Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The sick thing is my family already owns the plot or whatever. My mother wants her baby brother buried next to their parents so that’s what we will do. It’s going to cost $8-10k for nothing. Death dealers are what this crap is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

No doubt. Funerals are among the most unethical businesses out there. Hiding under a cloak of caring while wanting to wring every last dime out of you at grotesque profit margins under the guise "don't they deserve it?" should give most people in that industry a special place in hell.

When my sister in law died, I did the leg work of arranging the cremation, service, et al because I was the least directly attached of everyone (and have a reputation of not taking bullshit from people) and holy, what an eye opener.

QuarkMartial posted:

Agreed. I don't have a will, but it's well known to my spouse that I want them to harvest what's good (organ donor) and burn the rest (cremation).

My MIL got a great deal on some plots and a bench when my FIL died, so my wife and I will be cremated and thrown in the bench.
Even if you and your family know you want to be cremated, for the sake of your spouse and next of kin please get at least a simple, legal will made up. Dealing with someone dying intestate is a pain in the rear end. Trust me. I know.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

IOwnCalculus posted:

Have they figured out how to reduce a human to hydrocarbons yet? Cook me down to a fuel additive and go do donuts.

That...actually sounds awesome.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

slidebite posted:

No doubt. Funerals are among the most unethical businesses out there. Hiding under a cloak of caring while wanting to wring every last dime out of you at grotesque profit margins under the guise "don't they deserve it?" should give most people in that industry a special place in hell.

Did I ever mention I dated someone (briefly) that was going to mortuary school, and they actually did wind up working for one of the largest funeral home companies in the US?

Yeah.... they realized dead bodies weren't nearly as cool once they saw how much of a profit funeral homes are trying to make during one of the worst times of someone's life.

Elviscat posted:

STR: Thank gently caress you've got a W2 job now, at least you could pull unemployment if they pulled poo poo like that.

Unfortunately the W2 job is still part time (though I'm getting close to full time hours), but they did promise a conversion to full time fairly quickly. I wish I made a bit more, but the job has a pretty strong career path with a very well established company. And during my first interview, my now-boss was comfortable enough with me to tell me exactly how much I would cap out at, how much the next step up the ladder starts at, what the median pay is for that position, and what that position caps out at. So far, now-boss has been very approachable, though his comrade (other dept manager) is a little bit.... distant I guess? But I found out other dept manager had asked the rest of the dept to get my phone # the next time they saw me either shopping or working, so he can call me in easily when poo poo hits the fan (they don't have access to the HR systems late at night; they have a list of everyone's phone numbers in receiving for when poo poo really hits the fan).

The W2 job is also a large enough company that they're subject to all of the state and federal employment laws, and have actual HR and legal teams (they're huge - over 100,000 employees). I've also contracted for them before doing delivery, and even as a contractor, they were the best company to deal with out of all of the ones I've contracted with.

The poo poo hit the fan at home. GF is apparently in a very :quagmire: mood. I'm very much NOT in a sexytime mood, and just want to be left alone right now. She got really pissed when I finally dropped the "NO MEANS NO, DAMNIT" bit. :smith:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Have they figured out how to reduce a human to hydrocarbons yet? Cook me down to a fuel additive and go do donuts.

So would the exhaust smell like your farts, the last thing you ate, or bacon?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Day 3 of some kind of stomach/digestive tract issue. Not sure if its my mushroom allergy, its got all the right symptoms, but i cannot narrow down when I would have been exposed to it at all.

My arse has been resembling Mount Doom Post frodo's visit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you see blood, go straight to a doctor.

I thought i just had the flu and then i pretty much died.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

everdave posted:

In other news I don’t care what anyone says funerals and the $$$ is a giant scam.

My extremely sick dad (two different types of terminal liver cancer despite being a non-drinking, non-funhaving person who biked 20 miles a day his whole life) died en route from my uncle's cabin in Wisconsin to the Mayo clinic in Minnesota and died 3 minutes into the Great State of Minnesota, where you can literally throw someone in a dumpster and call it good. Saved his estate $5000 and was so typical of my dad being a cheapass, we all laughed about it.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I'm really, really sorry to hear about your family, dave. My condolences.

Ferremit posted:

Day 3 of some kind of stomach/digestive tract issue. Not sure if its my mushroom allergy, its got all the right symptoms, but i cannot narrow down when I would have been exposed to it at all.

My arse has been resembling Mount Doom Post frodo's visit.

Any fake meat intake? Quorn brand stuff is mostly mushroom proteins for their fake chicken. The nuggets are passable.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

STR posted:

Agreed. Throw me in a cardboard box and toss me in with compost.

Same. My family has been made well aware of my intent for direct cremation, no visitation and no funeral, same as Dad, and I've got a simple will drawn up for the purpose.

Take the money and throw a wake for the very few people who'll care I'm dead.

STR posted:

The poo poo hit the fan at home. GF is apparently in a very :quagmire: mood. I'm very much NOT in a sexytime mood, and just want to be left alone right now. She got really pissed when I finally dropped the "NO MEANS NO, DAMNIT" bit. :smith:

:smith: That poo poo ain't kosher, man. Hope your situation improves!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

My desire for 'burial'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rtu1Va-dnM

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Was waiting for this :v:

If all my best buds survive when I die, I want them to come together and make their best attempt at amateur rocketry.

My ashes either slip the surly bonds of Earth and travel through the cosmos for all eternity OR my flaming remains rain down from a spectacular explosion. Win/win.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I want to buy an old gas well, and turn it into a 2km long vacuum bazooka and launch my dead body into space.

Some aliens are gonna find my frozen corpse and think "wow, this guy was awesome"

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I still need to get a will set up. But it will read something along the lines of "just burn me up and do whatever with me afterward." Better than taking up space in the ground on this dying, gay Earth.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I'm happy for any serviceable parts to be removed and reused from my body. I like the idea of making death a final good act for those still living.

The rest just go nuts with.
Need a spare ball to kick around? Feel free to take my skull if I'm not longer using it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

freelop posted:

I'm happy for any serviceable parts to be removed and reused from my body. I like the idea of making death a final good act for those still living.

The rest just go nuts with.
Need a spare ball to kick around? Feel free to take my skull if I'm not longer using it.

Put it in your will that I get your skull. I will turn you into a bowling ball and destroy the lanes of Hell with it...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
How much does a will cost? I'm pretty young and don't plan on dying soon, but the panic attacks really make me think about what's going to happen when I do die

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

How much does a will cost? I'm pretty young and don't plan on dying soon, but the panic attacks really make me think about what's going to happen when I do die

If you are young and no kids I’m sure a free or $25 online will would be fine man.

I am trying not to vent my disgust about funeral and funeral homes and caskets and flowers you might as well kill me again if someone spends hundreds of dollars on loving flowers for me. I keep telling my mom these people are not ur friends this is nothing but dollar signs to them. Disgusting.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Our favorite YouTube car destroyerbuilder has found an audience in other forums.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
To be fair, that paint booth is terrifying.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Anyone bought a ELM327 reader lately? Any recommendations/bad ones? I probably need one for LEAFSpy - and will be trying to do weird stuff like run an android VM on my computer because I don't have a phone that can do it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Guess it's a good thing I got the grocery store job. Main delivery gig got yanked out from under me (and my usual fallback one announced they're ceasing operations next week).

I spent 15 years (off and on) in food service; I'm never rude to restaurant employees, retail workers, etc, and I sure as hell don't harass them. I only did 2 deliveries today; one of them from a place where I'm on a first name basis with the managers and to-go staff. The other one I've never been to before, but it was a quick "Hi, I'm here to pick up a <delivery service> order for <name>", followed by "Thanks, have a good one!" when they handed me the order. I got "your session has expired" and couldn't log back in shortly after, and had that email waiting for me.

Goddamn, STR, can you not catch a break? What the hell?

slothrop posted:

Was waiting for this :v:

If all my best buds survive when I die, I want them to come together and make their best attempt at amateur rocketry.

My ashes either slip the surly bonds of Earth and travel through the cosmos for all eternity OR my flaming remains rain down from a spectacular explosion. Win/win.

Yes, this. Space-X needs to set up a side business filling out the cargo holds in their rockets with cremation urns that they can jettison into space. I'd pay for that, but certainly not more than an actual burial.

Powershift posted:

I want to buy an old gas well, and turn it into a 2km long vacuum bazooka and launch my dead body into space.

Some aliens are gonna find my frozen corpse and think "wow, this guy was awesome"

I like you. You think good.

To those ends, I *really* need to set up a basic will. I'm almost 50 - practically dead.
Already an organ donor on my driver's license. If it's still good, have at it!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dagen H posted:

Our favorite YouTube car destroyerbuilder has found an audience in other forums.

Oh, goddammit.
I don't even want to look. I got tired of yelling at my monitor some time ago. I gather from the thread that he forgot the actual primary reason to build a paint booth - clean air in and fumes out. Of course.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Oh, goddammit.
I don't even want to look. I got tired of yelling at my monitor some time ago. I gather from the thread that he forgot the actual primary reason to build a paint booth - clean air in and fumes out. Of course.

He put extension cords and power splitters behind the drywall

Also whatever the gently caress he did here

I don't understand how someone can be so loving stupid, and so confident in their loving stupidity.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Powershift posted:

He put extension cords and power splitters behind the drywall

Also whatever the gently caress he did here

I don't understand how someone can be so loving stupid, and so confident in their loving stupidity.

Stupidity and confidence are inversely proportionate.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

Stupidity and confidence are inversely proportionate.

He said, confidently.

This says the opposite of what you mean to say.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

KillHour posted:

He said, confidently.

This says the opposite of what you mean to say.

That'll learn me to post after a 12 hour day :negative:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The step-daughter (okay she actually only offically becomes that in 6 weeks time but w/e) turns 13 next week

https://shop.lego.com/en-AU/product/Porsche-911-RSR-42096

I think she might like that

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Do you think she'll like it or do you think you'll like it?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

JDM braps incoming

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KakerMix posted:

JDM braps incoming

:hmmyes: since it has a chainsaw engine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can't decide on a new car and it's starting to become a serious headache.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Honda Civic it is the Ideal Transportation Appliance

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

Honda Civic it is the Ideal Transportation Appliance

I drove a Type R. It was okay I guess.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Perhaps you should drive a base model for maximum satisfaction.

The Accord Sport is available with 2.0T motor and a 6 speed and stickers for around $27k. That's an attractive car right now.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

KakerMix posted:

JDM braps incoming

Rhyno posted:

Hmm.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Rhyno posted:

Naw dude I'm talking base LX with a 6spd. gently caress that Type R noise.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Yeah the new accord sport is pretty compelling and deserves a serious consideration.

I have been busy, won a 19k mile Toyota Celsior oh and this, has 12k miles:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Is that a Bluebird or some other Nissan? I spent a lot of time driving a friends manual/diesel Bluebird wagon of that era. I was amazing/tragic. It was the perfect learners car, you could not stall it. I don't think it had those killer fender mirrors or round headlights. We did fit over a ton (1000kg) of freshly varnished transformers in the back of it once though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I have just what a discerning man like you needs. Let me show you this gorgeous, practicality new convertible sports car. Best engineering Britain has to offer, this one. Still under warranty, too! Now, I'm getting a ton of offers on this, but since I like you, I could let it go for a measly 140. I know, I know, I'm basically letting you rob me at that price. I don't know why I'm doing it - I guess I'm just a softie. Whaddya say, pal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KillHour posted:

I have just what a discerning man like you needs. Let me show you this gorgeous, practicality new convertible sports car. Best engineering Britain has to offer, this one. Still under warranty, too! Now, I'm getting a ton of offers on this, but since I like you, I could let it go for a measly 140. I know, I know, I'm basically letting you rob me at that price. I don't know why I'm doing it - I guess I'm just a softie. Whaddya say, pal?

You make enough bad decisions for the rest of us.