Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

e.pilot posted:

How about we fix the flight medical system and make seeing someone for mental health not so stigmatized? That’d be more realistic.

Yep.

Tell a pilot with severe depression "by the way, if you report this to your flight surgeon you're gonna almost certainly be instantly grounded, and then we'll require you to spend several months going to tons of doctors to determine whether you've nuked your career permanently or just temporarily -- oh, and even if you do find some medication that fixes you, if it's not one of these three approved drugs you're still gonna be grounded as long as you keep taking them, which may be the rest of your life"

and see how many pilots are interested in seeking treatment for mental health issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I know the reason against something like this would be $$$ and "what if it goes wrong," but it'd be nice given the recent spate of "depressurization as a tool for crazy/depressed pilots" if they'd put in a logic gate that only allows the plane to be depressurized after being pressurized once weight is reapplied to the landing gear after landing.

Thoughts?

The specifics vary somewhat between aircraft, but there's generally some way for pilots to take manual control of a cabin outflow valve, and there are emergency checklists (usually related to smoke/fumes in the cabin or a failed pressurization controller) that require the crew to either modulate the valve or completely dump the cabin pressure, so removing that option poses a lot of problems.

Also, most modern airplanes are designed to have equalized the cabin pressure shortly before landing, since dumping the cabin pressure on the ground creates an uncomfortable pressure "bump" for the passengers.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

e.pilot posted:

Then you just manually over pressurize the plane to cause a structural failure. How about we fix the flight medical system and make seeing someone for mental health not so stigmatized? That’d be more realistic.

What we really need imo is more good guys with cabin pressure controllers.

That sounds really hard. Have we considered a knee-jerk or bandaid solution that will make me look good until after the next election?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

at 40,000 feet you have 20% of the oxygen available at sea level. keep in mind that above 26,000 feet is an area called the "death zone" in mountaineering where your body can no longer acclimatize and without supplemental oxygen you will gradually die.

At 26,000 ft or 40,000 ft the atmosphere is still 21% oxygen, except the total atmospheric pressure is much lower. Above 26,000 ft it is called the Death Zone because the atmospheric pressure is so low, even if you were breathing 100% oxygen, the oxygen partial pressure (Atmospheric pressure * Percent Oxygen) is too low and you will be still be hypoxic.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Um no, time of useful consciousness goes a lot higher than 12k, like a lot higher.

12km, 40k feet, the altitude in the article

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

CarForumPoster posted:

I'm really curious what the Malaysian and Indonesian military radars saw because L-O-L at having a giant rear end plane with no IFF and no radio contact straight up overfly/nearly into the air space of your county without doing poo poo about it.

Honestly, an airplane with no transponder could be trucking through the majority of the high airspace in the US and ATC would probably never notice it unless another airplane questioned them about it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

INTJ Mastermind posted:

At 26,000 ft or 40,000 ft the atmosphere is still 21% oxygen, except the total atmospheric pressure is much lower. Above 26,000 ft it is called the Death Zone because the atmospheric pressure is so low, even if you were breathing 100% oxygen, the oxygen partial pressure (Atmospheric pressure * Percent Oxygen) is too low and you will be still be hypoxic.

That's not exactly accurate, 26kft is where you can't adapt without oxygen and will die no matter how well you're conditioned. If you had a constant supply of O2, i.e. more than a mountain climber can carry, you could survive more or less indefinitely at that pressure altitude (barring longer term physiological effects of the pressure difference).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I know the reason against something like this would be $$$ and "what if it goes wrong," but it'd be nice given the recent spate of "depressurization as a tool for crazy/depressed pilots" if they'd put in a logic gate that only allows the plane to be depressurized after being pressurized once weight is reapplied to the landing gear after landing.

It certainly wouldn't stop another Germanwings-type incident where the nutjob in question doesn't care about hearing the screams behind him, and I could see it delaying some flights if/when it malfunctions and the plane has to be manually depressurized on the ground...

Thoughts?

Or add another few thousand lines of code to the satellite tracking systems mentioned in that article so that when a plane undergoes depressurization at altitude it constantly broadcasts an automated distress call until someone's forced to investigate.

I think airplane manufacturers might be wary of any system that the pilot can't directly control/override in light of recent events. In any case there's no technological solution, besides fully autonomous aircraft.

There are a lot of fields out there where you avoid seeing mental health professionals at all costs, and there are definitely cases where SSRIs cause mental "breaks" and paradoxical effects that can aggravate the condition, which is the worry and the reason for some of the backwards regulations on flying while taking them. It's sad, and it requires a full culture shift, where pilots are encouraged to spend (paid) time on the beach to get their heads/meds right. The Western world is kinda slowly shifting to realizing that mental health is not something you can just take a concrete pill for and "harden-up" and manly-man your way through, but we're still not there, and I imagine it'll take even longer for less progressive cultures to realise this.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That's not exactly accurate, 26kft is where you can't adapt without oxygen and will die no matter how well you're conditioned. If you had a constant supply of O2, i.e. more than a mountain climber can carry, you could survive more or less indefinitely at that pressure altitude (barring longer term physiological effects of the pressure difference).

Well it seems you are correct. A simple face mask is only good up to 25,000 ft, but there are more sophisticated oxygen delivery systems with better seals and pressurization that are good to above 40,000 ft.

Either way, if the cabin depressurizes at cruising altitude, the dinky yellow masks aren’t going to keep the passengers alive too long, even if the oxygen didn’t run out first.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

evil_bunnY posted:

12km, 40k feet, the altitude in the article

Nobody outside of China uses meters for altitude, that’s dumb.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

somewhere right around 40k is the point where even breathing 100% oxygen at ambient pressure still isn't enough and you'll pass out and die without a pressurized supply.

at ~62k all your non-blood body fluids start boiling unless you're in a pressure suit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Either way, if the cabin depressurizes at cruising altitude, the dinky yellow masks aren’t going to keep the passengers alive too long, even if the oxygen didn’t run out first.

The dinky yellow masks are designed only to keep the passengers alive (and not necessarily conscious) for the couple of minutes it takes to do an emergency descent to <12,000 feet.

shame on an IGA posted:

at ~62k all your non-blood body fluids start boiling unless you're in a pressure suit

not really. if you mean "sweat and tears" then sure i guess they'll evaporate more quickly in the low pressure but a bigger problem is that at 62,000 feet it's 56 degrees below zero so you'll freeze.

your cerebrospinal fluid, stomach contents, urine, and other internal bodily fluids don't boil in low pressure environments. that's just the movies

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 19, 2019

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

NightGyr posted:

The Atlantic just published an enormous article breaking down what we know for sure about MH370 and the conclusion that no one is willing to admit: it was a pilot suicide

Written by William Langewiesche no less. Son of Wolfgang.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Nobody outside of China uses meters for altitude, that’s dumb.
It's my b, i walk up mountains for fun, I don't fly planes.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

WHIO posted:

MIAMI VALLEY — A bright, white dot spotted in the sky by numerous News Center 7 viewers has raised questions about what the object might be.
Some have speculated on whether the object was a weather balloon launched by the National Weather Service in Wilmington, however forecasters there debunked that theory.

"We have no idea what it is," the National Weather Service said.

Others have wondered if the object is part of something being done by Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, however a base spokesperson said they are unaware of what the object may be.

Some people have told News Center 7 they believe the object was a Loon balloon, which is launched by the company Loon, a subsidiary of Google’s parent company Alphabet.

“I checked in with our flight team, and this wasn't one of our balloons,” said Scott Coriell with Loon. “We fly balloons worldwide, including over most parts of the US, but at the time of your sightings we didn't have any in the region.”

Coriell said based on the photo, he does believe it is a balloon of some sort and could be another company that launched one in the area.

World View Enterprises, which also launches balloons, also said it was not its balloon, according to spokesman Andrew Antonio.

Sightings of the unidentified object were reported Tuesday to News Center 7 from viewers in Xenia, Englewood, West Milton, West Carrollton and Eaton.

https://www.whio.com/news/local/bright-white-dot-sky-raises-questions/DlyLXb9uzsVojcRMcdaZmO/

Although despite the claims, there does appear to have been a Loon balloon in roughly that area at roughly that time of day:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n260th#20efb331

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Elviscat posted:

I think airplane manufacturers might be wary of any system that the pilot can't directly control/override in light of recent events. In any case there's no technological solution, besides fully autonomous aircraft.

There are a lot of fields out there where you avoid seeing mental health professionals at all costs, and there are definitely cases where SSRIs cause mental "breaks" and paradoxical effects that can aggravate the condition, which is the worry and the reason for some of the backwards regulations on flying while taking them. It's sad, and it requires a full culture shift, where pilots are encouraged to spend (paid) time on the beach to get their heads/meds right. The Western world is kinda slowly shifting to realizing that mental health is not something you can just take a concrete pill for and "harden-up" and manly-man your way through, but we're still not there, and I imagine it'll take even longer for less progressive cultures to realise this.

On this note:
Pilot bros, you can totally go talk to a therapist and it’s not reportable to an AME. The only time it becomes reportable is if you’re diagnosed with something. Lay out the ground rules with your therapist before hand that you can’t be prescribed or diagnosed with anything because your livelihood depends on it. Therapists are great people and will typically help to whatever extent they can. Get some healthy coping mechanisms and tools before your mental health irreparably crumbles.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Well now I'm picturing a really long hose and a fairly miserable experiment

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Just to be clear the Atlantic article is saying that the captain must’ve ordered the FO out of the cockpit leaving the captain alone so he could start ripping apart the fuse panel or whatever, right? That means that it couldn’t happen on an airline that requires 2 people in the cockpit at all times?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TTerrible posted:

This is such an unbelievably frustrating read. What the gently caress, Malaysia.

They're racking up a dismal score as leader in pilot suicides. And you can tell by the tone of the article that they weren't held in very high regard as investigators before MH370 either.

e:

e.pilot posted:

Welcome to overflying islands in the pacific where ATC is made up and airspace doesn’t matter.

Not a drat THING :v:

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 19, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Silk air and Egypt air crashes also had authorities stonewalling didn’t they? The egyptair crash was in American waters though but Egypt started stonewalling the NTSB.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

The Silk air and Egypt air crashes also had authorities stonewalling didn’t they? The egyptair crash was in American waters though but Egypt started stonewalling the NTSB.

Yeah there were massive cultural inertias to overcome in those instances too, but going on some of the Malaysian crashes in recent years, you could see clearly a pattern of "investigating to avoid blame" rather than "investigating to find the truth".

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

holocaust bloopers posted:

When I did the chamber in aircrew school, I was functional for about 60 seconds at FL 320. You go stupid fast and without drama.

Smarter Every Day video on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUfF2MTnqAw

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

Just to be clear the Atlantic article is saying that the captain must’ve ordered the FO out of the cockpit leaving the captain alone so he could start ripping apart the fuse panel or whatever, right? That means that it couldn’t happen on an airline that requires 2 people in the cockpit at all times?

Would the FO know how to get into avionics and cut power to the cockpit door lock?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Jealous Cow posted:

Would the FO know how to get into avionics and cut power to the cockpit door lock?

There’s no way to access the cockpit from the cabin, even the little keypad has a 15 second delay before it unlocks that can be denied.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

He had 30s of useful consciousness according to that chart and less when the climb started.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

e.pilot posted:

There’s no way to access the cockpit from the cabin, even the little keypad has a 15 second delay before it unlocks that can be denied.

Since Germanwings, it seems like there's a rule that there are always two people in the cockpit - I always see a flight attendant go in when a pilot goes to the bathroom. And they barricade the aisle with the drinks cart while the door is open. I assume that's a policy that would prevent this sort of thing.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

NightGyr posted:

Since Germanwings, it seems like there's a rule that there are always two people in the cockpit - I always see a flight attendant go in when a pilot goes to the bathroom. And they barricade the aisle with the drinks cart while the door is open. I assume that's a policy that would prevent this sort of thing.

Yep, US carriers were doing it long before the Germanwings incident.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NightGyr posted:

US carriers started that after 9/11.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

hobbesmaster posted:

US carriers started that after 9/11.

Apparently the Germans got rid of it again :
https://www.thelocal.de/20170428/german-airlines-to-overturn-two-person-cockpit-rule-two-years-after-germanwings-crash

And so did Canada:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/transport-canada-two-flight-crew-cockpit-1.4164592

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

fknlo posted:

Honestly, an airplane with no transponder could be trucking through the majority of the high airspace in the US and ATC would probably never notice it unless another airplane questioned them about it.

No transponder, sure. Transmitters break.

But if the plane suddenly goes dark on secondary radar then makes a sweeping 180 degree turn over Omaha. ATC is going to expect them to maintain radio contact or send someone up to "help" them.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Well in Canada's defense we almost caused a rerun of the Tenerife accident at San Fransisco, and their were like two guys in the cockpit then :smug:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

CarForumPoster posted:

No transponder, sure. Transmitters break.

But if the plane suddenly goes dark on secondary radar then makes a sweeping 180 degree turn over Omaha. ATC is going to expect them to maintain radio contact or send someone up to "help" them.

You'd be amazed at the kind of poo poo that gets missed. Like someone accidentally removing all the info for a flight they're not actually working and then having that mode C intruder fly for hundreds of miles across multiple sectors before anyone notices it.

e: We also don't generally show primary returns if you're working airspace that's entirely in the flight levels. If they turned off their transponder it would go into a coast status that the controller would probably notice somewhat quickly, but by the time anyone thought to flip on primaries you wouldn't be able to keep up without pulling the tapes.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 20, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's surprisingly easy to lose track of an airplane on radar if you're busy.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Godholio posted:

It's surprisingly easy to lose track of an airplane on radar if you're busy.

Sure, if you have a problem with the idea of object permanence.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Carth Dookie posted:

Sure, if you have a problem with the idea of object permanence.

If you turned 99% of controllers away from their scope at any given moment and asked them to name 1 aircraft that's on it they would struggle to do it. One tag disappearing while you're not looking at is insanely easy to miss. At the right time it could easily take several minutes before you noticed the track was coasting.

I can't even tell you how many times someone has said something on my frequency and I have no idea who it is or where they are and I pull them up on our secondary screen and it's some rear end in a top hat in the middle of my sector. This is a common occurrence for pretty much everyone.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

My dad was an air traffic controller for 30+ years and I nearly joined myself, so I'm well aware of all that, I was just razzing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That MH370-article was amazing. But there's no other evidence for depressurization other than circumstance, right? Hard to argue for any other scenario of course.

Also, I wonder if the F/O just had his phone left on by routine or if he tried calling. I.e. was it "a single brief connection" at that point, but there were similar connections earlier in the flight and all the time when he was flying normally, or if he switched it on there and then as a desperate attempt to make contact.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It doesn’t help that our automation provides next to no automatic queuing for unexpected conditions, and is generally a human factors nightmare.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Is this the thread for general plane chat? I finally get to fly on the upper deck of a 747 and I am excited :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ola posted:

That MH370-article was amazing. But there's no other evidence for depressurization other than circumstance, right? Hard to argue for any other scenario of course.

Also, I wonder if the F/O just had his phone left on by routine or if he tried calling. I.e. was it "a single brief connection" at that point, but there were similar connections earlier in the flight and all the time when he was flying normally, or if he switched it on there and then as a desperate attempt to make contact.

Reading between the lines he left his cell radio on, it was a weak attempt to join the tower that then failed. It probably didn’t get a bearer for data or would’ve been able to make calls at that altitude. Because of the disappearance they scoured the logs and found that connection attempt.

Attempts to communicate with the ground would’ve been done via sat phone.