Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

LordSloth posted:

It’s not a dominions campaign unless one of the gods accidentally drowns himself, herself, or stoneself.

The campaign would probably have a Black Company vibe as the variety of pretenders rise and fall and die to stupid poo poo. They'd hear town criers and streams of refugees from conquered provinces. What once we're upstarts would have empires in a year, then the empires clash. In two years virgins are being hunted, magics are ripping the land apart, corpses pile up...

By year four the party could have patronage with a pretender, but there would be problems of missing sun and a perpetual tempest. Stuff like that.

Heck don't need a full game of Dominions, just strip the fun bits from people's stories and create lore around it. A quest to kill a load bearing global wizard for example. Party does the deed, but their patron pretender gets overrun and now they have to contend with a god they pissed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
There was an RPG session set in the Dominions setting run on this very forum in the Trad Games sub many years ago, but I've never been able to find it in archives.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
In a completely unexpected development, I am not dead in one of my games.

The issue is that I will be out of the country for a few days (June 11-16, maybe 17 if I get unlucky on return travel) and I'm not likely to have any computer access, though I will have Discord access. If anyone's interested in subbing for EA Abysia as piloted by a newbie for a few days and isn't already in the 'ants' game, let me know; I'm Almacia on the Discord and I can fill you in.

Edit: looks like I got someone, thanks!

Prism fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 9, 2019

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New update
https://steamcommunity.com/games/722060/announcements/detail/1592499698879455461

quote:

New unit for MA Man: Landless Knight
New Pythium rituals: Katabasis, Epopteia
Serpent Priests can train Hydras in swamp temples
Mother of Avalon reduced in price
R'lyeh dreamland dominion didn't spawn mad men for disciples
LA Pythium has automatic 10 poison res bless effect
Increased AoE on Gift of the Sacred Swamp
Increased magic on Renatus and Renata
Hydras cheaper
Serpent Assassin now costs 2 Rec.Points and can be recruited everywhere
(and more...)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

quote:

It is now possible to a network host to force a cataclysm

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

edit: haveing real trouble with these images
Mummy ended; let's look back.
I'm Jotuns, my god:

I nab most mercenaries, expansion goes very smoothly and agreeable borders are negotiated with Shinu, Nazca and Mictlan.

The elephant mercs are stolen.

Turn 9:

Nazca's hellbless is scouted, I spent the next 20 turns in terror of an invasion and scheming against jsoh.

Luck and thunderweapons are horrible for giants to fight against.

Arco mistakenly thought that province was in his cap circle.
I try to take it back:

700 gold of pd on turn 10 O_o

Pythium attacks me with his god for some reason, nothing more comes of it.

Tienchi got knights on his cap and couldn't break out, he goes ai.

One year in:

Next turn Agartha (jonjoe) invades Shinu (gabrielpope).
Agartha's bless:

My new prophet, replacing a rocking good time.

Just in time for the conquest of Arco.

Zombie is new, so I send some helpful advice along.

While my legions siege his cap, he gathers his elephants, crosses the mountains and heads straight for Jotunheim.
A bold new strategy.

Prophet living on the edge:

Mictlan (ganjdalf) moves on tc, his bless:

Again I stumble into a pd trap, this time 1700 gold worth's.

A crippled Garmhirding fighting the pd commander:

He hits and cripples the horseman and then goes unberserk (didn't even know that could happen!).
The crippled horse can't keep up with him to hit and berserk him again, and he shuffles off.

Current research:

Arco falls:

And a sweet event for me:

Thrones at turn 18ish:

Arco's elephants intercepted near Jotunheim:

I also spot the throne of splendour:

Awe would go amazing on my sacreds, especially for the scarewolves.
I want this real bad!
Research has been conj 5 for the summons and howl, evo 3 for arcane probing and const 4?
N2D2 gygjas are out sitesearching, with boosters if needed.

Shinu's fighting a succesfull guerilla campaign against Agartha, despite being a third the size.

A lot of monsters take a province on my border with Nazca.

Birds appear too close for comfort and I patrol my cap.
I grab some of TC's lands, the bloodslave throne and some garnet amazons.
Mictlan takes TC's cap, Pythium attacks Machaka and is attacked by Phlegra.
Phlegra's drakon:

A classic:

Turn 25:

I didn't plan ahead very well and finally start getting a blood economy rolling.

I make a nap with Mictlan, we've been bros all game, and with Nazca, though they rudely took afore mentioned province with the indie invasion. Nazca moves through that province to hit the neighbouring throne. Mictlan had been gunning for it too and goes in the turn after.

1200 gold of pd saves the day for Nazca.

They start going at it, leaving me the sole nation at peace.
Uruk (meinberg) and Asphodel (Purple16) had been skirmishing, I get in touch and see if we can't all get along and save Shinu. They agree and I dispatch a squad Agarthabound.

Phlegra starts sieging Pyth's cap.

And the bulk of my forces moves on to Machaka (tducats).

He later tells me he forgot about incarnateness affecting blesses, causing his expansion to be subpar.
Bogus joins in on the fun too.

Also forgot I could recruit these, giving me access to all paths:

Uruk decides to grab some AI Pythium with his whole army instead of attacking Agartha.

Aspho likewise hasn't moved in yet.

Tactical retreat:

Also I don't think Shinu has lost any territory compared to the start of the war.
Heroic fighting by the goblins:

Agartha keeps using fire elementals in cold 3.

Tjatse arrives turn 29.

And we attack Machaka, to revenge Pythium's dog, poisoned by spiders:

Footage of the fight seems to have been misplaced, but the aftermath speaks for itself.

I way underestimated the spiders, they chew through my giants and eat all my mages.
Goodbye howl, rain and water eles. Why didn't I put my mages on the end of the battlefield without murderspiders you ask? :iiam:

Phlegra storms Pythium:

Ravens are not for fighting, Jack!

Luck putting in work this turn.

And Aspho attacks both Uruk and Agartha.

Note all of Uruk's guys on the other side of the world.

Agartha throws in the towel now.
Fighting fliers is awful and I'm so glad it isn't me doing it.

Uruk goes ai too and all the scouts I had set to take his pdless provinces die.
Mictlan giving as good as he gets:

Shinu storms a fort and kills a dragon:

We try again for Machaka:

No more big, scary spiders:

And savour the fruits of our labour in Agartha:

Nazca takes TC's cap from Mictlan around this point and throws up the eyes of god.
He shares the graphs, but leaves his own nation out, making people suspicious of him.

Phlegra's and mine naps with Nazca are about to run out and we agree to hit him next.
Nazca bumps Aspho, the fire shield disagreeing with the manikin:

Turn 35, bloodhunting still anemic.

Uruk's army made it back to the frontline.

Nazca is under siege in the throne province that kicked off the war and breaks out.

He doesn't get enough undead on the board for rigor mortis to put everyone to sleep.

Phlegra casts the fate of oedipus.
The first lvl 4 Garmhirding!

Coming in at 48 kills.

Hof:

Turn 37:

Storming of Machaka:

I attack Bogus and forget about his special orders.

I've been making a bunch of bottles and my prophet picked up a shield somewhere.

All set to attack Nazca, who goes ai this turn.
I've also been gathering forces for the assault on the throne of splendour!
I've got my giants to hold the line, a howl caster to overwhelm the indies and a bunch of skratti with pen gear to hellbind heart this amazing f3s5d4 sphinx with 30 gems, who will fly into melee.

Haveing learned nothing from my fight with Machaka, my army gets flanked and my gygja eaten. Antimagic foils all charm attempts.

Phlegra kills a bunch of Uruk, likewise Mictlan Nazca.

Casualties in the Mictlan-Nazca conflict are very high throughout the war.

Next plan for this sphinx:

I try hellbinding the remaining bogus guys and forget that spells have ranges.

Angerboda though.

Arriving just in time, she empowers in astral to eventually make the rings.
I also anticipate being ganged up on with Nazca gone, so I've been gathering boosters and slaves for the astral corruption and horror phase.
She also twiceborns and gets a ring of returning.

Phlegra and I have been eating Nazca and he also invades Shinu.

Here Mictlan falls ill and goes ai too.
Coming in just in time :

Disease demons have been helping and one of them finds Nazca's god.

Returning saves him, but he does get diseased and dies soon after.

I sent in 5 vaetti assasins to hellbind the sphinx, but it turns out bloodslaves rarely show up in assasinations...
Four of the vaettis perish.

Aspho takes Uruk:

Phlegra and I bump.

And Phlegra attacks, taking the level two throne where I was building a fort.
A desperate grasp for thrones, he now only needed to grab one more level two.

I throw up a fifty gem gift of health and start horrorbombing.

His drakon and the sphinx get diseased by my demons.

My armies stay in Nazca to deal with the ai and protect the thrones.

Aspho and Shinu were not on board with Phlegra, so I send Shinu a thousand gold.
The Mictlan ai steals Phlegra's mother oak.

I send ten astral mages to magic duel the sphinx, you can guess how that goes.

Aspho takes a throne I had been prepping.

And I storm Nazca:

The ai recalled his god, he dies again.
Phlegra skirmishes with big armies, I lay traps, but he never advances into them.

We will only end up having one actual fight.

Vampire lords join the Phlegran front.

More Nazcan forts fall.

Tjatse has to help deal with the ai:

Nazca retakes his cap with 600 undead and 70 condors and recalls his god again.
My army spends some turns chasing Phlegran armies.

Turn 49:

Aspho joins in on being annyoing:

Sometimes they kill some priests, sometimes they meet Tjatse.

I try to take Phlegra's underwater throne:

The third one died retreating.

The horrors and vampires are slowly overwhelming Phlegra's heartland:

Disease demons stop ai offensives.
And my armies are grinding down the ai's forts.

Though they sometimes catch my sieging forces.

Sweet vamp action:

This is what you want, turn 51:

This isn't:

Almost over:

This is the biggest battle Phlegra and I have:

Very anticlimatic!

Asphodel runs into fire shield again, this time in Agartha.

I risked a mindhunt with Angerboda:

She wasn't wearing her ring, so she comes back as a wight.

AC starts upgrading lesser horrors:

And we storm Nazca's cap again:

That's ravenous swarm, rain, foul vapours, relief, blood rain and howl, ofcourse.
Notably absent: some kind of poison resistance.

Third time's the charm.

Rip don't die this time buddy, almost made it.
And that's it. Phlegra and Aspho go ai this turn. Shinu dispels AC and goes ai next turn.
I spent some turns grabbing thrones.

Situation at the end:

Graphs, the downswing is when everyone went ai:

Part of my starting army made it all the way to the end, these guys are the real winners:

I could just grow without any real opposition untill I became the lovable, unstoppable astral blood powerhouse I am today. Arco had 6 provinces to my 20+, Machaka 6 to my 40+, Agartha gave up easily. My only neighbours who could hurt me fought eachother. I was just glad I had so many scouts to see the action elsewhere.
I would like to thank horrors, Ferrus for boosters for horrors and carrion reanimation for sieging. Also that throne I spend so much effort conquering was in fact the throne of bureaucracy.

Shoutout to ganjdalf, those slingers were a great idea against condors, and to gpope for fighting so well against Agartha and Phlegra.
Thank you for reading and god bless.

uguu fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 13, 2019

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
That was literally my first ever Dominions MP game, so I was pretty chuffed to be among the last four nations standing, I counted that as a win. But once Phlegra went AI I decided to throw in the towel, too, I knew I couldn't make an actual difference. I also had literally no idea how to make a pretender, didn't really get half the mechanics, etc. and I didn't make my dominion anywhere near toxic enough to ruin everyone's day. But I've learned! I look forward to next time I can join an MA game as Asphodel, because that's going to be fun times.

Also the reason we were slow to dunk on Agartha was because Agartha actually convinced us you were the bigger threat, but I didn't actually have a border with you. Then when Agartha went AI he sent me all his magic junk and gems and invited me to take his forts. Uruk was just a target of opportunity in that, and it was kind of hilarious that he went AI because he had an army that could, if he had put his mind to it, completely cleaved me apart. But I managed to just sort of tie them up in a fort with repeated casts of Dark Slumber that the AI didn't understand how to deal with.

Still surprised I managed to hang in there for so long while being so green, but good fun.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

My own commentary,

This was the second Dominions game I joined. Never having played Phlegra before (My last game was as Pythium).

I thought I did pretty well expanding and was able to snag a pair of throne provinces in the first 20 turns. Out of my neigbors I made an NAP with Uruk and Nazca. I never formally made an agreement with Purple, but kept troops on my border which I guess was enough to dissuade an attack. Same for Gpope after an early bump.

I decided to target Pythium because having played as them I had a vague idea of how they play. Cut a deal with Machaka who gave me a bunch of gems to help. Offered to split the territory with Uruk.Also Also did an NAP with Gpope to cover my back.

Pythium lost its god to Machaka and then other than a silly hydra sortie just turtled on his cap.
I summoned birds in the hope they could fly in qnd prevent the theurg communion from seriously murdering my storming troops. Also cut a deal with Asphodel by letting him know where Uruks army was after he took most of Pythiums land.

Nazca put up eyes of god and after reading the ramc.lp where he won by tricking everyone he wasnt a threat I agreed to attack with Jotun. Now I was relatively close to a push win. Got a few dozen fire gems to take down eyes of god, which was moot... since that same turn Nazca went AI. Decided to invade through Gpope to steal some thrones. (This was dumb because he had no thrones and there were more direct paths). Also Didnt realize how much skelespam could do. I also was unnerved by just the sheer number of Manikins and associated undead chaff Purple had so avoided attacking, when I did attack I learned manikins kinda suck.

I wouldn't have attacked Gpope without some battlefield clearing spells like firestorm and earthquake or rain of stones if I knew just how much skele spam he could do having like 20+ Bakemeno Sorcerers. Also with Mictlan going AI I realized it was probably between me and Jotun to try to win and panicked. So I changed a bunch of my orders around near the turn deadline and set out the final stage of the game.

Bumped Jotun, AI agartha killed my god. I desperately cobbled together some troops to try to take Asphodels thrones. While being horror bombed and vampire raided. I learned how frustrating / scary late game blood is (see the gently caress off message). I was mostly hoping to stall Jotun long enough to grab the last couple thrones because I was just utterly outclassed. So I was trying to avoid fighting as much as possible.

My research was really unfocused and didnt commit to either trying to buff up my tyrants or the opressor communions or get good rituals. Which left both weaker than I would have liked, I also probably relied too much on troops and those Glossos of Jotun could just trample them. After losing a 3 point throne and most of my territory to scouts attacking after a horror bomb I just got overwhelmed and went AI.

I was shocked I got relatively close to an ascension win, but my lack of knowledge of other factions and no real late game focus to my strategy I got bounced pretty easily. In general the last ten turns before going AI was me panicking and doing a bunch of dumb things in sequence.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 14, 2019

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jack2142 posted:

Decided to invade through Gpope to steal some thrones.

:colbert:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Lmao pretty much.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 14, 2019

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

uguu posted:

He later tells me he forgot about incarnateness affecting blesses, causing his expansion to be subpar.

I TOLD YOU THAT IN CONF- I mean haha what a rube, what an absolute noob

I basically ran into Nazca and Jotunheim almost immediately, and then Nazca hosed me up with sacred flaming buzzards until I won a fight at my cap and paid them gems to go away. And then the pretender dog came in. After dealing with that (dog literally dying of poison at almost the last possible moment before retreating), I didn't have any plans other than maybe blitz nazca until I died or maybe kit out a ton of bane spiders and assassinate harass everyone. And then the giants came in. It was not a successful game, but it was entertaining

Highwayleopard
Aug 18, 2017
Hello fellow pretender friends, I was told that I should probably post the fact that I'm doing an LP of Newbad, a non-game winner only game. Feel free to come look if you want to feel good about how not bad you are at pixel mens!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3891653

CrazyJesus
Jun 6, 2008
Also in the discord there is a 30 player game that's going to be on a map of the earth about to start.

This sounds... fun!? :tif:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
stealth shaming the folks who haven’t uploaded

CrazyJesus
Jun 6, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

stealth shaming the folks who haven’t uploaded

i'm more stealth shaming myself for signing up in the first place

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

CrazyJesus posted:

Also in the discord there is a 30 player game that's going to be on a map of the earth about to start.

This sounds... fun!? :tif:

:getin:

I'm Ur. Again.

Some day I will play somethinng else.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
If Ry'Lyeh doesn't cast a turn 10 burden of time I'm going to be so disappointed in the loss of opportunity in that game.

Washout fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 19, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do you mean ermor

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I probably should have asked this before I picked a fight with a blood nation, but does anyone have any good recommendations to how to counter blood vengeance bless? How exactly does that mechanic work?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

sullat posted:

I probably should have asked this before I picked a fight with a blood nation, but does anyone have any good recommendations to how to counter blood vengeance bless? How exactly does that mechanic work?

Okay, so if your guy actually does damage to a BV blessed, he gets an MR roll at difficulty 12. If he fails it, he takes exactly the damage he dealt as untyped, armor-negating damage. What doesn't trigger it, as far as I know, is poison ticks and summons.

So either tons of in-battle summons, spells like poison cloud, high MR, or a single guy who wipes them all with a battlefield clear whom you don't mind losing, would seem to be the pro move.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Stuff like Master Enslave should also work, since you're not doing damage.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Soul slay?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Libluini posted:

Stuff like Master Enslave should also work, since you're not doing damage.

Still mid game, alas. Maybe stellar cascades and let the expendable dudes do the killing. Now I need to fake being sick so I can go home and change the scripts before the turn posts.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

sullat posted:

Still mid game, alas. Maybe stellar cascades and let the expendable dudes do the killing. Now I need to fake being sick so I can go home and change the scripts before the turn posts.

Maybe you should have thought about this before you invaded me like a ding-dong.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Dai owni.

Also never ever play cold yomi, jeesh.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

uguu posted:

Dai owni.

Also never ever play cold yomi, jeesh.

This will forever be the funniest poo poo to happen in that game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

40% off in Steam. Buy a copy to a friend or something.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

LordSloth posted:

It’s not a dominions campaign unless one of the gods accidentally drowns himself, herself, or stoneself.

The best thing would be if an oracle fountain managed to drown itself.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

All the magic water gets diluted by the not magic water bing bong bing so simple

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I bought this during the recent sale. How do I actually join a game? Just sign up through the bot on the discord server then enter the server address provided and upload a pretender once I'm in the game? Am I right to assume I don't have to create an account on the snek.earth site unless I want to host a game? I've played some dominions 3 multiplayer but it was all through a site back then.

e: some helpful people in the discord answered this. If anyone else was wondering all joining games is indeed done through discord. Look forward to losing some games with you guys soon.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 30, 2019

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I bought this during the recent sale.

Condolences and congrats.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I bought this during the recent sale. How do I actually join a game? Just sign up through the bot on the discord server then enter the server address provided and upload a pretender once I'm in the game? Am I right to assume I don't have to create an account on the snek.earth site unless I want to host a game? I've played some dominions 3 multiplayer but it was all through a site back then.

e: some helpful people in the discord answered this. If anyone else was wondering all joining games is indeed done through discord. Look forward to losing some games with you guys soon.

See you in the 'verse!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh, uh. hey. thanks man. yeah no it's great, i've got big plans for this thing

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Gotta admit managing to make that deal is pretty cunning.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Ugh, I mean... At least Nazca has human slave captains that can use this? I guess?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Mallquis don't float or fly, do they?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, this isn't from a game I'm playing (it's from an MP game on Youtube), but this is pretty silly.

It's turn 9. Just some random province.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Reminds me of this province with a tag team of wizards I had in one of my MP-games. They were just sitting around in a random province and scripted to just spam elementals. Got me three times with that poo poo before I just left them alone until I could just steamroll them.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i had that happen while i was practicing expansion stuff with abysia

they were summoning fire elementals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tollymain posted:

i had that happen while i was practicing expansion stuff with abysia

they were summoning fire elementals

In my case it was a mix of water and air. Maximum carnage. (My poor leaders)