Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What's this game all about?

Harbinger is a first-person adventure game, with some action elements, which takes place on Deep Space Nine. We take control of Envoy Bannik, a young Tirrion envoy of the elite Federation Diplomatic Corps, in training to be an ambassador. We arrive at the station during a turbulent time, in a tumultuous way, and it can only go downhill from there. This game plays like your typical first-person adventure. The graphics are very lovely and detailed but unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot to interactive with. Five of the main cast members lend their excellent voice acting to this game, but we do miss out on cameos from some sublime characters. The technical reasons for the lack of the main cast are down to the time and cost of using "pre-rendered" images. There is an in-game explanation that ties into the plot, I won't spoil anything in the OP.

This game was developed in 1995 and released in March 1996. Memory Alpha confirms that the game is set between the third and fourth seasons: "The stardate given by Envoy Bannik, combined with Sisko's rank of captain with his goatee and unshaven head, firmly places the game between "The Adversary" and "The Way of the Warrior"."

This is another game from my youth that I played numerous times, but I always stopped and gave up at a certain point (If you have played this game you'll probably guess where.) I'll always have a fondness for this game, I'm still amazed that it even exists in the first place.

LP details

This will be a video LP in eleven parts. I'll be uploading a video once every three days. Usually, I record as I go but I've pre-recorded this LP due to the fact that my free time will be very limited for two or three weeks soon. I have made a few small faux-pas during commentary, I'll try and rectify them as I go along.

I aim to show off alternative dialogue and scenes in additional videos.

If you want to discuss or suggest anything that could be considered spoilers, please use the appropriate tags.

Let's Play Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Harbinger

Bonus Videos

Part 1 - Additional Scenes & Dialogue
First Conversation With Odo, Initial Ops Interactions, First Conversation With Dax, First Conversation With Dax & Kira, Second Conversation With Dax & Kira, First Conversation With Sisko, Ending Sequence 1.
Part 2 - Additional Dialogue
First Conversation With Vedek Rasmus Selin, First Conversation With Quark, First Conversation With Jani Tharen.
Part 3 - Additional Dialogue
Second Conversation With Odo, Returning To Odo, Third Conversation With Odo, Second Conversation With Sisko, First Conversation With Dax.
Part 4 - Additional Dialogue
Pre-Karrig Conversation With Ensign Desma Yarrow, "First" Conversation With Ensign Desma Yarrow, First Conversation With Scythians, Second Conversation With Dax.
Part 5 - Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Conversation With Dax, Sisko & Kira, First Conversation With Kira, Fourth Conversation With Odo, Ending Sequences 2 & 3.
Part 6 - Additional Dialogue
"Second" Conversation With Ensign Desma Yarrow, Second Conversation With Scythians, Third Conversation With Sisko, Conversation With Sisko & Odo, Third Conversation With Dax, Second Conversation With Vedek Rasmus Selin.
Part 7 - Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Third Conversation With Scythians, Ending Sequences 4-8, Fifth Conversation With Odo, Second Conversation With Jani Tharen, Conversation With Quark & Rhoon, Second Conversation With Kira.
Part 8 - Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Holosuite Programs, Conversation With Sisko & Scythians, Ending Sequences 9-11, Sixth Conversation With Odo, Ending Sequence 12.
Part 9 - Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Ending Sequence 13, Second Conversation With Quark, Third Conversation With Quark, First Conversation With Keel & Ending Sequence 14, First Conversation With Tactical & Ending Sequences 15-19
Part 10 - Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Conversation With Control & Ending Sequence 20, Seventh Conversation With Odo, Ending Sequence 21, Conversation With Control & Rhoon, Conversation With Control & Odo, Fourth Conversation With Quark, Second Conversation With Tactical, Ending Sequence 22, Control & Rhoon Conversation In Full, Ending Sequence 23.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I've never actually heard of this game, but I wasn't really a PC gamer back when it would've come out (what, 1995 or something?). Still, I'm quite fond of DS9 and vaguely curious to see where this goes.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

KieranWalker posted:

I've never actually heard of this game, but I wasn't really a PC gamer back when it would've come out (what, 1995 or something?). Still, I'm quite fond of DS9 and vaguely curious to see where this goes.

I forgot to add the release info to the OP, I'll get on that. The game was developed in 1995 and released in March 1996. Memory Alpha confirms that the game is set between the third and fourth seasons:

quote:

The stardate given by Envoy Bannik, combined with Sisko's rank of captain with his goatee and unshaven head, firmly places the game between "The Adversary" and "The Way of the Warrior".

Despite a lot of flaws, I still think that this game has a lot of charm.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Jeez, that drone shooting minigame. No indicators for anything, constant wild and uncontrollable camera swings, inconsistent hitboxes...I never thought I'd miss the space fighting in A Final Unity, but here we are.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
This looks pretty cool, I love DS9 and didn't know there were any games for it other than The Fallen. It is a shame we're missing out on the full cast. Odo, Quark, Dax and Sisko are all awesome. Never been a Major Kira fan, but the most glaring omission is clearly O'Brien and Bashir. Sure they aren't as important technically, but they are a hilarious duo.

At least we have the excuse that Worf isn't assigned to the station yet.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
You should add a link on the previous thread OP, I completely forgot you were continuing on star trek until YouTube showed me the new video.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Gatac posted:

Jeez, that drone shooting minigame. No indicators for anything, constant wild and uncontrollable camera swings, inconsistent hitboxes...I never thought I'd miss the space fighting in A Final Unity, but here we are.

It was worse than what I remembered, but I'm not sure if it's because I'm playing on a faster system. I used to be a crack shot on my old P133.

Zushio posted:

This looks pretty cool, I love DS9 and didn't know there were any games for it other than The Fallen. It is a shame we're missing out on the full cast. Odo, Quark, Dax and Sisko are all awesome. Never been a Major Kira fan, but the most glaring omission is clearly O'Brien and Bashir. Sure they aren't as important technically, but they are a hilarious duo.

At least we have the excuse that Worf isn't assigned to the station yet.

I only had a brief time with The Fallen, I might check it out properly one day. Sisko and O'Brien being voiced by other people is very disconcerting though. O'Brien and Bashir are the two biggest characters missing from this, they could have just been voices over the comm system.

Kira was one of my favourite characters!

By popular demand posted:

You should add a link on the previous thread OP, I completely forgot you were continuing on star trek until YouTube showed me the new video.

I'll post the link now.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Aw man, not just DS9 but early DS9. I knew this game existed but for some reason thought it was another FPS like The Fallen. So far it looks like a capable point and clicker but the minigames can gently caress right off. I'm not keen on having conversation options locked out so quickly without warning, either.

Still, the writing is decent and seems to have most of the cast down. I didn't check the credits, but it sounds like we're going to meet Quark shortly. I'll give this game a chance.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Loxbourne posted:

Aw man, not just DS9 but early DS9. I knew this game existed but for some reason thought it was another FPS like The Fallen. So far it looks like a capable point and clicker but the minigames can gently caress right off. I'm not keen on having conversation options locked out so quickly without warning, either.

Still, the writing is decent and seems to have most of the cast down. I didn't check the credits, but it sounds like we're going to meet Quark shortly. I'll give this game a chance.

The conversations being locked out was a pain in the rear end in some ways, but in other ways, the conversations felt like they flowed more natural compared to other adventure games. It was more annoying not being able to backtrack to previous topics for convenience mainly, but some options lead to unique dialogue choices and rare moments of action.

Recording extra dialogue is becoming very time consuming as the dialogue isn't skippable. I've just encoded the first bonus video, I've reduced over an hour of recording down to fifteen minutes. I've started to record bonus footage from the second episode and so far I have spent over an hour recording dialogue paths from only two conversations, and I'm still not sure that I managed to find all the options for one of them. It's been worth it though as there have been some great moments missed from the main playthrough.

As for the mini-games, they're sparingly used thankfully. At this point in time, I don't want to say too much. The first part of the game is pretty fun as we get to explore the station and meet people.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I'm just wondering how the automatic subtitles on YouTube managed to get "Major Kira Nerys" perfectly, but Dax apparently has a new host named "John Xia."

That said, I haven't seen either of the DS9 adventure games (I got Dominion Wars instead when I was younger. That was... An Experience.) Looking forward to seeing where Harbinger goes. (And don't worry, this time, I won't request shitloads of data requests from the computer because I miss Majel Barrett as the computer because I was curious to see how much Trek lore was in the game!)

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Snorb posted:

I'm just wondering how the automatic subtitles on YouTube managed to get "Major Kira Nerys" perfectly, but Dax apparently has a new host named "John Xia."

That said, I haven't seen either of the DS9 adventure games (I got Dominion Wars instead when I was younger. That was... An Experience.) Looking forward to seeing where Harbinger goes. (And don't worry, this time, I won't request shitloads of data requests from the computer because I miss Majel Barrett as the computer because I was curious to see how much Trek lore was in the game!)

It's all good, I appreciated all the suggestions for both games. Computer access in this game is extremely limited, but it's nice that Judi M. Durand reprised the role for the game.

I've just looked at the voice acting for The Fallen. I'm wondering why everyone but Avery Brooks and Colm Meaney reprised their roles, even though their characters are in the game. I may have to pick up a disc one day as I'm curious about the game now.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
John Xia is the Chinese version of John Cena. And totally the new name for a character the next time I play Romance of the three kingdoms or something.

More seriously, oof, man, early adventure games feel pretty rough. "There's only 5 of us on an entire starbase because of technical limitations, i mean, budgetary reasons, I mean, uh, plasma storm?" Still, mand this got me nostalgic for some DS9. Going to need to amazon some dvds.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Last I looked all of DS9 was on Netflix. At least in Canada.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Nice. I think I had a demo for this game but I never played it. I just walked around the promenade for a while and flew a shuttle somehow.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Envoy Bannik has a relaxing stroll around the Promenades and talks to three new people.

I made a few faux-pas during this recording. At the start, I accidentally called the station a ship and referred to the holosuite as the holodeck. I also called the "Replimat" the "Canteen," to me it does just seem like cafeteria\canteen type place but I didn't call it by the official name. I did kinda address it in a later video. To give it a better description I will copy and paste from Memory Alpha:

quote:

A replimat was a self-serve eatery where the foods and beverages were produced by replicators. There was a replimat located on the Promenade of Deep Space 9 where one could order a wide variety of food and beverages from several replicators. However, the replimat did not feature Ferengi foods. (DS9: "Rules of Acquisition") The replimat was one of several areas on the station suitable in size and seating accommodations for large social gatherings and informal meetings. The replimat was also where the station's inhabitants ate a majority of their midday meals and the site of frequent lunch appointments.

Here is the first of the Bonus Videos. I have recorded more conversation but I need to edit them, I'll try to include one with each video upload of the main playthrough.

Part 1 - Additional Scenes & Dialogue,
First Conversation With Odo, Initial Ops Interactions, First Conversation With Dax, Second Conversation With Dax & Kira, Second Conversation With Dax & Kira, First Conversation With Sisko, Ending Sequence 1.

The next update is due Friday but I'll be travelling for around 15 hours that day. So it will most likely happen on Saturday instead.

Jade Star posted:

More seriously, oof, man, early adventure games feel pretty rough. "There's only 5 of us on an entire starbase because of technical limitations, i mean, budgetary reasons, I mean, uh, plasma storm?" Still, mand this got me nostalgic for some DS9. Going to need to amazon some dvds.

Zushio posted:

Last I looked all of DS9 was on Netflix. At least in Canada.

It's still on Netflix at the moment, it's also available to buy on Amazon Prime.

Philman posted:

Nice. I think I had a demo for this game but I never played it. I just walked around the promenade for a while and flew a shuttle somehow.

I didn't even realise that they released a demo, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Johnny? Her name is Johnny? I swear i heard it as Jenny the first time. What the hell?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Or something alien like Jani, or Jah’nee , or J’hah’kn’ii or

Sorry, I’ll stop now.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

It confused me as at first it sounds like is called Joh-nee, then later on it sounds Ya-nee like and later on it sounds like she is being referred too as Yo-ni. The characters name is Jani.

I also found out for the first in over twenty years that Bannik has a secret nickname. I'm not sure if it is only revealed by doing something out of sequence, I need to do some more testing with recording additional footage. I don't know wether to spoil it now or wait until I upload the video next week.

Edit: I have a friend called Jani from the Czech Republic.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, we speak to Odo again and thank him for aiding us. We also, finally, get to meet Ambassador Karrig to hear what he has to say for himself.

I was hoping to keep up the pace with these bonus videos, but my daughter is here and staying with me for a couple of weeks so things on this side may slip behind. I intend to keep the main playthrough schedule going.

Bonus video:

Part 2 - Additional Scenes & Dialogue
First Conversation With Vedek Rasmus Selin, First Conversation With Quark, First Conversation With Jani Tharen.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Bannik finally meets the Scythians and we gain access to Karrig's logs. I'll most likely have the next set of additional conversations uploaded tomorrow night.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This bonus video contains additional dialogues from the third episode.
Part 3 - Additional Dialogue
Second Conversation With Odo, Returning To Odo, Third Conversation With Odo, Second Conversation With Sisko, Third Conversation With Dax.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

I love all the mid-late 90's Trek Games. This game is really rare, I never got to play it.
Thank you!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
"We couldn't get Kai Winn's actress in so here's an ersatz character", huh.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Oh good, the key to talking to the totally not mutons in robes is to say less then they do. Awesome. Because you know, language is so loving precise that single words have the ability to accurately describe any single thought or event or idea with absolute distinction from any other similar thought, event, or idea.

gently caress you aliens.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
An entire race of barely functioning autistics?! Can they not even tolerate the written word?! Hand gestures?! Pictographs?!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Bannik explores the rest of the logs, has an unexpected meeting with Kira and finds Odo in a compromising position.

I didn't realise that I was a day late with uploading this, I'll upload the next video on Sunday. This additional video also reveals Bannik's code name: Big Bang

Part 4 - Additional Dialogue
Pre-Karrig Conversation With Ensign Desma Yarrow, "First" Conversation With Ensign Desma Yarrow, First Conversation With Scythians, Fourth Conversation With Dax.

caps on caps on caps posted:

I love all the mid-late 90's Trek Games. This game is really rare, I never got to play it.
Thank you!

You're welcome. If you can find a copy of the game it isn't too hard to set up with Dosbox.

Loxbourne posted:

"We couldn't get Kai Winn's actress in so here's an ersatz character", huh.

I don't think that it was a problem to get ahold of Louise Fletcher, I think it was more to keep costs down.

Jade Star posted:

Oh good, the key to talking to the totally not mutons in robes is to say less then they do. Awesome. Because you know, language is so loving precise that single words have the ability to accurately describe any single thought or event or idea with absolute distinction from any other similar thought, event, or idea.

gently caress you aliens.

An entire race of barely functioning autistics?! Can they not even tolerate the written word?! Hand gestures?! Pictographs?!

Just wait until the second half, events may piss you off even further. Edit: I'd love to elaborate, but its spoiler heavy.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 5, 2019

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, the Scythians become more co-operative and we start to piece together the clues of what is going on inside and outside of the station.

Part 5 - Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Conversation With Dax, Sisko & Kira, Third Conversation With Kira, Fourth Conversation With Odo, Ending Sequences 2 & 3.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 13, 2019

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I'm convinced they are just loving with the federation.
:greencube: So those drones had gone haywire and are attacking the station, shouldn't we share everything we know with our hosts?
:smugmrgw: -Nope, just make a big bowl of space popcorn and enjoy the show.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, we speak to many people again (some for the last time) and you get to see an action puzzle segment that really isn't fun. It's downright infuriating if you don't know what you're doing. This episode is also the start of the end game, we are now long past the halfway point.

Part 6 - Additional Dialogue
"Second" Conversation With Ensign Desma Yarrow, Second Conversation With Scythians, Third Conversation With Sisko, Conversation With Sisko & Odo, Third Conversation With Dax, Second Conversation With Vedek Rasmus Selin.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
The :spergin: are not getting any easier to handle, poor ensign Yarro could have lived if they wouldn't be so loving vague.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The :spergin: are not getting any easier to handle, poor ensign Yarro could have lived if they wouldn't be so loving vague.

How they speak now is going to make even less sense later on in the game.

Edit: Cut out some minor spoilers.

Fake Edit: I've changed some of the descriptions of the bonus videos in the OP to make things more coherent.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 10, 2019

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

The game started off slow but I think it's getting... well, not good, but we're seeing more Odo and Quark and I think they're the best part of the game so far.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I found a few episodes on tv and man, I'd forgotten how much of a grumpy rear end in a top hat Odo is. I mean I knew he was a dick to Quark all the time, but Quark deserves it. But Odo is still such a grumpy butthole.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh wow, I remember this game! I actually owned and played it way back in the day. Never finished it though, so looking forward to seeing how it all ends :munch:.

Jade Star posted:

I found a few episodes on tv and man, I'd forgotten how much of a grumpy rear end in a top hat Odo is. I mean I knew he was a dick to Quark all the time, but Quark deserves it. But Odo is still such a grumpy butthole.

All of DS9, and the rest of Star Trek, is on Netflix if you want to watch it in full.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Odo acts like he's dealing with :spergin: all day everyday.
which may be closer to the truth than it first seems considering he probably deals mostly with drunk assholes who just lost on the tables.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

In this episode, Bannik finally meets the Scythians and we gain access to Karrig's logs. I'll most likely have the next set of additional conversations uploaded tomorrow night.

Did everyone miss "Nikto: Baradan word meaning 'arguing' "?

Klaatu would be very disappointed in you all! :goonsay:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

ArchWizard posted:

The game started off slow but I think it's getting... well, not good, but we're seeing more Odo and Quark and I think they're the best part of the game so far.

Jade Star posted:

Odo acts like he's dealing with :spergin: all day everyday.
which may be closer to the truth than it first seems considering he probably deals mostly with drunk assholes who just lost on the tables.

In my opinion, the continuous interpersonal relationships between the characters are one of the best things about the show. The relationship between Odo and Quark is an old one and it's played out strongly through the shows run. Odo comes across as a grumpy rear end in a top hat, especially in the first couple of seasons, but he has a wicked sense of humour and is a very emotional being in private. His character growth is one of my favourites through the shows run.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did everyone miss "Nikto: Baradan word meaning 'arguing' "?

Klaatu would be very disappointed in you all! :goonsay:

I'm missing something here.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I'm missing something here.
It's a reference to an old classic sci-fi movie from the '50s, The Day the Earth Stood Still: one important phrase used as a sort of verbal command for an impossibly powerful alien robot is "klaatu barada nikto", and given how influential this movie was for science fiction, especially in the US, it is very often referenced by other authors.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NZXmq-E2tM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, the crew plan to head to the Citadel and Bannik encounters the Harbinger. This is a mixed bag of all sorts, it contains three separate shooting mini-games and three separate cut scenes. The change of pace was quite welcoming, the show did contain its moments of action and this section fitted the bill even if it was pretty janky. If you watch until the end, the last five seconds contains the absolute bullshit that Bannik has to tackle in the next episode. I will have a few things to say in the next update.

The bonus footage so far has been a bit of a mixed bag for me as my time frame to record them has been extremely limited. I'm using a separate playthrough to record them and I've noticed that I'm missing some dialogue choices from the original playthrough. I believe that some choices only become available depending on the choices that you made in previous conversations. I also believe that a few lines of dialogue are randomised too. I'm trying to keep the main core of the dialogue options in the additional recordings. In this bonus video, two of the Lykotians didn't seem to want to kill me so they weren't included.

Part 7 - Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Third Conversation With Scythians, Ending Sequences 4-8, Fifth Conversation With Odo, Second Conversation With Jani Tharen, Conversation With Quark & Rhoon, Second Conversation With Kira.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 13, 2019