Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

galagazombie posted:

I'd probably care more about shiny hunting if 3/4 of them weren't the same horrible shade of puke green. There's cool ones that work like black charizard or white Vikavolt, but mostly it's like Why would you want a Machamp that looks like he's about to vomit?

I still prefer those to the ones that barely look different and you can only tell the differences if they’re side by side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

SeANMcBAY posted:

I still prefer those to the ones that barely look different and you can only tell the differences if they’re side by side.

Yeah, gross green Espeon is still an improvement over slightly different shade of white Dewgong or slightly different shade of red belt Froslass.

We can all agree that gold shinies and pink shinies are the most valuable of all. I also enjoy ones that have the colouring of their counterparts or later/earlier stages, such as the male and female Nidoran lines having shiny colours corresponding to the other gender (except Nidoqueen who is puke coloured, obvs), Munna and Drowzee mirroring each other's regular colourations, regular /Alolan Muk and Grimer, and Medicham and Meditite.

I'm also tickled by Pokemon whose regular and shiny palettes swap at some point over the generations. For example, in G/S/C, Smeargle has pink paint on its tail and shiny Smeargle has green; in G3 it swaps so regular Smeargle is green and shiny Smeargle is pink. Paras similarly goes from red normal colouration and orange shiny to orange normal colouration and red shiny between G2 and G3.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Playing White 2, I'd initially planned on having a tirtouga on my team, because it's a cool fossil and I hadn't used it before. Only to realize, 3 gyms in, that in BW2, you only get fossils in the postgame, because gently caress you.

Currently attempting to breed up a replacement tirtouga in one of my other gen 5 games, because I’ll be damned if I’ll admit defeat - the only other water pokemon I'd consider using in Unova is Crawdaunt, and I'm not really feeling it.

I say “attempting” because if I’m breeding, I may as well check the IVs after it hatches, right? If I’m going to all this effort, it may as well be at least decent, right?

every single one with the ability I want has had terrible stats. like, straight up zeroes in attack or hp. :negative:

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

We can all agree that gold shinies and pink shinies are the most valuable of all.
possibly my favorite shiny pokemon is milotic. I got it from an event way back when and the gold scales are loving gorgeous :swoon:

also, re: shiny discussion - my first non-event shiny was in gen 6, a shiny torchic I got while breeding up my first competitive grade pokemon. Not terribly rare, considering the masuda method, but I wasn't going out of my way for it or anything, so still felt pretty great.

my second and third shinies happened a while later, while I was playing through soul silver. I stumbled across a shiny ratatta, and then while still on the high from catching that, I ran across a shiny flaaffy on the same route.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

I must have pulled an amazing seed in OR because my list of natural shinies include: Wynaut, Magicarp, Drifloon, Mawile and Octillery.
I also caught a shiny Remoraid while trying to chain fish for something else.

Compare this to UM where I'm trying to breed a shiny Eevee. I have the shiny charm, have been using the Masuda method and I got 600 eggs deep before taking a break for the last... two months because of my lack of luck.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

My list of shinies is

- Shiny Gardevoir.

I mean I got super loving lucky, it's a timid nature with Trace, so it actually became part of my team, but yeah. That's my only shiny over all the games.

I saw a shiny sandcastle in Moon, but ran out of balls trying to catch it because all my poke-luck was spent on the Gardevoir.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

as a kid i grinded out a shiny vulpix on the duskull cemetery island which is insane to me now

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Never seen a shiny, but I've probably not had the amount of hours into the games outside of Gen 1 that most of y'all probably have had.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I probably had the shortest ‘too old for Pokémon’ phase ever. It started sometime after playing (and enjoying) Silver and lasted all the way until I saw some other kids playing Ruby/Sapphire and decided, “Actually, these games look cool as hell”

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I've never caught em all. That's my shameful reveal about pokeymans. Not even in Gen 1. Never caughtemall.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The only shiny I ever encountered apart from the red Gyarados is my shiny Tsareena who hopped out of some grass in my Ultra Moon game a few months ago.
Thankfully shiny Tsareena is fuckin gorgeous and she is the queen of kicks. I called her Gloriana.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

HopperUK posted:

The only shiny I ever encountered apart from the red Gyarados is my shiny Tsareena who hopped out of some grass in my Ultra Moon game a few months ago.
Thankfully shiny Tsareena is fuckin gorgeous and she is the queen of kicks. I called her Gloriana.

My team in Sun was pretty close to what a Pro Wrestling themed team would look like with Incineroar, Tsareena, Machamp and Magnezone for special effects. I could never nail down the last two spots because I could never feel satisfied with the coverage so it was always rotating list, though Mimikyu stuck around for a bit.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

My first ever shiny was Vulpix in Soulsilver. I still have her today. I do wish Alolan Ninetales' Shiny looked as different as normal Ninetales though.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I had a couple of lucky egg hatches give me shiny Litten and Alolan Vulpix. Wasn’t even trying for them, they were both only like 15 eggs in.

The only shinies I’ve caught in the wild were a Graveler (had damp Psyduck with me, switched him in immediately) in Y and Taillow in AS, which was a wonderlocke run so I had to break the rules and keep him. Green Swellow is cool, and survived the entire game to become part of the champion team.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.

FerociousStrike posted:

They're really his! They did a collaboration with him a couple Halloweens back.
https://www.pokemon.jp/special/kowapoke/

oh gently caress oh god oh man

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My natural caught shines:

Platinum: Roselia and Starly only 24 hours apart, both while training up some Pokémon.
HeartGold: Golbat in an ice cave.
Ultra Moon: Pelipper on Poni Island

Other shinies:

Red Gyarados
Chained for shiny Shinxes, have the whole line as shinies
Chained for shiny Ponyta
Friend chained for shiny Corsola (I gave her one of my Ponyta)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ada posted:

RIP that little girl.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I caught a shiny ponyta in FireRed. Then nothing until my playthroughs of Sun where I got a shiny Ratatta and a shiny Exeggucute my first time through, then a shiny Mudsbray and Rufflett my second time through. Shiny mudsdale looks like a giant carrot which is hilarious, shiny braviary is loving beautiful and majestic

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

-Crystal: shiny Venonat. The last random shiny I'd see in years, and I couldn't even keep it, sigh. Also shiny Elekid from the Day Care egg but I think that has a higher shiny rate.
-Fire Red: saw a shiny Unown, couldn't catch it.
-Y: shiny Smeargle from Friend Safari. Named it HELL YEAH! because I had finally gotten a shiny after so long. Followed by a shiny Druddigon from Masuda method eggs.
-OR: saw a shiny Skarmory, ran out of balls. I curse my luck to this day.
-Sun: shiny Golbat in the Ghost Trial.
-UM: shiny Barbaracle from Ultra Wormhole. Couldn't get another shiny to spawn but...one is one.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The only wild shiny I've ever run into that wasn't Red Gyarados was a shiny Haunter in Sun.

I've played literally every game :negative:

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

I got super lucky last Gen and got a shiny Mudkip for my Alpha Sapphire starter without trying (no soft resets or anything).

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I'm incredibly lucky when it comes to shinies as I've amassed over 30 of them over all the games I've played. Many of them either caught in the wild or I've bred them accidentally. Two days ago I got a shiny Girafarig by breeding the egg in Omega Ruby and trading it over into an Alpha Sapphire game for a playthrough. It hatched normally in the Omega Ruby, but it ended up as shiny completely by accident in the Alpha Sapphire game.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

My natural caught shinies:

Y: Goomy, Skiddo
Go: Aron, Houndour, Latios(!!!), Magikarp
Ultra Moon: Graveler-A

E: also, this seems relevant

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 20, 2019

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Seems like some of you peeps skipped the Shiny Haxorus you can find in BW2. Love my goth knife dinosaur.
That game was where I also found my first non-scripted shiny: A golden Scrafty :3:
Then XY was a cornucopia of shinies: Lampent, Dragalge, Hawlucha, Honedge... I also hatched a shiny Snivy completely by accident.
I don't think I've found one yet in Gen 7, sadly.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Internet: Look at what Yokai Watch 4 is doing. Why can't gamefreak do that?

Yokai Watch 4:
https://twitter.com/koutaro559/status/1141626153800589312
https://twitter.com/asuya6631/status/1141708617311145984
https://twitter.com/koutaro559/status/1141703632699572225

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Watch out! She's t-posing to establish a pecking order!

As for shinies, I never caught/saw any outside of events. But in a recent US run, I got a shiny slowpoke and a shiny pikipeck. Toucan shiny is awesome.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Ah, yes, the head-sticking-out-of-the-sidewalk yokai, very traditional. And T-Pose Girl, one of Japan's greatest folk tales.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Things that shouldn't be in S/S. Having to sit through an unskippable cutscene on every loving route.

Remember how one guy on a Stoutland kept you from progressing, even though there's enough room to get around him without issue?

The Akala island trials should've been able to be completed in any order and the levels change according to which trial has been passed

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ada posted:

The Litwick and Chandelure are even worse.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Ah, yes, the head-sticking-out-of-the-sidewalk yokai, very traditional. And T-Pose Girl, one of Japan's greatest folk tales.

lol I legit thought that was a head walking around yokai til you said that.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

Remember how one guy on a Stoutland kept you from progressing, even though there's enough room to get around him without issue?

"You can't come this way until I finish finding all the hidden items!"

Man gently caress you buddy.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Vinylshadow posted:

The Akala island trials should've been able to be completed in any order and the levels change according to which trial has been passed

They really need to go back to the model that they kind of had with RBY and GSC, and open up the game world to let you progress through the main gym challenge (or whatever) in any order.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Chill Penguin posted:

They really need to go back to the model that they kind of had with RBY and GSC, and open up the game world to let you progress through the main gym challenge (or whatever) in any order.

Yeah! I sure want a world without a level curve again, that was so much fun in GSC!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Is there a Wizards Unite thread?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Jaxyon posted:

Is there a Wizards Unite thread?

what’s that, a skulk of Delphoxes

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Gruckles posted:

"You can't come this way until I finish finding all the hidden items!"

Man gently caress you buddy.
I understand why they gated you off - and it's no different from the psyduck/crustle/clowns/whatever in previous games, really - but I say this from the bottom of my heart: gently caress that kid

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Isn't the point of Drifloon that it's TRYING to be a child stealing monster, but it's so comically inept and bad at it it can't succeed?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nodosaur posted:

Isn't the point of Drifloon that it's TRYING to be a child stealing monster, but it's so comically inept and bad at it it can't succeed?

"Stories go that it grabs the hands of small children and drags them away to the afterlife. It dislikes heavy children. If for some reason its body bursts, its soul spills out with a screaming sound."

"Its round body is stuffed with souls and expands each time it leads someone away. Wandering souls gathered together to form this Pokémon. When trying to make friends with children, Drifloon grabs them by the hand."

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I love ghost types because they tend to be the most clearly dangerous and scary pokemon. Like how Mimikyu curses you to death if you see what is under their cloth. Feels so out of place with how friendly everything else tends to be presented in Pokemon. And despite this some people will keep a Mimikyu as a pet.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

About Froslass, the Pokédex posted:

It freezes hikers who have come to climb snowy mountains and carries them back to its home. It only goes after men it thinks are handsome.

same tbh

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Tir McDohl posted:

I love ghost types because they tend to be the most clearly dangerous and scary pokemon. Like how Mimikyu curses you to death if you see what is under their cloth. Feels so out of place with how friendly everything else tends to be presented in Pokemon. And despite this some people will keep a Mimikyu as a pet.

Ghost types are my absolute favorite type because there's not a single one I don't love dearly. Also Mimikyu doesn't curse you to death, it's appearance is so eldritch and terrifying that one glance causes shock or cardiac arrest and then you die. Also people keep as a pet because it wants to be a pet, it dresses up because it's lonely and wants to be loved. Part of why it's so charming.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Drawing pokemon from memory by MAMETCHI

Perfect for a fangame, I imagine

Armored Serperior is rad and I'd love to see a throwdown between Deoxys and Ultra Necrozma