Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elysium posted:

Let's just say theoretically this car is the same make and model and same color, but newer (slightly different body style) as a car I already own...

I think the only real way you're gonna get pulled over is if the plate is expired......BUT, and here's the real issue: you have no inspection stickers. And when you get pulled over for that you now have the wrong tag on the car, no reg, etc, etc.

Are you feeling lucky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Motronic posted:

I think the only real way you're gonna get pulled over is if the plate is expired......BUT, and here's the real issue: you have no inspection stickers. And when you get pulled over for that you now have the wrong tag on the car, no reg, etc, etc.

Are you feeling lucky?

driving with no plates is way less illegal than driving with the incorrect plates.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Motronic posted:

Are you feeling lucky?

Explaining to the cops that you're on your way to the DMV to get it titled and registered will usually work.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

driving with no plates is way less illegal than driving with the incorrect plates.

Correct, and also WAY more likely to get pulled over.

Deteriorata posted:

Explaining to the cops that you're on your way to the DMV to get it titled and registered will usually work.

That's not something I'm going to suggest to someone looking for advice. It's a total gamble and depends heavily on where you are at, how far you need to go and what mood the cops are in.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Motronic posted:

Correct, and also WAY more likely to get pulled over.

That's not something I'm going to suggest to someone looking for advice. It's a total gamble and depends heavily on where you are at, how far you need to go and what mood the cops are in.

Also what color you are.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Preoptopus posted:

Calling 2JZ Wizards!

Got a 99 lexus es300 with the 3.0 2jz GE vtt with like 250k on it. Car has sat for a while and got towed in with a no start condition.
Hooked up a battery and it spins like it lost the Timing belt. Belt seams fine, and timing marks seam spot on.
Taking off the crank pully i noticed its rubbing on the timing cover. There is a super small amount of thrust play in the crank.
Tech refuses to do any more diag and says the engine is toast.
Reading different sources I cant get a solid answer if this is an interference motor or not. ANd would a little play in the crank be enough to
write of the engine? Cranking it over it doesnt sound like it has compression so im sort of siding with him but also I thought these things were supposed
to have a beast of a bottom end.

yes, it is interference. What do you mean it spins like it lost the timing belt? Pull the plugs and see what you find

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Also what color you are.

Yeah, unfortunately that's probably the biggest deciding factor that I consistently forget about because I'm a dumb white guy.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

BlackMK4 posted:

yes, it is interference. What do you mean it spins like it lost the timing belt? Pull the plugs and see what you find

There does not seam to be any compression at all under cranking just by listning to it. I havent actually measured anything cause i was loving around with another nightmare all day. Will pull the plugs tomarrow and do a leak down. I dont feel anything hitting or knocking while hand turning it and like i said the timing marks are all correct so thats where im a little lost. The tech stands by his theory that the crank walked but its gotta be like 20thou or less of play and I say that wouldnt cause compression loss.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 19, 2019

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Motronic posted:

Are you feeling lucky?

What if I call AAA and have them tow it? I get 100 miles right?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Elysium posted:

That depends on the level of AAA membership but it's an option.
https://midatlantic.aaa.com/non-member/plans

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Stupid question that I don't know how to google the answer for:

My mom has a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek and she often will use the built in bluetooth hands-free calling. She claims call quality on her side is fine, and phone calls between our two phones is excellent with HD Voice calls. However, on my end of the phone when she is making a call over bluetooth, the audio quality is terrible. It's often garbled, there are lots of glitches, and other noise in the call.

I've tried to debug this with her-- hypothesizing that maybe the speakers in her car are turned up too loud, so I'm hearing an echo of my own voice. That doesn't appear to be the case.

What else could be calling this? I imagine she has her phone plugged into a cigarette lighter charger, but I've never heard of audio being garbled from a ground loop (that's more of a wired audio issue).

Are there some firmware updates or other things that she might try to get the service center to do when she takes the car in, next?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Elysium posted:

Last time I got AAA to tow an in-op un-tagged car (FL) I got a little bit of poo poo from the driver, saying he wasn't supposed to tow unregistered vehicles. I mean, I get it, they're supposed to be helping stranded drivers, but... I pay for the membership, tow my loving car.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MetaJew posted:

What else could be calling this? I imagine she has her phone plugged into a cigarette lighter charger, but I've never heard of audio being garbled from a ground loop (that's more of a wired audio issue).

Are there some firmware updates or other things that she might try to get the service center to do when she takes the car in, next?

Has she tried removing the car stereo Bluetooth device from the phone and adding it back again?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I don't think so, but I can ask her to try that.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beach Bum posted:

Last time I got AAA to tow an in-op un-tagged car (FL) I got a little bit of poo poo from the driver, saying he wasn't supposed to tow unregistered vehicles. I mean, I get it, they're supposed to be helping stranded drivers, but... I pay for the membership, tow my loving car.

Yeah, FL. :v:

My favorite AAA story (have had them for a couple years;) my kid bought a dumpster fire of a Miata. I knew it was a pile of junk. Anyways the ball joint dies close to the house. I told him to call AAA. They flat lifted that thing around 200 feet into my driveway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MetaJew posted:

I don't think so, but I can ask her to try that.

could always be a problem with the physical microphone in car, too.

can you try having her use a different phone that's borrowed from someone else?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MetaJew posted:

My mom has a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek and she often will use the built in bluetooth hands-free calling. She claims call quality on her side is fine, and phone calls between our two phones is excellent with HD Voice calls. However, on my end of the phone when she is making a call over bluetooth, the audio quality is terrible. It's often garbled, there are lots of glitches, and other noise in the call.

FWIW, this is a common issue, and it often boils down to how good the mic is, and how good the head unit is at noise cancellation.

I've had multiple aftermarket head units with hands free calling, and they all sound like garbage on the other end. My current one lets me adjust mic gain and noise/echo cancellation, which helps significantly, but people still have difficulty hearing me when I'm moving fast enough for there to be any wind noise. If I'm parked, people can hear me fine.

Motronic posted:

Are you feeling lucky?

This. A friend played this game, and thankfully for him, got a sympathetic cop... who just wrote him up for an expired registration and told him to drive it straight home, and not drive it until it has legal tags (he had the bill of sale and title on him, and the cop followed him home). Cop was nice enough to inform him that he had committed multiple felonies (wrong plates, and had swapped the registration sticker over from his other car) and said matter of factly that he COULD have arrested him on the spot, impounded the car as "possibly stolen", etc etc etc.

The plates didn't match the car at all, which is what got the cop's attention in the first place (Infinity G35 plates on a Nissan Sentra).

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Ugh why is this so stupid and complicated, I just want to buy a car :(

I called the DE DMV, and they said they'll provide a temporary tag, but only with the bill of sale and title in hand of course, and they will be closed when I buy the car. So my legal option seems to be drive 2 hours, check the car out, give cash, get title, leave the car with the seller, drive 2 hours home. Next day while DMV is open, drive to a DE DMV, get a temporary tag, go pick up the car, and drive home.

Sort of legal option if I don't get denied: Call AAA, have them tow it 100 miles. Unload. Call AAA again, have same dude tow it 50 miles?

Anything else involves driving the car somewhere either without a plate, or with my other plate, which is even more illegal apparently.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Can you change when you buy it to the next morning (when you'd be going to the DMV anyway)?

and instead of meeting behind a 7-11 or whatever could the seller meet you in the DMV parking lot?

That way you can walk straight in and sort out paperwork without having to move the car, and the morning gives you the full day to smooth out any unexpected issues/general slowness the DMV may have

And of course, can you bring someone with you to drive one of the 2 cars you'll have home?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
That's the thing is tonight I have the second person to go with me and drive the other car back, but not tomorrow during the day. So I could go to the DE DMV tomorrow and get the temporary tags, but I wouldn't be able to actually pick up the car until Saturday or Sunday maybe, so I would have to leave it with the seller. The main downside of leaving it with the seller is if he turns out to be a total scumbag and tries to sell the car to someone else without the title I guess??

To be fair the address they gave me is a really nice house in the suburbs with a large private driveway.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Can you just find another example of this car, for sale in your own state?

Or actually pay the money to have it towed/trailered/whatever

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I just bought a car out of state. I was able to get a temp tag(that wasn't visible in the window so I still got pulled over) but was told that if I wasn't able to get one that having the signed over title and a bill of sale would be more than enough to get me home.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I turned too sharp and ran up over a curb I couldn't see today. It was painted except for about two feet ahead of where I thought it ended and it just blended right the gently caress in with the pavement below it. I didn't strike it with directly with my wheel, but it scraped the crap out of the passenger side underneath. Other than some scrapes there's not really any visible damage and the car seems to drive the same, should I have it checked out? What damage could I have caused without impacting a wheel directly? It's a '15 Mazda 3 FWIW

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 21, 2019

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Anyone got any experience with the Infiniti hybrid system? I'm looking for a used car that isn't a slouch and isn't atrocious on gas, and hell if 360hp and 473lb-ft don't look good on paper. Just wondering if there are any maintenance nightmares/reliability issues I haven't been able to find on the old Googles...

e: the specific cars I'm looking at are ~2017-2018 Q50/Q50s hybrids

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I turned too sharp and ran up over a curb I couldn't see today. It was painted except for about two feet ahead of where I thought it ended and it just blended right the gently caress in with the pavement below it. I didn't strike it with directly with my wheel, but it scraped the crap out of the passenger side underneath. Other than some scrapes there's not really any visible damage and the car seems to drive the same, should I have it checked out? What damage could I have caused without impacting a wheel directly? It's a '15 Mazda 3 FWIW

Are you talking rocker panel scrapes? Road rash on the tires?

For mechanical stuff hopping a curb is usually not a big deal. I wouldn't worry about it. Now it's not the type of thing you can get away every day.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Are you talking rocker panel scrapes? Road rash on the tires?

For mechanical stuff hopping a curb is usually not a big deal. I wouldn't worry about it. Now it's not the type of thing you can get away every day.

Yea it hit under the rocker panel, I'm 99 percent sure my wheels never actually touched the curb, other than my rear wheel as I slowly drove the rest of the way over it.

Edit: Not that I dragged the entire car over the curb, I was able to clear it after a few inches.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 21, 2019

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Cars are tougher than you think. But most main stream shops will throw it up in the air for free on a slow day if you need an extra peace of mind.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

sarcastx posted:

Anyone got any experience with the Infiniti hybrid system? I'm looking for a used car that isn't a slouch and isn't atrocious on gas, and hell if 360hp and 473lb-ft don't look good on paper. Just wondering if there are any maintenance nightmares/reliability issues I haven't been able to find on the old Googles...

e: the specific cars I'm looking at are ~2017-2018 Q50/Q50s hybrids

Prolly still too new to have any real reliability reports however id be looking at lexus's over infinity just cause they have been in the game longer.
Nissan has gotten really lovely in the last 10 years in my opinion. Unless you own a rental fleet. Then they are great in a disposable sort of way.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Elysium posted:

You still have to be there when they show up.

Just make the 2-trips already. Yes, it's a giant PITA, but we've all had to do it.

I got away with what you want to do, but the last time I did it was around 1988.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

Prolly still too new to have any real reliability reports however id be looking at lexus's over infinity just cause they have been in the game longer.
Nissan has gotten really lovely in the last 10 years in my opinion. Unless you own a rental fleet. Then they are great in a disposable sort of way.

Yeah I kinda got that suspicion after my wife's Leaf destroyed a brake disc before it hit 16,000 miles, but I'd been avoiding the Lexus on account of how loving disastrous they look with their gorming great fish face and CVT transmission. There is the Acura RLX though, maybe I'll check that out.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.
My wife drives a 2016 base model Subaru Forester, which is our de facto family car, so I typically only drive it on the highway when we go see my family. Last time, I noticed an up-down kind of shaking from what felt like the back driver-side at 70+ MPH. I looked at the tire when we stopped, and it seemed like it was wearing really unevenly. My wife had hit a pothole a few months back and popped the back passenger side tire, but other than that, she's not had any weird incidents.

I took it for an alignment, and the tire seemed to have a flat spot, rather than just the uneven wear I saw when I looked at it on the car. It was fairly out of alignment, too, but I can't find anything online that supports a bad alignment causing a flat spot on a relatively new tire. Any ideas on what I should check to make sure I don't just put a new tire on the thing and ruin that one, too? I haven't had a chance to check more thoroughly yet, but the brakes feel ok, and the disk doesn't look damaged, and the suspension feels ok, too.

There's about 80K on the car, the tires are General AltiMax RT43s purchased 12/2017. The car is her daily driver, so it doesn't sit idly for more than a day.

Here are some relevant pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/YLrjHAK

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Jabberwocky posted:

My wife drives a 2016 base model Subaru Forester, which is our de facto family car, so I typically only drive it on the highway when we go see my family. Last time, I noticed an up-down kind of shaking from what felt like the back driver-side at 70+ MPH. I looked at the tire when we stopped, and it seemed like it was wearing really unevenly. My wife had hit a pothole a few months back and popped the back passenger side tire, but other than that, she's not had any weird incidents.

I took it for an alignment, and the tire seemed to have a flat spot, rather than just the uneven wear I saw when I looked at it on the car. It was fairly out of alignment, too, but I can't find anything online that supports a bad alignment causing a flat spot on a relatively new tire. Any ideas on what I should check to make sure I don't just put a new tire on the thing and ruin that one, too? I haven't had a chance to check more thoroughly yet, but the brakes feel ok, and the disk doesn't look damaged, and the suspension feels ok, too.

There's about 80K on the car, the tires are General AltiMax RT43s purchased 12/2017. The car is her daily driver, so it doesn't sit idly for more than a day.

Here are some relevant pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/YLrjHAK

Could be a bad tire or badly balanced when installed. Maybe a balancing weight got knocked off when your wife hit the pothole.

The tire needs to be replaced, regardless. Probably should replace all four since it's a Subaru.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 21, 2019

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

Deteriorata posted:

Could be a bad tire or badly balanced when installed. Maybe a balancing weight got knocked off when your wife hit the pothole.

The tire needs to be replaced, regardless. Probably should replace all four since it's a Subaru.

Yeah, the tire will get replaced for sure. I'm debating on whether to replace all of them of get one and have tire reack shave it down to match the others, which seem to be in good shape. I need to measure the tread on the others before I make that decision, though. I agree on the wheel weight theory. That was my first thought when I felt the vibration.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's either a horribly balanced tire or a blown to hell strut/shock.

If it feels the same after new tires, first try getting that tire balanced elsewhere (some balancers don't like bent wheels). If that doesn't help or they don't confirm a bent wheel (alloys don't bent nearly as easy as a steel wheel, FWIW - they tend to either bend very slightly, or shatter), replace the shocks/struts on that axle (not just the one, unless you want some funky handling).

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Elysium posted:

Assume I am an idiot.

:v:

Really though, I know it's frustrating. If it were me I would likely risk the trip with no plate and accept and high likelihood of at least one if not more traffic stops. In my experience, with the BoS and Title in the car, it's usually enough to get me home.

One thing, though; if insurance is a statutory requirement in PA, make sure you get it arranged before you make the drive. I know USAA will give me a policy with nothing more than a VIN, though your experience may vary.

However:

PainterofCrap posted:

Just make the 2-trips already. Yes, it's a giant PITA, but we've all had to do it.

I got away with what you want to do, but the last time I did it was around 1988.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 21, 2019

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

STR posted:

That's either a horribly balanced tire or a blown to hell strut/shock.

If it feels the same after new tires, first try getting that tire balanced elsewhere (some balancers don't like bent wheels). If that doesn't help or they don't confirm a bent wheel (alloys don't bent nearly as easy as a steel wheel, FWIW - they tend to either bend very slightly, or shatter), replace the shocks/struts on that axle (not just the one, unless you want some funky handling).

I'll see if I can see any bending or anything on the wheel (they are alloys, FWIW.) I'm leaning towards the wheel weight/improperly balanced wheel thought. I had a mom and pop place here in my small town do them last time, and it's entirely possible they either hosed up the initial balance or a weight fell off when my wife hit the pothole. I'll double-check/take a closer look at the shock this weekend to be safe anyway. Thanks for the help.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I dont post a lot in AI and Im not sure where else to ask this.

What mounting hardware do I need to carry a kayak on a 2018 AWD Nissan Rogue with roof rails but without the factory-installed crossbars? Also can I get some specific product recommendations? I know I can get after-market crossbars, but Id like to know which ones are any good.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The Jabberwocky posted:

I'll see if I can see any bending or anything on the wheel (they are alloys, FWIW.) I'm leaning towards the wheel weight/improperly balanced wheel thought. I had a mom and pop place here in my small town do them last time, and it's entirely possible they either hosed up the initial balance or a weight fell off when my wife hit the pothole. I'll double-check/take a closer look at the shock this weekend to be safe anyway. Thanks for the help.

I would like to honestly ask the AI gods here, and my first thought was an inflation issue but man that looks like a panic stop situation to flat spot it. And a major one at that.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Since I'm sure everyone is just :f5:ing over here. The seller, without me prompting him, suggested I use his plate to drive home, and so I put the car on insurance and drove home (through some crazy rainstorms where no cops were gonna be stopping anyone anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I would like to honestly ask the AI gods here, and my first thought was an inflation issue but man that looks like a panic stop situation to flat spot it. And a major one at that.

Yeah, that was the first question I asked, and my wife can't think of a time she's had to panic brake, especially enough that it would do that kind of damage. Wouldn't at least one other tire have similar damage if that was the case, too?