Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Skratchez posted:

I used to love it when I was younger, saw it in theaters, owned the soundtrack (Thanks Mr. Reznor for introducing me to Leonard Cohen) but watching the opening "comedy" scene with Rodney Dangerfield and Juliette Lewis is now a lot harder than it was. :shrug:

I still think that Woody Harrelson was cast in "The Highwaymen" to make an interesting bookend to his role in NBK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Just finished that Street Fighter Black Mirror and boy that one is very bad. I'm curious where Black Mirror goes in a world where Twilight Zone is back and is mostly pretty okay.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Maybe they were using the game correctly after all. Game designers in the future make it so you can have sex in every game because that's what I they figure you want to use every game for that anyway instead of playing it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If instead of Streetfighter it was like, Battletoads or something it would be my favorite episode.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Just watched the 6 ep "season" of How to Sell Drugs Online (Fast) on Netflix and I thought it was really good. It has a lot of really special moments that kind of elevate it from being just a goofy series. The dubbing is horrendous, though.

Re: Scanner Darkly - I was waiting for that to get back on a service. It's such a good flick to rewatch.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 17, 2019

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Terminal autist posted:

Too Old to Die Young Nicholas Refns show came out on amazon prime yesterday. Its really self indulgent and if you've seen his other movies hes really just treading the same ground but man theres some impressive shots in there

I'm the world's biggest Nicolas Winding Refn fan, so I was pretty hype for this. If I'm being perfectly objective, the first two episodes (only ones I've seen so far) are the NWR-est indulgences ever. Extremely slow, lots of characters looking off not answering questions, lots of glacial pans... He gets 90 minutes an episode but it could've been a tight 45 minutes and lost nothing.

And yet I still really like it, just on a personal aesthetic level. I love his weird eye for shot composition and the dreamy tableaus he creates.

I would say if you enjoyed ONLY GOD FORGIVES but thought it could be paced even slower, you'll like TOTDY. But I wouldn't blame anyone for tappin' out. I hope it picks up speed soon.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I just watched Crashing on Netflix. Not Crashing the HBO show with Pete Holmes, but rather Crashing the British show with Phoebe Waller-Bridge of Fleabag fame.

It's about a group of people who live in an abandoned hospital. I'm not really sure what point the setting served to the story, but it was very funny.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

mary had a little clam posted:

I'm the world's biggest Nicolas Winding Refn fan, so I was pretty hype for this. If I'm being perfectly objective, the first two episodes (only ones I've seen so far) are the NWR-est indulgences ever. Extremely slow, lots of characters looking off not answering questions, lots of glacial pans... He gets 90 minutes an episode but it could've been a tight 45 minutes and lost nothing.

And yet I still really like it, just on a personal aesthetic level. I love his weird eye for shot composition and the dreamy tableaus he creates.

I would say if you enjoyed ONLY GOD FORGIVES but thought it could be paced even slower, you'll like TOTDY. But I wouldn't blame anyone for tappin' out. I hope it picks up speed soon.

Man I'm only two episodes in as well, and I feel like I've been watching it for weeks. I feel like Refn is just daring me to turn it off when the dialogue averages out one sentence per three minutes. I'll hang for another episode or two to see if anything big happens.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

The first seasonseries of Fleabag is pretty great TV. I love the fourth wall play, and the problems are earnest and immediate, while also being humorous and sort of silly. I'm about to move on to the second series, looking forward to it!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

bort posted:

The first seasonseries of Fleabag is pretty great TV. I love the fourth wall play, and the problems are earnest and immediate, while also being humorous and sort of silly. I'm about to move on to the second series, looking forward to it!

I liked the second series even more than the first!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Sarchasm posted:

I liked the second series even more than the first!

Same!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Does Too Old to Die Young pick up at some point after the first 2 episodes? I mean, I know the actual pace of the individual scenes themselves probably doesn't change, this is Refn after all, but just in terms of plot movement? Because the first two episodes had hardly any plot development whatsoever. Especially the second episode.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Joe Chill posted:

The ending to A Scanner Darkly is sadly beautiful, especially with that end text.

I stopped liking Requiem for a Dream after I rewatched it not long ago. I guess my taste in movies changed or something but I found it to be way over the top with melodrama and sensational.

A Scanner Darkly definately held up better.

Requiem is extremely after school special

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Requiem for a Dream was one of my favorite movies when I was 14.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Requiem for a Dream blew my mind back when I thought Mallrats was the funniest movie ever made and my only mode of transportation was a BMX bike.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 19, 2019

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

veni veni veni posted:

Requiem for a Dream blew my mind back when I thought Mallrats was the funniest movie ever made and my only mode of transportation was a BMX bike.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Soooo.... When you were 14?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
The last time I saw RfAD was with Trainspotting as a double feature. Looking back we should have watched Spun too

I've seen em both enough by now that I don't feel the need to see either ever again. I did enjoy them but I liked Trainspotting more

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I'm happy to report that TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG gets very funny and almost Twin Peaks S3ish starting in Episode 4. I don't expect you to invest 270 minutes in the first three eps if you hate it, but if you're worried it doesn't pick up, I'm loving E4. Take that as you will

bort
Mar 13, 2003

:same: Truly unbelievable television. I've grown so disillusioned with the current state of dramatic TV, and comedy practically doesn’t exist anymore. Great starts have stopped following through, and the need to make more when a show is successful tends to ruin what begins strongly. Fleabag is twelve perfect episodes. I want more but I'm delighted I can’t have any.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

mary had a little clam posted:

I'm happy to report that TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG gets very funny and almost Twin Peaks S3ish starting in Episode 4. I don't expect you to invest 270 minutes in the first three eps if you hate it, but if you're worried it doesn't pick up, I'm loving E4. Take that as you will

Nah, I definitely don't hate it so I'll keep going. Just wanted to know what I was in for more than anything else, but I'm glad to hear that things get a little more eventful as it goes on.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Well poo poo now I regret only watching episodes 1,2 and Final. Back to 3 it is I guess.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I was going to make a joke about how I Am Mother is like a really dark remake of 13 Again but then I remembered that was Jennifer Garner and not Hillary Swank.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, those with The Criterion Channel will want to check out the Columbia Noir before the films leave on June 30. Every single one has been a lot of fun, though I skipped a few I've already seen.

My Name is Julia Ross (1945, Joseph H. Lewis) - Tense, relentless "gaslighting" noir. Barely over an hour.
So Dark the Night (1946, Joseph H. Lewis) - Kind of falls apart at the end, but still a clever dream-like noir. Also only an hour long.
In a Lonely Place (1950, Nicholas Ray) - Bogart as a washed-up screenwriter caught up in a murder. One of Bogie's best performances and Gloria Grahame is amazing, too.
The Big Heat (1953, Fritz Lang) - Essential noir with Glenn Ford and Gloria Grahame, plus Lee Marvin as a vile heavy.
Human Desire (1954, Fritz Lang) - Another good noir with Ford and Grahame, remake of Renoir's Le bete humaine.
Drive a Crooked Road (1954, Richard Quine) - Outstanding noir with Mickey Rooney as a lonely mechanic. Also has Kevin McCarthy as a delightfully evil heavy.
Nightfall (1956, Jacques Tourneur) - Interesting noir with Aldo Ray that plays with non-linear plotting. Rudy Bond is an evil sonofabitch in this and gets quite an amazing fate.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Watched the first several episodes of Jessica Jones, man, the JJ people really can't make interesting villains after Kilgrave.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Aggretsuko season 2 was good. The episodes go by so quick that we practically binged it all last night. The humor is still good, the characters are still fun and interesting, but by the end of the season I think I was disappointed about a few things. The way they set up Anai as a character, I was convinced that this season was going to be about harassment in the workplace. I was hoping that new guy would get his just desserts, but for some reason he disappeared from the show after episode 5. Also, I was REALLY hoping that Tadano would end up being convinced to marry Aggretsuko, or that she would be convinced to be ok with him. Their chemistry was just so good, and I wanted to see it continue. I should know, though, that with shows like these you can't expect things like that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea so Too Old to Die Young definitely picks up in episodes 3 and 4. Very much interested to see where this is all headed now.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Lycus posted:

Watched the first several episodes of Jessica Jones, man, the JJ people really can't make interesting villains after Kilgrave.

Honestly JJ season 1 wasn't that good. Yes Kilgrave was interesting, but him and his powers were wasted by the writers. Also those 13 episodes were the longest 13 episodes I ever watched in my life. I did for a second think about watching season 2 (maybe they corrected what I didn't like about season 1), but when I saw it was again 13 episodes I was like no thank you.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

nate fisher posted:

Honestly JJ season 1 wasn't that good. Yes Kilgrave was interesting, but him and his powers were wasted by the writers. Also those 13 episodes were the longest 13 episodes I ever watched in my life. I did for a second think about watching season 2 (maybe they corrected what I didn't like about season 1), but when I saw it was again 13 episodes I was like no thank you.

Huh, couldn't disagree more. JJ S1 might be my favorite Marvel show or movie outside of Legion. It was fantastic to see a feminist take on the formulaic, male dominated, testosterone-fueled comic book genre. The fate of the universe wasn't on the line, just a baddie who was essentially a stand in for the Boogeyman so many women have dealt with. A series that focused on the aftermath of abuse and the struggle to find yourself afterwards was way more than I ever expected from Marvel.

I consider it in the same way as Westworld when it comes to its follow up seasons; for both shows S1 executed its sorry so well and accomplished the full portrayal of what the show was actually about that any subsequent seasons can't help but disappoint.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

regulargonzalez posted:

Huh, couldn't disagree more. JJ S1 might be my favorite Marvel show or movie outside of Legion. It was fantastic to see a feminist take on the formulaic, male dominated, testosterone-fueled comic book genre. The fate of the universe wasn't on the line, just a baddie who was essentially a stand in for the Boogeyman so many women have dealt with. A series that focused on the aftermath of abuse and the struggle to find yourself afterwards was way more than I ever expected from Marvel.

I consider it in the same way as Westworld when it comes to its follow up seasons; for both shows S1 executed its sorry so well and accomplished the full portrayal of what the show was actually about that any subsequent seasons can't help but disappoint.

For the reasons you stated and positive reviews by critics I was super excited to watch it. I hate how every comic book movie has to put (as you say) 'the universe on the line' as it's plot, and I thought at times the show did a good job when it dealt with deeper issues like control and abuse. That said it ran over the same ground one too many times for me, and it became boring. It suffered from lets make a movie into a 13 episode series. Still I thought there was some good parts in there. All they had to do was lower it to 8 episodes or try to do some episodes that were more standalone. Why couldn't have seen JJ spend an episode that had nothing to do with the main plot? Some of best the serialized shows do it all the time.

That said I don't like marvel shows outside of Legion. Also I thought season 1 of Westworld was the most overrated show I watched since...well season 1 of JJ. So I guess not my cup of tea in the end.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
JJ season 1 was fantastic

JJ season 2 I noped out of about halfway through, and my need to finish it before going to season 3 is probably what will keep me from watching season 3

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Halfway is more than I could make it through JJ season 2. I turned off and never looked back once I saw the final scene here https://youtu.be/qLTS6H09Z4U

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

InterrupterJones posted:

Aggretsuko season 2 was good. The episodes go by so quick that we practically binged it all last night. The humor is still good, the characters are still fun and interesting, but by the end of the season I think I was disappointed about a few things. The way they set up Anai as a character, I was convinced that this season was going to be about harassment in the workplace. I was hoping that new guy would get his just desserts, but for some reason he disappeared from the show after episode 5. Also, I was REALLY hoping that Tadano would end up being convinced to marry Aggretsuko, or that she would be convinced to be ok with him. Their chemistry was just so good, and I wanted to see it continue. I should know, though, that with shows like these you can't expect things like that.

I agree about your first point. I see what they were going for with Anai and that people respond better to encouragement rather than just criticizing them when they screw up. But it ended up just saying the best way to get your psycho coworker to stop harassing you is to act like his mommy, which is stupid. I’m glad she broke up with Tadano though even though I liked the character, rich tech dudes are just weird.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

regulargonzalez posted:

Season 1 had too many instances of people doing dumb stuff so the villain could escape again. It should have been a tight ten episodes. I feel similarly about season 3 so far, I'm maybe nine episodes in.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Season 1 had too many instances of people doing dumb stuff so the villain could escape again. It should have been a tight ten episodes. I feel similarly about season 3 so far, I'm maybe nine episodes in.

S3 is basically 75% yelling at one character to just stop loving up and they keep loving up. "I told you about powers bro, I told you".

It's good otherwise for some character development aspects but I feel like it let 1-2 of the sideplotlines just drop without good resolution or hints that it would go forward from where they were. Malcom and Hogarth both kinda ended on down notes but not really in a way that they learned or changed, nor in a way that hinted at anything changing for them after, seemed like the writers just decided to end their stories without a conclusion.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Just finished Good Omens. I'm not sure why I watched it all... I think I really wanted to like it but it was never as amusing or clever as it seemed like it thought it was, to me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man the overboard remake is bad

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

veni veni veni posted:

I didn't know such a thing existed. I mean I love Anna Faris and all but you can't do better than Kurt and Goldie ffs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Turns out sexual abuse isn't funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Her and the amnesia guy are both pretty enjoyable but the script is just atrocious and they have zero chemistry.