Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

And Tyler Too! posted:

So from what I've gathered in this thread, forming Federations is a pain in the rear end and not worth it. I'm starting a new empire and trying to be a goody-goody diplomat.

They are absolutely worth it for the sake of mutual defense, and the AI will shower the federation president (ideally you) with massive swarms of evasion corvettes, which is pretty good as far as meta is concerned.

Most of the complaints (my own included) is the hosed fleet interface, lack of control over the fed fleet contents since the ai spams vettes so fast, and to a lesser degree a loss of agency in foreign policy due to occasional ai stubbornness. These are annoying, but by no means showstoppers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There are also plain less Diplo option even when the AI isn't being stubborn (though there may be good balance reasons for that).

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Consumer goods are the devil and should be exterminated

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I did not realize that I would be able to just take the territory without needing a claim from the Machine Intelligence empire that had a defensive pact the Driven Assimilator Empire.

I mean I was kind of hoping that they would stay out of it for a while since there was still a couple years left on the peace treaty I had with the Machine Intelligence.

But since I could take the territory and I am playing a xenophobic spiritual society, I am taking as much of both robot empires as I can. I nabbed an Assimilator shipyard and a couple of his anchorages and I'm softening up their homeworld for an invasion, so that slowed one side down, especially since I've also taken a lot their space. But the Machine Intelligence did a good job with their strategic depth and I haven't been able to get to any of their main starbases so they are able to keep their fleet strength equal to mine. I keep having to bounce them around by taking some space on one side of their empire then retreating to let them take it back while I do the same thing on the other side of their empire.

Essentially I'm just taking/losing/taking the same half dozen stars or so in order to keep their fleets busy while I gobble up Assimilator space.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

TMMadman posted:

I did not realize that I would be able to just take the territory without needing a claim from the Machine Intelligence empire that had a defensive pact the Driven Assimilator Empire.

I mean I was kind of hoping that they would stay out of it for a while since there was still a couple years left on the peace treaty I had with the Machine Intelligence.

But since I could take the territory and I am playing a xenophobic spiritual society, I am taking as much of both robot empires as I can. I nabbed an Assimilator shipyard and a couple of his anchorages and I'm softening up their homeworld for an invasion, so that slowed one side down, especially since I've also taken a lot their space. But the Machine Intelligence did a good job with their strategic depth and I haven't been able to get to any of their main starbases so they are able to keep their fleet strength equal to mine. I keep having to bounce them around by taking some space on one side of their empire then retreating to let them take it back while I do the same thing on the other side of their empire.

Essentially I'm just taking/losing/taking the same half dozen stars or so in order to keep their fleets busy while I gobble up Assimilator space.

What’s the response time? If it’s long enough you could probably fortify a system with platforms and such and try to break their response fleet when it shows up. At least that’s usually my preferred method of dealing with a “fair fight”. Worst case you can sacrifice a smaller fleet to cripple theirs at a starbase and just push farther in on the other side.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

LogisticEarth posted:

The Galaxy us going to hate you no matter what, and will eventually gang up. So you don't want to dilly dally.

I learned this the hard way. My fanatic purifier game ended in disaster. After purging roughly 4 empires the remaining ones all gunned for me simultaneously after hiring both marauders to ransack my poo poo at a period where I was already hemmorhaging drat near every resource after my recent conquest learned how to put up an actual fight.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

I learned this the hard way. My fanatic purifier game ended in disaster. After purging roughly 4 empires the remaining ones all gunned for me simultaneously after hiring both marauders to ransack my poo poo at a period where I was already hemmorhaging drat near every resource after my recent conquest learned how to put up an actual fight.

It’s all part of the fun! A high point of my recent driven assimilators game wasn’t the win as much as the mid game assault I made that broke the local federation formed to stop me. :getin: No one wanted to honor the mutual defense agreements they made after I broke the biggest armada they could field at the time.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Honestly the only thing federations need right now is a better fleet/ship manager.

Add a tab to the bottom of fleet manager and ship designer that says "FEDERATION" and make sure it works the same way as the existing one because the one in the game right now definitely doesn't. In fact if you upgrade the fed fleet to your own designs it seems to just make it into your own fleet, bafflingly.

I dunno how hard that would be but it seems a simple solution? Maybe a mod exists already.

I mean it's nice having a fleet of 500 corvettes at 280,000 fleet strength or whatever but gently caress is it hard to fight against if you're facing off against an enemy federation.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I've never played rogue servitor before so I don't know how much it's been messed with but it's probably been the most successful run I've ever had. I only wish I could do migration treaties with the bio-trophy species I have.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Retro42 posted:

What’s the response time? If it’s long enough you could probably fortify a system with platforms and such and try to break their response fleet when it shows up. At least that’s usually my preferred method of dealing with a “fair fight”. Worst case you can sacrifice a smaller fleet to cripple theirs at a starbase and just push farther in on the other side.

I'm content wjth keeping them bouncing for now because the Assimilator space I'm gobbling up also leads to the the Machine Intelligence space and once that happens I should be able to crack that nut.

I've got a few issues happening that make it the better option.

First, while my naval capacity is more than enough, my fleet size is at least 1 upgrade less than I'd like right now and probably more like 2. So a single fleet is perhaps slightly undersized, but I'm covering for that by having each operating area have 2 fleets, although the 2nd fleet isn't usually a full strength one.

Second, my shipyards are a few jumps farther than I'd like to provide optimal support, at least for this for this area but I'm working on fixing it.

However, the third issue is that I'm over the starbase limit and while my economy is rocking enough to handle being 2 starbases over the limit, it can't take being 3 over. The energy hit is pretty big when you've got 30 starbases (actually 32). I'm working on rearranging/removing some of the ones I've taken from the Assimilators in order to try and put some in the empty space I've taken from the Machine Intelligence, but that takes time and I really hate destroying starbases that have upgraded even once.

Fourth, since I've had a few skirmishes with the Machine fleets and destroyed some of their bigger ships, they rebuilt with a bunch of corvettes. Now that isn't that big of a deal but the 2nd and 3rd issues are complicating that problem for the moment.

I wanted this operation to hopefully just be a quick land grab but then I turned it into something more prolonged and I wasn't really optimized for that kind of effort.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

it would be cool if the AI couldn't hit 100% war exhaustion and then just refuse to surrender for 30 years

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

turn off the TV posted:

it would be cool if the AI couldn't hit 100% war exhaustion and then just refuse to surrender for 30 years

I'm pretty sure you can force a white peace if they hit 100% war exhaustion.

If you are trying to conquer them then you probably don't have a planet or habitat captured.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Seriously?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

And Tyler Too! posted:

So from what I've gathered in this thread, forming Federations is a pain in the rear end and not worth it. I'm starting a new empire and trying to be a goody-goody diplomat.

No federations are excellent. You just need to be careful as to who you invite into yours so you don't have to rage quit out of it later. If you want to wage aggressive wars, just don't invite pacifists and probably don't join a federation with a dude who is friends with your worst enemy. In my current game I've been in a federation that started out as a defense pact by like 2230 due to a neighboring fanatic purifier. This is a glavius AI game grand admiral difficulty and yeah I'm still not pres yet cause my ally has 1406 pops and about 280k fleet. The fed fleet is comparable to my entire combined fleet power (it's 2349).

Even though I'm not president there have been zero issues calling my pals to aggressive wars to vassalize the weak or bite chunks out of the strong with everyone's combined claims on stuff.

My guys aren't even likeable either. I'm an rear end in a top hat xenophobe with about 50% of my population enslaved and I've been at perpetual war since around 2240 but they're cool with it. As a proper good guy you can usually buddy up with some real shithead(s) who are happy to declare on everyone else forever.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

turn off the TV posted:

You'll note that the AI cannot force you to surrender either...

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

TMMadman posted:

If you are trying to conquer them then you probably don't have a planet or habitat captured.

Yeah you can force status quo after 100% but you are never going to force surrender on anything but humiliate unless you have them pretty close to 100% occupied with their fleets smashed.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I created a federation and then invited my neighbor, an honorable warrior empire that dug up the Grand Herald, into it. Then I declared war on another neighbor and laughed as the grand herald wreaked havoc on them. I did have to save it though because the warriors just let it do its thing all alone and the enemy sent a small mixed but corvette heavy fleet after it.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I feel like the sector AI is still kinda similar to a roomba and I'd use it anyways but I've got half the map conquered.

Now I just set the game to slowest speed every 10 years and update all the infrastructure on my planets then go back to normal speed once I've gone through 'em all.

There's gotta be a better way, right?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Is there a way to force a certain precursor?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

turn off the TV posted:

War exhaustion is for forcing status quos, not surrenders. It contributes to the AI surrender weighting though.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

God dang, the Vultaum is an absolutely fantastic precursor civ to get early. I got them in 2230 as determined exterminators and the extra alloys and relic mean I get to obliterate all of my neighbors with (greater) ease.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

TMMadman posted:

I think my problem was that the empire I was trying to subjugate had allies that I couldn't reach for the majority of the war because I hadn't gotten jump drives yet.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

I think my problem was that the empire I was trying to subjugate had allies that I couldn't reach for the majority of the war because I hadn't gotten jump drives yet.

If you declared a war to subjugate them and occupied all of their poo poo, status quo peace will result in vassalization of the occupied territories

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nuclearmonkee posted:

If you declared a war to subjugate them and occupied all of their poo poo, status quo peace will result in vassalization of the occupied territories

When I looked at the status quo tooltip it said that no territory will change hands because nobody occupies systems belonging to the other side :downs:

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Ok, so I'm going to rant a bit about the title like a total jackass, but I'm really starting to miss tiles now.

Look, I came into the tile removal update with optimism! I was like, "yeah, lets try this crazy new thing" for the sake of better/deeper gameplay. I actually LIKED the 2.0 update what with them removing warp drives and wormhole travel. I agreed with those changes.

But now that I've played a good long while without tiles, I've got to say that I'm really not liking this new system. At least with tiles it was straightforward, visually pleasing, and simple enough to get. Now we have goddamn SPREADSHEETS, along with planets that never stop growing and needing micromanagement! When I filled up a planet with the tile system, I was DONE. Now I'm never done.

And holy poo poo you're hosed if you're playing robots, because robots can't migrate. Have fun moving pops forever.

And oh god pops are flipping back and forth between jobs every god drat second?? Preventing them from demoting to open jobs below? OKAY. Not sure if this is about tiles anymore but I'm still mad about it.

Wasn't this new system designed to be easier for ai to manage? To help reduce microing? It seems that microing has increased substantially, and ai still can't manage squat. And also it looks like poo poo.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 22, 2019

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Got tagteamed by two xenophobic empires in the early game. Was in deep poo poo. Archeological event shits out a 7.5k fleet power titan. Okay game.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Ok, so I'm going to rant a bit about the title like a total jackass, but I'm really starting to miss tiles now.

Look, I came into the tile removal update with optimism! I was like, "yeah, lets try this crazy new thing" for the sake of better/deeper gameplay. I actually LIKED the 2.0 update what with them removing warp drives and wormhole travel. I agreed with those changes.

But now that I've played a good long while without tiles, I've got to say that I'm really not liking this new system. At least with tiles it was straightforward, visually pleasing, and simple enough to get. Now we have goddamn SPREADSHEETS, along with planets that never stop growing and needing micromanagement! When I filled up a planet with the tile system, I was DONE. Now I'm never done.

And holy poo poo you're hosed if you're playing robots, because robots can't migrate. Have fun moving pops forever.

And oh god pops are flipping back and forth between jobs every god drat second?? Preventing them from demoting to open jobs below? OKAY. Not sure if this is about tiles anymore but I'm still mad about it.

Wasn't this new system designed to be easier for ai to manage? To help reduce microing? It seems that microing has increased substantially, and ai still can't manage squat. And also it looks like poo poo.

Source your quotes.

Then play egalitarian and let the pops move themselves.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DJ Dizzy posted:

Got tagteamed by two xenophobic empires in the early game. Was in deep poo poo. Archeological event shits out a 7.5k fleet power titan. Okay game.

The Grand Herald is amazing!

Sure, it's kind of gamebreaking, but it's fuel costs are a bit tough early in the game.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Source your quotes.

Then play egalitarian and let the pops move themselves.

That doesn't address like any of the things he brought up and his points seem fairly accurate :shrug:

I guess they wanted more depth to the economic simulation but in practice the human playing the game experiences way more micro and constant planetary micro all game long, and the AI falls behind pretty badly so while it did add some depth it came with quite a cost.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I feel like the new system makes it much harder for me to settle into a solid, dominantly growing economy. I feel like I'm always juggling something. That does make it feel to me like more micromanaging, but at least it feels a bit more mentally involved. By the time it becomes annoying to me I've usually reached a point where I'm content to declare myself the winner anyway.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
At what point should I begin researching anomalies and doing excavations? Especially the latter? Do the excavations just go by quicker at a higher level or does it reduce the chance of your scientist dying / failure?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
This game is great. Got hooked during the recent free weekend.

Just discovered the magic of designing my own ships and it is hilarious. Corvette swarms are now mopping up CONTINGENCY fleets twice my strength.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Preston Waters posted:

At what point should I begin researching anomalies and doing excavations? Especially the latter? Do the excavations just go by quicker at a higher level or does it reduce the chance of your scientist dying / failure?

I tend to wait until I know where the nearest AI players are and to have surveyed enough to happily expand away while catching up on anomalies.

Excavations just go quicker at a higher level, but they're also really good for levelling up scientists.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Accretionist posted:

Just discovered the magic of designing my own ships and it is hilarious. Corvette swarms are now mopping up CONTINGENCY fleets twice my strength.

I’m starting the ghost signal chain at the minute, does anyone have any tips on how to prep so I don’t get rolled like last time? I have about 1/4 of the map so it’s likely I’m going to get a spawn in my territory.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Red Oktober posted:

I’m starting the ghost signal chain at the minute, does anyone have any tips on how to prep so I don’t get rolled like last time? I have about 1/4 of the map so it’s likely I’m going to get a spawn in my territory.

Switch all weapons to disruptors / arc emitters / lightning emitters, and stack shields. Remove sentient AI computers from your ships and replace with the lower tier.

Have lots of ships.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ihop posted:

I feel like the new system makes it much harder for me to settle into a solid, dominantly growing economy. I feel like I'm always juggling something. That does make it feel to me like more micromanaging, but at least it feels a bit more mentally involved. By the time it becomes annoying to me I've usually reached a point where I'm content to declare myself the winner anyway.

I think I'd be fine if I could turn off the unemployed marker. It nags at me making me think I need to do something and I really loving hate it.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is there a way to force a certain precursor?

If you're on ironman, then no. If not, open the console and use "debugtooltip" to see which precursor anomalies/digsites can spawn in each star system, and beeline the systems that have the precursor you want and survey them first. You may have to start a new game if the precursor you want can't spawn in the region of space you started in.

I guess you can also play the events that start you on the correct chain, though I'm unsure how/if that works now that precursor stories are told through digsites instead of just events.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

You can also just change the galaxy creation script to spawn just the one type.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Ass_Burgerer posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1617534169

The primary value of each planet is its ability to grow pop. Once a pop is grown you absolutely do not need to leave them there and they can simply be automatically resettled to whatever specialist production planets with the above mod. Can be a bit less straightforward with slaver empires but it works. The only annoying thing is I really wish you could pre-queue buildings/upgrades without having to check back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Does threat ever go down? Also I decided to crack a planet while in a war. Does that malus ever go away?