Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Yeah I didn’t say anything because that drill looks so weird to me. It may be standard for Europe. Also a non moving table is scary to me. Like no option of drilling holes in long/thick items. The spec sheet looks like it’s powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bosch doesn’t usually make junk so maybe it’s fine/better, but it sure is funky looking. The thing that stands out most to me is that the throat/distance from pillar to drill chuck looks pretty narrow? But maybe it’s fine too. I’m not sure I’d like the handwheel with no spokes to really lever with as needed either.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I'd be most wary about dealing with digital and the potential for failures within that system. Also if those lever locks in the video are plastic that seems like a potential point of failure. It looks like a sweet hi tech machine and is probably pretty amazing to use but for me I tend to lean towards older, more simple machines that I may be able to fix if/when something goes wrong.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it looks weird, I'm a sucker for heavy old tools so I'd look for a good used meddings or similar, but I understand not wanting to deal with the crapshoot that is used tools.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It does seem to be a little divisive in the reviews but if it's that or a 1 ton steel beast that I have to haul around I'll go for the weird one. It seems to be top of a bunch of top 10 lists for the DIY / low-end trade market.

Buying it local (with a 3 year warranty) means I'll be able to deal with servicing if it actually gets into trouble.

I'm going to keep an eye on nearby used stuff but that's been a complete bust for other tools and I'm not super keen on buying used if I've never used/owned that class of tool before, since I can't really know what "good used" means.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

The wheel for lowering the drill looks really awkward to use to me. I've only ever seen presses with spokes. I feel like it complicates the movement and reduces leverage, especially with a wheel that small.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
You can always just install a steering wheel suicide knob on it. Id be more worried about the chatter and tolerance in the head.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Is there a reason why there aren't table saw fences available made for something like this?

https://youtu.be/21u4bou930w

I assume there must be something decidedly unsafe or another huge flaw for someone not to just market a fence with a cutout for the blade and raised outfeed, but I'm not seeing it.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Bob Mundon posted:

Is there a reason why there aren't table saw fences available made for something like this?

I assume there must be something decidedly unsafe or another huge flaw for someone not to just market a fence with a cutout for the blade and raised outfeed, but I'm not seeing it.

I’ve been looking at these DIY table-saw-as-a-jointer setups myself, and I’m guessing it’s because it’s difficult to control for different saw blade designs, difficult to properly align the height (especially on cheap table saws as I’m learning) and the challenge that some doofus will eventually use this thing with a misaligned blade and fence setup, and it’ll kick the fence add-on back into his/her face, making the manufacturer ripe for lawsuits. Also, all the designs I’ve seen use cheaper wood and are easy to DIY at home (you already have the tool necessary to make one), so there’s probably not much reason to make or sell it.

Here’s a simpler design I’ve seen online, but it does make you reverse-feed the sacrificial fence which seems sort of sketchy.

Personally, it seems like a bitch to set up and dial in, but if you’re doing a lot of joinery at once it’s probably well worth the time doing so compared to buying a jointer.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I think in general the jigs are okay, but the chance for danger is there since you are keeping something pressed against the blade. Not that a jointer is the safest thing in the shop either.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Holy poo poo if that jig comes loose

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bob Mundon posted:

Yeeeesh. I guess it works? Jointers are super sensitive to the cutterhead being perfectly aligned with the outfeed table, so seems like it would be a pain to have to set up every time you want to use it. Trying to run anything less than about 2’ long through there seems like certain kickback and a very nasty day.

I can’t see that it has any advantage over a much simpler, safer straight line ripping jig except that you can theoretically face join narrow stuff? But in a really dangerous way. Try something like this instead:

https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/tablesaw/straight-edge-cutting-jig

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeeeesh. I guess it works? Jointers are super sensitive to the cutterhead being perfectly aligned with the outfeed table, so seems like it would be a pain to have to set up every time you want to use it. Trying to run anything less than about 2’ long through there seems like certain kickback and a very nasty day.

I can’t see that it has any advantage over a much simpler, safer straight line ripping jig except that you can theoretically face join narrow stuff? But in a really dangerous way. Try something like this instead:

https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/tablesaw/straight-edge-cutting-jig

That style of jig can also be used as a tapering jig too, so it'll serve multiple purposes.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

there are a ton of videos out there of how to square a board using just the table saw with no jigs. Its not hard.

Honestly though if you have a lot to joint and no jointer then just have the yard s2s your boards and then use the planer and table saw to finish it.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Figured there was a reason for that, thanks for the sanity check.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Local tool place has a category on their website called Pandora's Box.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Jaded Burnout posted:

It does seem to be a little divisive in the reviews but if it's that or a 1 ton steel beast that I have to haul around I'll go for the weird one. It seems to be top of a bunch of top 10 lists for the DIY / low-end trade market.

Buying it local (with a 3 year warranty) means I'll be able to deal with servicing if it actually gets into trouble.

I'm going to keep an eye on nearby used stuff but that's been a complete bust for other tools and I'm not super keen on buying used if I've never used/owned that class of tool before, since I can't really know what "good used" means.

Re drill presses:

This one is pretty good for the money. I've got it at work and its pretty sweet for making holes.

https://www.lowes.ca/drill-presses-lathes/porter-cable-15-in-floor-12-speed-drill-press_g1191502.html

I guess this must assume you'll be able to find it across the pond.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

While we’re on the topic, I figure I might as well brag about the drill press I picked up the other week:

A Tomlee Tool model 75. Looks like it’s from the thirties or forties. Motor is more recent, 1/4 HP. My needs are pretty light at the moment, so this is just about perfect, and only $40.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

good jovi posted:

While we’re on the topic, I figure I might as well brag about the drill press I picked up the other week:

A Tomlee Tool model 75. Looks like it’s from the thirties or forties. Motor is more recent, 1/4 HP. My needs are pretty light at the moment, so this is just about perfect, and only $40.

That’s glorious for the red, exposed drive belt alone.

Please be careful with hats, hair, etc. :ohdear:

coathat
May 21, 2007

Ryobi are really trying to make 18v tools for everything

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

coathat posted:

Ryobi are really trying to make 18v tools for everything

No flashing light? :mediocre:

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

JEEVES420 posted:

No flashing light? :mediocre:

That's only available on the 40V model.

I had mentioned getting an electric Husqvarna mower a few pages back...I was at Costco the other day and I found a 56v Jonsered mower for about $100 less. Anyone have experience with Jonsered products? I know they're owned by Husqvarna...any good?

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
I have a jonsered fr2113 MA 4x4 from around 2007, that I use in our 6000 square meter garden. Love it to bits, very sturdy build.

One day the hydraulic transmission will die and I will be a very sad, and much poorer, panda.

protectionfault
Jun 28, 2019

Ripoff posted:

That’s glorious for the red, exposed drive belt alone.

Please be careful with hats, hair, etc. :ohdear:

It should actually have a weird half-mushroom cover on the front to make it at least very slightly harder to rip your scalp off, but I guess it's gone missing at some point. You should probably make a new one up, even a hunk of plywood is better than nothing. That bolt sticking out of the front is what held them on.

protectionfault fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 28, 2019

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I'm cleaning out my grandfather's garage. While doing so, I found these. Does anyone know what they are?

They're pretty heavy. I was thinking they might be temporary ladders or something? Stair cleats for ice?

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 2, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
They remind me of a tool you can use to rip weeds out of the ground, which is basically like a single "rung" from one of the things you photographed, stuck on the end of a pole. How big are they?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
They look like something you could put under a wheel maybe to get traction in snow?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

armorer posted:

They look like something you could put under a wheel maybe to get traction in snow?

They are this. you put them under your wheels to get temporarily unstuck.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MRC48B posted:

They are this. you put them under your wheels to get temporarily unstuck.

Yep, this. And JerikTelorian, those are freaking awesome. If you don't want those someone will. Very badly. Hang on to them.

I'm not saying that they are worth much, but they are very cool old school car guy stuff.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

That makes a ton of sense. Thanks!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I have some plastic ones, they don't fold up all awesome like that. A little jealous.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Hello goons, i wanted to talk to you all a little bit about tools. The last time you had the distinct regret of reading my posts, I was dealing with the miasma of loving horrid mechanical engineering known as fluid fittings. Lest you electrically inclined think that you're in the clear, let me disabuse you of that fact right the gently caress now.

Here's today's totally hosed circumstance: electrical contacts.

This is an example of an electrical contact: .
You typically crimp these with crimpers like these:

You'll note that the crimpers have interchangeable crimp jaws/dies. Each contact manufacturer has a slightly different crimp jaw for each of their contacts, with the theoretical exception of military contacts, which should meet a military standard and be interchangeable between companies. Should. SHOULD..

This marks the jumping off point of my descent to hell.

I'm not even going to complain about how I have Amphenol crimp dies that shear the contacts in half unless used on Molex branded contacts, or a Molex mini-fit crimper that doesn't actually loving fully crimp the goddamn contacts, that I can basically attribute to wear and just lovely, lovely design. No, that would be a reasonable complaint about tools in the tools thread. Today, I am going to complain about how two different sets of MIL-5015 crimpers somehow are A-OK on crimping ITT Cannon MIL-5015 contacts, but somehow work-harden and break the wire when crimping GlenAir contacts. Of course I have run out of contacts for the connections I need, and of course getting them here this week is basically a wash without paying out the rear end for overnight due to the Fourth. Of loving course a pair of pliers seems to loving work fine with the contacts I have left instead of the purpose-built, correct tool.

gently caress connectors!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tim Thomas posted:

You're gonna get me going on a Cat 7a/8 connector rant soon.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Tim Thomas posted:

Hello goons, i wanted to talk to you all a little bit about tools. The last time you had the distinct regret of reading my posts, I was dealing with the miasma of loving horrid mechanical engineering known as fluid fittings. Lest you electrically inclined think that you're in the clear, let me disabuse you of that fact right the gently caress now.

Here's today's totally hosed circumstance: electrical contacts.

This is an example of an electrical contact: .
You typically crimp these with crimpers like these:

You'll note that the crimpers have interchangeable crimp jaws/dies. Each contact manufacturer has a slightly different crimp jaw for each of their contacts, with the theoretical exception of military contacts, which should meet a military standard and be interchangeable between companies. Should. SHOULD..

This marks the jumping off point of my descent to hell.

I'm not even going to complain about how I have Amphenol crimp dies that shear the contacts in half unless used on Molex branded contacts, or a Molex mini-fit crimper that doesn't actually loving fully crimp the goddamn contacts, that I can basically attribute to wear and just lovely, lovely design. No, that would be a reasonable complaint about tools in the tools thread. Today, I am going to complain about how two different sets of MIL-5015 crimpers somehow are A-OK on crimping ITT Cannon MIL-5015 contacts, but somehow work-harden and break the wire when crimping GlenAir contacts. Of course I have run out of contacts for the connections I need, and of course getting them here this week is basically a wash without paying out the rear end for overnight due to the Fourth. Of loving course a pair of pliers seems to loving work fine with the contacts I have left instead of the purpose-built, correct tool.

MiniFit, or MiniFit Jr? I've got a good crimper for the Jrs. And Molex SL. And JST-PHD, and..... several thousand dollars in tooling later.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

sharkytm posted:

and..... several thousand dollars in tooling later.

The tools have now gone walk-about and are no longer anywhere you have access to, so now you try to make the lovely crimper work, break half the connectors, and order a replacement pair of $200 crimpers, only to find that they now no longer work either.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The tools have now gone walk-about and are no longer anywhere you have access to, so now you try to make the lovely crimper work, break half the connectors, and order a replacement pair of $200 crimpers, only to find that they now no longer work either.

I work for myself, so they don't go anywhere. I do admit to buying used off eBay regularly. I pull-test them when received, in my defense. gently caress paying $500 for that JST crimper that only works on one size of the PH-D Pin. $220 used from eBay was bad enough. It's no wonder small-volume stuff is so expensive, there's no economy of scale to take advantage of.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Jaded Burnout posted:

You're gonna get me going on a Cat 7a/8 connector rant soon.

Y’ALL MOTHERFUCKERS WANNA HEAR ABOUT THE loving STRAIGHT HORSESHIT THAT ARE FIBER CONNECTORS

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yep

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Does anyone do fiber while not using a fusion splicer and pre-made connectors anymore? I learned the manual way for the Ctech cert, polishing the glass and stuff, but I haven't encountered any of our people doing anything but the fusion splicing kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stuxracer posted:

Does anyone do fiber while not using a fusion splicer and pre-made connectors anymore? I learned the manual way for the Ctech cert, polishing the glass and stuff, but I haven't encountered any of our people doing anything but the fusion splicing kits.

I sure as hell hope not. I've certainly never seen it in the last.....10 years?.....as someone who ONLY knows the old school way to do it (when that's all there was) and has only observed fusion splicing.