Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bobby Digital posted:

Is this the thread for general plane chat? I finally get to fly on the upper deck of a 747 and I am excited :neckbeard:

It's a bucket list item for me as well, but I've heard you feel the turns more because you're higher above the center of gravity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bobby Digital posted:

Is this the thread for general plane chat? I finally get to fly on the upper deck of a 747 and I am excited :neckbeard:

It is, welcome friend

Was it a -400 or a 8i?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I got to ride on both in the back via Lufthansa. The 8i was quieter but DLH had nicer IFE on the 400.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

It is, welcome friend

Was it a -400 or a 8i?

It’s a 400 on BA, Heathrow to Riyadh.

Edit: the client is paying for it (lol at me affording San Diego to Riyadh in business class)

Bobby Digital fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 20, 2019

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Reading between the lines he left his cell radio on, it was a weak attempt to join the tower that then failed. It probably didn’t get a bearer for data or would’ve been able to make calls at that altitude. Because of the disappearance they scoured the logs and found that connection attempt.

Attempts to communicate with the ground would’ve been done via sat phone.

Not if its circuit breakers are pulled. But yeah, the F/O probably kept his phone on at all times, which I guess he's not supposed to. Or perhaps he switched it on shortly after the takeover, but was incapacitated anyway by the time it connected.

If it teaches us anything so far, it's that like so many other things in recent times, modern airline safety is an ultra-thin veneer of security on top of an already thin layer of civilization. We take it for granted, but it takes very little weak spots or pressure points to make cracks appear.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bobby Digital posted:

It’s a 400 on BA, Heathrow to Riyadh.

Edit: the client is paying for it (lol at me affording San Diego to Riyadh in business class)

Nice! It seems like four engine airliners are on their way out, so treasure that.

Also the author who wrote the MH370 article wrote about another accident in 2009. It seems also quite good

if you can put aside all the "OH! THE FOOLISHNESS OF MAN!" caterwauling about private jets

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If the copilot's phone was on and made a connection to a tower, why didn't any of the 300 other cell phones on the plane also connect? no way you're telling me that Malaysian is the one airline in the world where every passenger always puts their phone in airplane mode every time.

e: I am not saying this was a conspiracy or anything, I'm genuinely curious about why they only got a single phone ping and it happened to be the first officer's

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

If the copilot's phone was on and made a connection to a tower, why didn't any of the 300 other cell phones on the plane also connect? no way you're telling me that Malaysian is the one airline in the world where every passenger always puts their phone in airplane mode every time.

e: I am not saying this was a conspiracy or anything, I'm genuinely curious about why they only got a single phone ping and it happened to be the first officer's

My experience (which is limited to the US) has been that cell phones really don't work well at altitude in airplanes, so it's possible that his phone had a better signal because of the flight deck windows or something.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Good point. But maybe they did ping the tower, but that it wasn't mentioned or they didn't check all phones against the cell tower logs.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Nebakenezzer posted:

Nice! It seems like four engine airliners are on their way out, so treasure that.

Also the author who wrote the MH370 article wrote about another accident in 2009. It seems also quite good

if you can put aside all the "OH! THE FOOLISHNESS OF MAN!" caterwauling about private jets

Langewiesche writes a lot about plane crashes and shipwrecks, which of course means that he's one of my favorite longform reporters. The topics of few of his other aviation-related pieces:
Virgin Galactic

Air France 447

Felix Baumgartner

US Airways 1549

Flying in the Congo

Space Shuttle Columbia disaster

EgyptAir 990

ValuJet 592

The state of ATC in 1997

Archives of his work:
The Atlantic
Vanity Fair
Longform

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I forget to put my phone in airplane mode occasionally, it’s not going to hurt anything. It only works up to 2000 ft or so anyways. I don’t know why everyone finds it so bizarre he had left his phone on.

It’s more annoying than anything when you’re on approach and all of a sudden your phone regains service and starts vibrating from new texts/emails.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's a bucket list item for me as well, but I've heard you feel the turns more because you're higher above the center of gravity.

Nah, it's all coordinated.

It does feel weird though because its like you're in a small plane with a ride that is far too smooth for its size. Also it feels far too wide for how long it is and how low the roof is. It's a cool experience, even if you had to do it in Y

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

e.pilot posted:

I forget to put my phone in airplane mode occasionally, it’s not going to hurt anything. It only works up to 2000 ft or so anyways. I don’t know why everyone finds it so bizarre he had left his phone on.

It’s more annoying than anything when you’re on approach and all of a sudden your phone regains service and starts vibrating from new texts/emails.

They find it weird that there was only 1 ping mentioned rather than 300. That said the article mentions some sat phones. Presumably they were passengers'

On descent I point the antenna bands of my iPhone down toward metro areas and routinely get spotty 3G service from still high up. (No idea as to how high) If the copilot was dying this may be a thought he had.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Captain Postal posted:

Nah, it's all coordinated.

It does feel weird though because its like you're in a small plane with a ride that is far too smooth for its size. Also it feels far too wide for how long it is and how low the roof is. It's a cool experience, even if you had to do it in Y

My only experience 'upper decking it' in a plane was riding in a C-5A's passenger cabin.

...not recommended. 1 out of 5. >.>

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

Really? I get calls and texts up to pretty much any altitude I'm flying at, usually 3000-5000' AGL. It's great, if it's a telemarketer I just say "I CAN'T HEAR YOU" then place the phone on top of the panel and see how long they'll try and listen to airplane noise before they give up. I'm somewhat tempted to upgrade my headset and get something with Bluetooth, but mainly so I can listen to music in between my students talking to me :v:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I usually put my phone in airplane mode to save the battery, but there have been times when I must have gotten just the right alignment on a tower and got a signal at like 15kft. And that's for a full connection; I'm sure a momentary ping could go a lot further and higher.

e: VVV where there's a will, there's a way. :v:

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 20, 2019

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My only experience 'upper decking it' in a plane was riding in a C-5A's passenger cabin.
I didn't even know you could do an upper-decker in a plane's toilet.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

azflyboy posted:

My experience (which is limited to the US) has been that cell phones really don't work well at altitude in airplanes, so it's possible that his phone had a better signal because of the flight deck windows or something.

777 flight deck cell reception is terrible (787 is even worse, it's like a drat Faraday cage!). And that's on the ground at a gate. I always have to go back into the cabin to be able to get more than a broken "c_n yo_ _er_ m_ no_" conversation working. That's purely anecdotal and I wouldn't read anything into it, but I'd be surprised that a cell in the flight deck made a connection before or exclusively against any other phone on the plane.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

777 flight deck cell reception is terrible (787 is even worse, it's like a drat Faraday cage!). And that's on the ground at a gate. I always have to go back into the cabin to be able to get more than a broken "c_n yo_ _er_ m_ no_" conversation working. That's purely anecdotal and I wouldn't read anything into it, but I'd be surprised that a cell in the flight deck made a connection before or exclusively against any other phone on the plane.

Well, the whole thing pretty much starts with him being locked out of the flight deck.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

Really? I get calls and texts up to pretty much any altitude I'm flying at, usually 3000-5000' AGL. It's great, if it's a telemarketer I just say "I CAN'T HEAR YOU" then place the phone on top of the panel and see how long they'll try and listen to airplane noise before they give up. I'm somewhat tempted to upgrade my headset and get something with Bluetooth, but mainly so I can listen to music in between my students talking to me :v:

Bro Bluetooth headset is life, music makes instructing and flying in general so much better.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Minto Took posted:

I got to ride on both in the back via Lufthansa. The 8i was quieter but DLH had nicer IFE on the 400.

It always takes me a split second to remember that to probably everyone outside of military aviation, "IFE" is in flight entertainment not an in flight emergency. It's drat near the only time jargon in this thread works the other way.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

Bro Bluetooth headset is life, music makes instructing and flying in general so much better.

It feel slightly unprofessional in theory, but also like something that would really really improve my general happiness in practice.

I've heard a rumour you can get pre-bluetooth Bose headsets retrofitted for bluetooth, do you know if that's a thing?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

It always takes me a split second to remember that to probably everyone outside of military aviation, "IFE" is in flight entertainment not an in flight emergency. It's drat near the only time jargon in this thread works the other way.

It's also the term our maintainers use for in flight evaluation, when they want aircrew to check a system that you can't use or fully test on the ground.

Also also in-flight engagement, AKA How Not To Land on an aircraft carrier.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's also the term our maintainers use for in flight evaluation, when they want aircrew to check a system that you can't use or fully test on the ground.

Also also in-flight engagement, AKA How Not To Land on an aircraft carrier.

You mean your maintenance people don't just write "ground check; no fault" in the journey log???

My stars, what a beautiful world that must be...

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

It feel slightly unprofessional in theory, but also like something that would really really improve my general happiness in practice.

I've heard a rumour you can get pre-bluetooth Bose headsets retrofitted for bluetooth, do you know if that's a thing?

Bose is nice but too expensive for what you get imo. They’re also somewhat fragile. I’d suggest a David Clark Pro-X or One-X, they’re half the price, just as comfortable, built like tanks, and have DC’s legendary warranty.

I’ve put over 2000 hours on my pro-x in everything from 172s on up to the 767, it’s been nothing but fantastic.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

PT6A posted:

You can send it in to Bose and they’ll put a different cable on it for a couple hundred bucks if I remember right. I love my A20 to death def get on that poo poo.

Edit: I’ve got an old DC ANR that I put something like 4000 hours on and it’s never gone wrong. The Bose is far better comfort wise though

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 21, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Bose is nice but too expensive for what you get imo.

Yes but I've already got the pre-bluetooth Bose, so upgrading would probably be a lot cheaper than a brand new headset of any brand.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Bobby Digital posted:

Good stuff. Bucket list for me too, which I accomplished last fall. Upstairs on a LH 744 from FRA-YVR. There is something to be said when you see the monster front end of that thing at the gate and thinking "ayup, I'm going upstairs on that bad boy"

Great flight, quite quiet. I'd guess about as quiet as the A359 I was on from YVR-MUC, being upstairs and that far forward makes a big difference from the main cabin for sure. LH business class isn't known as the fanciest in the world, but I had no complaints. Seat was quite confortable, good IFE, all FAs were excellent and great food. I'm sure yours will be great. Enjoy!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I may have to fly business class on BA AUS-LHR while they’re still using the 744. Never been up top.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Flying up top in a 74 or 380 is super neat, definitely do it if you get the chance.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

PT6A posted:

Yes but I've already got the pre-bluetooth Bose, so upgrading would probably be a lot cheaper than a brand new headset of any brand.

You can just buy a new module with bluetooth.

https://www.bose.ca/en_ca/products/...bt_ii_acc_black

It swaps out with two screws.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

helno posted:

You can just buy a new module with bluetooth.

https://www.bose.ca/en_ca/products/...bt_ii_acc_black

It swaps out with two screws.

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks, I think I’ll pick that up.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

e.pilot posted:

Flying up top in a 74 or 380 is super neat, definitely do it if you get the chance.

On the flip side is there any reason to fly lower level on a 380?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aargh posted:

https://dereklow.co/singapore-airlines-suites-class/

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Aargh posted:

So you're not tortured by the idea of being behind the thing's hideous fivehead the whole time?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jealous Cow posted:

I may have to fly business class on BA AUS-LHR while they’re still using the 744. Never been up top.

One of my flight choices back when I did the LH 744 flight was BA. I read their business class reviews on their "ying-yang" style seats and they seemed to be almost universally condemned. That said, it can't be BAD and I think many of the contributors on the frequent flyer forums are divas and basically the aircraft equivalent of DSLreports posters.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

One of my flight choices back when I did the LH 744 flight was BA. I read their business class reviews on their "ying-yang" style seats and they seemed to be almost universally condemned. That said, it can't be BAD and I think many of the contributors on the frequent flyer forums are divas and basically the aircraft equivalent of DSLreports posters.

On the one hand yes, but on the other I have never gotten a panic attack from claustrophobia in the main cabin but did in business.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Sure, gently caress 'em for that "don't pay union dues, buy a game console instead" thing, but this is pretty sweet: https://geekologie.com/2019/06/delta-turns-757-engine-into-massive-gril.php

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The flights I've taken for this Euro trip have been amazingly comfortable. Norwegian business class in a 787 for the transatlantic crossing (and the upcoming return trip), SAS a320s for the jaunt up to Norway and back, both planes had an honestly astounding amount of legroom for my 6'5" frame's legs. My previous experiences as an adult have all been on Southwest etc so this is an excellent change of pace.

Also my first flight ever in any sort of widebody, so that's a milestone i suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Timmy Age 6 posted:

Langewiesche writes a lot about plane crashes and shipwrecks, which of course means that he's one of my favorite longform reporters. The topics of few of his other aviation-related pieces:
Virgin Galactic

Air France 447

Felix Baumgartner

US Airways 1549

Flying in the Congo

Space Shuttle Columbia disaster

EgyptAir 990

ValuJet 592

The state of ATC in 1997

Archives of his work:
The Atlantic
Vanity Fair
Longform

awesome. This Brazil accident surprised the poo poo out of me in that the BizJet survived. Tricksy Langewiesche! Giving us the play-by-play on the flight recorder!