Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Counterpoint: utilize experts in the field rather than try to build from the ground up while trying to be everything to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lol @ "experts" :allears:

The best thing that could possibly happen for this flight simulator is for it NOT to be everything to everyone and for it to be built from the ground up. Focus on implementing that gorgeous, expansive terrain engine and realistic airport modeling that they've shown in the trailer, put in the five planes we saw, and polish the hell out of it. That's how Deadstick is doing it and it looks fantastic.

If you start listening to ~the community~ you will get star citizen.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 23, 2019

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ok, but listen to them to understand what requirements they need for custom content integration, so they can make what they want.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

PMDG is an expert developer. I struggle to find an argument against that. They make great aircraft. Microsoft has no shot of making the jetliner you saw at any level of fidelity compared to PMDG. I don’t see Microsoft being able to spend the resources on making the whole world to the level of detail that Orbx does. And there’s so much in the base game that needs work.

Open platform, key developers getting a start. Robust addons from the handful of talented developers to augment a fantastic base game.

Microsoft has no track record to go by to do anything by themselves. The addon community will be needed in some way, even if it’s Navigraph or whoever to keep nav aids, airways and airports up to date.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I like PMDG’s planes but think they have horrible customer service and some horrible community relations so perhaps I just have bias

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Fair enough.

They reset a key in less than 24 hours because I was a dumbass.

Otherwise I look for when a plane is released and make a decision to buy it or not. I stay the hell away from any of their or any other flight sim communities except for pilotedge.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

sellouts posted:

pilotedge.

Thank you sellouts, very cool!

The new sim looks great. About time we had a new viable entrant.

You can tell how overstuffed and egotistical an add-on developer is by how miffed they are they weren't randomly given a heads up the announcement was coming (even though doing so would make nearly no sense from Microsoft's perspective). Randazzo and Venema are two of the more puffed-up people I've ever met and watching them sputter incredulously has been so great.

nullpunkt
May 6, 2007

not a substitute for human interaction
I hope they enforce third party sales going through Microsoft because gently caress dealing with shady rear end flight sim stores.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Don't start worrying about third party content until you see how Microsoft is going to monetize the hell out of the game. Make sure you have enough Flightbux to afford the landing fees and be sure to top up your Jeppesen points so your maps are up to date.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

FS11 is going to be fine. Stop being a bunch of whiny goons or you’re no better than avsim posters.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Has there been any info how they are handling scenery? Is it going to be streamed?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don’t really care what they do as long as it makes the maximum amount of people on the internet as mad as possible.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

slidebite posted:

Has there been any info how they are handling scenery? Is it going to be streamed?

Microsoft has a streaming scenery service that is open for other flight sims, so I'm assuming that's what they'll be using.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

If you start listening to ~the community~ you will get star citizen.

This is exactly right.

Rincey posted:

You can tell how overstuffed and egotistical an add-on developer is by how miffed they are they weren't randomly given a heads up the announcement was coming (even though doing so would make nearly no sense from Microsoft's perspective). Randazzo and Venema are two of the more puffed-up people I've ever met and watching them sputter incredulously has been so great.

I grew up in an aviation family - father retired as a captain on the 767, having flown the 320/737/707/CV640/DC4/DC3 over the course of his career. As a kid, I got to know all sorts of pilots, and what I learned was that the people that were the talkers (either at flying clubs, on the Internet, whatever) were universally seen as the weirdos by the line pilot community at the airlines these guys worked at, which is saying something considering some of the characters that actually fly the line. There is a degree of inane hero worship these guys get from non-pilot sim nerds on the Internet that just doesn't carry over to reality. As much as I love aviation, the flight sim community sure doesn't look like a place one would want to spend what little grown-up spare time someone might have.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I wish I had the time, energy and skill to make a FSEconomy alternative.

It was good fun for a while when the goon group flew, but it needed some more common goals to work towards.

I would lessen the focus on the :spergin: economy and focus more on mission generation.

And to encourage the use of smaller planes there could be a system where you need to fly e.g. 10 loads from small fields to a hub, until a flight was created for a tubeliner in that hub.

At the moment it seems that the bush flying sim Deadstick might fill most of my needs of fun gamified sim.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I grew up in an aviation family - father retired as a captain on the 767, having flown the 320/737/707/CV640/DC4/DC3 over the course of his career. As a kid, I got to know all sorts of pilots, and what I learned was that the people that were the talkers (either at flying clubs, on the Internet, whatever) were universally seen as the weirdos by the line pilot community at the airlines these guys worked at, which is saying something considering some of the characters that actually fly the line. There is a degree of inane hero worship these guys get from non-pilot sim nerds on the Internet that just doesn't carry over to reality. As much as I love aviation, the flight sim community sure doesn't look like a place one would want to spend what little grown-up spare time someone might have.

Aviation family here too, father was a pilot and my brother is. I was going to be, then for some strange reason I went to university and did IT.

Serious sim aviation is always weird, it's nothing at all like the real thing, nor the reason I've found most pilots fly. They actually _want_ to fly, not just play gunzel counting rivets down an obscure model of something that was a turd in real life. And real pilot's sense of humour is usually both morbid and wacky.

OTOH, both my brother and I split our sides laughing at ‎Airforceproud95 on YouTube, as my brother has wanted to do it, and I do know that in the distant past, my father has pressed the buttons of ATC from time to time for a laugh. Aviation families all know ATC as well, it's not a big community.

(Then again, my brother once used the call sign Harpoon One, when out spotting whales for a tourist whale spotting boat)

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

snail posted:

Aviation family here too, father was a pilot and my brother is. I was going to be, then for some strange reason I went to university and did IT.

Serious sim aviation is always weird, it's nothing at all like the real thing, nor the reason I've found most pilots fly. They actually _want_ to fly, not just play gunzel counting rivets down an obscure model of something that was a turd in real life. And real pilot's sense of humour is usually both morbid and wacky.

OTOH, both my brother and I split our sides laughing at ‎Airforceproud95 on YouTube, as my brother has wanted to do it, and I do know that in the distant past, my father has pressed the buttons of ATC from time to time for a laugh. Aviation families all know ATC as well, it's not a big community.

(Then again, my brother once used the call sign Harpoon One, when out spotting whales for a tourist whale spotting boat)

Also from an aviation family, and also really think dudes on FS forums are weird as hell. They remind me of guys who sit at the end of the runway taking pictures of jets and talking about how many tail numbers they recorded, but it's just a bunch of pictures of Hawker 800s that all look the same so who gives a gently caress?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It’s also one of the most harmless of hobbies, and aviation is unobtainable to most. I don’t think it’s that weird to want to be adjacent to it in any capacity one can.

Weird fanboys are different, but taking pictures of airplanes is a passion of many, and my my mom and dad both would always be nice to plane fans and I always found it cool.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

People who are *into* trains in a similar manner are called foamers, is there a term for such plane superfans?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

tranten posted:

People who are *into* trains in a similar manner are called foamers, is there a term for such plane superfans?

creeps

Vahakyla posted:

It’s also one of the most harmless of hobbies, and aviation is unobtainable to most. I don’t think it’s that weird to want to be adjacent to it in any capacity one can.

Weird fanboys are different, but taking pictures of airplanes is a passion of many, and my my mom and dad both would always be nice to plane fans and I always found it cool.

Eeehhhhhh, working as a line service tech I would get a lot of these people and when I would tell them they can't take pictures of the planes they would seem totally stunned and I'd be like, "Imagine how you would feel if a stranger thought your car was cool so he stood in your driveway taking pictures of the license plate. Now imagine your car costs 25 million dollars."

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Julius CSAR posted:

Eeehhhhhh, working as a line service tech I would get a lot of these people and when I would tell them they can't take pictures of the planes they would seem totally stunned and I'd be like, "Imagine how you would feel if a stranger thought your car was cool so he stood in your driveway taking pictures of the license plate. Now imagine your car costs 25 million dollars."

They shouldn't be painted that way if they don't want the attention. :colbert:

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Julius CSAR posted:

They remind me of guys who sit at the end of the runway taking pictures of jets and talking about how many tail numbers they recorded, but it's just a bunch of pictures of Hawker 800s that all look the same so who gives a gently caress?

Vahakyla posted:

I think it's a bit weird, but then again there are some great photos taken from time to time. Most photographs are pretty boring I think; I wandered through the Riga Aviation Museum yesterday (otherwise known as some dude collecting a bunch of old stuff, in a junk yard, and you're kinda allowed to poke and prod it just don't cut yourself it's kinda cool really), and not a single photo I took was really worth sharing beyond my family. A close family friend loves to capture aircraft herself, and managed to catch an excellent photo of my brother flying a A320 on his first flight into Adelaide.

Just by chance, a photographer did manage to capture my Dad flying into Luxembourg on his very last flight as captain. He died of cancer a year or so later, and I recently found in my grandfather's collection a photo from the very first flight my Dad took too. Nice bracketing of a career. So I don't begrudge the photographers. I'm no good at getting a good photo either.

The people that think War Thunder sim mode is real, are a bit like iRacing dweebs. Sure, the physics might be there, but you're not actually there. From first hand vomit inducing experience, a real 6.5G is not the same as the force from their pancake rear end hitting their wrung out office chair, no matter how hard they're holding it in during a long sim flight.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

If somebody had taken good telephoto shots of something like the Asiana 777 crash happening, they would have made the front page on national news.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

snail posted:

I think it's a bit weird, but then again there are some great photos taken from time to time. Most photographs are pretty boring I think; I wandered through the Riga Aviation Museum yesterday (otherwise known as some dude collecting a bunch of old stuff, in a junk yard, and you're kinda allowed to poke and prod it just don't cut yourself it's kinda cool really), and not a single photo I took was really worth sharing beyond my family. A close family friend loves to capture aircraft herself, and managed to catch an excellent photo of my brother flying a A320 on his first flight into Adelaide.

Just by chance, a photographer did manage to capture my Dad flying into Luxembourg on his very last flight as captain. He died of cancer a year or so later, and I recently found in my grandfather's collection a photo from the very first flight my Dad took too. Nice bracketing of a career. So I don't begrudge the photographers. I'm no good at getting a good photo either.

The people that think War Thunder sim mode is real, are a bit like iRacing dweebs. Sure, the physics might be there, but you're not actually there. From first hand vomit inducing experience, a real 6.5G is not the same as the force from their pancake rear end hitting their wrung out office chair, no matter how hard they're holding it in during a long sim flight.

War Thunder is the worst goddamn

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
War Thunder is fun as hell.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
After watching a bunch of airforceproud95 videos I decided to give multiplayer FSX with ATC a chance it and it was actually pretty fun. I'm playing with an Xbox controller which presents some challenges and it felt a little silly at first to be essentially playing pretend with a bunch of other dorks but it grew on me quickly. Tonight I think my controller was probably like 12 years old but he was doing well and I was still able to do some pattern work.

Can't wait for new release and maybe get some real flight controls

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Finally got around to getting XP11 in the Steam sale after years of dicking around with 10. Is there any updated recommendation list for plugins or especially good payware that isn't like $80? Thanks.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Plane recommendations:
The Zibo737 is freeware and while it’s a little annoying to download the latest (manually unzipping 20 patches) it’s amazingly detailed, if “realism” and tubeliners are your deal.

For GA the HotStart TBM-900 is far and away the most detailed payware I’ve seen and an absolute joy to fly. A little pricey but worth every penny.

Carendo planes are just OK but on the cheaper side if you don’t care about it being absolutely perfect but still want some polish above the vanilla planes. I have their Dornier 228 and it’s very nice.

Utilities:
ActiveSky is available for X-plane now and is pretty sweet if you want more accurate and detailed weather. Again, a little pricey at $40 but I felt like it was worth it since weather is what you’re looking at a lot of the time.

ProjectFly isn’t specific to xplane but it’s a cool logbook that’ll link into the sim automatically and tell you your landing rate and hours in the plane and that general stuff. It’s free, but it looks like they’re planning a premium subscription for more features at some point in the future.

And I don’t know if you have resources already from another sim, but simbrief.com is what I use for flight planning since it easily spits out what I need for ProjectFly, X-Plane, and ActiveSky. I use Navigraph for navdata, but at times maintaining that subscription for the level of flying I’m doing is silly.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Cool, thanks. I assume all the payware people treat their XP11 version as a new product? I had ActiveSky for XP10 and am pretty sure I would have to rebuy it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I don’t know - there might be an upgrade license. I never had 10, so I wasn’t aware it existed, but I see a lot of upgrades or deals for planes that save you 50% if you own the 10 version.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Sorry for the double post - does anyone have the FlightFactor 767, the iSSG 747, and/or the Airbus a350 (I think also flightfactor)? Those are allegedly the only planes that are highly detailed and work with VR in the LolHuge class. I’ve been eyeing the 767 but holy moly it’s expensive. I’ve heard mixed things about the A350 but it was just one friend who I’m not sure how much I trust to judge it.

I’ve been flying again after a brief break this spring and the only thing my payware fleet is missing is a heavy jet, but the quality seems spotty. I really want a 777 or 787, but neither seems to have a high fidelity, VR capable offering.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The SSG 748 is cool, but it has a number of bugs (COM1 radio display wonky) and typos (binds). The FMC software it uses isn't great and shits itself if there are more than 20 legs pages.

As long as you're ocean hopping and aren't expecting anywhere close to PMDG, its a decent pretend airplane.

e: VR works well enough.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Why does pilotedge cost $20 a month? Seems a bit ridiculous.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

RE: X-Plane add-ons

Flight Factor 757and 767 are worth every penny
FlyJSim 727 is as well (though has some lighting issues I've noticed, namely flood lights on it do jack poo poo)
Carenado is middling but their King Air 200 and SAAB 340B are pretty decent
Rotate MD80 is great though the inside textures are a bit meh
Aerobask stuff is all top-notch
vFlyte Twin Comanche is great
AirFoilLabs King Air 350 is great, though has a couple of very minor bugs that only crop up if you don't shut off the radios before quitting XP
Colimata Concorde is early access but is drat good already, also :rice:

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 2, 2019

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

hayden. posted:

They actually pay their ATC (unlike the FAA at times)

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Oh ok that's more acceptable I guess, I just figured it was a money grab at nerds with disposable income. I wonder if they manage minimum wage for the ATC though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

hayden. posted:

I think it's also used by people working on their meat space license. $20/mo for a licence that costs $15,000 is a drop in the bucket

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I have maybe a dozen (real) hours logged so far and radio calls (even non-controlled) are definitely something I'm not comfortable with, so I'm grateful this exists. It only seemed ridiculous because I didn't realize they were paying ATC.

edit: with pilotedge, does anyone use multiplayer to see other traffic? Or is everyone just playing single player?

hayden. fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 2, 2019

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

On phone right now. Someone please link Hayden to Catstrator on Youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simble
May 11, 2004

hayden. posted:

I have maybe a dozen (real) hours logged so far and radio calls (even non-controlled) are definitely something I'm not comfortable with, so I'm grateful this exists. It only seemed ridiculous because I didn't realize they were paying ATC.

edit: with pilotedge, does anyone use multiplayer to see other traffic? Or is everyone just playing single player?

You play single player and use a Pilotedge client that injects traffic into the game.