Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Faustian Bargain posted:

Since Eren doesn't have royal blood and thus can't exercise the founding titan, maybe that's why he's immune to the will of the founding titan to not fight against Marley. Because of this, a non-royal consuming the founding titan is the only way to trigger the rumbling.

Wasn't that explicitly said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I forget, will they talk about what the Ackermans are this season or was that not until Eren was reunited with the others?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Pretty sure the “Ackermans were created with titan science” is dropped by Zeke during a conversation with Marleyan generals after the time skip.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Kild posted:

Wasn't that explicitly said
Was it? I skim the manga and read this thread but I could've missed it.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I've been reading the prequel/spin-off manga before the fall, and it's really good if you haven't read it yet. Takes place around 50 years before events in the main story.

I hope that there are more of these that go into other aspects of the world leading up to the events in Attack on Titan. Not just the side stories for some of the other characters in the main story.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
On that day, humanity received a grim reminder: We live in fear of Hot Takes.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
isnt this hot take years old

shameful polygon can't even make their own hot take, have to find and microwave an old stale one

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Polygon posted:

"But well-dressed aesthetics and pacing can only do so much before you start to notice the ideas bubbling underneath the surface. Isayama’s work is full of anti-Korean, nationalist, pro-Japan subtext, parallels to anti-Semitic conspiracy theories, and subtextual references to Nazi Germany."

"Many of them have grotesque or exaggerated features, from short arms to giant heads to ... large noses."

"Frequently, the military — particularly the Survey Corps that Eren and the rest of the main cast belong to — is presented as full of pure rational-decision makers and unquestioned commanders...But the certitude that they should lead is never interrogated."

"That is, to say, it’s not hard to draw the line between the Yeagerists’ (who Eren, incidentally, seems to tacitly endorse) plan of laying waste to the world and the much-beloved right-wing talking point that the Jews (or as they dog-whistle, “Globalists”) either are already secretly controlling the world or are plotting to through finances, Hollywood, or whatever BS that leaks out of their demented heads this week."

"The rise of his work also coincides with the election of current Japanese prime minister and right-wing militarist Shinzo Abe, who infamously reinterpreted Article 9 of Japan’s constitution...to give Japan the ability to increase its self-defense forces and attack when one of its allies is attacked"

This is a rough read. Also it's written for anime watchers but full of manga spoilers.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The entire manga is an alternate ending to The Last Temptation of Christ.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
*Looks at characters who are victims of fascist oppression*
"Those characters are fascists."

It's funny and sad that writers like this take the blatant Marleyan propaganda as completely true.

I never know what to think of this stuff about Isayama denying or defending past Japanese war crimes, but given the way articles like this cherry pick elements of the story and take them out of context I can't help but think they're probably doing the same to Isayama's past statements.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 19, 2019

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Mountaineer posted:

*Looks at characters who are victims of fascist oppression*
"Those characters are fascists."

It's funny and sad that writers like this take the blatant Marleyan propaganda as completely true.

Especially weird since we’ve seen two unrelated Marleyan factions claim it’s all lies. This ain’t a very subtle magna.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Even for Polygon that is poorly written.

I haven’t seen an article so full of outright cherry picking and misunderstanding in a while. They may as well have linked directly to that dumb twitter thread and tumblr blog where they clearly took their info from

Also fun fact the twitter they’re talking about was proven to not be Isayama ages ago wasn’t it? You’d think they’d look into this stuff before posting it. It’s like that Persona 5 article Kotaku posted a while back , absolutely no research into the thing they want to condemn which makes them look like idiots.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 19, 2019

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Every time this comes up it always seems like the person saying it is doing a bad faith reading of the manga. The manga has a consistently anti-war tone to it, and the manga, hell, Eren himself, recognizes that his world view is hosed up and destructive. Hell it even occurred to me when watching the new episodes of the anime that Eren may very well be giving away the ending of the manga when he says that Armin is the one that will save the world, not him.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Some people I follow on twitter have really bought into the whole AoT is fascist idea. One of them also thought Game of Thrones ended well though so they might just have terrible taste.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
What if I'm ambivalent to mildly positive on Game of Thrones and also think Attack on Titan isn't fascist

Ugh. I had this argument with a friend of a friend yesterday who even admitted he hadn't read/watched the series past like the first season and only read plot summaries and I just don't get it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I can see how people felt that way about the first season, but because AoT keeps increasingly humanizing the invading "other" while placing the ostensible heroes into a more morally questionable light the fascist read just holds up less and less and less as time goes on.

IOW it can't be overstated how much the Bert and Ernie reveal made this story better.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think eren isn't going to sterilize all eldians but actually just remove the ability to titanize from all eldians

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Raxivace posted:

I can see how people felt that way about the first season, but because AoT keeps increasingly humanizing the invading "other" while placing the ostensible heroes into a more morally questionable light the fascist read just holds up less and less and less as time goes on.

This is a very key point. A central theme of the story is about how how traumatized people (and especially, traumatized children) can become susceptible to fascist beliefs.

The manga will show the devastating consequences of fascist belief and action, but there's never any extra-diegetical reassurance that "fascism is bad, actually." I think that throws some people.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Captain Invictus posted:

I think eren isn't going to sterilize all eldians but actually just remove the ability to titanize from all eldians

That's probably what he's shooting for, yeah.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's the usual solution in a story like this, but what stops Marley from invading Paradis and slaughtering all Eldians afterwards?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Viridiant posted:

Every time this comes up it always seems like the person saying it is doing a bad faith reading of the manga. The manga has a consistently anti-war tone to it, and the manga, hell, Eren himself, recognizes that his world view is hosed up and destructive. Hell it even occurred to me when watching the new episodes of the anime that Eren may very well be giving away the ending of the manga when he says that Armin is the one that will save the world, not him.

I mean who thought Eren was going to do anything anyway, he loses every single fight and the one time he was about to do something cool(the armor) the manga actually skipped over it

though maybe that's changed, i kinda lost interest after the Big Reveal turned out to be dumb and lead to an even dumber counter-invasion

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The big reveal was really good tho???

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sindai posted:

That's the usual solution in a story like this, but what stops Marley from invading Paradis and slaughtering all Eldians afterwards?

The Rumbling. The plan that Onyankopon says is that the world has to see the power of the Rumbling once, if it destroys the invading forces that should get everyone to back off.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
But that doesn't solve the problem that there needs to be Eldians who can become Titans for that to work. The remaining lifespan of Eren and Zeke isn't long enough.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kassad posted:

But that doesn't solve the problem that there needs to be Eldians who can become Titans for that to work. The remaining lifespan of Eren and Zeke isn't long enough.

I don't think it can revert the Titans already in the Walls to humans. So the rumbling would still work the one time.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think it can revert the Titans already in the Walls to humans. So the rumbling would still work the one time.

But they still need to be able to do it after that, for however many decades it takes to catch up to the rest of the world. And since Eren only has a few years left, that means keeping a bunch of people who can become Titans to pass on his powers.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Note how many people in the comments section of that stupid Polygon article state their opinion with the caveat "I haven't read the manga/watched the anime but..."

Like, gently caress, there's a reason this misinformation spreads so easily. Nobody wants to learn the actual reality because it takes too much effort.

Also bed-head Mikasa is adorable.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Kassad posted:

But they still need to be able to do it after that, for however many decades it takes to catch up to the rest of the world. And since Eren only has a few years left, that means keeping a bunch of people who can become Titans to pass on his powers.

The plan currently is to destroy the massed military forces prepped against Paradis, which would then force the world onto the negotiation table.

Even if they lost access to the rumbling following that, the forces required to mount an invasion of the island would still take years to recover, so that's the time they'd earn. Remember that the world is only just coming out of a large war, and that the Marleyan navy and leadership (victors of said war, and premier military power of the world) got annihilated.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DaveKap posted:

Like, gently caress, there's a reason this misinformation spreads so easily. Nobody wants to learn the actual reality because it takes too much effort.

Welcome to anything political or religious on the entire planet. Ask Christians about anything that's actually in the book their religion is based off of, for instance or ask anyone who votes basic civics questions.

I got into this argument with someone on social media as well, and I just asked them vaguely about a part of the manga and how that works with their argument and they were forced to admit "I haven't read this but..."

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Lmao at the lowkey racism of looking at a titan and being like "looks like a Jew to me!"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

In It For The Tank posted:

Lmao at the lowkey racism of looking at a titan and being like "looks like a Jew to me!"

Some of the titans do have the propaganda Jew art look. People would be intellectually dishonest and share only those particular titans to support their argument, which, if you haven't read it and seen that all the titans have exaggerated features - would further support their argument.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I think this is one of those situations where one is more sensitive to racist depictions of a group of historically oppressed people if one were a member of such a group. As a black male, I am hyper-aware of racist propaganda--art and literature--because, well, I am often the target of such bullshit. This sensitivity has become more genericized to all racist depictions, so my initial reaction upon seeing some of the exaggerated nose titans was, "Uh oh..."

It's less "lol I'm secretly racist" and more, "I have to be aware of the messages the media I am consuming are communicating." I had to give up Kengan Asura, despite enjoying it, due to a fairly hosed up, stereotypical, sex-crazed black character.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kassad posted:

They only need to do it once. If they lose access after it does not matter cause everyone will be scared off.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Not necessarily saying you're wrong but the armbands/concentrations camps portion is pretty much unmistakably meant to evoke Jews in WW2 Germany (especially with the world of AOT being around WW2 level of technology). *Then* you pair that with the exaggerated features of pure titans and it becomes a lot easier to understand how someone who hasn't actually read the manga could jump to premature conclusions about what kind of a statement is being made.

Doesn't really excuse the writing in that article in any way but I don't think most people went straight to 'pure titans are jewish caricatures' without first accepting the parallels between Marleyan Eldians and German Jews after the basement reveal.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Remember that when aot first blew up there were people saying it was anti western / pro Japanese imperialism cuz the titans were european looking and the main characters had someone with Japanese name with them.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I've always assumed the Titans' appearance were based on Norse trolls, whose features are similarly varied, weird, and exaggerated.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Viridiant posted:

I've always assumed the Titans' appearance were based on Norse trolls, whose features are similarly varied, weird, and exaggerated.

I assumed they were goofy rear end giants

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

I assumed they were goofy rear end giants
I have yet to see an Eli Manning titan, so that theory's out the door.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Titans are often drawn with grotesque features to enhance the horror of the story, it's really as simple as that. Maybe that results in some occasional overlap with racist caricatures of Jewish people, but to be honest I can't recall any particular Titan that looked much like a Jewish caricature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I never really saw the titans as being Semitic because they always just seemed to be grotesque caricatures of regular looking people.

Although I don't think Attack on Titan is guilty of it, the accusation reminds me of this Russian Civil War poster depicting Trotsky.