, is to bring the signed over title to a title service in PA and they will register it and give you plates. (note: I'm assuming DE titles don't need to be notarized and work like NJ titles) Go back, put them on and drive home.

I've done this a couple times in NJ. I just take the keys and lock the car up, then I can just throw tags on and go when I return.

I would strongly recommend against what opengl did in the age of nearly every cop car having plate scanners on them now.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, buying a car inter-state on a weekend is a pain in the rear end to do legally without a trailer. I looked in to it once for MD->OH and ended up just renting the U-Haul to get the car home.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Motronic posted:

I would strongly recommend against what opengl did in the age of nearly every cop car having plate scanners on them now.

Let's just say theoretically this car is the same make and model and same color, but newer (slightly different body style) as a car I already own...

Elysium fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 19, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Elysium posted:

Let's just say theoretically this car is the same make and model and same color, but newer (slightly different body style) as a car I already own...

How risk averse are you?

Proper response: I'd call up the DE BMV and ask. Might be a simple solution to get a temp tag that won't aggravate the seller too much. As in, his time is valuable by his standards but if it doesn't take long may not mind. And a place for the final transaction. Plead your case.

Off the record response: Take the plate off one of your other vehicles, slap it on, drive the speed limit, use turn signals and come to complete stops. You'll need a VIN inspection and the usual paperwork/sales tax hoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Calling 2JZ Wizards!

Got a 99 lexus es300 with the 3.0 2jz GE vtt with like 250k on it. Car has sat for a while and got towed in with a no start condition.
Hooked up a battery and it spins like it lost the Timing belt. Belt seams fine, and timing marks seam spot on.
Taking off the crank pully i noticed its rubbing on the timing cover. There is a super small amount of thrust play in the crank.
Tech refuses to do any more diag and says the engine is toast.
Reading different sources I cant get a solid answer if this is an interference motor or not. ANd would a little play in the crank be enough to
write of the engine? Cranking it over it doesnt sound like it has compression so im sort of siding with him but also I thought these things were supposed
to have a beast of a bottom end.