Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which episode changed his mind?
S2E01
S2E02
S2E03
S2E04
S2E05
S2E06
S2E07
S2E08
S2E09
S2E10
S2EGoku
View Results

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Did you finish the season? They're not really the villains. That's also an extremely reductive way at looking at characters and story.

The "villain" was the family not being able to get along. They hosed that up and now are going back in time to fix it. Its got good themes. Real good themes.

The tone I thought was pretty consistent; yes you have some funny stuff as comedic relief to break up the tension. That's good?

Its not high art but I thought it was well done compared to most poo poo on TV. My only issue was the pacing, it took a few episodes before we knew enough about the characters to really have fun with them. Looking forward to S2 as a result.

I didnt get very far no, the fight scene where the hitmen attack the mansion was as far as I got, but I dont see how I am supposed to sympathies with a couple of torturing murderers. As for the tone, I didnt mean the fact it had comedy elements (thought I dont remember finding anything particularly funny), its the goofy stuff like the talking monkey contrasted with super serious drama queen characters like diego. Honestly im surprised to find ppl liked it, I thought it was going to be a big flop, thats how much it turned me off . I guess it just wasnt my cup of tea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

babypolis posted:

I dont see how I am supposed to sympathies with a couple of torturing murderers.
You're not? "Not really the villains" doesn't mean they're the heroes.

babypolis posted:

its the goofy stuff like the talking monkey contrasted with super serious drama queen characters like diego.
It's about super heroes. That is what every super hero story is like.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
diego owns when you consider he is basically a slightly more functional version of that edgelord dude from The Tick, the bit where he jumps through a goddamn unlocked door broke me when I saw it. I cracked the gently caress up.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Edgelord was the tech sidekick. Do you mean Overkill? I think if it came down to a fight I'd put my money on Overkill.

The Kraken is basically just a better funded Blue Raja

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Azhais posted:

Edgelord was the tech sidekick. Do you mean Overkill? I think if it came down to a fight I'd put my money on Overkill.

The Kraken is basically just a better funded Blue Raja

I meant overkill but it owns there is a guy actually named edgelord

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013
Not a great show, but it was entertaining. Pace was a bit too slow I think.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I enjoyed the first two episodes but I have to say for a comic book that was originally written by rock musician I’m kind of disappointed in the music.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

wafflethief posted:

Not a great show, but it was entertaining. Pace was a bit too slow I think.

Yeah I totally enjoyed it but like EVERY SINGLE NETFLIX SHOW except Russian Doll, its like 5 episodes too long. Why do they do this? It costs them more money to make more episodes!

I agree with the complaints that the tone is a bit uneven, I laughed out loud when the talking monkey appeared, so the tone vacillated violently. But overall I had a lot of fun with it. Maybe its because Five was so enjoyable and Klaus just exudes charisma.

Could have done without the incest plot and everything with Ellen Page was so painfully telegraphed and boring

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mike N Eich posted:

Yeah I totally enjoyed it but like EVERY SINGLE NETFLIX SHOW except Russian Doll, its like 5 episodes too long. Why do they do this? It costs them more money to make more episodes!
Every American show, whether on conventional television or streaming, is too long. They always have to drag the story out or burn through episodes too quickly. This is not a new phenomenon, it has always been the case. People are only now starting to realise it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I disagree, I think that there’s a stylistic choice between exclusively containing content that pertains to the core plot in the story that you’re trying to tell and the amount of world building and character fleshing that is somewhat endemic of western TV dramas.

I personally enjoy spending time with characters and seeing little nitty-gritty things because sometimes they can help you to empathize with otherwise completely inhuman characters. I certainly agree that some of the Netflix series could’ve done with less (Daredevil Season 2 being the prime offender) but when I watch series like Glitch I feel like the series is over so quickly that so many of my questions are unanswered and I’m left unfulfilled.

No one is forcing you to watch something, if you’re bored after 9 episodes then why force yourself to 13? I ADORED Punisher S1 but was so bored by S2 I didn’t finish it.

Every Netflix thread is filled to bursting with people posting “I watched every episode of this show and hated every minute of it, too long!” as though they had to.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This thread confuses the gently caress out of me. Why was it run by people who didnt even want to enjoy it or give it a chance?

Motherfucker posted:

diego owns when you consider he is basically a slightly more functional version of that edgelord dude from The Tick, the bit where he jumps through a goddamn unlocked door broke me when I saw it. I cracked the gently caress up.

Diego is meant to be a Batman who wishes he was Batman but really sucks at being Batman. Its just meant as a simple deconstruction of the loner charismatic rogue.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Every American show, whether on conventional television or streaming, is too long. They always have to drag the story out or burn through episodes too quickly. This is not a new phenomenon, it has always been the case. People are only now starting to realise it.

Yeah but there's an actual economic imperative to do this with broadcast television: advertising. The more episodes the more chances for advertisers to get eyeballs on their products.

For subscription based programming like streaming sites and HBO, there's literally no reason for it. It's actually a net negative, because its costs them more money.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s almost like they’re trying to tell a story

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s almost like they’re trying to tell a story

its 100% clearly not the case for the marvel series shows, where they blatantly spin their wheels during midseasons

i mean you disagree, thats fine. I don't have to agree with you

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Tv writers still have to learn their trade writing for tv stations, usually for series that cut for commercial breaks. Sure streaming and hbo don't require that framework/structure but it can be difficult for people to unlearn structures you ve relies on or that s been demanded of you.

And not everyone is eager to experiment in the storu structure . Plus maybe the contract demands x number of seasons or episodes which in hindsight might not fit the story but now you've signed and have to deliver.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lid posted:

This thread confuses the gently caress out of me. Why was it run by people who didnt even want to enjoy it or give it a chance?

OP was tired of us talking about it in Couch Chat iirc

I should change the title later tbh. If anyone has suggestions post 'em

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Umbrella Academy: The X-Tenenbaums

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Netflix shows are too long because their internal metrics are based on time consumed. They would rather have a mediocre ten episode long season than an amazing short-run show. This is also why things only happen at the end of the episode. Altered Carbon is a perfect example of this. Plot developments happen right before the episode ends so you consume more.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mike N Eich posted:

its 100% clearly not the case for the marvel series shows, where they blatantly spin their wheels during midseasons

i mean you disagree, thats fine. I don't have to agree with you

iirc the Marvel stuff had a weird contractual stipulation of how many episodes each season had to air.

The writers should have accounted for that, knowing going in how many episodes they need to fill, but alas

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

OP was tired of us talking about it in Couch Chat iirc

I should change the title later tbh. If anyone has suggestions post 'em

I think it was one of those moments where people were coming in and complaining that there wasn’t a thread instead of actually making one

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tiggum posted:

I heard a breakdown years ago that said Western stories tend to focus on characters and so want to follow them for their whole life or until "happily ever after", while Eastern stories tend to be more based on events and so are more naturally prone to end as soon as the plot is finished.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

I think it was one of those moments where people were coming in and complaining that there wasn’t a thread instead of actually making one

O you may be right lmao

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

complaining that there wasn’t a thread instead of actually making one

Starting a thread is hard, right?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Mike N Eich posted:

Yeah but there's an actual economic imperative to do this with broadcast television: advertising. The more episodes the more chances for advertisers to get eyeballs on their products.

For subscription based programming like streaming sites and HBO, there's literally no reason for it. It's actually a net negative, because its costs them more money.

I mean its the same with Netflix except instead of ad dollars its about viewer retention. If viewers go tru your content too quickly they will cancel their subscription. And one 10 episode season is cheaper than 5 episode ones

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
cool there's a thread for this, I watched it ages ago.
I don't know that I've ever come across a show I hate so much but know I'll watch and enjoy every episode. what a flaming, fascinating pile of garbage.
but the ending basically wrote Hazel out of the show and killed Cha-Cha, so there goes a lot of my enthusiasm. Netflix should just give Cameron Britton his own series.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I enjoyed this show. Doom patrol does something kinda similar and is a better show, but this is still a good show and I'm definitely on board for season 2

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Diego looks like nick kroll batman

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
July 31st!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsigH18Brs0

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
An unexpected pleasure. I quite liked season one of this, having decided to watch it at random with no prior knowledge of the source material.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Hopefully they'll move past the exposition monkey appearing at least once an episode to tell us how their adoptive father was a very complex man.

Because, drat, that got old fast.

But, apart from that, I'm also looking forward to this show coming back. Interesting and distinct characters - which puts it apart from 99% of other 'super' shows.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I will not watch season 2 but I demand you keep my thread with this title

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

I will not watch season 2 but I demand you keep my thread with this title

and i oop

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Hopefully they'll move past the exposition monkey appearing at least once an episode to tell us how their adoptive father was a very complex man.

Because, drat, that got old fast.

But, apart from that, I'm also looking forward to this show coming back. Interesting and distinct characters - which puts it apart from 99% of other 'super' shows.

Remember they went back in time. Would be funny if he came out to do one of those reveals and they were all like "Yeah, we already know, gently caress him anyway"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I always felt like the characters in the show weren't really distinct as they were each the same character written in a slightly different way. Everyone has to overcome their neurosis caused by their broken upbringing to become a butterfly. When together, they just act like dumb assholes, which is the only real reason the show takes more time than a two-hour movie to resolve its plot. Along with that plot being absolutely predictable, it made watching the show a chore, as it's just endless sufferin' supers.

The setting also makes no loving sense from a technological perspective but one of the show's subplots involves time fuckery, so optimistically I suspect that will come into play.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Didn't know season 2 was so close, hell yeah

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Unlike I guess most people "a heavily traumatized group of people can't solve simple problems because their emotional instability has undermined any possibility of easy communication" is Extremely My poo poo so I'm super down for another season

Also iirc the cinematography was pretty dope and lot of sequences (especially ones involving hazel and chacha) felt a lot like everyone involved was just having a lot of fun with it, and I always enjoy the spirit that instills into media.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Of all the Toronto shot streaming shows, this is the most Toronto of them all. Basically every location we see in the city is I place I know. Except the donut shop, I think that's in the west end.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I enjoyed the first two episodes but I have to say for a comic book that was originally written by rock musician I’m kind of disappointed in the music.

I like MCM and I wish they could have just used WTTBP in the soundtrack but maybe that felt too navel gazing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dancing in the Moonlight is a forever bop, goddamnit.

That said I don't remember much other than that and Tiffany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
There was also this cover which was great

https://youtu.be/dCYtesyE7OA