Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh poo poo.

Teej and Christian looked pissed lmao.

Christian actually thought that titty vampire would win when Cleen did like a half body piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I'm genuinely please Cleen won. He seems like a genuine, decent guy and I couldn't see him lose out on a win for a 3rd time.

TJ seems like a cocky prick and I'm glad he got turned the gently caress out by Tony.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Wish the finale was just Oliver Peck at the craps table for an hour or more.

Producer: Peck let's go, we 're about to start the live show!
Oliver (raspy hoarse shout): Start the show without me I'm on a hot streak.

hottubrhymemachine posted:

I'm genuinely please Cleen won. He seems like a genuine, decent guy and I couldn't see him lose out on a win for a 3rd time.

TJ seems like a cocky prick and I'm glad he got turned the gently caress out by Tony.

TJ either overthought it or, away from his coach he forgot the lesson he'd learned all season. He started out the season making detailed black & gray illustrations but towards the end he got the hang of the sticker look the judges wanted and rewarded, but then went back to his 'comfort zone'. It's great work but Tony OTOH remembered the advice he'd been given and produced a bold, clean, bullet proof tattoo.
Plus his matador suit was baller.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 20, 2018

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
So glad that Tony and Cleen won!

I'm disappointed they didn't reveal the theme for next season. I wonder if that means they aren't going to have returning artists because they love trotting them out at the finales.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Guess they could give Christian another shot at it till he wins. I thought Christians tattoo looked ugly myself.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

TheDon01 posted:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh poo poo.

Teej and Christian looked pissed lmao.

Christian actually thought that titty vampire would win when Cleen did like a half body piece

Yeah clean laid in a solid and huge piece and Christian drew jack material. The winner was obvious

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

Guess they could give Christian another shot at it till he wins. I thought Christians tattoo looked ugly myself.

Please no. I never want to see Christian again. I thought his drawing was fine but Chris was right about not enough black and in general I didn’t like the colors he chose.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
This is the first finale in a while where I wasn’t mad at who won! Christian is such a whiny dick that I couldn’t not root for Cleen and his team.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yup Cleen has always been the better artist, I’d say they’re about even on application. I wasn’t expecting Tony to even come close but he obviously learned something neither Teej and Tiffer could.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

How much time is there between the episode deciding the three finalists and the finale?

I was kinda diggin' on Tony's mariachi suit.

Also, who was that really mouthy guy on Team Christian with the skull tattoos that wouldn't shut up during the 'jury of peers' bit? I feel like he went out so early I don't even remember him.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Austin? The guy who fluke won on Angels to get to the main show and they wouldn’t get rid of him even with all his lovely tattoos.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I agree Cleen is the better artist and I'm glad he won. I liked Tony's tattoo better than Teej but I wouldn't have begrudged it either way. If Teej had a solid tat instead of that wispy smoke, it might have gone a different way. Tiffer's tattoo was well done but the colors were a tad weak but then again they can make it look anyway they want in post. I paused on one of the turtle tattoos as it was "fading in" and it still had layout lines and was washed out, next pic it was rich with lots of contrast, probably oiled but also the colors were punched up.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Austin? The guy who fluke won on Angels to get to the main show and they wouldn’t get rid of him even with all his lovely tattoos.

I had to look up the contestants; the guy I didn't remember was 'Gonzo'.

He was eliminated in the second episode.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

I had to look up the contestants; the guy I didn't remember was 'Gonzo'.

He was eliminated in the second episode.

That dude looks like a giant toddler

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Well, now they can bring Tiffer back for their next poorly-conceived veteran season/twist, so I'm guessing they're all pretty stoked about that.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
The right people won. I thought every tattoo was really well done and visually awesome, but the best were able to shine above. Cleen being a four time loser would be unfortunate. He really deserved the win for that chest into the leg.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
That was a satisfying finale, it felt like the right tattoos won.

LOL @ Christian for spending hours upon hours doing all the fine filigree on the vampire's lacy bustier but hardly bothering on her face at all. I guess we know where he thinks the focal point of the image was. :v:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
There are 10 minute youtube videos of all the final 35 tattoo sessions.

spoiler: Teej's canvas cain't take it and wanted to quit, y'all. Other spoiler: Teej's NC accent seems to come out more when he's back home.

Teej
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=innKHHo_9TE

Tiffer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEYliDFi54k

Tony
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yogITUOUco

Cleen Rock One
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPFkBqXNUA0

Christian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCboq1uYhhs

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

TheDon01 posted:

That dude looks like a giant toddler

LOL. That's exactly what I said when he showed up on screen in the finale 'Who the Hell is that giant toddler?'

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LadyPictureShow posted:

LOL. That's exactly what I said when he showed up on screen in the finale 'Who the Hell is that giant toddler?'

He makes me think of ultimate muscle roller legend for some reason

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

If Christian's model wears shorts or longer pants, you'll never see the vampire's face.

(it was a real dumb placement)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
My emotional journey today:

1) Oh sweet, the new season of Ink Master started, I didn't even know it was coming! :dance:

2) Wait, mens teams vs womens team battle of the sexes? Well okay, maybe it won't be too lovely ... :raise:

3) UGHHHHHH IT'S EVEN SHITTIER THAN I COULD HAVE EXPECTED :gonk:

I know that most of that team sledging crap is for the benefit of the camera in order to create "drama" but loving hell, why is anyone creating a reality TV show which deliberately features so much misogyny in this day and age? Especially when some lovely dude is making a bunch of lovely comments to his buddies and no one calls him on it so he just gets away with it even though they bitch him out for other stuff.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
Ugh. I haven't watched it yet because I also didn't know it started last night so I should probably wait to comment but oh well.

All I am hoping for this season is another female inkmaster and even if this format is a terrible idea, I think it gives them the best chance. The only season where that happened was the "Angel" season and it was because they all realized they have to work together or it just won't happen.

Plus we all get to see Kelly again so it can't be all bad, right?...please :(

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Yeah that was aggressively bad. You can tell Hawaiian shirt guy was getting fed those awful lines by producers too. You could hear in his voice how little confidence he had in those bits.

Wtf were they thinking with this

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Did they not do an Angels season?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Did they not do an Angels season?

Nope. The second angels season came pretty hot on the heels of the first one so maybe the hosts needed a break? They are all pretty busy.

fistful of hammers
Nov 11, 2011
I got through the first half of the new episode and gave up. I'm bummed because Jake Ross is a local artist (NE Ohio goon here) and he does really phenomenal work, but I just can't stomach all of the fabricated poo poo-slinging and misogyny. I wish they would stop doing themed seasons with teams and get back to the normal format.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Not gonna happen unfortunately.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Yeah this show really doesn't seem to be about tattooing all that much anymore. The "transgressive" nature of tattoo, rather, seems to be used as a pretext to prompt a bunch of adults to act like high school freshman and do awful "monkeys standing in a circle screeching and waving their arms" level drama nonstop.

Also when did they switch to always giving Dave a vote instead of him just being a tie breaker?

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.
I thought he's always had a vote, he just usually gets stuck between Nuñez & Oliver (& typically sides with Oliver).

Also, based on this article, I'm not sure Angels is coming back, which is a shame, but... Who's ready for more Cleen in a new show? (Not me.)

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/paramount-expands-ink-master-two-season-renewal-spinoff-series-youtube-channel-1203206539/

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

fistful of hammers posted:

I got through the first half of the new episode and gave up. I'm bummed because Jake Ross is a local artist (NE Ohio goon here) and he does really phenomenal work, but I just can't stomach all of the fabricated poo poo-slinging and misogyny. I wish they would stop doing themed seasons with teams and get back to the normal format.

I just fast forward through all of it till the reviews/critiques portions of each episode. I try to avoid all the drama best I can

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

My only thing to say aside from Pon being the stereotypical misogynist douche will make me :rolleyes: non-stop is...

I love any time Creepy Jason and Pon are talking to each other and the camera keeps cutting between them, I like to imagine it's the same guy, like a dude playing twins in a lower-budget film.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I would love this show so much more if it was just a show of tattooing skill, no ‘reality’ drama bullshit.

Sadly, that means I only enjoy about 10 minutes of content per episode. On this plus side, I just skip through the rest and only watch the actual tattooing and judging.

Women vs Men is a lame format and it needs to go back to all v all.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Digital Jedi posted:

I just fast forward through all of it till the reviews/critiques portions of each episode. I try to avoid all the drama best I can

Exactly this. I like to pause on each tattoo and we give our own little critique, listen to Nunez because he's the only judge that can articulate why something is good or bad, then FF through the after drama.

I really liked the girl's tattoos, middle and right. I liked the middle men's tattoo and especially the watercolor blood (Nunez can eat a dick) although the triangles were weird and out of place and the stake or whatever was crooked.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Women vs Men is a lame format and it needs to go back to all v all.

I agree. I really hate the "battle of the sexes" poo poo and I could do without the awkward drama. Just show me tattooing.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
Wow unfinished tattoo getting tattoo of the day? Unheard of! Dave seemed pissed.

There were so many bad tattoos in this episode but I think Jaz was saved by Elva leaving. Sorry Joey?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Fru Fru posted:

Wow unfinished tattoo getting tattoo of the day? Unheard of! Dave seemed pissed.

There were so many bad tattoos in this episode but I think Jaz was saved by Elva leaving. Sorry Joey?

The big dude with the ugly skull tattoo deserved to go home, so did the dude with the ugly skull and crow. And the girls bombed across the board, not a single tattoo worth having.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
I always debate making a new thread and figure nobody's watching, and then I check it again and it's blown up with 14 posts.

Yeah, sucks for Joey, especially since Ryan's coaching in the challenge was basically, "They're all good, just pick one." I think the unfinished win was justified given how smooth that black and grey really was. Across the board it just felt like nobody knew how to blend.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Mustache guy: When you start a tattoo it needs to be good in every aspect, we don't judge only the best parts of it.
Also Mustache guy, moments later: Part of your tattoo is unfinished but you win today anyway.

In this battle of the sexes the 3 male judges wbould rather change their own stated standards than let the women's team have 2 consecutive wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Caring about consistency in Inkmaster judging is a surefire way to make you hate yourself for watching this terrible television show.