Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Black Pants posted:

"There are mods enabled which do not have this version of the game listed in their supported-versions text file."

Why is Minecraft the only modded game where mods are normally separated by what game version they support anyway? And why won't Steam/NexusMods clearly note what version a given mod is for. I keep coming across neat-looking mods for like Stellaris or No Man's Sky and then discover they were last updated in 2016 or whatever only upon thorough examination.

Rimworld mods on the steam workshop have a version tagging system that seems to work well, it's baffling that more games don't do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Anno posted:

Somehow I've never encountered this event where a weird semi-AI/ghost character basically gives you Charlie Chaplin's speech from The Great Dictator. Is this in the base game? Or from an event mod I have?

...or maybe you should stop inhaling ether?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

The Vikings posted:

Just got back into this since apocalypse. Started a few games, where did all the space monsters go :( Barely seen anything in my large/huge galaxies where there used to be lots of drones, ameobas, space whales, etc. Any mods to boost those spawn rates back up?

My current game has heaps of them, and they all seem to be within my borders.

I've never seen a primitive, though. Is that a side-effect of being a killer robot, or is it just weird luck?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Taear posted:

While I definitely do like the relic worlds still I absolutely loving loathe how much time I spent messing around buying crystals or gas or whatever.
I know you can set it to auto trade but that doesn't feel like it fixes the issue for me because it just means I've got to balance everything around it and that's not how my brain works.

Sure I could sell 1000 minerals to buy 100 of each resource maybe but I can't work out the best way to do it, so I just do it ad-hoc.

I was losing in the realms of 35 crystals a month last game and it was just kind of annoying, getting enough to out produce that never seemed possible.

I wish the habitat or ring worlds or something had a job that made resources, they'd mean so much more to me if they did!

Also I seem to have got the old bug where when I click auto complete it's not upgrading stuff and I have to do it manually. I had level 3 guns for ages because I'd just not realised! It used to do that with armour all the time.
Are you playing modded? What buildings were you building that required so many Crystals? Were you out of building slots in your empire and thus could not build more Synthetic Crystal plants?

Krazyface posted:

I've never seen a primitive, though. Is that a side-effect of being a killer robot, or is it just weird luck?
It seems like it is weird luck because I have that setting to max and I never see 'em.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Anno posted:

Somehow I've never encountered this event where a weird semi-AI/ghost character basically gives you Charlie Chaplin's speech from The Great Dictator. Is this in the base game? Or from an event mod I have?

First, don't listen to skeleton warrior. Keep on inhaling ether. But that's from a mod...it's the Orilla event chain in Malthus's More Events Mod.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

skeleton warrior posted:

...or maybe you should stop inhaling ether?

Never!

Epicurius posted:

First, don't listen to skeleton warrior. Keep on inhaling ether. But that's from a mod...it's the Orilla event chain in Malthus's More Events Mod.

Great! Thanks. The payoff was...not the best, I guess. But it was a fun event.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

walruscat posted:

My race is gaia world and spiritual/xeno. Is this a sound combo? Is it still a good idea to spread to get more resources or should I limit the amount of systems I own to lower the sprawl modifier?

It's a fine ethics combo. Gaia world is a really annoying start though, since you probably don't want to go heavy in robots (for droids), so if you're going to play lifeseeded, you should have a particular start in mind.

Always spread out if there's anything worth taking, sprawl isn't that big a deal.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So what happens if you accept the Brain Slug union? I've never taken it because It feels like a trap, and I don't want to give unreasonably large subsidies to the brain slug homeworld.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Brain slugs are great. It's a decent bonus to research and unity and malus to growth. I think I take it every time I can just because the text box is "Let us open our hearts, and our brainstems, to them!" You can check the exact trait details here, on the wiki.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The growth malus is quite substantial, to the point where you probably shouldn't take it in the early game. However, the other buffs are great, and for an established empire it's a no-brainer.

Also, @Darkrenown, bug report: the Memorex modifier doesn't actually apply when you select it.

Edit: not a bug per se, but a documentation challenge: the dig text says you get the modifier in a way that implies it applies to your empire, but it actually only applies to your capital.

Aethernet fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 20, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Taear posted:

While I definitely do like the relic worlds still I absolutely loving loathe how much time I spent messing around buying crystals or gas or whatever.
For the relic worlds or the ecumenopolised ones or just in general? You can generate up to 30 (+modifiers) of any rare resource on any size 10 planet for 5 minerals (-modifiers) each.

My issue with rare resources is I was hoping they'd be used to differentiate empires rather than just being another economy checkbox.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
What do you pick as your first couple of Unity Traditions? I have always swore by Expansion, considering the bonus to your early game colonization and expansion, but I have also seen a ton of people who will make use of Discovery (it feels most effective at game start). IIRC, I don't think Discovery directly influences the new DLC that much directly, but I can imagine that having a ton of fast surveying ships to discover those archaeological sites probably wouldn't harm.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Thread hivemind is get expansion or supremacy depending on whether you prefer pop growth of pop theft because pops are king. There's at least one guy who argues for a splash of discovery and then expansion but either way you're looking at pops pops pops.

There's a conversation to be had about whether or not you finish the tree though.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I almost always go Supremacy. It's good for at least protecting yourself early game, and can also get more expansion done than Expansion if you know what i mean :hist101:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I should really go for a Supremacy opener one of these days, just to force myself into the mindset of conducting early wars and aggressively taking territory. Early warmongering is a concept which is really needed if you're doing a Devouring Swarm/Purifier as well.

In this current game I went Expansion as I felt a hivemind could benefit from the rapid growth, combined with (though it may not be a good idea at game start) switching on food policy toward max pop growth early on. Never done a hivemind before, and it'll be nice not to have to have a consumer goods world; a forge world entirely for cheap tat.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

Certain kinds of Stellaris mods don't need to be updated between versions and still work perfectly despite the launcher saying that they're out of date, which is fine if you're a normal human being who is OK with having to click one extra time to launch the game.
"I put a lot of effort into this name list, here I made it into a mod so we can use it in multiplayer."
"I don't know, it says it's out of date..."
"It's just a name list, it's going to be fine."
"Then why does it say it's going to cause issues with my game?"
"There's literally just a text file I didn't update with the current version number. I'm bad at this whole modding thing so it'll take some effort for me to figure out how to update it on the Steam Workshop."
"You don't know what you're doing? Maybe I should listen to this message that's saying it will break my game..."
"It's just a version number in a text file..."
"I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have a big red error message if that's all it was."
:negative:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The challenge with taking Supremacy early on default settings is that you're not guaranteed to run into someone else early, and you'll miss out on Expansion's benefits if you don't.

In a crowded galaxy go hog wild, though.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So Is there a maximum galaxy setting to consider to prevent the pops from killing the frame rate before end game?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Turning on planet automation (on Hive Worlds at least) doesn't seem to work very well. I've ended up with planet after planet filled with upgraded alloy forges without nearly enough people to work them resulting in my economy basically crashing as they suck pops away from basic resources.

Right now I'm looking at a size 15 planet with:

5 cities
7 generators
4 farming

a clone vats (that I built myself)
8 upgraded alloy forges
3 main depots
a confluence of thought
a sentinel posts (despite it having no crime problems)
and
an upgraded mineral purification plant for the Zero mining districts it built.

There are 30 jobs sitting idle! 30!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Are you playing modded? What buildings were you building that required so many Crystals? Were you out of building slots in your empire and thus could not build more Synthetic Crystal plants?

Not modded, and I'm not sure. Maybe commercial stuff? Things in ringworlds and ecumenopolises cost SHITLOADS of the rare resources though.
And yea, plus that's a lot of slots to use that takes time to fill up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Taear posted:

Not modded, and I'm not sure. Maybe commercial stuff? Things in ringworlds and ecumenopolises cost SHITLOADS of the rare resources though.
Interesting. I have not been able to play much since this most recent expansion but before that I never had a problem as long as I kept an eye on my expenditure of the rares and either didnt build the building that used them, or made sure I also built a building that produced them in parallel :shrug:

Aethernet posted:

The challenge with taking Supremacy early on default settings is that you're not guaranteed to run into someone else early, and you'll miss out on Expansion's benefits if you don't.

A lot of people recommend (drastically) increasing the amount of empires that spawn over the base settings because the galaxy can be so empty if you dont. If you play with base settings then yeah its probably a bad idea, but if you play with what *should* be recommended settings then its a fine pick, especially on harder difficulties.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Xerxes17 posted:

I almost always go Supremacy. It's good for at least protecting yourself early game, and can also get more expansion done than Expansion if you know what i mean :hist101:

You kinda really want the alloy discounts, if nothing else. You want that fleet out there NOW. Also a spare starbase is 2 Anchorages. That and a few Strongholds is a lot of capacity to fill.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Interesting. I have not been able to play much since this most recent expansion but before that I never had a problem as long as I kept an eye on my expenditure of the rares and either didnt build the building that used them, or made sure I also built a building that produced them in parallel :shrug:

Yea I never had any problems until the most recent patch, before Ancient Relics.
If you've not played since the recent patch Stellaris changes so much I really don't think you should be answering questions!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Taear posted:

Yea I never had any problems until the most recent patch, before Ancient Relics.
If you've not played since the recent patch Stellaris changes so much I really don't think you should be answering questions!
I have played, just not much...thats exactly what I said. Also I dont think I did much of answering questions? I simply asked you a question because I was curious what you were doing to have that problem, and followed up with a sentence about what I do to avoid the problem you had. The post of yours I quoted doesnt even have any question marks in it. I have not noticed a big change in how rares are spent (except with Ecu's) so unless I need a certain number of hours to see that change, I dont see why I shouldnt be curious about the problem you were having and shouldnt post what I considered a tiny piece of advice? I'm sorry I wasted your time, I guess? I dont know what you want me to say.

edit: re-reading your original post of yours that I quoted, you were complaining about having issues managing rares. I commented that I dont build something that spends them unless I also build a building that produces them because thats something I do and I find it very effective at making rares not be a headache (which is your complaint), and I felt like it might be advice worth sharing? So if you don't want people responding to your posts where you complain about an issue you are having with potential advice...

Taear posted:

I really don't think you should be posting!

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 20, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I have played, just not much...thats exactly what I said. Also I dont think I did much of answering questions? I simply asked you a question because I was curious what you were doing to have that problem, and followed up with a sentence about what I do to avoid the problem you had. The post of yours I quoted doesnt even have any question marks in it. I have not noticed a big change in how rares are spent (except with Ecu's) so unless I need a certain number of hours to see that change, I dont see why I shouldnt be curious about the problem you were having and shouldnt post what I considered a tiny piece of advice? I'm sorry I wasted your time, I guess? I dont know what you want me to say.

edit: re-reading your original post of yours that I quoted, you were complaining about having issues managing rares. I commented that I dont build something that spends them unless I also build a building that produces them because thats something I do and I find it very effective at making rares not be a headache (which is your complaint), and I felt like it might be advice worth sharing? So if you don't want people responding to your posts where you complain about an issue you are having with potential advice...

I dunno, why answer if you don't know for sure? If you've not played much since it changed, it's changed so your experience doesn't matter for it now. I get you just want to help but it's not helping because it's not relevant to the situation now there's been a change.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I miss brainslugs, I haven't had them in a while. I also like that, while becoming a cyborg (or is it becoming synths?) will remove it from your population, it won't stop it from popping up on your leaders.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Taear posted:

I dunno, why answer if you don't know for sure? If you've not played much since it changed, it's changed so your experience doesn't matter for it now. I get you just want to help but it's not helping because it's not relevant to the situation now there's been a change.
Ah, fair enough, the bolded text was a poor choice of words on my part. I spoke up because in my limited time since the change I still found my advice a useful rule to to follow, and I did not see or read about any changes (other than ecus) that would have me doubt it, but I could have phrased it better. I was trying to convey that "I have always found this to be useful and I dont see why now would be any different", but you are right that this patch did change things and if I have not done a full run yet I should be more careful about sharing advice.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

As Splicer said, it's best to designate a refinery planet or three and concentrate them on refinery construction. If you do this, by late game you'll have more rares than you could conceivably use, although there'll definitely be a midgame crunch.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The problem I find with planet automation is that they don't demolish buildings when they upgrade. So a forge world will build five foundries, then you research the upgrade, and it will upgrade them all rather than what I'd do is upgrade a couple, demolish the others and build something else I need. So you end up with 30 free jobs slots, an upkeep of a million rares, and the economy in the shitter.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

You loaded a save that as far as the game was concerned was set a thousand years in the past, then fast forwarded it a thousand years back into the future, and it didn't crash or corrupt your save. I'd say it handled it pretty well!

You're totally fine to change things in the defines, it'll just cause weird behaviour sometimes, especially if you change the number mid game. Which is normal. In theory the save process could store the initial defines in the save so changing the defines wouldn't impact existing saves, but then you'd lose the ability to test stuff in existing games by changing the defines. You wouldn't be able to load certain mods into existing saves. Maybe you'd prefer that, but each option is valid, and they went with the other one. Maybe they could have extended the faction conditions to "If >10 years have passed OR factions already exist... somehow" but that's overhead for a situation that would only exist if someone made a cosmetic change by directly editing the game files and then having them revert and then loading a save file from before it reverted which is so incredibly niche it would be very annoying to me personally if I learned my PC was wasting processing cycles on it.

It's a funny thing that happened because you were messing around in the have files as is your right, but it's a humorous vinesauce moment not an assault on your humanity.

e: it's the internet so you can read this in a hostile tone of voice but I'm really not :argh:ing at you. I understand your frustrated but life is better if you sit back and smile at your time travel shenanigans and the marauders' sudden OH poo poo THIS GUY EXISTS uh hire us please

Don't worry, I put a couple days in to cool down, now I think this poo poo was hilarious. :v:

And thanks to being steeled by playing Space Empires V a lot, the added micro from switching off automation didn't actually kill me. (Maybe I'll experiment with the individual planet AI later, if that stops the AI from building up food production on mining worlds and building useless mineral purifiers on agri planets.) So I'm seeing that particular problem a lot more mellow, too.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You're the reason why a lot of bug reports are treated with suspicion by the way; if you had mentioned in your first post about your "factions disappearing" that you had edited the start date then you'd have saved yourself a lot of time.

Yeah, in hindsight that was dumb from me. I'm just so accustomed to set up my own start date I just plain forgot that could be a problem. Until suddenly something went wrong.

Darkrenown posted:

Yes it does. I think you misread the post you replied to though. It's not about planet designation, it's about planet automation. Planet automation DOES overwrite sector automation, but sector automation does not care about planet designation if that planet is not automated.

Man thanks for the confirmation, that explains a lot to me. Welp, so I'll definitively not use the sector AI ever again, I guess. :shrug:

Splicer posted:

I wish there was a way to automate turning on discourage growth. I tend to consider most planets "done" when they hit 80 pops, it'd be nice if I could set a default threshold of something.

That's actually really smart, wish I thought of that. (I tend to try to squeeze everything out of a planet, then wonder why I have problems with overcrowding. Current run: I have multiple planets with 100+, and my capital sits at 130+ pops. :v: )

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Aethernet posted:

I think your concept matters a lot, too.

When I play devouring swarm, exterminators, or assimilators, I always open Supremacy because I'm going to conquor the heck out of the first neighbor I meet no matter where they are. If I'm off by myself it's not as good as having opened expansion but I can also just gobble up open territory until I find someone.

I was looking at the T1 ascension perks and thinking maybe it's a good idea to delay the first perk a little bit and just take the useful stuff from a couple of trees first unless you're trying to rush out Nihilistic Acquisition or something.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
I'm playing my first play through with the archaeology DLC, which has been super fun so far! I really enjoy the added events! I've started to be a bit more serious when it comes to what I do on planets after they're colonized. Is there a decent "build these buildings in an order" guide or are there just too many variables to make such a thing? I checked a few youtubes around playing the newest patch but I couldn't find anything substantial.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Man, getting the L-Drakes is such a disappointing outcome. I assumed they would eventually do something cool, but it seems they don't.

And to top it all off you don't even get to terraform the nanite worlds as far as I can tell? I think I'm missing the 'terraform tomb worlds' tech though, and that could be a requirement.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

twistedmentat posted:

So what happens if you accept the Brain Slug union? I've never taken it because It feels like a trap, and I don't want to give unreasonably large subsidies to the brain slug homeworld.

I've had the event but it always never gives me an option to take them, just the your scientists figured out how to prevent it thing or the crew dies thing.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

BrandorKP posted:

I've had the event but it always never gives me an option to take them, just the your scientists figured out how to prevent it thing or the crew dies thing.

That's Brain Parasites, Brain Slugs come from settling a planet which has a modifier, eventually you will start getting events explaining that 10/10 folks who were taken as hosts by the Goa'Old like it and leading up to a decision to adopt them for the whole empire.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

BrandorKP posted:

I believe that is a different event involving a Derelict Ship.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

Man, getting the L-Drakes is such a disappointing outcome. I assumed they would eventually do something cool, but it seems they don't.

And to top it all off you don't even get to terraform the nanite worlds as far as I can tell? I think I'm missing the 'terraform tomb worlds' tech though, and that could be a requirement.

You can tame them all and have a gaggle of tiny dragons at your command, which is quite cool.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Huh that would be why I've never gotten it then.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Aethernet posted:

You can tame them all and have a gaggle of tiny dragons at your command, which is quite cool.

I have never gotten that to happen with them, they just fly around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

binge crotching posted:

I have never gotten that to happen with them, they just fly around.

They usually settle down in a system and once that happens you get a special project on entering the system