Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Coasterphreak posted:

Lost power in the middle of dinner last night because some dipshit hit a power pole and took out the whole block. Was pretty much told "do what you can and get out of there if it's not back on in an hour or so".

Now I get to head up there this morning and hope that a) the power is actually back on, b) the surge beforehand didn't destroy anything expensive, c) we didn't lose too much product, and d) the money isn't hosed up because I didn't have any checkouts to rectify the drawers.

Pray for me.

Ugh. Good luck dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!
I accepted a gm position so pray for me when you pray for coaster too please tia

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Field Mousepad posted:

I accepted a gm position so pray for me when you pray for coaster too please tia

Good luck on your poor life choices and enjoy your pending alcoholism.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!
Pending hahahaha

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Field Mousepad posted:

Pending hahahaha

Increasing tenfold alcoholism then.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Fortunately it looks like the power was only out for three or four hours, so we didn't lose any product. Still had to spend almost 90 minutes getting the POS to boot up, work correctly, and actually report my sales for yesterday accurately.

gently caress Aloha.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Coasterphreak posted:

gently caress Aloha.

yes

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coasterphreak posted:

gently caress Aloha.

Imagine working at a place that closes at two and the daylight savings change over crashes the system.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yeah 'imagine'. :stonklol:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah 'imagine'. :stonklol:

I will say this in defense of Aloha, on one of my first days using it I somehow managed to delete a credit card payment accidently, so I had a signed slip with the customers name and the last 4 digits of their cc# and my manager was able to find the original payment in the system and re-approve it.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Graduation weekend in a college town. Let’s fuckin go. See you on the other side. Pray for mojo

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I needed a reminder on who our patron saints were, so we can pray to right one, and found this article:

https://www.loyolapress.com/our-catholic-faith/prayer/arts-and-faith/culinary-arts/the-patron-saints-of-the-culinary-arts

Appropriately enough, Google also autofill suggested "who is the patron saint of alcoholism?". Google knows what's up.

Anyways, *~thoughts and prayers~* to all my brothers and sisters. Maybe I'll get out before 2:30 am tonight. I will admit, it's a nice perk of clocking out of the kitchen at that hour that, while technically it's illegal to serve, if you help FOH put up chairs and clean up, you get infinite shots in a styrofoam cup (don't want the cops that are hovering around since that shooting to see anyone drinking past 2:00 thru our huge plate glass windows, doncha know). Belle Island honey habanero moonshine is the loving tits, but hoo boy am I feeling it. Going back to bed for a couple more hours.

Godspeed, y'all.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

The Maestro posted:

Graduation weekend in a college town. Let’s fuckin go. See you on the other side. Pray for mojo

Thurs-sun 436 dinner covers
222 brunch covers
3 private parties
6 menus

Gonna sleep for all of today

I know lots of places will put up much larger numbers but my kitchen is a repurposed hallway

As predicted, despite cramming every available storage space with food as well as strategically not refrigerating things like butter and whole eggs for the first couple days of the week we straight up just started running out of food.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
For Father's day we had two different brunch buffets, a "casual" and "finer" (read seafood) buffet. The marketing team hosed up and only advertised the casual one. We have three restaurants total, and the seafood buffet is at our steakhouse, generally only open in the evening, not at brunch time. This caused an interesting chain reaction where the casual buffet overflowed massively because nobody knew about the other one, and all the overflow customers went to the third restaurant and overflowed them. Every cook on premises was utterly slammed for hours.

Except me, the lone cook assigned to the seafood buffet. I went to work expecting to get beat up all day and instead did 40 or so covers over five hours. I couldn't even go help elsewhere, I was required to stand around and do nothing in case a guest wanted an omelette or a steak grilled (both to order on the buffet).

All in all a good day.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

pile of brown posted:

Thurs-sun 436 dinner covers
222 brunch covers
3 private parties
6 menus

Gonna sleep for all of today

I know lots of places will put up much larger numbers but my kitchen is a repurposed hallway

As predicted, despite cramming every available storage space with food as well as strategically not refrigerating things like butter and whole eggs for the first couple days of the week we straight up just started running out of food.

Thurs-sun we did 870 lunch / 360 late lunch, 1350 dinner (just for comparison, not to try to one-up)

We made it

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
We do around 3k every day

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I needed a reminder on who our patron saints were, so we can pray to right one, and found this article:
https://www.loyolapress.com/our-catholic-faith/prayer/arts-and-faith/culinary-arts/the-patron-saints-of-the-culinary-arts

Elizabeth of Hungary :smug:

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 18, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The gently caress?

https://twitter.com/VPestilenZ/status/1140437217619390465?s=19

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Imma have to gently caress with that.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I signed on to do some agency chef work before finding out I got a good new full time job and boy howdy the two shifts I did before leaving were great reminders why I quit the industry. Physical and verbal abuse, miserable atmosphere, a 9 hour shift where the supervisor tried to bully me into doing 14 hours straight and now they're trying to not pay me.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Stringent posted:

Imma have to gently caress with that.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

I tried that garlic thing and it just cleaved a chunk out of the clove rather than pulling the whole clove out. I'll have to gently caress with it more when I have time to experiment. There's obviously more technique involved than it appears.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Things like that tend to only work with certain cloves of garlic. I have been conned by so many videos of garlic tricks.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
My company just won a huge bid for a set of new culinary properties in our airport, it is unreal how much we are about to expand. I'm up for the culinary directorship for our entire set of holdings in this airport. I'm loving stoked y'all.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

My company just won a huge bid for a set of new culinary properties in our airport, it is unreal how much we are about to expand. I'm up for the culinary directorship for our entire set of holdings in this airport. I'm loving stoked y'all.

that's great. I'm still kinda amazed how airports now have decent restaurants in them now, it used to be the best option was always a chili's to go if you were lucky

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Local resto guy asks how to get good staff Calls BoH dipshits in the next answer.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Local resto guy asks how to get good staff Calls BoH dipshits in the next answer.

I also read dipshit the first time, but it turns out he wrote dishpit. These are only sometimes the same thing.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

We do around 3k every day

That sounds exhausting- that’s .07% of our city’s population

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Maestro posted:

That sounds exhausting- that’s .07% of our city’s population

We're in a major international airport, so

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian talks about the garlic trick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V01oQ7zY5o

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

captkirk posted:

Canadian talks about the garlic trick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V01oQ7zY5o

:eyepop: :randpop: :captainpop: :chanpop:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Yeah, when I gave this a shot the other night it just kept pulling the cloves off the root entirely. I figured there was a trick to it but for something as simple as peeling garlic (at home, not commercially) it wasn't worth the effort.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
it only works on "hardnecked garlic", whatever the gently caress that is

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

I wonder how many idiots have stabbed themselves thanks to the original video

Tsathoggua
Apr 6, 2005
I am not eat breakfast food.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Also keeps saying that he pays competitively, but never clarifies what that means.

I run a low/midsized kitchen in Ottawa. I start green cooks at 16 (minimum is 14), and tipout usually adds ~1.25 more. I'm actively arguing for a better tipout.

I am open and transparent with these things whenever I post an ad for employees. I've never had a problem filling a position.

He's probably being wishy-washy and promising raises that never come, demanding more and offering less.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Tsathoggua posted:

Also keeps saying that he pays competitively, but never clarifies what that means.

I run a low/midsized kitchen in Ottawa. I start green cooks at 16 (minimum is 14), and tipout usually adds ~1.25 more. I'm actively arguing for a better tipout.

I am open and transparent with these things whenever I post an ad for employees. I've never had a problem filling a position.

He's probably being wishy-washy and promising raises that never come, demanding more and offering less.

BOH and FOH staff are in very short supply in Houston, but that's in large part because we have an absolutely massive number of restaurants that don't want to spend the time/money/effort on training anyone. Owners are thrilled when they find someone from one of the larger local groups looking for work, and that person generally leaves fairly quickly because either the environment sucks, the money sucks, or both.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Shooting Blanks posted:

BOH and FOH staff are in very short supply in Houston, but that's in large part because we have an absolutely massive number of restaurants that don't want to spend the time/money/effort on training anyone. Owners are thrilled when they find someone from one of the larger local groups looking for work, and that person generally leaves fairly quickly because either the environment sucks, the money sucks, or both.

Same at the place I work at. It's been noticable the last few years with staff that was from the surrounding towns has turned to staff with 2-3 times the commute. All the "locals" have either worked here or have heard how bad it is and don't apply.

The big problem we are about to face is with the J-1 intern program. Allegedly we are no longer have the ability to receive those interns (which I'm very conflicted about) and it seems like the collapse of culinary schools is leaving us with probably 15 openings.

I hope this pushes wages up and better conditions, but I'm not holding my breath.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm more and more convinced the collapse of culinary schools is a good thing.

In the short term it's going to suck, but it will vastly reduce the number of people leaving the industry after 2-3 years at most with massive debts from for-profit schools.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Watched this last night, which I found fascinating and fully support. It goes beyond the culinary realm, but she makes some good points and I think it'd be healthy in the restaurant industry and beyond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It's always important to remember that keeping salaries secret is a huge boon to employers because it means they hold all the information in salary negotiations. Anyone with a good grasp of their books kows exactly how much a worker's labor is worth to the company.

Going in to negotiate against that with at best a few guesses from memory or Glass door as to what your labor is worth will put you at a huge disadvantage, and every dollar not paid out in labor is free profit.