Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Adlai Stevenson posted:

When I was a kid I was in the back seat of the family car when we got into an accident. Nothing major, just shaken up in the end. I still spent a few hours in the hospital to get checked up and to make sure my brain wasn't melting. While the family was trying to rally up and all get together I was taken to my grandparents' house to rest for the remainder of the day. My grandmother was insistent on following the doctor's orders to make sure I had plenty of fluids, a cool room to rest in, no TV, and absolutely no fatty foods. As soon as she rattled off these requirements my grandfather burst through the front door with a Bigfoot pizza from Pizza Hut.

If the advertising for a movie doesn't make me feel as happy as I was in that moment as a child who just wanted to eat pizza and feel better, then I don't feel properly pandered to.

Exactly, except the pizza needs to eat Grandma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

tbh I don't pay attention to the "this is the greatest horror movie ever" spiel since nothing ever has eclipsed Carpenter's The Thing for me

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Iron Crowned posted:

Black Tom ruled, I wish there were more sassy goats in movies

It's Black Phillip you poser.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This "debate" has left me more baffled than I really know possible responses to, so I'll just emptyquote this post that made me laugh because that's all I can actually comprehend right now

gey muckle mowser posted:

I hate when filmmakers try to make films their audiences would enjoy

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Adlai Stevenson posted:

When I was a kid I was in the back seat of the family car when we got into an accident. Nothing major, just shaken up in the end. I still spent a few hours in the hospital to get checked up and to make sure my brain wasn't melting. While the family was trying to rally up and all get together I was taken to my grandparents' house to rest for the remainder of the day. My grandmother was insistent on following the doctor's orders to make sure I had plenty of fluids, a cool room to rest in, no TV, and absolutely no fatty foods. As soon as she rattled off these requirements my grandfather burst through the front door with a Bigfoot pizza from Pizza Hut.

If the advertising for a movie doesn't make me feel as happy as I was in that moment as a child who just wanted to eat pizza and feel better, then I don't feel properly pandered to.

Okay, this gave me the emotional misty eyed snifflies.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

DeimosRising posted:

Reviews/tweets are 100% a kind of marketing

This is what made me one of ~40 people to see Gotti in theaters.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm pretty excited for Midsommar because of how much I enjoyed Hereditary. I also completely agree with Hundu on the marketing feeling forced/mechanical.

The tweet marketing is an awful trend that reminds of poo poo like Devin Faraci's style of movie reviewing/hyping.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The best form of horror marketing is to say people passed out or vomited in the screening.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

The best form of horror marketing is to say people passed out or vomited in the screening.

:hmmyes:

Giving each audience member their own vomit bag is real marketing

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I still kinda love the cheesiness of advertising campaigns using nightvision footage of audiences freaking the gently caress out in a movie theater. It's fun.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I feel like a guy who made two horror movies in two years probably does in fact enjoy horror movies

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I feel like a guy who made two horror movies in two years probably does in fact enjoy horror movies

And even if he does hate it so much, by all accounts he's made two of the best horror films all decade in his first two efforts, so I hope he keeps up the hate because it's working out very very well for us!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

:hmmyes:

Giving each audience member their own vomit bag is real marketing

I went to a screening of Raw where they said they were going to hand out special barf bags for the movie, but the barf bag was just a brown paper lunch bag with the movie title written in sharpie on it (I still have it tho).

I do have barf bags for Dr Butcher (it came with the bluray) and Cutthroats Nine (given out at a screening at the New Beverly Cinema).

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

There’s some skepticism among some horror fans for movies that feel too arthousey I think.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Drunkboxer posted:

Do you mean worship as in people talking about how good the movie is or do you mean that they are literally worshipping a wicker man?

I wish the latter but in metal/punk circles the term “worship” is used for when an artist releases something that is openly a riff on some classic work or artist, like “it’s a good album but it’s just straight Death worship”

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Trailer: *Comes out*
Horror Fans: Wow that looks good
Reviewers: It was good
Horror Fans: wtf I hate it now?

y'all can be pessimistic but I'm really looking forward to it, and Hereditary is definitely in my top 5.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'm willing to slum it in the dregs of horror although I'm nowhere NEAR as knowledgeable as like three dozen of you guys, but yeah...Hereditary was my favorite horror movie in years. Probably since Pulse, and that was way back in 2001. (Depends on how you classify Under the Skin, though.)

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Iron Crowned posted:

Please tell me it was Kool-Aid Man style, because that's how I'm picturing it.

I'm not here to spoil your fantasies

Drunkboxer posted:

There’s some skepticism among some horror fans for movies that feel too arthousey I think.

I'm pretty omnivorous horror-wise. There are a few alleyways I don't like to wander down too often (heavy gore is touch and go depending on the body parts involved, for example) but for the most part I'm down for whatever. Between the last two challenge threads I've seen some pretty great artsy films and some I was let down by; same with the more "traditional" low-grade fare. Some of it was good and some wasn't. Still tried it all though.

I feel bad for people who have taste

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Criminal Minded posted:

I'm willing to slum it in the dregs of horror although I'm nowhere NEAR as knowledgeable as like three dozen of you guys, but yeah...Hereditary was my favorite horror movie in years. Probably since Pulse, and that was way back in 2001. (Depends on how you classify Under the Skin, though.)

Where "favourite horror movie" is concerned, it manages one out of three at least.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I like gore fests, I like giallo, I like mood pieces, I like visual dreamscapes, I like internal horror, I like quiet dread, I like punk rock madness, I like creeping paranoia, I like body horror, I like metaphors, I like visceral violence.

What I don't like are movies that think they're funny when they're not.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Hereditary was very funny though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm not singling any movie out I'm just saying things I like.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

As others have said, this is loving baffling. There's a lot of good horror and there's a lot of Great horror, it's spread out in various different sections, and it's better that way

I would have never gotten into some of my favorite films of the decade like A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night if I stuck to American-only poo poo,
I would have never dug the hell out of stuff like Neon Demon if I only paid attention to mainstream poo poo that was lucky enough to show up at my local theater,
I absolutely would have never had my fav film become Annihilation if I didn't give chances to stuff that looked odd and had just one name I was at all familiar with,
and I certainly would have never had the 2018 Suspiria be added to my fav films list if I stuck to the opinion the previous decade gave me good reason to temporarily have that horror remakes sucked a lot of the time

This is my fav genre, I'm glad there's no one way to define horror, and I'm very glad people have generally grown beyond the need to only make slashers or poo poo laced with jump spooks when they're asked to come up with a horror film. There's a place for that, there's good and great examples of that, but there's more that can be done than that

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Kvlt! posted:

The Love Witch is one of my fav movies but it's def a fantasy movie with maybe mild horror elements I feel if you go in expecting a horror movie you'll be dissapointed.

Yeah, I think I went in expecting a parody of like a Jess Franco movie or something and I was waiting for some really hosed-up gore and excessive nudity, but I only got the latter (kinda). It was less "bad" than it was disappointing, yeah.

The Editor was more like the movie I expected The Love Witch to be, but I think it went too far with the parody aspect until it was almost a "______ Movie"... movie. Like they threw in the blind woman and her dog from The Beyond and she does nothing but stand around being a reference.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
What's some low-budget, sleazy, camp horror or horror-adjacent stuff that will scratch my itch for Troma/John Waters/Rocky Horror? For comparison's sake, a friend told me about "Attack of the Adult Babies" which I might just watch based off the name alone, which has never failed me before (looking at you, "Gayniggers from Outer Space"), but if that sucks and my itch goes unscratched, I need backup.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Bad Taste/Meet the Feebles

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Alvarez IV posted:

What's some low-budget, sleazy, camp horror or horror-adjacent stuff that will scratch my itch for Troma/John Waters/Rocky Horror? For comparison's sake, a friend told me about "Attack of the Adult Babies" which I might just watch based off the name alone, which has never failed me before (looking at you, "Gayniggers from Outer Space"), but if that sucks and my itch goes unscratched, I need backup.

How about Frank Henenlotter’s stuff? Basket Case, Brain Damage, Frankenhooker (which I haven’t seen but I expect it fits your request...)

Kvlt! posted:

also these

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Alvarez IV posted:

I could wrack my brain and come up with a big list of campy, low-budget "horror-adjacent" movies but just watch Thundercrack! my dude. I mean, you like Troma and John Waters so I think you can tolerate really gross, unsimulated sex in a nearly-plotless movie that's heavily inspired by old "people trapped in a creepy mansion in a thunderstorm" movies. John Waters is a huge fan of it too, so there you go.

Also Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-o-Rama... and There's Nothing Out There Or if you want a little bit of gore with your incoherent garbage movies, how about Hack-O-Lantern?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

gey muckle mowser posted:

How about Frank Henenlotter’s stuff? Basket Case, Brain Damage, Frankenhooker (which I haven’t seen but I expect it fits your request...)

It very much does.

Also shout out to Alvarez, the other person who has seen GNFOS. Perhaps now people will believe me when I say it's real.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jedit posted:

It very much does.

Also shout out to Alvarez, the other person who has seen GNFOS. Perhaps now people will believe me when I say it's real.

Whenever someone tries to guilt me over movies I've gone out of my way to see, this is the one I keep in the back of my mind when I say I've seen worse.

As for Alvarez's question, I'd go with Street Trash, Slime City, and if you can find it, Rusty Nails' 2005 movie, Acne.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 20, 2019

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Street Trash is definitely essential viewing. Maybe La Grand Bouffe would fit what your looking for too?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jedit posted:

I saw it a very long time ago. About the only thing I can say about it is that it had way more effort put into it than I expected based on the title.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kvlt! posted:

If you're not gonna round it out with Dead Alive (as it's too obvious), you have to go with Body Melt.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Alvarez IV posted:

Terrorvision, Breeders, Creepozoids, Pieces, Evil Toons

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Terrorvision is a good one. It's on Prime.

Midnight Pooptrain
Oct 13, 2012

2001's Father of the Year
Wow 28 Weeks Later is kinda stupid.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Disposable Scud posted:

Wow 28 Weeks Later is kinda stupid.

How so? I admit it does have some fairly big flaws and I'm curious to hear what you've got to say on it.

Midnight Pooptrain
Oct 13, 2012

2001's Father of the Year
The whole cure thing was dumb but the biggest standout is the sequence where the dude chainsaws the zombies with his helicopter blades. Not only does it look awful but it's hysterically stupid and doesn't really fit the tone. That's a big problem with the film for me. There are some cool, interesting bits but there is also some really silly crap.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The best thing about 28 Weeks Later was having the alternate take of Jeremy Renner pushing the car and winking at the camera, while in the theatrical version, he gets roasted right away and dies unceremoniously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Disposable Scud posted:

The whole cure thing was dumb but the biggest standout is the sequence where the dude chainsaws the zombies with his helicopter blades. Not only does it look awful but it's hysterically stupid and doesn't really fit the tone. That's a big problem with the film for me. There are some cool, interesting bits but there is also some really silly crap.

Granted it's been a while since I've sat through it, but Robert Carlyle's character being able to get that far into a predominantly military facility did come across a bit contrived to me. Equally regarding the cure, I'd like to think they'd have better security/containment in place. I also found it a bit odd that considering what everyone knew about the Rage virus that no one bothered to think about what the absolute worst case scenarios could be and do some planning in advance as a just in case.

I do like the movie enough to own a copy and wish to someday see a 28 months or 28 years later movie to see where they take things, though I doubt that'll ever happen.