Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw will be out one day and it will be the Freelancer/Privateer clone we always wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sure, you're right. I don't think about E:D as multiplayer, as I never played it that way. I thought more about the sense of scale, really.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Elite Dangerous has the best combat and flight model of any space game I've played, including Freespace 2. It's big and empty, but you don't need to explore those empty areas. You can just hang out around cool asteroid fields with glowing stars as background light while getting into dogfight after dogfight. Elite has a lot of fun in it, but you need to go out and get it. It reminds me of Morrowind in that sense.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

chaosapiant posted:

Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw will be out one day

Allegedly.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

pixaal posted:

Part of what makes x so great is the amount of mods and how you can tailor the game experience to exactly as you want it. You can't do that with online play.

Elites online may as well not exist, really. I've never bothered with it. But E:D is dead straight boring in a lot of ways.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

E:D was definitely a regretted purchase for me. While the dogfights are cool and the flight model is nerdy as gently caress, it was during a break I was taking from X3 Litcube that I thought I could replicate what I wanted in E:D.

Turns out running those rare trade routes over and over again wasn't actually any fun at all.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I had a decent amount of fun with E:D but uninstalled the instant they started in with all the Engineers bullshit.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I'm really interested in the game but after 16 hours of playing when it released I've decided to shelve it until they add more content to the game.

I'm particularly concerned about end-game content. I've seen many posts saying how that once you've reached the top and have lots of money and ships there isn't really anything to do with them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's kinda always been the case in X. If anything there's more for you to do in this game cos you could conceivably just declare war on people and take over their poo poo. That's never been in an X game before, at least not as a native feature.

I haven't used them but there are mods which add more territory to the game so I would imagine if you install them you would be able to carve out your own little empire somewhere if you wanted to.

My complaint is more that the game doesn't really present you with threats or reasons to do that other than your own sociopathy. By default the xenon are quite well contained but again you can mod it to change that. If you took the base game and randomized it a bit to add pockets of xenon in a bigger, wilder universe it'd show its strengths more.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

yeah, the x games have never really natively had a reason to have big fleets or an empire or an endgame like that. X4's sin in this regard is probably its pretty easy to get to the endgame point compared to previous games (imo).

The map is truely X4s biggest flaw though. There's no badlands between empires, or war zones, or dead space or anything. HOP and PAR literally have a highway to eachother. (????). And some weird choices like a xenon gate 2 inches from the Teladi capital (with little apparent defensive measures.) They should make an official mark 2 map, even if its not save compatible.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Can't wait for an eventual Litcube-esque mod for X4.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Does anyone else have to constantly baby their autotraders/miners or is my game bugged? Like 50% of my ships are constantly "stuck", either they are empty and do absolutely nothing and have to have their orders reset or they are stuck with a full inventory of either unsold goods or even mined resources which I need to drop, then they start working again.

Like I had 0 helium in one of my stations, I take a look at my helium miners and they are ALL just hanging out in space with full inventories of helium. I then have to drop the inventory and they immediately start mining again and supplying my station.

I don't have any mods but my save is from the release.
Edit: I have satellites around all stations.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 11, 2019

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Never had that problem. It should work fine regardless of satellites.

In x3, if the cpu was too overloaded ship scripts would sometimes crash or just turn off, which would cause ships just to sit in space in sector. Its possible you are running into a problem like that if your CPU is being redlined.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Have we heard any noise about mods, modules or plugins? I have a 5 split and boron 3DSmax ship models that I'd like to see if I can find a way to work into the existing gameplay

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

PoopinClumpin posted:

Have we heard any noise about mods, modules or plugins? I have a 5 split and boron 3DSmax ship models that I'd like to see if I can find a way to work into the existing gameplay

Yeah, I also have all of the xtra ships exported to .dae for blender, I just have not got around to doing much with them,
although there are some new ships added, I think Brummbear on the ego discord is the guy to see, there are also some tools for imp/exp from blender, however the x/y/z polarity is a smol problem with blender.

My plan was to learn how the paint channels all work, and re-introduce the Kha'ak ships from xtra as a foe, plus, maybe beef up the choice of xenon with drones using the xtra pack's models, same with kha'ak, the l+xl ships would be ok as medium sized ships, and plenty of love for the smaller details.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

yikes sorry we know both "Staberind" god i wish we could have fun in that Ian M banks just fun edit the old "Goons and guns" motto was "no zakalwes"

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 20, 2019

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

What I meant to say is I'm such a laffo time wasting geek that My own 3dsmax models should fit in perfectly with a split or boron motif. I have 4 different organic style "Boron" ships as I look back at X3 and five aggressive style Split ships. Split needs more aggressive fighters than anything else. Klingon + Stealth fighter Of course I've sent them to Bernd months ago not that I hope they use my designs, just that I hope they bother to include Split and Boron ships at some point AT ALL. X4 will not last if Split and/or Boron do not come in contact eventually. edit::: and we know the game will not last if they make it as difficult as it currently it for clowns like myself to include any random spaceships. WE all love new spaceship design. LOL Christ roberts has made an obvious triangle fraud out of the aerodymanics of fun spaceshits. That doesn't mean we can't all have some other actually fun space game. These germans are so innocent that they haven't figured this out in 23 years.

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 20, 2019

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey so I bought this when it came out, only to hear it was buggy and content light, so I shelved it until further notice.

I was gonna pop in today and ask if things were more fleshed out, but it looks like it's still lacking?

I've never played an X game, would there be "enough" for a complete series noob, or would my lack of context/past experience make the lack of content *more* stark rather than less?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Annath posted:

Hey so I bought this when it came out, only to hear it was buggy and content light, so I shelved it until further notice.

I was gonna pop in today and ask if things were more fleshed out, but it looks like it's still lacking?

I've never played an X game, would there be "enough" for a complete series noob, or would my lack of context/past experience make the lack of content *more* stark rather than less?

Its not really buggy, especially by the standards of previous X games. If you a totally new to the series the learning curve alone is going to take you a long time to figure out. There is still plenty of stuff to do in game, the only part that is truly lacking is in the endgame. Building your empire and a giant fleet to go along with it are still perfectly fun. Its also a lot less frustrating to do this time around. The real issue is that there isn't really anything to do with your giant fleet and unstoppable production behemoth once you have them.

For some perspective I got bored of the end game and still have 132 hours played on steam. I've done multiple playthroughs of Mass Effect 2 and "only" have 127 hours logged in that game.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Its not really buggy, especially by the standards of previous X games. If you a totally new to the series the learning curve alone is going to take you a long time to figure out. There is still plenty of stuff to do in game, the only part that is truly lacking is in the endgame. Building your empire and a giant fleet to go along with it are still perfectly fun. Its also a lot less frustrating to do this time around. The real issue is that there isn't really anything to do with your giant fleet and unstoppable production behemoth once you have them.

For some perspective I got bored of the end game and still have 132 hours played on steam. I've done multiple playthroughs of Mass Effect 2 and "only" have 127 hours logged in that game.

Yeah this exactly, the problem (from old guard) with it is that we exchanged what normally is a very buggy release historically from this game company with one that was actually pretty stable; but somehow they have delivered a stable game this time alone? So now we're all ( I think) most ongoing fans being happy about how they've improved the game graphically, sonically and to an extent logistically, but maybe they did not push quite as much long term Game play material or as far as I can tell , modding options, into the game as Lots would generally have liked. I put hundreds or perhaps thousands of hours into X3 and the expansions, but I feel like I don't know what to do now since 3 of the usually-included races for this game universe just aren't there.

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 26, 2019

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Is there any new content planned? I just got a new PC and really miss playing X games, so I was considering getting X4.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

a7m2 posted:

Is there any new content planned? I just got a new PC and really miss playing X games, so I was considering getting X4.

There's multiple planned expansions, and X: rebirth got a ton of content free, there is a history of long term support. It's safe to say you will have a thousand hours in content in a year or two.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Supposedly they're expecting one more patch between 2.5 and 3.0 and 3.0 I think is supposed to be the one that is concurrent with the first expansion.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Supposedly they're expecting one more patch between 2.5 and 3.0 and 3.0 I think is supposed to be the one that is concurrent with the first expansion.

Yeah this is all the egosoft forums is talking about if you filter thru the bullshit. I guess Split race is more or less guaranteed and some story element for the Boron vs. Paranid. I just hope it fleshes out the game in a way that we can mod-in more stuff. edit: I wonder how the Split Mamba will work out. It was the only agile fighter in early X3 with a rear turret with mass driver to shoot at enemies or missiles.

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 13, 2019

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Expansion huh? That sounds like the time when I may finally give this game an honest shot. Maybe after the first post-expansion bugfix patch. I played at least a thousand hours of X3, and was burned by rebirth. I am always hankering for more X, but I know how much extra time it takes for their games to really mature.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

So far I'm still a bit upset that they have not exposed a modding method. I am not sure but I think python is scripting basic player parts of the economy. If that's true then I can't see any reason that egosoft wouldn't expose more fun parts. They we're restricted in X2 days by 32bit proc, but c'mon guys, let the gamer create some amazing things. We all want this to be a fun space sim.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Trailer for 3.0 dropped - and it's probably the worst trailer Egosoft has ever made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC-s7fAhdyw

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've been holding off on the game for ages because of an apparent lack of things to do with your fleet once you get it going; is that still true?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

What's so bad about it? The split ships look cool and it seems to say the map is getting larger which is what a lot of people wanted.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think what would be most cool is if they fixed the economy (so that it functions in the long term)

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

big nipples big life posted:

What's so bad about it? The split ships look cool and it seems to say the map is getting larger which is what a lot of people wanted.

It just looks like an intern made it. They've done better jobs in the past.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The editing is bad, not the content.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thom12255 posted:

It just looks like an intern made it. They've done better jobs in the past.

They supposedly have no marketing team so its literally "programmer art"

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Not x4 but is anyone playing spacebourne? It's been getting a ton of updates since it hit early access, and is developing into a pretty good game! Lots of dogfighting and does have an rpg type campaign. Definitely worth a look.

Pretty crazy what one person can accomplish.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/732240/SpaceBourne/

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Thom12255 posted:

Trailer for 3.0 dropped - and it's probably the worst trailer Egosoft has ever made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC-s7fAhdyw

The split ships look great, and that black hole sector is a cool set piece even its a little low rez. Hoping "Major Story Update" means there is actually going to be a plot this time.

I have to say I am confused by Design your own stations, because you can already do that in the base game.

Shalebridge Cradle fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 7, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hell yeah I love those split designs. Also hell yeah they made some cool sector backdrops.

Definitely feels like the art design's gotten better. Hopefully there's plenty of new sectors.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I hope there is plenty of *empty* sectors. That is, space that isn't owned by any of the different empires.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom
Unfortunately there is no detailed change log for pre 3.0/DLC. I have doubts that they will fill the narrative void or content void. There is just nothing to do unless you invent your own adventures.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eh, that's kinda always been true in X though. The plots were nice but they mostly just served as a nudge to play with the mechanics. I would like some missions that make big fights but I'd probably prefer if the war system was more free to create that kind of content by itself. Which as noted should be quite possible if there's more neutral or contested territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Been playing this for a few hours and I have a few questions:

Is there a way to have your weapons auto fire on your target without having to fire themselves manually?

How about the same but giving the command to your fleet?

In weapon configuration, what does it mean to check the little boxes there? I can't figure out what it actually does?

Do missiles have homing functionality?

Is there a better way to search for quests like the main questline that aren't going into search mode and trying to find a particle effect?

What does searching actually do other than make those easier to find?

I got a pirate to eject from his ship, and then I took it, told my pilot to fly my Elite Venture (starting ship) back to Black Hole Sun, flew this ship back, and now I have two, but I don't know really how fleets work.

How exactly do I get licenses to unlock other ships and stuff? I know I can only buy new ships from Spaceyards and Wharfs, but some of them are locked.

I'm trying to craft SETA and I'm missing just one component, is there a location that sells the parts?