Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Has anyone ever seen the option to get a tomahawk not frenched?

I mean the best part is what you gnaw off the bone anyway soooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Anne Whateley posted:

Has anyone ever seen the option to get a tomahawk not frenched?

I mean the best part is what you gnaw off the bone anyway soooo

They’d have oxidized brown spots all over, and loose pieces of membrane. No butcher shops want that on display.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

Pork belly burnt ends

I followed the recipe from the Youtube video posted earlier and they were unbelievable. They literally melt in your mouth. Dad kept making Homer Simpson-esque grunts of satisfaction 20 minutes after he finished eating (which is a high compliment coming from him) and declared this one of the best meals he’s ever eaten. He still hasn’t stopped raving about it.

I can't seem to find the video you are talking about.
Got a link?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Time for another round of 72 hour puddled & smoked short ribs!

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

toplitzin posted:

I can't seem to find the video you are talking about.
Got a link?

Pretty sure it's this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL82hlORY-k

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

qutius posted:

I've been working on perfecting my smoked wings and finally broke down and bought a Vortex. Hot drat does this thing work as advertised, even if it is a little spendy. I've had fried wings that were more soggy than what we were pulling off the smoker yesterday. Continue to tweak the buffalo style sauce as well, which only keeps getting better and better too.

Those look amazing. Can you talk a bit about your recipe/method (time to cook, temp, water/no water pan, rub, etc)? I've never tried wings but want to do some soon. My smoker is gas so obviously it'll be a little different.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

qutius posted:

Continue to tweak the buffalo style sauce as well, which only keeps getting better and better too.

Franks, butter, a splash of rice vinegar, a little fish sauce and some sugar. Boom.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Finally after a bunch of crap rain got my new smoker assembled.

Not bad, some things I'm a little suspect with (like the seals and a few fasteners) but for the price...not bad. And all that is fixable if I get a burr up my butt.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I just RTV red sealed my top vent, (Louisiana 24" kamado) someone online said it would make it work better. I hope that's fine, it's only good to 650° I'd have to online order black.

I got a ton of compliments on 17 pounds pulled pork, ribs are next with smoked beans from scratch then maybe pizza!

I think I'll order some accessories from https://ceramicgrillstore.com/ soon

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Has anyone smoked on a Weber Genesis? We just replaced our aging Duquesne with a Genesis II. Heard you could dial it in decently to 250f or so. I do not neeeeed to smoke on it, having the Broil King Keg for that duty, but if room is needed for lots of meat I may give it a shot.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I've got two 6 pound chickens that are spatchcocked and rubbed with dry rub. If Im tossing them both in an MES at 225, anyone got a rough ballpark how long I should give? If done early I'll FTC it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

10 Beers posted:

I've got two 6 pound chickens that are spatchcocked and rubbed with dry rub. If Im tossing them both in an MES at 225, anyone got a rough ballpark how long I should give? If done early I'll FTC it.

Chicken really doesn't cook well in a MES. like you can smoke poo poo for sure, but you'll really want to grill finish.

I wanna say they'll only need and hour or two of smoke for flavor before you'll want to move them someplace that can hit 350+

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

toplitzin posted:

Chicken really doesn't cook well in a MES. like you can smoke poo poo for sure, but you'll really want to grill finish.

I wanna say they'll only need and hour or two of smoke for flavor before you'll want to move them someplace that can hit 350+

Not that I'm doubting you, but why?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
You need to finish in a higher temp to get the fat under the skin to render and crisp up the skin.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Yeah, spatchcocked I'd give 75-90 minute on the smoker and another 25-30 to crisp the skin.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This pellet grill makes me feel like a fraud.

Tri tip. Rubbed, sat in fridge for 6 hours.

2.5 hours at 180 degrees to 135 meat temp. (In-laws were over, can't have raw meat. :rolleyes:)

Seared

Sliced

Could have rested a little longer, but was still fantastic.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

2.5 hours at 180 degrees to 135 meat temp. (In-laws were over, can't have raw meat. :rolleyes:)

Seared

Sliced

Yeah pellet and electric smokers are cheating but you can’t argue with the results.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

FogHelmut posted:

Seared

Sliced

Looks baller. How long did you rest for? I find that no matter how long I rest trip tip for I always feel like I could have rested more.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

ada shatan posted:

Looks baller. How long did you rest for? I find that no matter how long I rest trip tip for I always feel like I could have rested more.

Yeah I usually rest for like 20 minutes and find that I probably should have rested it like another 10 at least.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
So at BBQ comps are propane/electric/pellet smokers allowed or are they restricted to charcoal/wood fired only? Are people carting these around and running them on generators?

I used the consider these things cheating but I realized that was BBQ gatekeeping. Now I encourage my friends to get an easy to run smoker. I had a friend try my BBQ and get all inspired, so he bought a cheap wal-mart WSM knockoff and a bag of charcoal. He never got around to putting it together and ended up selling the smoker and giving me the charcoal. I bet he would have used a plug and play smoker.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Competition BBQ Rules are still gatekeeping.
Charcoal and wood only.

No MES, pellets, SV, or propane allowed.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 22, 2019

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Thanks guys! Supposed to storm all day today so I guess I'll use the oven. Any advice for temperature and time?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

10 Beers posted:

Thanks guys! Supposed to storm all day today so I guess I'll use the oven. Any advice for temperature and time?

500F for 45m, or until breast is 150F and thigh is 175F about ~45m, turn it down to 450 if it starts browning too quickly.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ada shatan posted:

Probably 15 minutes after the sear. It was also resting 10 before the sear while the grill got up to searing temperature. I expected it to finish in 2 hours, not 2.5, so I was pushing it a little because I was hungry.

Even though this pellet grill makes smoke the entire time, the smoke flavor is not as intense as the charcoal. Could be the pellets I'm using, or it could be that I burned out my taste buds.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

I don't understand why are electric smokers and pellets not allowed at competitions? Wouldn't that make more sense to just have everyone have the exact same device?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Because that's "cheating" and too easy to be "authentic" bbq, and we can't have that now can we?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Doesn't charcoal taste better/give better flavor anyway? I always figured that was part of why it was done. I mean, I'm pretty happy with my propane smoker and grill but doing burgers over charcoal is always better it seems.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah the pellets and electrics don't give the same flavor. It'd be easier for the people smoking but the taste doesn't stack up.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
They allow the BBQ Guru/PartyQ/Whatever automated air/temp regulator though, and that's just as much "cheating" as a pellet smoker

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

McSpankWich posted:

They allow the BBQ Guru/PartyQ/Whatever automated air/temp regulator though, and that's just as much "cheating" as a pellet smoker

Holy poo poo I’m competition grade!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah the pellets and electrics don't give the same flavor. It'd be easier for the people smoking but the taste doesn't stack up.

Incorrect.

The only thing that you won't get on an electric is the smoke ring, and that you can fake with a light dusting of sodium nitrate.

Flavor wise, I've blind tested my q against "traditional Q" and come out ahead.

The only thing you can't get on the electric is the high temp finishing for poultry and some desserts.

Pellets can totally rock the 500° grill temps.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

After using a MES for years I got a pellet smoker for myself for Father's Day and drat does this thing feel like cheating. Did my first brisket and was projecting 12 hours, came in at 12:15. Checked the temp every 45 minutes or so and it never deviated that much from 225. Lots of good flavor and my first smoke ring.

Throw in that I can use it as a grill for burgers, chicken, chops, and steaks and I'm in heaven.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

After using a MES for years I got a pellet smoker for myself for Father's Day and drat does this thing feel like cheating. Did my first brisket and was projecting 12 hours, came in at 12:15. Checked the temp every 45 minutes or so and it never deviated that much from 225. Lots of good flavor and my first smoke ring.

Throw in that I can use it as a grill for burgers, chicken, chops, and steaks and I'm in heaven.

That looks great! I really like that serving platter you have there, where did you get it?

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Twlight posted:

That looks great! I really like that serving platter you have there, where did you get it?

It's some odd sized tray that they used on trains back in like the early 60's. I have a set of 4 of them and they are easily the most used items in my kitchen, and I don't have a clue why.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
How are the economics of the pellet grills? I used to have an outdoor pizza oven that ran on pellets and it was exxxpppeeennssssiiiivvvvveeee, but you had to use some ultra premium ones otherwise they burned dirty and not hot enough.

For a 12 hour brisket cook, how many $ worth of pellets would you say you go through (non-winter)?

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I’m about to make the jump from my faithful MES to some type of pellet smoker. Which one did you go with, if I may ask?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I did some ribs this weekend, now I have a ton of leftover ribs. MES30. 2 hours uncovered, 2 hours in foil with some apple juice, 10 minutes on grill.

Probably will foil for longer, they were tender but i want to be able to slide the bones out clean damnit.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

I'm about to make the jump from my faithful MES to some type of pellet smoker. Which one did you go with, if I may ask?

Doom Rooster posted:

How are the economics of the pellet grills? I used to have an outdoor pizza oven that ran on pellets and it was exxxpppeeennssssiiiivvvvveeee, but you had to use some ultra premium ones otherwise they burned dirty and not hot enough.

For a 12 hour brisket cook, how many $ worth of pellets would you say you go through (non-winter)?

I bought my Pit Boss Pro 820 from Lowes and got a 40 pound bag of pellets at the same time for $15. I still have about 10 pounds left after smoking for 25 hours and grilling for about 5 hours. The higher heat is going to use to use pellets quicker, but I haven't really gotten a handle yet on how much more. I was really surprised that Lowes had the best price locally for grills and pellets.

I looked at both Pit Boss and Z-Grills, but someone on here bought a Louisiana Grill pellet grill recently which is supposed to be a higher end Pit Boss. Never really considered a Traeger because of the price point. After 7 weeks I love the thing. Smoke/grill time is a breeze, cleanup isn't terrble, and the fuel cost is probably between charcoal and propane.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Moey posted:

I did some ribs this weekend, now I have a ton of leftover ribs. MES30. 2 hours uncovered, 2 hours in foil with some apple juice, 10 minutes on grill.

Now make McRib sammiches.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/09/ultimate-homemade-diy-mcrib-recipe.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Strangely enough, that was my plan! Thanks for the link.