Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

alphabettitouretti posted:

Yeah the ending is bonkers fun. Found footage movies often have a fairly low key endings and go for the blair witch standing in a corner or rec dragged off screen thing, I have time for anything that just goes bananas in the last act. See also: The Last Exorcism, Taking of Deborah Logan.

I was feeling some light fluffy horror so I watched this this morning and holy poo poo was that a fun little flick. You said the last act was bonkers but I really, really didn't expect it to go as far as it did.

I also thought I'd be tired of the ignorant Americans being loud and loving around in another country trope, but I actually liking the three main characters a lot by the end of the film.

Especially Alex. The line when the witch asks him if he doesn't want to be her director and he's just like "Oh, uh, nah, it's cool. I got it" made me laugh my rear end off.

Highly, highly recommend for a little popcorn style movie that isn't going to take much out of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm gonna throw out there, Ari Aster seems like kind of an insufferable douche and the hype is making me really think Midsommar actually ain't poo poo.

The Lighthouse looks rad, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Basebf555 posted:

Honestly the only thing I didn't love about The Witch was the dour aesthetic, so Midsommar has a chance at being my favorite horror movie of the year.

I didn't love the ending. I get what they were going for but it makes it possible, even easy, to read the entire film as everyone was right to treat her like poo poo cuz she's a bad and women's sexuality is bad.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm gonna throw out there, Ari Aster seems like kind of an insufferable douche and the hype is making me really think Midsommar actually ain't poo poo.

The Lighthouse looks rad, though.

Im with you my man. Hereditary was good, not great imo.

The Lighthouse looks dope i loving love R Pat

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, I wasn't a huge fan of Hereditary as a whole film and some of the stuff folks are saying about the script has me dubious.

I'll probably catch it when it comes out on streaming, but I don't think I'm going to see it in theaters.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
If the writer/director being an insufferable douche kept me away from their work I'd be seeing a hell of a lot less movies.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
well specifically there was a lot of stuff around Hereditary about him actually really not liking horror and thinking it's a trash genre for babies and that he's the only ~REAL~ horror director

and you know what, he can think that all he wants, but as someone who generally likes horror movies that just makes me think his head's lodged pretty far up his rear end and makes me not want to see his takes on the genre (plus, from what I'm aware, Hereditary leans really hard on parental abuse as a source of horror and that's genuinely triggering as gently caress to me to such a degree that I already know I would not have a good time)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kvlt! posted:

Im with you my man. Hereditary was good, not great imo.

The Lighthouse looks dope i loving love R Pat

P much. Midsommar also makes me feel pandered to, wicker man worship is such a thing right now and it seems like a particularly weird subject for a middle class New Yorker

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I loving wish I felt pandered to. If stuff like Midsommar is me being pandered to then gently caress yea, pander to me.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

well specifically there was a lot of stuff around Hereditary about him actually really not liking horror and thinking it's a trash genre for babies and that he's the only ~REAL~ horror director

and you know what, he can think that all he wants, but as someone who generally likes horror movies that just makes me think his head's lodged pretty far up his rear end and makes me not want to see his takes on the genre (plus, from what I'm aware, Hereditary leans really hard on parental abuse as a source of horror and that's genuinely triggering as gently caress to me to such a degree that I already know I would not have a good time)

So you haven't seen the movie?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

I loving wish I felt pandered to. If stuff like Midsommar is me being pandered to then gently caress yea, pander to me.

I don’t like being spoon fed what I think I want tbh

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

New Paranormal Activity announced https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1076799-new-paranormal-activity-movie-in-development-at-paramount

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

I don’t like being spoon fed what I think I want tbh

When poo poo like this:

is the alternative, yea I think I'd rather they just give me the movies I think I want.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Stupid sounding PA sequels and ripoffs have at least as good a track record as New Modern Faces of Horror paradigm shift bullshit

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

P much. Midsommar also makes me feel pandered to, wicker man worship is such a thing right now and it seems like a particularly weird subject for a middle class New Yorker

This seems like a strange complaint against a movie 1) about middle class New Yorker types going on a dream European backpacking vacation stumbling into unspeakable horrors, 2) that you haven't loving seen yet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There were some people saying some similar things(it's pandering to a specific type of horror nerd) about The Love Witch and I loved that movie too. I'm a man of simple taste I suppose.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Like you just posted, if getting a new, unique good-looking film that is inspired by older films that are obscure to 90% of film audiences that I enjoy, gently caress yeah, pander to me, I'm your little film bitch.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I hate when filmmakers try to make films their audiences would enjoy

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

ThePagey posted:

I was feeling some light fluffy horror so I watched this this morning and holy poo poo was that a fun little flick. You said the last act was bonkers but I really, really didn't expect it to go as far as it did.

I also thought I'd be tired of the ignorant Americans being loud and loving around in another country trope, but I actually liking the three main characters a lot by the end of the film.

Especially Alex. The line when the witch asks him if he doesn't want to be her director and he's just like "Oh, uh, nah, it's cool. I got it" made me laugh my rear end off.

Highly, highly recommend for a little popcorn style movie that isn't going to take much out of you.

That's interesting, because I really disliked Sarah. Anytime she got yelled at by Kate, it seemed warranted and moronically and for no reason yelling witch after the locals had calmed down and were having a good time just made me dislike her. But yeah, Alex kind of ruled.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

gey muckle mowser posted:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

DeimosRising posted:

lol what

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

This seems like a strange complaint against a movie 1) about middle class New Yorker types going on a dream European backpacking vacation stumbling into unspeakable horrors, 2) that you haven't loving seen yet.

I hope you enjoy the movie. Like Kvlt, I thought hereditary was just pretty good and like Hundu I think this kind of marketing is annoying

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't really mind stuff like this so long as their output is worth my time. If they wanna think they're some Grand Poobah of their profession, sure, fine, whatever. There are plenty of nice diners and restaurants I eat at where the proprietors and clientele are food snobs. I'll eat their food today, and then tomorrow I'll still eat trashy food somewhere else, and then I'll be fat and happy.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm gonna have to rewatch The Love Witch, I have a feeling it's going to be one of those movies I didn't care for at the time because of some arbitrary hang-up I had when I saw it but that I'll love on a repeat viewing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't love the ending. I get what they were going for but it makes it possible, even easy, to read the entire film as everyone was right to treat her like poo poo cuz she's a bad and women's sexuality is bad.

Black Tom ruled, I wish there were more sassy goats in movies

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

DeimosRising posted:

I hope you enjoy the movie. Like Kvlt, I thought hereditary was just pretty good and like Hundu I think this kind of marketing is annoying

Sorry, what kind of marketing are you referring to? The only official marketing I've seen is some previews in theaters and some posters. Do you mean the people that saw it and tweeted about it?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Love Witch is one of my fav movies but it's def a fantasy movie with maybe mild horror elements I feel if you go in expecting a horror movie you'll be dissapointed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

I'm gonna have to rewatch The Love Witch, I have a feeling it's going to be one of those movies I didn't care for at the time because of some arbitrary hang-up I had when I saw it but that I'll love on a repeat viewing.

Well like I said before, I'm a man of simple taste and if a movie gives me costumes/sets like this:

I'm gonna love it regardless of anything else going on.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

It doesn't make me want to see the movies they do at all but I just find the way they have it down to a science now fascinating.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

Black Tom ruled, I wish there were more sassy goats in movies

Black Phillip :argh:

gey muckle mowser posted:

Same but unironically

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I’m so much of a poser that I can’t tell when directors are pandering to me.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It doesn't make me want to see the movies they do at all but I just find the way they have it down to a science now fascinating.

The pure, mechanical efficiency of it is startling.

Null of Undefined posted:

Sorry, what kind of marketing are you referring to? The only official marketing I've seen is some previews in theaters and some posters. Do you mean the people that saw it and tweeted about it?

Reviews/tweets are 100% a kind of marketing

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Snack Bitch posted:

I’m so much of a poser that I can’t tell when directors are pandering to me.

When I was a kid I was in the back seat of the family car when we got into an accident. Nothing major, just shaken up in the end. I still spent a few hours in the hospital to get checked up and to make sure my brain wasn't melting. While the family was trying to rally up and all get together I was taken to my grandparents' house to rest for the remainder of the day. My grandmother was insistent on following the doctor's orders to make sure I had plenty of fluids, a cool room to rest in, no TV, and absolutely no fatty foods. As soon as she rattled off these requirements my grandfather burst through the front door with a Bigfoot pizza from Pizza Hut.

If the advertising for a movie doesn't make me feel as happy as I was in that moment as a child who just wanted to eat pizza and feel better, then I don't feel properly pandered to.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Reviews/tweets are 100% a kind of marketing

Especially the kind that are like "I saw it first, I'm one of a select handful to see it first. I can't say anything at all about it, but let me say this: BUY. A. TICKET."

It's so prevalent when you notice it, it sticks out immediately every time I see it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Especially the kind that are like "I saw it first, I'm one of a select handful to see it first. I can't say anything at all about it, but let me say this: BUY. A. TICKET."

It's so prevalent when you notice it, it sticks out immediately every time I see it.

That’s why I pretty much only trust my list of goons whose taste I trust and what the owner of my indie theater recommends to me. I usually only see trailers posted on SA or that I see in the theater or during sporting events. Everything else is white noise.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DLC Inc posted:

tbh the last time something was hyped this much for me was Hereditary and I felt like it met my lofty expectations. I don't doubt that the guy who made The VVItch made an excellent movie.

I agree with Hereditary, I loved it and it definitely fit the hype it got but part of me knows if I go in too excited I'm bound to be disappointed somehow; it happened to me with Us. I'm sure it'll be just as good but the whole "greatest thing in horror since sliced bread"-esque praise seems too good to be true.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Do you mean worship as in people talking about how good the movie is or do you mean that they are literally worshipping a wicker man?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
FWIW I really enjoyed Hereditary.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

FWIW I really enjoyed Hereditary.

That dad loving short he made is a trip as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Adlai Stevenson posted:

As soon as she rattled off these requirements my grandfather burst through the front door with a Bigfoot pizza from Pizza Hut.

Please tell me it was Kool-Aid Man style, because that's how I'm picturing it.