Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sean10mm posted:

I'm sure they feel terrible about that $2.7 billion worldwide gross.

I'm sure they don't but the fact that they are trying to grease the skids to beat a record held by their own company and falling short is like the definition of trying to manufacture a phenomenon. You'd think they'd be more happy with the billions of dollars, but apparently what's going on is that all the recieved wisdom about the juggernaut is blatantly just marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gatts posted:

This is just going to make James Cameron re release Avatar with a full on 2 hour post credits scene where someone in a Navi suit comes out and gives a handjob for extra immersive experience

They’ll 100% release Avatar right around the time the sequel comes out. They’ll definitely have a see the first then see the second deals.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Release Avatar 2 as a two-hour “trailer” exclusively before screenings of Avatar 1. Problem solved.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What if they made two versions of the film, with slightly different details? The plot is the same but say, the time heist has different characters going to different timelines. I think that would justify a second release. Just think, its like a movie that comes out pre-marketed.

I know you’re half joking but I unironically predict this will happen in our lifetimes. Avengers Fire Red and Avengers Leaf Green.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

What if they made two versions of the film, with slightly different details? The plot is the same but say, the time heist has different characters going to different timelines. I think that would justify a second release. Just think, its like a movie that comes out pre-marketed.

This reminds of that alternate cut of Anchorman 2 that was essentially the same movie, but every single joke was different. Is that a sequel? Remake?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Didn’t Coppola do that with one of his recent movies? Like one of two+ versions was screened depending on where and when you saw it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They should re-release Justice League. The Snyder cut of Justice League! :getin:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

thrawn527 posted:

This reminds of that alternate cut of Anchorman 2 that was essentially the same movie, but every single joke was different. Is that a sequel? Remake?

Or the bonus movie on Anchorman 1 that is entirely made up of cut scenes from the movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just want Disney to gently caress off. :cripes:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
This is like when Vince McMahon bought WCW, except with thunderous applause.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I just want Disney to gently caress off. :cripes:

We need Teddy Roosevelt more than ever

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LesterGroans posted:

I remember BvS having a 60-something percent drop-off in its second weekend getting a lot of play

I just checked a whole bunch of comicbook films and a whole bunch of recent blockbusters and a 50 to 60% second weekend drop off is pretty much average across the board these days. Anything much below 50% might indicate that it was a really popular movie that had great legs after a good opening (Black Panther: 44.7%, Wonder Woman: 43.3%, Spider-Man: 37.8%, Star Wars The Force Awakens: 39.8%) or it had a pretty soft opening and rallied after good word of mouth (Aquaman: 23.3%, Batman Begins: 43.4%) or it had a merely awful second week after a disastrous opening (Green Hornet: 47.3%)

Any second weekend drop off that was higher than 60% might indicate that it had an amazing first weekend and a merely very good second weekend (Star Wars The Last Jedi: 67.5%) or a not-so-good opening weekend with a pretty bad second week drop (Suicide Squad: 67.4%, X-Men Apocalypse: 65.3%) or a terrible opening weekend with a hilariously awful second weekend (Dark Phoenix: 71.5%, Fan4stic: 68.2%, Hellboy 2019: 67.2%)

BvS had a drop off of 69.1% after a good opening, MoS had a 64.6% drop off after an average opening, Justice League had an average drop off after a disappointing opening.

Like I said a day or so ago, comparing the second week drop off without looking at the wider context is usually completely meaningless.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Or the bonus movie on Anchorman 1 that is entirely made up of cut scenes from the movie.

or Twin Peaks: The Missing Pieces which is just cut scenes from Fire Walk with Me

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

I mean, the re-release obviously shouldn't count towards the record. Its its own thing. Otherwise theres no point to even having a record, the point of it is to be impressed at how much money something made in a short period of time.

Almost all the biggest releases of all time had multiple runs. It’s why the adjusted domestic totals on stuff like Star Wars and Gone With the Wind are untouchable, home media is too good now for a second run to make huge money

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

cargohills posted:

or Twin Peaks: The Missing Pieces which is just cut scenes from Fire Walk with Me

The Missing Pieces is REALLY good. Lynch famously can't stand DVD extras, insisted on doing that and it's pretty incredible.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Missing Pieces is REALLY good. Lynch famously can't stand DVD extras, insisted on doing that and it's pretty incredible.

Holy crap, I thought the Missing Pieces was just an extended cut or a deleted scenes collection, I didn't realize it was effectively a different movie. Gotta check this out now.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Jimbot posted:

They should re-release Justice League. The Snyder cut of Justice League! :getin:

:hellyeah:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Release the Snyder cut if Endgame

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Guy A. Person posted:

Holy crap, I thought the Missing Pieces was just an extended cut or a deleted scenes collection, I didn't realize it was effectively a different movie. Gotta check this out now.

It works because it's Lynch. I started watching it by accident, got completely caught up in it, then went "wait what the hell was that" and had to read a bunch of articles about it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Guy A. Person posted:

It doesn't have as clean a narrative as Fire Walk With Me, obviously, but it's Lynch so that doesn't matter. It's a fantastic companion piece.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Engame New Game Plus, with secret bonus ending if you go through the right hoops.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Equeen posted:

Still lolin' that Endgame was the #1 movie in America for only 2 or so weeks, and it was John Wick 3 of all movies that replaced it.

I love looking at stuff like that. Like, Titanic was finally beaten by Lost in Space, E.T. was briefly dethroned by a Friday the 13th film, Beavis lost to The Boss.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Engame New Game Plus, with secret bonus ending if you go through the right hoops.

There's 16 different endings depending on what point in the movie you beat Thanos.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Davros1 posted:

I love looking at stuff like that. Like, Titanic was finally beaten by Lost in Space, E.T. was briefly dethroned by a Friday the 13th film, Beavis lost to The Boss.
Black Panther was dethroned by Pacific Rim Uprising after 5 weekends at #1 :v:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Black Panther was dethroned by Pacific Rim Uprising after 5 weekends at #1 :v:

Oof

edit: Heh, Fellowship of the Ring dropped from 1 after several weeks, to 3. Behind Black Hawk Down (not bad), and Snow Dogs

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 19, 2019

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jimbot posted:

:hmmyes:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ubik_Lives posted:

Unless your point was that Quasi and Horrible have similar starting views, only Quasi has a growth arc and gets a hero’s parade, while Horrible has a negative arc and ends off worse than he started.

Yeah, Quasi ends up putting Esmeralda's hand in his romantic rivals hand after realizing her agency, Horrible ends up being responsible for his romantic interest's death.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Frollo is a boring character but Hellfire is a really loving good song and Tony Jay shits on Jeremy Irons and... whoever voiced Gaston

Frollo is great - he perfectly encompasses the Right's obsession with Cortez. And yeah, Tony Jay singing in a kid's movie about how he's so horny that if he can't have a woman she's going to hell trumps almost everything (although I do enjoy Mother Knows Best for its excellent lyricism as well as a Disney song).

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The best part of The Missing Pieces is the insane, They Live-style fight scene between Chris Isaak and some goon.

It would totally disrupt the overall vibe of Fire Walk with Me, so I can see why they cut it. But it’s hilarious.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Blast Fantasto posted:

The best part of The Missing Pieces is the insane, They Live-style fight scene between Chris Isaak and some goon.

It would totally disrupt the overall vibe of Fire Walk with Me, so I can see why they cut it. But it’s hilarious.

That's the part where I really got engrossed in it, it hits the specific thing about Deer Meadow being a crappy version of Twin Peaks where nothing works like it ought to in the funniest way possible. Great Wild At Heart vibes.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Grendels Dad posted:

Disney cartoon movie villain song power ranking:

1. Be Prepared
2. Gaston
3. Shiny
4. Trust in me
5. Hellfire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP8QdFttugg

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

It's really funny because any other movie, literally any other movie, you'd be hearing about a 85% dropoff from the first week, about how that spells the end for so and so, about how that means its a bad movie and they need to do something different. Yet here it's like "it deserves to be the biggest movie of all time".

I thought it had something like a 59% dropoff week 2? Though tbh I was avoiding any mention of Endgame like the plague at the time since I hadn't seen it yet, so I could be misremembering.

Anyway my guess is that this move is designed to build hype for FFH primarily. Possibly also to fill some of the void left behind by Dark Phoenix being such a turd. I'm sure Disney will be thrilled to eclipse Avatars BO this year just so they can retake it with the Avatar rerelease next year, of course.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

It's really funny because any other movie, literally any other movie, you'd be hearing about a 85% dropoff from the first week, about how that spells the end for so and so, about how that means its a bad movie and they need to do something different.

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I thought it had something like a 59% dropoff week 2? Though tbh I was avoiding any mention of Endgame like the plague at the time since I hadn't seen it yet, so I could be misremembering.
Yep, and it made over $1.2 billion worldwide on its opening weekend (which broke the previous record by about $600m) and over a third of a billion domestic (which broke the previous record by about $100m) and it fell only $2m short from setting a new record for the biggest second weekend. It would have been real dumb for anyone to argue that it was starting to struggle regardless of how much it dropped.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
They want more money. It's not too hard to figure out.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spun Dog posted:

They want more money. It's not too hard to figure out.

Bob Iger's retiring after his contract ends in 2021, so he wants to maximize his bonuses. Simple as that.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Frank Miller is here to get superman back on track!

Highlights:

-Clark joins the Navy SEALs

"Miller describes Kent's enlisting in the military as a natural progression in the character's development"

-This version of Superman, or more aptly Clark Kent, is not mild-mannered, at all. He is straining at the restrictions of his passive Kent upbringing. Miller describes him as being every kid in high school. The kid who sits quietly, secretly wanting to show people what he could really do, if only given the chance.

"Recent comic fans will tell you that Superman with an edge is the new norm."

"This Kent wants to kick rear end and take names. He is frustrated and wants others to acknowledge his superior abilities and strengths. He is also not above exposing his powers to win the favors of several love interests."

"From high school to boot camp, this Clark Kent is a barely contained showoff. He wins the football game by dragging several players across the field. He has a perfect sharp-shooter score in basic training and holds the lead position in his SEAL training class."

"Despite rumors to the contrary, author Miller says he does not dislike the Man of Steel.

“Superman is the first superhero I fell in love with when I was 5 years old,” he said. "I like Superman. Batman doesn’t like Superman.”"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts...mate-immigrant/

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
“I love Superman. So I’m going to interpret him in a way completely antithetical to everything he is and represents to satisfy my delusional fantasies, worldviews and conservative insecurities.”

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

What if superman was a school shooter?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Superman would build a gun that shot schools into underserved communities

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

thrawn527 posted:

Oh gently caress you.