Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Zzulu posted:

The issue with The Terror is that most of it isn't about the monster but then it suddenly is about the monster AND the monster is just a really fat bear which is less than interesting. Despite this, the show was still good because of how different it was and because it rested on the shoulders of awesome actors

Yeah, this was it. I would have preferred if it was more understated, like they think there's a monster for a while but it's really just a suspicious series of animal attacks maybe brought on by the curse. The more interesting stuff by far was the insanity and the men starving and turning on eachother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I like the show a lot, so it was probably me who recommended it. It shifts genres around a few times, which I think people found off-putting, it initially presents as Nordic noir, but shifts into sci-fi, and then slasher horror, with hints of cosmic horror all the way through. Which is presumably where it's going in its final season. So if it isn't initially working for you, and I'm guessing from your post that it isn't, it might work for you by the time you get to later episodes.

I finished S1 and I think the thing that stuck in my craw was the constant odd dumb things the characters did. A prime example being when PHD dude was in the hospital room with the infected woman, knowing that there was a possible contagious thing going on, standing there open mouthed calmly watching for several minutes as wasps hatched from her body, never once cluing the woman outside the room what was happening, waiting until a literal swarm came out of the sick lady's mouth and started stinging him before even backing away. Then there is the sheriff who's character seems to not make a move to do anything before a long time of oddly grinning and staring off into space Then there is the spanish woman who is all around annoying as everliving gently caress. It just added up to such non-human-like nonsense overall. The only character enjoyable to watch was Eugene Morton, and he ended up killed off prior to the season end.

As someone who lives in a place where it gets down to negative double digits, I also took issue with people talking about -30 but walking around with faces and hands exposed. Never once did I get the impression that any of the characters were ever actually cold. A kid walking around for an extended period with only pajama bottoms on is going to have a bit more to worry about than his feet.

Started watching S2 last night and kind of lost much motivation to continue it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I think it's somewhat telling how the best scene with the monster was the marine ambush party getting wrecked but it didn't even directly show the monster.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And that the absolute scariest scene, Collins' trip underwater, took place before the monster was even introduced. I hope they lean more into the tone and having a variety of spooky imagery in season 2 rather than relying on one monster.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That trip under the ice was truly terrifying. Especially since the guy was scared and he should have been used to being underwater.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

That trip under the ice was truly terrifying. Especially since the guy was scared and he should have been used to being underwater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYg8rEDT1RU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The dive scene was very atmospheric. One of my favorite scenes. The monster being a polar bear would have worked, their paranoia and fear making it "a monster," but when it became a bear-like spirit with a stupid face it stopped being scary and started being silly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

wormil posted:

The dive scene was very atmospheric. One of my favorite scenes. The monster being a polar bear would have worked, their paranoia and fear making it "a monster," but when it became a bear-like spirit with a stupid face it stopped being scary and started being silly.

This is how I felt. If it was just a hungry polar bear that they were freaking out about, that would have been neat. But instead it was some weird monster with a weird face that had magical "can't die" powers.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

wormil posted:

My headcanon is that the appearance was from the lead-addled minds, but I would have probably preferred a straight up man-versus-nature tale with this cast...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Even if it is a monster, there needs to be a way for them to stop it, if only temporarily. That scene where the monster rips through their camp and nothing they do even phases it pissed me off beyond belief. An unstoppable monster isn't scary as a viewer. I just go into "I guess they will all just die until the monster gets bored and leaves" mode. If the monster was ripping people apart, but they were able to shoot it enough times to scare it off, that would have made things much more tense for me. There has to be some way for the characters to win, no matter how difficult it is.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

The monster is even more op in the book.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Cojawfee posted:

Even if it is a monster, there needs to be a way for them to stop it, if only temporarily. That scene where the monster rips through their camp and nothing they do even phases it pissed me off beyond belief. An unstoppable monster isn't scary as a viewer. I just go into "I guess they will all just die until the monster gets bored and leaves" mode. If the monster was ripping people apart, but they were able to shoot it enough times to scare it off, that would have made things much more tense for me. There has to be some way for the characters to win, no matter how difficult it is.

This too. When there's no way to stop the monster, then the characters no longer have much agency of their own. Either it'll kill everyone or it won't, but none of the characters are going to be able to do anything to affect the outcome so why do I even care what they're doing right now?

I guess covering yourself with forks and letting yourself get eaten is the tuunbaq's only weakness.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Phenotype posted:

I guess covering yourself with forks and letting yourself get eaten is the tuunbaq's only weakness.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

nooneofconsequence posted:

The monster is even more op in the book.

I find myself liking the book a lot more in regard to what the bear is and how the story goes.
(Even stuff like how in the book it is kind of realized that the bear seems to target officers from Caesar's boat.)

To this day I am not at all certain how the bear was killed in the TV version.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 4, 2018

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

If the monster was ripping people apart, but they were able to shoot it enough times to scare it off, that would have made things much more tense for me.

Is this not what keeps happening?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Crimpolioni posted:

Is this not what keeps happening?

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but to me it seemed like them shooting it did absolutely nothing and it left on its own.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I remember being surprised when watching at how much they were at least seemingly able to hurt it, compared to in the book. Pointing out how it's bleeding after they get it with the cannon, etc.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Hasselblad posted:

I find myself liking the book a lot more in regard to what the bear is and how the story goes.
(Even stuff like how in the book it is kind of realized that the bear seems to target officers from Caesar's boat.)

Well the book mentions the prophecy that the coming of the white men will destroy the world of the Inuits in time. The ice will melt, the animals will die, etc. I don't remember what it said about the fate of the Tuunbaq specifically, but I took his death in the show as a way of highlighting the immediacy of the effect of the coming of the white men. Sort of contemporising it. The white men are here. The world is changing. The ice is already melting.

nooneofconsequence fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 4, 2018

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Hasselblad posted:

I'm pretty sure it was consuming hickey's nasty rear end soul that made it sick after already taking in a bunch of less lovely, but still bad, white guy souls

It's been a while obviously but I feel like there was an extra to the finale with cast and crew that pretty much said it was like that.

Not sure how I feel about that, but it makes as much sense as anything with a magical polar bear monster

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Eating all those muttonchops prolly gave ol' Tunbaaq a case of lead-poisoning, too... :barf:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Iodised QQ posted:

I'm pretty sure it was consuming hickey's nasty rear end soul that made it sick after already taking in a bunch of less lovely, but still bad, white guy souls

It's been a while obviously but I feel like there was an extra to the finale with cast and crew that pretty much said it was like that.

Not sure how I feel about that, but it makes as much sense as anything with a magical polar bear monster

So basically akin to Goldblum giving the aliens a virus in Independence Day?
Bleh.

Well the book mentions the prophecy that the coming of the white men will destroy the world of the Inuits in time. The ice will melt, the animals will die, etc.

Tupac caused ice to grow increasingly southward so it could travel there to eat all of the animals and men (in the book). The shaman made a deal with the bear to stop doing that. I don't think it targeted white men specifically, but rather non-shaman and those not protected by them. It was free to eat whatever walked into the territory set aside for it.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 5, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Hasselblad posted:

Bleh.

I think it was also implied that consuming poisoned/sick crew and Blanky's fork defense had already weakened it. I seem to remember Crozier suggesting something along those lines.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Hasselblad posted:

Bleh.

Tupac caused ice to grow increasingly southward so it could travel there to eat all of the animals and men (in the book). The shaman made a deal with the bear to stop doing that. I don't think it targeted white men specifically, but rather non-shaman and those not protected by them. It was free to eat whatever walked into the territory set aside for it.
He may not be targeting white people but the coming of the white people signal the end of their world.

I found the text:

More or less what I remembered, except it does explicitly say this will follow the Tuunbaq's death.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

He may not be targeting white people but the coming of the white people signal the end of their world.

I found the text:

More or less what I remembered, except it does explicitly say this will follow the Tuunbaq's death.

It should have been strengthened by the chad Blanky soul. :colbert:
Maybe what truly bothers me is that Blanky couldn't kill it, but Hickey's soul could. poo poo just aint right.

(Makes me glad that tuunbaq doesn't die in the book.)

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 7, 2018

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Hasselblad posted:

Tupac caused ice to grow increasingly southward

He could affect the weather, but not the bullets

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
My take was that the Tuunbaq seems to be getting visibly weakened by its injuries and the poisonous effect of eating the British over the course of the show, it has to retreat for a good long while after it gets hit with the cannon, and by the end it's basically picking off the weak and isolated, rather than tearing through trained marines like paper. It dies at the end because it's been injured dozens of times, poisoned, ate chad blanky and his sick fork suit, and then finally eating an extremely corrupted soul and a big old chunk of metal chain is enough to finish it off.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

So what's the ETA on the new season?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Hasselblad posted:

So what's the ETA on the new season?

"2019."

:shrug:

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Quick teaser came out last weekend - show is back on August 12th.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Chernobyl is basically The Terror season 2, right down to Jared Harris telling everyone it's actually all hosed.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Season 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqNbAxvNElU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

:hmmyes:

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I hope they do a good job paying respects to the history of that time like they did in season 1 and it's not just a monster movie. And I say that as someone who had no idea season 1 had a monster in it but ended up loving its inclusion.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Martian Manfucker posted:

I hope they do a good job paying respects to the history of that time like they did in season 1 and it's not just a monster movie. And I say that as someone who had no idea season 1 had a monster in it but ended up loving its inclusion.

It has George Takei in it, and he was in an internment camp, so I'm sure he would make sure it's accurate to his experience.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Cojawfee posted:

It has George Takei in it, and he was in an internment camp, so I'm sure he would make sure it's accurate to his experience.

Yeah, this is the only reason I am down for this, especially in the current political climate. If Takei balks in any way about the production: I'm out.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I thought Chernobyl was the Terror season 2...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

a mysterious cloak posted:

I thought Chernobyl was the Terror season 2...

It is known.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
My local museum is hosting an artifact exhibition from the John Franklin expedition. Really fortuitous timing as I watched Season 1 after becoming aware of it via Chernobyl. Looking forward to visiting it soon!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Anti-Hero posted:

My local museum is hosting an artifact exhibition from the John Franklin expedition. Really fortuitous timing as I watched Season 1 after becoming aware of it via Chernobyl. Looking forward to visiting it soon!

Post pics. tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Anti-Hero posted:

I want nothing less than a mummified leg in a stocking and shoe.