Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CRAYON posted:

The mouth looks really weird and reminds me of a face Tim Heidecker would make.

You're dead on, the mouth is the problem. It just looks so weird and goofy and ruins the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Halloween-4K-Blu-ray/220754/

This one is awesome and I’m glad i snagged one before it was gone forever.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I've heard good things about Halloven.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s really good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I was disappointed, but I went in expecting David Gordon Green to do something a bit more radical.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I don’t know why the soft reboot of John Carpenter’s Halloween turned into a Wes Craven Traps-in-a-House movie, but I still dug it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s not mind blowing but it’s still pretty solid and that puts it above most of the other films in the franchise.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Arrival-Blu-ray/195466/

This Arrival steelbook always blows my mind when I see it. Why yes, I would like Jeremy Renner's weird looking face on this "collectible" item.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alec Eiffel posted:

This Arrival steelbook always blows my mind when I see it. Why yes, I would like Jeremy Renner's weird looking face on this "collectible" item.

They did a whole series of them in this style and they all sucked.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alec Eiffel posted:

I have this because it cost 7 dollars. Otherwise I would’ve passed. I also got those awful awful comic book cover steel books for like 4 bucks each. They are the worst, but you can’t really beat that price.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/DAVID_LYNCH/status/1142477362925146112?s=19

Lynch don't want you to buy the Kino Lorber release.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

wa27 posted:

Saved me $20.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

wa27 posted:

FWIW, Kino apparently tried to work out something. Lynch didn't work with Shout! Factory or Twilight Time on the Wild at Heart Blu-rays, either. My guess is that he only wants to work with Criterion since he hasn't participated in any other Blu-ray era releases besides Blue Velvet... and even MGM's Blu-ray was off the transfer he supervised back in 2002.

Early word is that it's not that bad and pretty much on par with Wild at Heart. Especially since the transfer isn't that old (only from 2006-2007, apparently).

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

FWIW, Kino apparently tried to work out something. Lynch didn't work with Shout! Factory or Twilight Time on the Wild at Heart Blu-rays, either. My guess is that he only wants to work with Criterion since he hasn't participated in any other Blu-ray era releases besides Blue Velvet... and even MGM's Blu-ray was off the transfer he supervised back in 2002.

Early word is that it's not that bad and pretty much on par with Wild at Heart. Especially since the transfer isn't that old (only from 2006-2007, apparently).

For the price it seems worth it, regardless, just to have those films on blu. I don't mind double dipping for Lynch.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

Is this one of those things where the studio is the rights holder and he doesn't have any say in which publishers release his movies?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

So, just pulled the trigger on a laserdisc player. Found a 90s Sony model in beautiful condition - seller even had the original A/V cords and remote, plus it can play both sides. After watching some Techmoan videos, I'm confident that if there's any issues, I'll be able to fix them.

I've actually picked up a decent amount of used laserdiscs for cheap - all of these for $5 or under.

Citizen Kane (Criterion CLV/3rd edition)
The Magnificent Ambersons (Criterion/CAV first edition)
The Rules of the Game (Criterion/CAV)
Black Narcissus (Criterion)
The Silence of the Lambs (Criterion)
Touch of Evil (sealed!)
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (MGM/UA l"roadshow" and letter-box edition)
Kafka

Might do a video on these.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I always want to pick up a laserdisc player. Is there any real reason other than it's cool? Like are laserdiscs secretly as good as blu rays or something? Or is it just for completionists and weirdos like us?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Unmature posted:

is it just for completionists and weirdos like us?
That.

They're not even digital.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

So, just pulled the trigger on a laserdisc player. Found a 90s Sony model in beautiful condition - seller even had the original A/V cords and remote, plus it can play both sides. After watching some Techmoan videos, I'm confident that if there's any issues, I'll be able to fix them.

I've actually picked up a decent amount of used laserdiscs for cheap - all of these for $5 or under.

Citizen Kane (Criterion CLV/3rd edition)
The Magnificent Ambersons (Criterion/CAV first edition)
The Rules of the Game (Criterion/CAV)
Black Narcissus (Criterion)
The Silence of the Lambs (Criterion)
Touch of Evil (sealed!)
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (MGM/UA l"roadshow" and letter-box edition)
Kafka

Might do a video on these.

How long until you pick up Criterion's Bond releases?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Does Laserdisc look like poo poo on anything that's not a CRT?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgXDTYRjrs0

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cloks posted:

How long until you pick up Criterion's Bond releases?

Probably not since the commentaries are out there in mp3 form and I'm not really actively seeking out many titles.

Basically, I've gone to some second hand media stores like McCay's and Half Price Books. They tend to go for $2-5 at most of these places, so it's cheaper than buying a poster or printing something. Even something like It's a Mad... World was only $2.95. I passed on Criterions for Yojimbo, The Last Temptation of Christ, and Blade Runner because they wanted $20-50 for them.

Also, I'm curious about some of these older releases from a tech standpoint. I'm actually wanting to do some video history pieces on some of my favorite films and look at the various releases over the year. One of the few I'm actually looking for laserdiscs of is Lawrence of Arabia because I want to compare the 183 min. cut with the restored 227 min cut, not to mention see how badly the pan & scan was done since I've only ever seen it in widescreen (even on VHS).

Casimir Radon posted:

Does Laserdisc look like poo poo on anything that's not a CRT?

I have a few DVD-R dubs of laserdiscs that were given to me like the Criterions of Othello and The Magnificent Ambersons, as well as the complete "Hollywood" silent cinema miniseries. Terrible compared to Blu-ray, obviously, but quite watchable. I even managed to find a CED dub in my uncle's collection.

from CED:

Laserdiscs:

and from Blu-ray:

(text re-created as part of a demo of reconstructing the miniseries from better sources)

Really, the main stuff I'm wanting on laserdisc are some silent films that still aren't on DVD or Blu-ray and some animation. For example, Turner released box sets of cartoons like Looney Tunes, Tex Avery, Happy Harmonies, etc. with a lot of shorts still MIA from DVD.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 24, 2019

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Something, something Star Wars.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Something, something Star Wars.

I was going to joke about that, but the CLV 1993 discs appear to be cheap.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Eureka's Weimar sale is ending in a week so any suggestions on what discs to get?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Some notable releases for the Region B Brigade

Vanishing Point (Fabulous Films) - slipped under this thread's radar, apparently. This one comes with both the US and UK cuts of the film (the UK cut is almost 10 minutes longer, with a mysterious hitch-hiking woman played by Charlotte Rampling at the end of the film that was excised from the film in the US).

The Running Man (Fabulous Films) - This one finally gets a UK release (there were releases in continental Europe, and the Australian release seems to have gone out of print).

High Noon (Eureka) - An overdue release in the UK, this is being released via Eureka's Masters of Cinema imprint. Definitely worth getting excited about.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just buy a few LDs and keep them in your collection. Don’t waste the time of getting an actual player set up.

Techmoan and Technology Connections both have decent videos about LD on YouTube that are worth checking out.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I have LDs for a few movies - the BTTFs, ET, Lethal Weapon 2, stuff like that - and I have no earthly idea why I ever bought them and should probably just put them on eBay sometime.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Thanks for the reminder that I need to hop to Ikea and get a display case for my Star Wars LD

VvV
Both!
I checked last night because I was interested in a season 1-10 set and the prices are more stable (usually around $7-15, with some outliers in the $50s)

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 24, 2019

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I found the Simpsons Season 3 DVD set at Goodwill for $7. Either I got a good deal or the hype is dead.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boinks posted:

I found the Simpsons Season 3 DVD set at Goodwill for $7. Either I got a good deal or the hype is dead.

That's the season where they hit their stride, sounds like a good find to me

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If you need a physical version of the original Star Wars, you should really just download something like Harmy's Despecialized Edition or 4K77 and burn it to a Blu-Ray. You're not going to get better quality versions of the original unaltered movie than that, and it's easy enough to do.

It's a better option than buying a Laserdisc player and that movie on LD in 2019, unless you really can't live without an officially released version.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Iron Crowned posted:

That's the season where they hit their stride, sounds like a good find to me

They're being reprinted sans Michael Jackson episode, the prices briefly shot up when the news came out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rageaholic posted:

If you need a physical version of the original Star Wars, you should really just download something like Harmy's Despecialized Edition or 4K77 and burn it to a Blu-Ray. You're not going to get better quality versions of the original unaltered movie than that, and it's easy enough to do.

It's a better option than buying a Laserdisc player and that movie on LD in 2019, unless you really can't live without an officially released version.

I don't really rewatch Star Wars much and have both Despecialized and 4K77 (DNR) sitting on my hard disks. There's something really cool about that original print, it feels overexposed but I know that's because most of the home media versions are underexposed compared to how it originally looked like. There's so much white in it that nearly blows out, but man the contrast in that trench run sequence is so nice. The idea of watching an analog SD letterboxed laser disc over the available options is just not feasbile.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cloks posted:

They're being reprinted sans Michael Jackson episode, the prices briefly shot up when the news came out.

Ah, I forgot about that already

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm glad I grew up with the Special Editions and have no issue watching and enjoying them so I never have to get involved with all that De-Specialized Edition crap.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

To me, despecialized is an impressive feat of building a new print out of many other existing things to get what a Blu-Ray should look like. Watching what they do and how they do it is super interesting for sure. 4K77 is a different approach - they secured an original print and spent a ton of money scanning and color correcting it, and it's more designed to be projected to emulate what people sitting in the theater in 1977 would have seen. I'm not a drooling nerd who gets stuck up on all of Lucas' modifications, and I think things like Blade Runner Final Cut are superb, but there's some really bad additions made to the versions from the 90s onwards and the actual restoration work is of poo poo quality.

https://vimeo.com/124147988

This one shot is a pretty good representation of the blu-ray in comparison to what it should look like.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 24, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Basebf555 posted:

I'm glad I grew up with the Special Editions and have no issue watching and enjoying them so I never have to get involved with all that De-Specialized Edition crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR0b57coZFk

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I ate that poo poo up as a kid. More Han? Yes please!

Star Wars for me is 100% a nostalgia trip so it never gonna be rational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I ate that poo poo up as a kid. More Han? Yes please!

Star Wars for me is 100% a nostalgia trip so it never gonna be rational.

I did too, but I"m not a kid anymore and I recognize how terrible that looks, and how it was a completely unnecessary scene, that actually kills some of the pacing.