Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i will always have a certain fondness for 3.0 because someone (fuyutsuki) finally sat shinji down and explained what was going on to him. no one ever told him poo poo! orders and lies were all he ever got from anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1141199021236580352?s=19

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've never seen any real evidence that Anno "hates his fans"/nerds in general inherently.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think it comes from the feeling that he received hate mail and death threats for the TV Eva Ending and was like "Well gently caress, let's go for a ride fanboys".

To the tune of Komm Suisser Töd:
Everyone dies Everyone Dies EVERYONE DIES

And then he posted screenshots of the emails.

And then he derided fans for not getting the meaning he was trying to convey and instead going "Oh wow Waifu Rei so mysterious and fragile" or "BAKA SHINJI MAN UP AND PILOT EVA" or "Duuuude Kaji has like a golden dick I would TOTALLY bang Asuka if I was him guy is a player! :hfive:"

publishko
Feb 16, 2014
Watching this show for the first time was an interesting experience when you have also inadvertently and semi-consciously absorbed ~20 years of Discourse about the show and you realize you already have deeply ingrained impressions of the characters, the fanbase, the creator, and the creator's relationship to the fanbase.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Oh snap, and here I am right in the middle of a rewatch with the Platinum discs. Oh, well, guess it will be two rewatches in a row

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i will always have a certain fondness for 3.0 because someone (fuyutsuki) finally sat shinji down and explained what was going on to him. no one ever told him poo poo! orders and lies were all he ever got from anyone.

I in particular appreciated this because I too had no idea what the gently caress happened in the original series. In fact they do the same thing in the first movie with Misato just showing Shinji Lillith to show him why they're doing anything.

I don't really get the negativity toward the rebuild movies but I guess that's because it was billed to me as "Eva but they changed all the rules" and considering I had watched the original like, ten years before seeing it I was more on board.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
This generation of twitter discourse combined with Evangelion sounds like just about the most horrible thing.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Justin_Brett posted:

This generation of twitter discourse combined with Evangelion sounds like just about the most horrible thing.

Yeah, it’s gonna rule

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Momomo posted:

I in particular appreciated this because I too had no idea what the gently caress happened in the original series. In fact they do the same thing in the first movie with Misato just showing Shinji Lillith to show him why they're doing anything.

I don't really get the negativity toward the rebuild movies but I guess that's because it was billed to me as "Eva but they changed all the rules" and considering I had watched the original like, ten years before seeing it I was more on board.

Most of the negativity that I've seen personally is how the 3rd rebuild movie just throws you into the middle of a new plot halfway through and expects you to keep up with no real way to do so. Personally I liked it as a 3rd act, as it wouldn't be Eva without Shinji gettin dunked on repeatedly, and it made me like Kaworu a lot more than I used to, but with how long the wait for the 4th has become my impatience makes rewatching the 3rd a huge beating.

In any case, the music for Rebuild is killer and I love it dearly.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

No, this post is.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Talkc posted:

3.0 rebuild was one of those experiences where i legit could not predict anything that was going to happen next from moment to moment.

It at least had that going for it throughout.

I watched 3.0 in a legit theater surrounded by cosplayers. It was genuinely my most memorable cinematic experience; there's some absolutely jawdropping scenes at that resolution.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

imagine not being on team rei, the defining anime girl of a generation and one of the most influential ever

:yeah:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's astounding how insanely far shinji had to go to get even the most basic questions answered in that movie

everyone just loving hates him but refuses to tell him why, ever

up to and including Misato who iirc was actively cheering him on when he did The Thing

Momomo posted:

rebuild isn't bad but 3.0 casts a massive shadow on the entire thing

also it feels like anno falling back into bad habits more than anything. have no idea where to take the plot? shoot metaphors at the screen like a cloud of ink and run away

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 20, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Rebuild 3.0 Shinji is like a teenage boy dealing with an angry girlfriend.

"Wait why do you hate me?"
'YOU hosed IT ALL UP YOU SELFISH gently caress'
"Wh-what did I do?!"
'WHAT DIDN'T YOU DO!?'

Alternately, the end of R2.0 is represents Shinji losing his virginity, and all of R3.0 is his draling with the psychosexual fallout and emotions surrounding it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Rebuild 3.0 Shinji is like a teenage boy dealing with an angry girlfriend.

"Wait why do you hate me?"
'YOU hosed IT ALL UP YOU SELFISH gently caress'
"Wh-what did I do?!"
'WHAT DIDN'T YOU DO!?'

Alternately, the end of R2.0 is represents Shinji losing his virginity, and all of R3.0 is his draling with the psychosexual fallout and emotions surrounding it.

yeah there is kind of a "you know what you did" vibe to the whole thing

*a hymn version of the seinfeld theme plays*

Vehementer
Sep 24, 2006

All Singing All Dancing!
I really hope Rebuild 4.4 has more homoerotic piano.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Yinlock posted:

yeah there is kind of a "you know what you did" vibe to the whole thing

*a hymn version of the seinfeld theme plays*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpnNakMdvXk

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

thanks i hate it

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I think this has to be the best opening parody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJdgErAfiRQ

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Vehementer posted:

I really hope Rebuild 4.4 has more homoerotic piano.

As a gay pianist this speaks to me....

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
I don't like 3.0 because I think it misses the human scale of the series even more than 1.0 and 2.0. There are some really good scenes and reveals, but they don't have as much to contrast against.

Also I thought there was too much purple and the only good fight scene was the space intro, even if it was verging on wacky Eva hijinks type fan fiction.

My secret shameful wish is that 4.0 is just the classroom kids wondering why Shinji isn't at school today for two hours.

Reik posted:

I think this has to be the best opening parody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJdgErAfiRQ

I thought the Seinfeld one was the best but this is next level

Nanpa fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 20, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the key part of any eva opening parody is how dumb the text flashing is

dumber is better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vehementer
Sep 24, 2006

All Singing All Dancing!
This what It feels like while waiting for netflix to drop NGE...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en-lWUxhcuw