Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Most steampunk fans have absolutely no idea what the 'punk' part originally meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I've noticed two things in LARP fandoms whether it's steampunkers and wastelanders (aka dieselpunk)

the venn diagram is a blurry circle wherein between lies "open relationship" and "gently caress YOU YOU WANTED TO OPEN THE RELATIONSHIP I AM THE ALPHA"

couple well adjusted people on the outskirts

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

chitoryu12 posted:

https://wearawhitefeather.wordpress.com/2013/07/18/victim-blaming-slut-shaming/

A detailed description of how steampunk rapper Professor Elemental sexually abused a woman.

Again, really stretching the scope of this thread.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skwirl posted:

This thread hasn’t been restricted to exclusively powerful Hollywood rapists for a very, very long time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

chitoryu12 posted:

This thread hasn’t been restricted to exclusively powerful Hollywood rapists for a very, very long time.

Yeah, but "steampunk rapper?" You're broadening it to the point that anything they'd use as a plot on SVU falls into this thread.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Agreed, it's a really weird "debate" to have

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Skwirl posted:

Who made you god?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but "steampunk rapper?" You're broadening it to the point that anything they'd use as a plot on SVU falls into this thread.

He's prominent enough to have a Wikipedia article and to make an appearance on Phineas & Ferb. Or are we going to set a hard line on how many album sales you need to have before your sexual assault is now worthy of inclusion?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

AceOfFlames posted:

I used to (heck, I kind of still do) love the steampunk aesthetic but now I mostly question the motives of people who cosplay as essentially Victorians with better tech.

I would love it if someone made a deconstructive steampunk book/movie/game that also dove deep into the problematic attitudes of the time. Those Tesla guns don't look so cool now when they are used to slaughter Africans, huh? Oh you're into that? Ok, NVM.

That’s pretty much Bioshock Infinite except they severely gently caress up the social commentary by making it a “both sides are bad” thing

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Krankenstyle posted:

but tbf the hollywood take on therapy is over-the-top, theres noone who shouldnt get therapy !!

No but seriously, what?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That’s pretty much Bioshock Infinite except they severely gently caress up the social commentary by making it a “both sides are bad” thing

I was so disappointed by that game.

Though I don't think it could be considered "steampunk" per se. More like "Hey, early 20th century America was pretty hosed up, huh?"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AceOfFlames posted:

I was so disappointed by that game.

Though I don't think it could be considered "steampunk" per se. More like "Hey, early 20th century America was pretty hosed up, huh?"

That's sort of like the border of steampunk or dieselpunk. "Dieselpunk" usually has a world war aesthetic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't think this is even the first steampunk musician sex offender.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ugh YouTube streamer

Instagram influencer

Soundcloud showgazer

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ugh former Vice President was he even casting her in anything

https://twitter.com/thefreethought2/status/1141466620214140928?s=21

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
No surprise that Disney operates much like the Catholic Church.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Ugh former Vice President was he even casting her in anything

https://twitter.com/thefreethought2/status/1141466620214140928?s=21

Looking at the rest of that twitter feed and yikes on bikes my dude. Posting from this is like a step up from posting from weekly world news and that's only because this is tangentially true.

Not to even attempt to defend this guy but his tenure at Disney was from 1992 to 1993 before jumping ship to Warner until 1996 when he got out of the industry altogether. His contact that got him arrested and convicted was in 2007. The guy's a monster and was arrested but this is lower than steampunk musician sex offenders.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I look for poo poo on twitter and then the one person posting it in disgestible morsel form is Chud adjacent or whatever

Happens

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
US Taxpayers AKA Slaves

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alan Smithee posted:

I look for poo poo on twitter and then the one person posting it in disgestible morsel form is Chud adjacent or whatever

Happens

that feed is less "chud adjacent" and more "Dale Gribble-esque bugfuck crazy"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

here in 2019 there is no discernible difference between the two. the biggest conspiracy theories are all chud-bait and Alex Jones is friendly with the president

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://insidethemagic.net/2019/06/former-walt-disney-vice-sentenced/

i tried finding on ABC news for extra irony but nope

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Happens

For a minute I did a double take and thought you were reposting Stefan Molyneux but that is FreeDomainRadio.

I'm guessing everything with the word "free" is tainted now.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 24, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I saw "freethoughts" and instantly went cross eyed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DC Murderverse posted:

here in 2019 there is no discernible difference between the two. the biggest conspiracy theories are all chud-bait and Alex Jones is friendly with the president

Alien poo poo is still fun, and no dumb gently caress conservative is gonna take that away from me!

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Same thing really. Even KotHs creator, Mike Judge, said that real life Dale Gribble would be a racist.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i'm just saying "chud-adjacent" is sort of downplaying it, that twitter feed is some wild poo poo and reads like an unmedicated schizophrenic is running it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

drat youse guys are still shook about that

https://twitter.com/nytimesarts/status/1143253602972184577?s=21

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Green light more Godzilla movies please.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

what is you doing

https://twitter.com/jowilliams293/status/1143412957361127425

i mean did I enjoy Usual Suspects yeah

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

what is you doing

At least we still have Dame Helen Mirren for our old lady crushes

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Weinstein took hard lobbying for awards to new extremes and got Shakespeare in Love a Best Picture oscar so he deserves to be shunned even if you don't count his horrible sex crimes

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Weinstein took hard lobbying for awards to new extremes and got Shakespeare in Love a Best Picture oscar so he deserves to be shunned even if you don't count his horrible sex crimes

I get being pissed that Shakespeare in Love got best picture at the cost of Saving Private Ryan, but if you're just judging Best Picture winners on their own merits Shakespeare in Love is way better than a lot of winners.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
It's always been funny how pissed people get that the second-best WWII film of 1998 didn't win Best Picture.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Criminal Minded posted:

It's always been funny how pissed people get that the second-best WWII film of 1998 didn't win Best Picture.

The Big Lebowski?

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Weinstein took hard lobbying for awards to new extremes and got Judi Dench's 8 minutes of screentime in Shakespeare in Love a Best Supporting Actress Oscar, as well as a Best Picture oscar so he deserves to be shunned even if you don't count his horrible sex crimes

Maybe explains why she's a little easy on him.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
its not like people are burning dvds of seven in public places, seems like misplaced concern from judi dench

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

she must be a monarchist after all

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Maybe explains why she's a little easy on him.

She loving deserved that Oscar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

what is you doing

What did Caravaggio and Noel Coward do? Were they sex perverts as well?