Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

revmoo posted:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-1850/305907274

1/2 Milwaukee impact with battery for $250

I have that, can confirm it’s awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

meatpimp posted:

The Fuel grinder plus 5ah battery at $180 is a damned good deal, too. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-1850/305907383

:ohdear:

Looks small enough to smuggle in to the pick--n-pull too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Princess auto has a 10 gallon portable air tank for $45.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/10-gallon-portable-air-tank/A-p8474942e

I combined it with my old backpacking pack, and....

Voila! I AM AIRMAN

Just have to cut the feet and handle off it, and it wil fit snugly with the fittings right at the zipper. And i can store a bunch of air hose in the top part of the pack.

Some tires are gonna get filled with so much gently caress air :black101:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meatpimp posted:

Killer deal. That may make me jump.

Narrator: He did.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

meatpimp posted:

Mine gets here Thursday, can't wait. I will be sharpening my mower blade just looking for something to crack loose.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

meatpimp posted:

Did he get the grinder too though

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

revmoo posted:

Mine gets here Thursday, can't wait. I will be sharpening my mower blade just looking for something to crack loose.

I hope to hell you are some crazy uncle that inspires your nieces and nephews.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Just bought my first ever micrometer for a particular job. It's a Starrett off Amazon, Sold by and shipped by, so no reason to expect anything shady I think. However, it isn't zeroed perfectly, it reads 0.5 to 0.75 microns at zero. Which of the following is correct?

-This is normal. Like pressure gauges, properly calibrated micrometers don't always read "0" at zero. Measure normally and use measurement as shown on micrometer
-This is normal, simply subtract 0.5 micron from the measurement shown on micrometer
-Something is wonky, return it and/or call someone to fix it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That doesn't sound normal. Which model exactly?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Microns, as in 1/1,000,000th of a meter? Or 1/1,000th of a millimeter? Are you sure that's the right unit? If it is, 1/100th of the width of a human hair is likely in the acceptable error range.

What kind of micrometer is it? Digital, Dial? Do you have a link to the ad, or a model number?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Also, do you have some piece of grit on the anvil that is approximately half a micron?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
can anyone recommend a small affordable hobby welder. I know it wont be used much.

Same for a plasma cutter are these cheap ebay amazon things worth it or just junk?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What tire pressure gauges do you guys use? I have a Joes Racing gauge with hold but I left pressure in for a few days and now it doesn't go all the way down to zero and reads high. I think I will skip a hold function this time as that's the second time that's happened. I value decent accuracy and having a release valve.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hypnolobster posted:

Also, do you have some piece of grit on the anvil that is approximately half a micron?

Maybe he was measuring his penis :rimshot:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Charles posted:

What tire pressure gauges do you guys use? I have a Joes Racing gauge with hold but I left pressure in for a few days and now it doesn't go all the way down to zero and reads high. I think I will skip a hold function this time as that's the second time that's happened. I value decent accuracy and having a release valve.

I won’t go back from a combination inflator/gauge. It’s so nice to latch on one thing to check, fill or purge in a single step.

I have the digital JACO on Amazon that had a bunch of good reviews, but the chuck kind of sucks. Had to grab a new one from HF for $3. Luckily it’s all standard threads.

This one goes on sale for $15 like every “dad holiday” and people seem to like it. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Freeman-Digital-Tire-Inflator-with-LED-Pressure-Gauge-FATDTI/301747404

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

eddiewalker posted:

I won’t go back from a combination inflator/gauge. It’s so nice to latch on one thing to check, fill or purge in a single step.

I have the digital JACO on Amazon that had a bunch of good reviews, but the chuck kind of sucks. Had to grab a new one from HF for $3. Luckily it’s all standard threads.

This one goes on sale for $15 like every “dad holiday” and people seem to like it. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Freeman-Digital-Tire-Inflator-with-LED-Pressure-Gauge-FATDTI/301747404

I don't have a compressor though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ive had an older version of this brand for over a decade

https://www.amazon.com/Longacre-50417-0-60-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B00DL6T2YK

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Ups_rail posted:

can anyone recommend a small affordable hobby welder. I know it wont be used much.

Same for a plasma cutter are these cheap ebay amazon things worth it or just junk?

Something Miller/Lincoln used? Supposedly the cheap mig's are ok if you get real wire for them, not the junk that comes with them.

No idea on the plasma cutter, sounds interesting though

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Glow in the dark, nice.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

slidebite posted:

That doesn't sound normal. Which model exactly?

Elviscat posted:

Microns, as in 1/1,000,000th of a meter? Or 1/1,000th of a millimeter? Are you sure that's the right unit? If it is, 1/100th of the width of a human hair is likely in the acceptable error range.

What kind of micrometer is it? Digital, Dial? Do you have a link to the ad, or a model number?

It's the 208MDZ. It has a rounded anvil but is otherwise nothing fancy.
http://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/208mdz

The graduations are 10μm each, and with the barrel closed the line is at half a graduation. My tightest tolerance I need to hit for the job is +/-25μm, so the meter being off 5μm isn't the end of the world (especially if it's a constant +5μm), but if the error grows as the measurement gets bigger that's a problem obviously. Every other micrometer I've ever used (which is not many, and they've always belonged to someone else) has zeroed out at the 0 line impeccably, but maybe that's just luck.

I'm hunting around to find someone with a set of reliable feeler gauges or something I can test it out on. But if a supposedly brand new Starrett micrometer arriving 5μm out of spec is unheard of and likely a sign that it's maybe a factory reject that "fell" out of the reject bin and onto Amazon, I'll return it and buy from a reputable tool shop (for way more than I found it on Amazon for).

Sorry about the units, I remember someone once telling me that in the English language machining world the only metric unit of measurement used by grizzled greybeards is the micron, supposedly a non-SI unit that is 10μm, which I always thought was pretty stupid. I was trying to be all smart and pretend I know the lingo, but a quick check on the internet shows zero evidence that there is any colloquial unit of measurement equal to 10^-5m, let alone it being called a micron. So either that guy was a moron, or more likely I'm a moron and misunderstood him.

edit: I know I can adjust the zero, but my main concern is now just whether or not the unit not coming zeroed is a major red flag.

Kreez fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 21, 2019

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Charles posted:

https://www.intercompracing.com/gauges/air-pressure-gauges.html#1

Don't get one of the fluid filled ones, I made that mistake, and now I take three times as long as I should to check my tire pressures in grid at autocross.

I prefer the big analog dials.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 21, 2019

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Kreez posted:

It's the 208MDZ. It has a rounded anvil but is otherwise nothing fancy.
http://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/208mdz

The graduations are 10μm each, and with the barrel closed the line is at half a graduation. My tightest tolerance I need to hit for the job is +/-25μm, so the meter being off 5μm isn't the end of the world (especially if it's a constant +5μm), but if the error grows as the measurement gets bigger that's a problem obviously. Every other micrometer I've ever used (which is not many, and they've always belonged to someone else) has zeroed out at the 0 line impeccably, but maybe that's just luck.

I'm hunting around to find someone with a set of reliable feeler gauges or something I can test it out on. But if a supposedly brand new Starrett micrometer arriving 5μm out of spec is unheard of and likely a sign that it's maybe a factory reject that "fell" out of the reject bin and onto Amazon, I'll return it and buy from a reputable tool shop (for way more than I found it on Amazon for).

Sorry about the units, I remember someone once telling me that in the English language machining world the only metric unit of measurement used by grizzled greybeards is the micron, supposedly a non-SI unit that is 10μm, which I always thought was pretty stupid. I was trying to be all smart and pretend I know the lingo, but a quick check on the internet shows zero evidence that there is any colloquial unit of measurement equal to 10^-5m, let alone it being called a micron. So either that guy was a moron, or more likely I'm a moron and misunderstood him.

edit: I know I can adjust the zero, but my main concern is now just whether or not the unit not coming zeroed is a major red flag.

Yeah, that style of mic should be absolute zero when zeroed, with a high-quality piece of measurmentation like that 100% return it, I bet if you call Starrett directly they'll exchange it or adjust it for you, and then you can be sure you have the real deal. I'm sure you could just adjust everything by the zero-error, but Starrett should stand behind their products.

The units thing is a pretty easy mistake to make, see loving "mils"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That should zero. Since it's resolution is a .010mm I would call that 10 micrometers resolution.

Elviscat posted:

Oh god, "mils" makes my eye twitch out because I need to clarify each loving time exactly what they mean.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

slidebite posted:

That should zero. Since it's resolution is a .010mm I would call that 10 micrometers resolution.

No, it only has 1 micrometer of resolution, because he only has one of them.

:angel:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
GearWrench 81230F 4 Piece Full Polish Flex Handle Ratchet Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V5G7LU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_DhldDbHV5T89G

Currently $82.xx :aaaaa:

Oh man if these had the locking flex like the Matco and SnapOn I've seen I'd probably have already bought them. I've been looking to upgrade from my Craftsman ratchets and these are really tempting me right now.

GearWrench makes quality stuff and I figured I'd spread the word on what looks like a great deal.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jun 21, 2019

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm heading back to Germany for a couple days for work. What new teutonic hotness should I try to find in the tool store?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, that style of mic should be absolute zero when zeroed, with a high-quality piece of measurmentation like that 100% return it, I bet if you call Starrett directly they'll exchange it or adjust it for you, and then you can be sure you have the real deal. I'm sure you could just adjust everything by the zero-error, but Starrett should stand behind their products.

Did it come with a little C-hook spanner? Any instructions on the adjustment of it?

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Did it come with a little C-hook spanner? Any instructions on the adjustment of it?

It did, and adjusting the zero is easy enough. Just seemed odd to me that it wouldn't be properly adjusted if it was brand new from the factory, and whether that indicated an issue.

Anyway, I've left a message with Starrett, we'll see what they say.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My neighbor just moved out, and gave me a 750lb engine support.

Gonna be handy as hell, because my engine hoist can't quite reach the engine in my car.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Powershift posted:

My neighbor just moved out, and gave me a 750lb engine support.

Gonna be handy as hell, because my engine hoist can't quite reach the engine in my car.

Great, but did they try to lift a locomotive engine with it?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Great, but did they try to lift a locomotive engine with it?

He's the diesel guy at a dodge dealer so, yeah.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

GearWrench 81230F 4 Piece Full Polish Flex Handle Ratchet Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V5G7LU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_DhldDbHV5T89G

Currently $82.xx :aaaaa:

Oh man if these had the locking flex like the Matco and SnapOn I've seen I'd probably have already bought them. I've been looking to upgrade from my Craftsman ratchets and these are really tempting me right now.

GearWrench makes quality stuff and I figured I'd spread the word on what looks like a great deal.

I looked at this listing for way too long wondering what BY TOOTH meant. Same thing, if they had the locking flex I'd be all on it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

revmoo posted:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-1850/305907274

1/2 Milwaukee impact with battery for $250

Showed up today. Holy poo poo, that thing is a monster. I can't wait to do the timing belt on the Avalon and laugh at the crank bolt.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

meatpimp posted:

Showed up today. Holy poo poo, that thing is a monster. I can't wait to do the timing belt on the Avalon and laugh at the crank bolt.

I still have to replace one of the lugs on one of my cars, because the PO cross-threaded it on and that impact said NO U and got it off. I made the mistake of trying to pick up the lug nut after it came off and got a nice burn on my fingers for the trouble.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm always amused by how hot they get when impacted off, it's a nice reminder of the violence they suffered.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Where's the best place to get a M18 charger? HD wanted over 300$

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

revmoo posted:

Do you live somewhere that everything has to be brought in once a year by barge?

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/milwaukee-tool-m12-and-m18-12v-18v-lithium-ion-multi-voltage-battery-charger/1000680893

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=amazon+m18+charger+milwaukee

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

revmoo posted:

You sure that didn't come with a battery? The combo m12/m18 charger is $59 everywhere. Looks like you can get one for about $25 on eBay, but I'd just justify another tool combo for a "free" one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

eddiewalker posted:

just justify another tool combo for a "free" one.

This is the correct answer.