Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

why is bootcha pissing on my front door

Breaking your shtick.

In actual hockey stuff, Christmas in June: Two goals in a week, one off a faceoff that was clean and over the goalie's glove.

The second one in a game we played the dark horse to the #1 team in the playoffs. We were up 3-0, but the other team clawed it back to 3-2 with about 2 minutes to go. The puck's in their zone and it's a situation of "I'm too tired to forecheck, but it's my turn to forecheck", so I make the honest if tired effort. The D guy with the puck in front of an empty net (about the hash marks) tries to put it between my legs, and I managed to get my skate on it and kick it back and past him. I nearly kick it into the net, and I have to sprint and dive-poke it to get the extra touch before it goes in. While the bench is cheering, I'm just laying there trying to catch my breath.

Felt good.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Guys, guys... I have finally located the mythical "outside edges," and successfully skated on them and them alone for a few minutes, just doing gentle turns left and right. I feel enlightened.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Guys, guys... I have finally located the mythical "outside edges," and successfully skated on them and them alone for a few minutes, just doing gentle turns left and right. I feel enlightened.

Your cross-overs are going to be amazing once you get that underside push going with that edge

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now do it BACKWARDS.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

xzzy posted:

Now do it BACKWARDS.

I've been skating for 2 years now and my backwards outside edges are still complete garbage. :smith:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I've been skating for 2 years now and my backwards outside edges are still complete garbage. :smith:

5 years and I still haven't got them right :smug:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

xzzy posted:

Now do it BACKWARDS.

I'm going to need lessons from coach Caitlin for that :allears:

It's very weird, as my forward crossovers are solid - it was just when I thought "Okay, outside edges now" that I would turn into a baby deer on skates.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
Did my first session as a goalie last night at my LTP session after only skating out. Holy poo poo it was a blast, besides being completely physically wrecked. Having like 13 people continuously fire shots at you for an hour is one of the most draining things ever. I was able to get the shuffle down, and t-pushes to one side, and surprisingly I was able to save a ton of shots. Got scolded a bit for trying to use my glove down on the ice (played baseball my entire life, hard habit), but I think I'll keep playing in net for awhile, since it was so fun.

Any Goon goalies (goonies?) have any advice for the beginner?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

TheJetCityFix posted:

Did my first session as a goalie last night at my LTP session after only skating out. Holy poo poo it was a blast, besides being completely physically wrecked. Having like 13 people continuously fire shots at you for an hour is one of the most draining things ever. I was able to get the shuffle down, and t-pushes to one side, and surprisingly I was able to save a ton of shots. Got scolded a bit for trying to use my glove down on the ice (played baseball my entire life, hard habit), but I think I'll keep playing in net for awhile, since it was so fun.

Any Goon goalies (goonies?) have any advice for the beginner?

Focus on skating and positioning. Everything else comes from that. If you have specific things you're having trouble with, I can try to offer some insight.

Unrelated: I spent 40 bucks on a clothing rack.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It's just like going forwards, except your body rejects the motion twice as much so you have to concentrate even harder to make it feel natural.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

xzzy posted:

It's just like going forwards, except your body rejects the motion twice as much so you have to concentrate even harder to make it feel natural.

I think the problem is going forward you lean forward. Going backwards I have that same positional desire to have my upper body forward. So I end up falling forward. You need to sit in that chair more and be a bit straighter up.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

doctor 7 posted:

I think the problem is going forward you lean forward. Going backwards I have that same positional desire to have my upper body forward. So I end up falling forward. You need to sit in that chair more and be a bit straighter up.

This is 100% my biggest problem when working on backwards crossovers. I lean forward too much. So when I work on them, I try to force myself to sit down and keep my head up.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Won our B league championship game 6-5 in OT :toot:. Our playoffs is double elimination and we actually lost our second game so we had to beat this team twice in a row to win it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

This is 100% my biggest problem when working on backwards crossovers. I lean forward too much. So when I work on them, I try to force myself to sit down and keep my head up.

Keep your head up? In hockey? What game are you really playing...

Ginette Reno posted:

Won our B league championship game 6-5 in OT :toot:. Our playoffs is double elimination and we actually lost our second game so we had to beat this team twice in a row to win it.

:respek:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Honestly the best way to keep your head up is to bend your knees more. If you've got an appropriate amount of bend you can see the puck on your stick out of your peripheral vision.

I think it takes a solid 3 years before you can really get that proper knee bend going because it's awkward enough learning to skate and get your balance point. That squat bend is loving exhausting and took me years to get used to.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Speaking of pros clowning people, I have a friend of a friend who all I know "used to play hockey" and has been looking to get back into it after being out for a few years. I kept offering him a spot on my silver team for the past couple years just to have some fun, but he never responded due to being busy with work and kids and normal life stuff. Finally, this season, I saw him at a kids birthday party, asked him again, and he said "I'm in."

Got him registered on my team, and then I googled his name at my wife's recommendation. Turns out he played 4 years on a very very good NCAA div 1 team, played in the Frozen Four, and played on an ECHL team for a few years.

20 seconds into warmups in our first game, I could tell this wasn't going to last. It was incredible how good of a skater he was, just in freakin warmups. After the warmups, our goalie skated over to me and said "is this for real? this guy is unbelievable."

The first game, he hung back on D and we ended up throttling the lovely team in the league as par for the course. The second game, however, we hadn't beat this team in 2 solid years. We're down 3-1 going into the third. He has our only goal so far, then he scores 2 goals in 2 shifts to tie it up. Absolutely straight-up clowns their D, which includes a couple gold-caliber players. We end up winning 5-3. It was unreal seeing someone skate like that. He'd score a goal and the whole bench would sit there confused and ask how the gently caress he just did what he just did. The best part is we're cool with most of the people on the other team, and it was downright hilarious to watch them cry about how good he was despite them rostering no less than 5-6 gold-caliber players on their roster that very night.

He lasted until after that second game before he was removed from our roster by our HD. I don't think I've ever seen anyone thrown out of a league mid-season. They always keep everyone's money and just say "ok, but you have to move up next season." It was definitely the right decision, but I'd never seen anyone tossed that quickly.

I can't get over how effortless he made carving the D up look. Getting a constant barrage of saucer passes right on my tape was loving awesome. It was so much fun playing with someone of that caliber. And it makes me sad that I've reached my skill peak and will never be good at this dumb game.

Dude brought a case of beer for pre and post-game beers those two weeks too :hellyeah:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

(Hockey skills)

Dude brought a case of beer for pre and post-game beers those two weeks too :hellyeah:

That is a dude to try to play with again.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Yeah anyone that brings/buys beers before and after games is definitely a keeper. I wouldn't care if they were complete poo poo at the game.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
OK goons I'm in need of a new stick. What's the best value around? I usually use a 75 flex PM9

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

lazerwolf posted:

OK goons I'm in need of a new stick. What's the best value around? I usually use a 75 flex PM9

Doesn't Hockey Monkey usually have a 4th of July sale? If you can wait two weeks, there should be some really good deals.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't think I'm ever going to use anything but a pre-broken hockey stick ever again. can't beat $60 for a pro level stick

https://www.hockeystickman.com/collections/refurbished

You can kind of tell the different in weight based on where it was fixed but lol if that makes any difference whatsoever for a plug like me who tapes his stick twice a year

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Paying more than $70 for a stick is silly.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Christmas in June continues, got a make-a-wish game subbing in the top draft league, with two assists. And two golden chances I couldn't bury, the first I completely miffed, and the second my stick breaking in a moment I had all the time in the world in front. But otherwise the guys were complementary and encouraging, and it was probably the best positional game I've played in a long time.

My souvenir being, of course the one time I decide "oh, I don't need my shoulder pads", a clearing attempt in the tit. Right on the nipple.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bewbies posted:

I don't think I'm ever going to use anything but a pre-broken hockey stick ever again. can't beat $60 for a pro level stick

https://www.hockeystickman.com/collections/refurbished

You can kind of tell the different in weight based on where it was fixed but lol if that makes any difference whatsoever for a plug like me who tapes his stick twice a year

How often do they get new stock in? They're sold out of like 95% of refurbished sticks for righties.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I was just looking and noticed that too.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I've been pretty happy with all black tbh

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Yeah my all black has been ok, thinking about getting another

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What are these outside edges you guys are talking about? Sounds a lot like the female orgasm to me (a complete myth)

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Exactly. They're both mythical and get faked all the time.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Stupid ref lost sight of a loose puck and blew it dead a half second before we knocked it into the net. :argh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe score on the initial shot next time!

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of refs, we have a new-ish one that refs on our pond ice (you don't have to be USAH cert'ed to ref pond-style hockey, so he doesn't have a patch). I swear he either has severe asthma or half a lung left, because his whistles are like a gentle breeze and his calls are whispers. I mean, literally the only words he has to say are "Goalie?" and "Three!" (for a three line pass which is a no-no for the pond league), and the rest is just whistles and pointing. But even the sounds of skates on ice will sometimes drown out his whistles.

I'm grateful for a ref to be there, but sometimes I just wonder if it isn't a health issue, and he utterly just doesn't want to be there at all.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I got knocked down in front of the net by the hash marks last night in drop in.

I saw the guy coming at the last second and it seemed clear he didn't slow down.

I got up and was thinking 'what the gently caress'.

On the bench and coming off the ice a couple guys told me the dude pretty much took a run at me.

The guy was in the locker room after the game, as he was leaving I broke his stick stopped and told him that I have a right to my positioning and you can play the body, but you can't just ram into someone.

He said 'ok' and walked out the door.

Apparently the dude, I'm hearing from others, is a hot head. Has pulled this stuff before over perceived slights.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Better hold on to your gloves then.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Butts is it a private drop in?

Can’t believe anyone didn’t say something to him for you.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Uh, ref, you're not playing.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Had a game last night with really tight reffing. By the scoresheet, it would appear to have been a nasty game but it actually wasn't at all. Barely anything was ill-will towards the other team, the refs were just calling every single ticky tack thing. We got 10 minors for 20 minutes worth of penalties. We had 2 in the first, 1 in the second and 7 penalties in the third period. We ended up losing 6-4 despite having felt like the better team all game. Its tough when you play essentially half the game on the PK including several 5 on 3s.

I had one of the nicer goals I've scored in a while. My opposite wing and I were breaking into the zone, he skated up the left boards and I came off the right boards approaching the middle of the ice. We cross the blue line when he gets pressured and sauces me a pass through two defensemen. When it lands, I catch it with the inside of my right skate and in one fluid motion I kick it back to my stick which is now on the forehand and notice the goalie sliding left to right so I shoot it back to the left under his arm. As I stop behind the crease I see that it snuck through his arm pit and was sitting in the net. Earned the game mvp for my forechecking and back checking, plus the goal and assist.

Felt good. I should eat dinner right before I leave and burn my pan on a hot pan before every game.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

We got 10 minors for 20 minutes worth of penalties.

Pffft I had 20 minutes of penalties stemming from one "penalty" this past Sunday night alone :smuggo:

(Oh I'm very much suspended for a game :shrug:)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Lol. Let's see that score sheet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

gently caress that let's hear the story.