Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Buttcoin purse posted:

Can you still connect them together? At least in cases where I've had a newer (4 pin) plug from a new case and an older 3 pin socket on the motherboard, the plug has grooves so that it lines up with the 3 pins.
YUP! Don't have the RAM yet to test but just like you said the older connector has guide-grooves that help guide it into place. I mean, I should probably buy a new fan at some point but really, it was a budget build for funsies.

quote:

Is this USB 2 vs. USB 3 or some variants of USB 2??
Honestly it might just be a dumb HP Connector thing because other than the little side wings it's a perfectly normal USB 9 pin internal connector.
There's also a blue connector that maybe leads to a port that was papered over with the HP poo poo but I don't need it and I don't care to take it all apart to find out it's a USB 1.
Those usb speeds on the front are gonna suck so I may eventually just replace them...

quote:

:yossame:
USB flash too expensive, and my parallel port printer and SCSI scanner still worked. In fact the scanner still works and the problem with the printer is that ink won't come out, but it still moves the head. Might fix it one day..
poo poo, I didn't even use a Flash drive until HP hosed up my build in 2003 and I received a 16 meg drive as an apology.
I was kind of puzzled over why I never used the ports and forgot the thing had them until I realized that anything that would have been using USB at the time would have been way too expensive for me to actually own. Hell, they sold me a bundle printer that still used the parallel port and it was the Year Two-Thousand.

Sucks about the printer. I had one where ink had calcified in the supply link and it was just easier to chuck it.

I also realized my commercial purchasing habits were iffy. First computer was a Performa CD from The Good Guys. Next was an HP Sunday Special from Circuit City. If I ever buy a desktop from Best Buy, short them because they'll drop off the face of the earth a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Dell has 5 pin fan connectors. That no one else uses. Because gently caress you, that's why!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

This is true, and not far from what I said when I found out while trying to fix a work computer with spares from a non-dell.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Here's something I'd never seen before. A laptop with a translucent screen, so it can be placed on an overhead projector.

It comes with a little stand for when it's on the projector.

A reminder of the days when an LCD projector cost more than a car.

mystes
May 31, 2006

That reminds me of the TI Viewscreen for showing the screen from a calculator on an overhead projector.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

mystes posted:

That reminds me of the TI Viewscreen for showing the screen from a calculator on an overhead projector.

That has Techmoan written all over it.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Goddamn, how hot did either one of those get?
A normal slide projector usually would have some pretty drat strong bulbs for normal use. I imagine those would have to be scaled up a decent chunk further to illuminate through a screen like that.

(I imagine the answer is that the lights weren't that strong, and that the image sucked and was low contrast and low power. )

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SubNat posted:

Goddamn, how hot did either one of those get?
A normal slide projector usually would have some pretty drat strong bulbs for normal use. I imagine those would have to be scaled up a decent chunk further to illuminate through a screen like that.

(I imagine the answer is that the lights weren't that strong, and that the image sucked and was low contrast and low power. )

It's just an overhead projector, it worked fine, we had them in school

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

mystes posted:

I saw one of these in a calculus class at a funky dink community college

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Aren't overhead projectors themselves pretty much obsolete in schools now? IIRC they installed Smart Boards in all the schools in my district a few years after I graduated high school.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My mom had one of those projector laptops when I was a teen (she's a HS teacher) and I remember it being pretty crap late 90s early 00s LCD and REALLY streaky but actually pretty readable on the projector.

And projectors sometimes had fans in them to help exhaust heat, and the glass top was usually uncannily insulating, as it had to protect hands and transparencies from melting.

This is my anecdotal experience from 2 decades ago.

My mom doesn't use an overhead projector anymore, but uses a whiteboard and smartass now.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
They used to make standalone LCD panels that worked like that laptop. We had one in my college dorm to watch movies on the wall....it wasn’t great.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

My mom doesn't use an overhead projector anymore, but uses a whiteboard and smartass now.

so how do you help out your mother in the classroom? do you, like, hand out papers?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sounds like she ought to just hire you!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lester Shy posted:

Aren't overhead projectors themselves pretty much obsolete in schools now?
Some of the older teachers in Math hold onto them but yeah... you get a projector and a digital overhead with a lovely refresh rate for the most part now.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Horace posted:

Here's something I'd never seen before. A laptop with a translucent screen, so it can be placed on an overhead projector.

It comes with a little stand for when it's on the projector.

A reminder of the days when an LCD projector cost more than a car.

oh poo poo we had these in turn of the century high school, the ti calc ones too

always feel an urge to buy one of those old translucent projectors when I see em at Goodwill or wherever, to mod an old LCD panel onto for a cheap novelty projector- but then I remember how fuckin hot those things got from sometimes being fated to sit next to them in elementary school

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
I saw that TI overhead projector thing in my college in.... 2007ish.

An older math teacher swore by it in teaching how to use the calculator.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I built my first video projector using an overhead projector and taking apart a 12" flat panel monitor for the LCD panel.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I built my first video projector using an overhead projector and taking apart a 12" flat panel monitor for the LCD panel.

haha I remember reading instructions on how to do this back in the day but never tried

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
One of my old hippy profs thought Overhead projectors were the devils work and wheeled a chalkboard into the classroom with him. He was such a luddite he wouldn't even use a whiteboard.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

twistedmentat posted:

One of my old hippy profs thought Overhead projectors were the devils work and wheeled a chalkboard into the classroom with him. He was such a luddite he wouldn't even use a whiteboard.

So you took one maths class.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Platystemon posted:

So you took one maths class.

It was actually American history, the kind that looks at people who were not presidents or generals.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I remember in my first year of high school, somebody took a transparency and put it on top of the stack of paper in the color laser printer, hoping to print onto it. Of course the transparency melted inside the machine.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I remember in my first year of high school, somebody took a transparency and put it on top of the stack of paper in the color laser printer, hoping to print onto it. Of course the transparency melted inside the machine.

We had LASER printer compatible transparencies and regular transparencies and then some fucker stacked them all together. They look and feel exactly the loving same, except the former were way more expensive back in the day :(

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Someone put a plastic sleeve paper protector through a laser printer at my school once.

I had to explain how fusers work and why the printer was a write-off so many times.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Mister Kingdom posted:

That has Techmoan written all over it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

More like Techmum

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

mystes posted:

why is it rendering a condom?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

T-man posted:

Showing that you can use it for sex ed too.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

T-man posted:

Owning accessories for your graphing calculator is probably a pretty effective form of birth control all by itself.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

T-man posted:

New Stab-hard condoms, with elongated conical tip: a guaranteed cervix poke with every stroke!

Edti: Just the way she likes it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I remember seeing a diy guide to making a VGA projector using an overhead projector and taking apart an old lcd screen back in the early 2000s.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Lowen SoDium posted:

I remember seeing a diy guide to making a VGA projector using an overhead projector and taking apart an old lcd screen back in the early 2000s.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Back in the day a buddy of mine hacked together a video projector by taking apart one of those TFT monitors, removing the LCD panel and melding it to an overhead projector.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

In a parallel universe with slightly different technological progression, white LED overhead projectors would have been a really nice upgrade for some years. I don't know if they even made any, or if overheads were just too dead by the time of the first decent high-power white LEDs?

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I had a look, but all the currently available models (there are a few!) still use the same 250w halogen bulbs they used years ago.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Speaking of obsolete classroom equipment, filmstrip machines. No, not 16mm or whatever film projectors, individual frames of film used as slideshows.

Which inevitably led to:

:eng101: Alright class, we're going to see a film today.
:cool: Sweet, easy class today.
:crossarms: wait why did they say "film" and not movie?
*teacher wheels out this lame rear end thing*

:mad: (entire class under breath) goddamn it

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
*BONG*

I loved that dumb machine

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The fancy classrooms had the automated ones

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

ryonguy posted:

Speaking of obsolete classroom equipment, filmstrip machines. No, not 16mm or whatever film projectors, individual frames of film used as slideshows.

Which inevitably led to:

The kid running the machine is always one slide behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ryonguy posted:

Which inevitably led to:

We "watched" The Three Musketeers this way in third grade. It had narration over individual slides.

Between this, the film projectors, record players, teachers' smoking lounge and reading choices, there are times I feel my elementary school days were closer to my parents' than what kids experienced just five years later.