Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Catfishenfuego posted:

Chiropractors are basically snake oil salesmen if the oil contained snake venom sometimes as well. Even the 'good ones' should be avoided in favour of an actual physiotherapist.

Mine is but there's far more money to be made in "physical healing" so she opened a chiro clinic. I only see her for my sciatic issues though, sometimes your butt needs to be worked over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

Mine is but there's far more money to be made in "physical healing" so she opened a chiro clinic. I only see her for my sciatic issues though, sometimes your butt needs to be worked over.

:heysexy:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah the thing about chiropractors is it sounds like a scientific discipline but isn't.

It’s extremely wild that literally almost all insurance plans cover it, and most cover office visits with loving naturopaths too

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Criminal Minded posted:

I've never been to a chiropractor but it's my understanding that it's basically a coin flip as to whether you receive care from a licensed professional who understands their limits or a snake-oil salesman who wants to try and cure cancer by twisting your bones.

Chiropractors are universally frauds. They aren't medical practitioners, there is zero science behind what they do, the entire "profession" are the barely-disguised modern inheritors of a guy who thought that God put magic juice in your nervous system that could be adjusted by manipulating your spine.

At best you get someone who will harmlessly crack your spine for you and take money for it. At worse you get someone who will gently caress up your body with physically dangerous bullshit. The only reason they aren't regarded with the same entirely-justified contempt people have for homeopaths or essential oils is because they have a stronger lobby in the US.

Back in the 90s there was a court case where chiropractic associations brought an anti-trust(!) suit against the American Medical Association for trying to boycott them out of existence. The judge was a moron and basically ruled that because the AMA hadn't tried gently convincing people that chiropractic isn't medicine first, their outright boycott / ban on doctors referring patients to chiropractors was an unfair business practice. The case was appealed up to the Supreme Court but they repeatedly refused to grant cert.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 21, 2019

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/06/president-donald-trump-faces-new-rape-accusation.html

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I guarantee you more will come out about Biden (outside of all the other stuff that makes him a tremendous piece of poo poo).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ah well nevertheless

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Variety posted:

The creator of “Transparent” is now taking on “Red Sonja.”

Jill Soloway will write and direct the movie for Millennium Films, replacing Bryan Singer, whose status on the film was called into question in the wake of accusations of sexual assault and misconduct against him.

Most recently, in February, Avi Lerner’s Millennium confirmed that shooting on the project had been delayed. While Singer had faced allegations of misconduct in the past, a report early this year in the Atlantic, which detailed allegations that Singer groped and had inappropriate sexual relationships with four young men, renewed backlash against the “Bohemian Rhapsody” director. Singer has repeatedly denied the allegations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Oh poo poo, we can't have a man who sexually assaulted teenage boys as our director, who should we replace him with? I know, the woman who stood by her lead actor after it came out he was sexually assaulting other women.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yep

quote:

According to the Hollywood Reporter, after allegations surfaced from trans actresses on the hit Amazon show Transparent that the show’s lead, cis male actor Jeffrey Tambor, sexually harassed them during the show’s production, creator Jill Soloway reached out to Tambor and insinuated that he was being targeted because he is not trans.

According to the Reporter, on the night that Tambor put out a statement saying, “I don’t see how I can return to Transparent.” Soloway responded to Tambor in an email, writing, “They have been after Maura from the beginning.”

Soloway told the Reporter, “While much of the trans community immediately embraced the show, some vocally opposed the casting of a cis man, Jeffrey, in the lead role. This sentiment has persisted in parts of the community coming up again on social media in the wake of these allegations. It was a text I wrote in frustration after pouring my heart into this show for years. I wanted to tell a story that brought power and visibility to trans people, and to my own family’s journey into understanding, acceptance, and pride.”

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
They should get Lena Dunham to write it, starring Asia Argento.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

My brain feels all foggy today, and I had to reread that a few times to make sure I wasn't reading that Bryan Singer was involved with "Millennium Falcon" films.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

seeing Jeff Tambor's name reminds me of that abhorrent loving thing that they did with all the Arrested Development cast wherein Jennifer Walters is weeping and taking the blame for his lovely behavior while the rest of the cast sans Alia Shawkat do gently caress-all to support her.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DLC Inc posted:

seeing Jeff Tambor's name reminds me of that abhorrent loving thing that they did with all the Arrested Development cast wherein Jennifer Walters is weeping and taking the blame for his lovely behavior while the rest of the cast sans Alia Shawkat do gently caress-all to support her.

Jessica Walters, not Jennifer Walters. Jennifer Walters is She-Hulk, and She-Hulk would not have put up with that, either as a lawyer and as a super-hero.

A review (of a review. Thanks AV Club!) of David Mamet's new Harvey Weinstein-inspired play "Bitter Wheat". The main character is called "Barney Fein".

https://news.avclub.com/this-review...tm_content=Main

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Jessica Walters, not Jennifer Walters. Jennifer Walters is She-Hulk, and She-Hulk would not have put up with that, either as a lawyer and as a super-hero.

A review (of a review. Thanks AV Club!) of David Mamet's new Harvey Weinstein-inspired play "Bitter Wheat". The main character is called "Barney Fein".

https://news.avclub.com/this-review...tm_content=Main

You should link to the full review.

http://exeuntmagazine.com/reviews/review-bitter-wheat-garrick-theatre/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I don’t need to read it to know it’s Mamet stuck in some boomer world brain of his

“Hey baby...”

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 22, 2019

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Oh poo poo, we can't have a man who sexually assaulted teenage boys as our director, who should we replace him with? I know, the woman who stood by her lead actor after it came out he was sexually assaulting other women.

Avi Lerner is an utter piece of garbage, so him hiring a woman to direct Red Sonya, but hiring a woman who he knows will keep her mouth shut about any sexual misconduct she knows about, makes perfect sense.

Personally I hope it and any other movies produced by Millennium Films crashes and burns.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

It’s basically gonna be that Jennifer Garner movie where she’s a ninja or whatever I can’t even be hosed to remember the name

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Alan Smithee posted:

It’s basically gonna be that Jennifer Garner movie where she’s a ninja or whatever I can’t even be hosed to remember the name

Elektra?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yeah, sorry for the derail

back to landis

I didn't even realize how lovely John Landis was on a personal level (I mean I'm not surprised when you let kids die like that)

This old Playboy interview with Eddie Murphy of all people is pretty wild
http://www.pajiba.com/celebrities_are_better_than_you/john-landis-feud-with-eddie-murphy-over-twilight-zone-movie-deaths.php

some choice quotes

quote:

MURPHY: As it turned out, John always resented that I hadn’t gone to his Twilight Zone trial. I never knew that; I though we were cool. But he’d been harboring it for a year. Every now and then, he would make little remarks, like, “You didn’t help me out; you don’t realize how close I was to going to jail.” I never paid any mind.

PLAYBOY: Did you think he was guilty?

MURPHY: I don’t want to say who was guilty or who was innocent. [Pauses] But if you’re directing a movie and two kids get their heads chopped off at loving twelve o’clock at night when there ain’t supposed to be kids working, and you said, “Action!” then you have some sort of responsibility. So my principles wouldn’t let me go down there and sit in court. That’s just the way I am. If somebody in my family was guilty of something, I wouldn’t sit there for them in a courtroom and say, “You’ve got my support.” gently caress that. The most it would be is, “Hey, you go work that out. I still love ya; I’m still your friend.”

quote:

MURPHY: He came in demanding lots of money. Paramount was saying, “Hey, come on, Eddie, we’re getting hosed here,” but I made them pay his money. They bent over backward. But after he got the job, he brought along an attitude. He came in with this “I’m a director” poo poo. I was thinking, Wait a second, I loving hired you, and now you’re running around, going, “You have to remember: I’m the boss, I’m the director.”

One of his favorite things was to tell me, “When I worked with Michael Jackson, everyone was afraid of Michael, but I’m the only one who would tell Michael, ‘gently caress you.’ And I’m not afraid to tell you, ‘gently caress you.’” And sure enough, he was always telling me, “gently caress you, Eddie. Everybody at Paramount is afraid on you.”

quote:

PLAYBOY: Did you confront him?

MURPHY: I kind of ignored it. But every day, it was a new “I told Michael, ‘gently caress you’” story.

Then, one day, I had these two writers who did the screenplay for Coming to America with me. They were writing a TV show called What’s Alan Watching? that my company was producing. They were at our location in New York, and Landis was asking them, “Why are you guys here?” They said, “We’re working on something for Eddie.” And he said [strongly], “The production’s not picking that up.” And they said, “No, we’re working through Eddie’s company. Right now, we’re waiting for the deal to go through.” And Landis said, “So you’re not being paid yet? That company should be paying you! Don’t come to New York unless you’re being paid.”

The whole crew was standing around—extras and actors—and Landis started screaming. “Don’t be afraid to ask Eddie Murphy for his money. You go up and ask for your loving money!” I walked in and he said, “Eddie! Your company is loving these guys out of their money! Guys, don’t be afraid to go up to Eddie and say, ‘gently caress you!’” He’s screaming about my deal making in front of the cast.

PLAYBOY: What did you do?

MURPHY: I playfully grabbed him around the throat, put my arm around him and I said to Fruity, one of my guys, “What happens when people put my business in the street?” And Fruity said, “they get hosed up.” I was kind of half joking. Landis reached down to grab my balls, like he also thought it was a joke—and I cut his wind off. He fell down, his face turned red, his eyes watered up like a bitch and he ran off the set. Fuckin’ punk.

PLAYBOY: Did you go after him?

MURPHY: Nah. He came to my trailer later and made this big speech. His voice was trembling. And it all came out: that he didn’t think I was talented, that the only reason he did Coming to America was for money, that he didn’t respect me since I hadn’t gone to his trial and all this bullshit. All this hosed-up poo poo. Called me ignorant, an rear end in a top hat.

PLAYBOY: How did you take it?

MURPHY: I’m sitting there shattered; I’m thinking, This loving guy. I bent over loving backward to get this guy a job. He probably won’t even acknowledge what happened. He didn’t realize that his loving career was washed up. So I told him, “The next time you gently caress around with me, I’m gonna whip your rear end.” His Hollywood poo poo came out then: “What do you mean, ‘whip my rear end’? That’s not in our deal.” So I said, “You’re gonna have to give me either some fear or some respect. I want one of them, because this is my poo poo and you’re working here. If the only way you can fear me is knowing that the next time you gently caress up, you’re gonna get your rear end whipped, fine.” But Landis was hosed up: “Is that a net or a true-gross rear end whipping I’m gonna get? What kind of rear end whipping is it?”

PLAYBOY: Would you have whipped his rear end?

MURPHY: If he had hosed up again, I would have beat the poo poo out of him.

everyone says like father like son but more than they know

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Goddamn

btw, isn't "ignorant" one of those old racist dogwhistles? I remember Busta Rhymes tearing into some lady for calling him that.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

yeah, sorry for the derail

back to landis

I didn't even realize how lovely John Landis was on a personal level (I mean I'm not surprised when you let kids die like that)

This old Playboy interview with Eddie Murphy of all people is pretty wild
http://www.pajiba.com/celebrities_are_better_than_you/john-landis-feud-with-eddie-murphy-over-twilight-zone-movie-deaths.php

some choice quotes

everyone says like father like son but more than they know

Eddie Murphy's life is loving wild.

I wish the Chappelle Show had led to a Charlie Murphy spinoff of him telling more Hollywood stories involving himself and his brother.

Back on topic, though: gently caress John Landis. Geez.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
I guess narcissism runs in the family.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Man, what happened to that Eddie Murphy? We have another Landis that needs the life choked out of him.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

King Vidiot posted:

Man, what happened to that Eddie Murphy? We have another Landis that needs the life choked out of him.

He has ten kids, one of them must be capable of choking out Landis Jr

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Also uh that Eddie Murphy had heated comedian moments. We’re not allowed to do that anymore

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Yeah as much as I like someone putting the screws to John Landis, old Eddie Murphy called people faggots a lot which is a no thank you

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

'Star Trek' actress Marina Sirtis reveals she was molested at age 3 by her babysitter's teen sons
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...-165824325.html

Man arrested after hidden camera found in James Bond studio toilets
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/22/uk/uk-james-bond-pinewood-camera-scli-gbr-intl/index.html

Judge orders special prosecutor to examine Smollett probe
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/judge-orders-special-prosecutor-examine-153054492.html

The Secret Sex Lives of Nuns
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-secret-sex-lives-of-nuns

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

All of those are sorta outside the purpose of this thread.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The Marina Sirtis article is odd because she attributes getting therapy to deal with her abuse directly to being involved in Hollywood/LA because "everyone" in LA is in therapy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

could be she had a lovely therapist who normalized trauma and therapy in the wrong way

(i dont know if that is true)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I vaguely recall Sirtis also saying (almost in tears IIRC) Star Trek saved her because she’d mostly done pulpy exploitation films up till then. There was one in particular where she had to film a rape scene and the director wouldn’t let her cover up in between takes despite the set being extra cold.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Steve Yun posted:

I vaguely recall Sirtis also saying (almost in tears IIRC) Star Trek saved her because she’d mostly done pulpy exploitation films up till then. There was one in particular where she had to film a rape scene and the director wouldn’t let her cover up in between takes despite the set being extra cold.

Death Wish 3 I think. I remember because that came up in Electric Boogaloo and apparently the guy who made that film was kind of an all-around nutcase.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Krankenstyle posted:

could be she had a lovely therapist who normalized trauma and therapy in the wrong way

(i dont know if that is true)
That's not at all what she said:

quote:

The actress credits years of therapy for helping her finally come to terms with her painful childhood. However, she didn’t seek treatment until she moved to the U.S. when she was in her 30s
Sirtis said had she stayed in England, she probably never would have sought treatment due to the “stoicism of the British character. I would have been a very different person, emotionally and psychologically, if I hadn’t gone to America.”
The pro-therapy culture of Hollywood made her willing to open up and do therapy when she otherwise wouldn't have.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Jeez, says something when Hollywood's culture is an improvement on your life.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

That's not at all what she said:

The pro-therapy culture of Hollywood made her willing to open up and do therapy when she otherwise wouldn't have.

thx & alright... i cant read the actual interview (thetimes.co.uk ) but tbf the hollywood take on therapy is over-the-top, theres noone who shouldnt get therapy !!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

but tbf the hollywood take on therapy is over-the-top, theres noone who shouldnt get therapy !!

Huh?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
That Murphy interview perhaps wouldn't seem so bullshitty if he didn't work with Landis again.

And Jill Soloway talked, in her awful awful book, about protecting her show first and foremost when the Tambor allegations came out. So, that's a choice.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://wearawhitefeather.wordpress.com/2013/07/18/victim-blaming-slut-shaming/

A detailed description of how steampunk rapper Professor Elemental sexually abused a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

https://wearawhitefeather.wordpress.com/2013/07/18/victim-blaming-slut-shaming/

A detailed description of how steampunk rapper Professor Elemental sexually abused a woman.

I used to (heck, I kind of still do) love the steampunk aesthetic but now I mostly question the motives of people who cosplay as essentially Victorians with better tech.

I would love it if someone made a deconstructive steampunk book/movie/game that also dove deep into the problematic attitudes of the time. Those Tesla guns don't look so cool now when they are used to slaughter Africans, huh? Oh you're into that? Ok, NVM.