Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
While most post 70's space horror was birthed from Alien/Aliens, I'd say some of the 90's stuff was a direct result of the Star Trek revival and the ton of TV spaceship crew shows that followed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TheKingslayer posted:

I like Bloodline mostly because I grade it on a curve. It would have been a lot better if they had avoided space all together since it looks so cheap in contrast to the LeMarchand/France scenes which are pretty grotesque and helped by low lighting. I also think the Angelique Cenobite is cool.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I found the concept of Hell's structure changing over time pretty interesting. It had me wondering how much of the regular world influences Hell since Hell went from something more organic/chaotic to austere and structured.

Obligatory mention of the fan-cut of this movie as it's still flawed but you both might appreciate reading about it or seeking it out as it's very close to what was originally intended for the movie. Assembled from a bunch of leaked unused footage and edited based on the original director's shooting script. It's still flawed IMO but it's like an almost Alien 3 level of why the gently caress was any of this stuff cut-ness and the movie basically accomplishes what it sets out to do.

1) The movie's scenes are presented chronologically, the entire space part is expanded a little but is better since it's like a surprise final act.
2) Over an hour was cut from the movie, that's all back in so it doesn't feel nearly as choppy and you get a little more insight into the mythos.
3) Valentina Vargas is in it more and doesn't just randomly vanish now and then like in the theatrical version. This happens due to a more developed idealogical conflict between them where Pinhead wants a chaotic organic hell that lashes out at everything like in Hellraiser 3 while Angelique wants a more structured, these humans are tempted by and enter a binding contract with us kind of hell like in Hellraiser 1/2.

IIRC you can watch it on YouTube as "Helllraiser IV - Bloodline (Reconstruction Workprint)" or something like that. The only downside is that, and nothing against the effort of the fans, but there is one incomplete sequence, they completed themselves with some in-engine 3D rendering and uh, just be prepared. Fortunately most of the rest of the movie doesn't suffer from that though as it was mostly all practical effects anyway.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 24, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Iron Crowned posted:

The mention of Hellraiser Bloodline reminded me that for some reason in the 90's we liked to make sequels in space. Aside from Pinhead off the top of my head we had Jason, the Leprechaun, and Critters (although they're from space as is).

Origami Dali posted:

While most post 70's space horror was birthed from Alien/Aliens, I'd say some of the 90's stuff was a direct result of the Star Trek revival and the ton of TV spaceship crew shows that followed.

Absolutely, huh this franchise is super cheap to make and used to make us a lot of money, what? The kids want space poo poo now? Put it in space.

I think even Michael Myers was briefly considered for this at one point.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Origami Dali posted:

the ton of TV spaceship crew shows that followed.

The best being Lexx, obviously :v:

Lexx had a really good episode where one of the crew members loses his undead mind and turns into a wisecracking Freddy Krueger-esque slasher and kills a bunch of teenage stowaways on the ship... I mean, just to keep things on-topic.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
Nabbed from the Funny Pictures thread cuz you need to know about this.

https://twitter.com/MakoPeggy/status/1140125157480194048

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

I always figured people called it Hell since it seemed close enough to the stories about Hell and that it was just a side dimension.

That was kind of the idea for the early movies, but then it turned into straight up hell somewhere along the way, ending in Barker's "final Hellraiser novel" that had Pinhead as a mid level demon trying to usurp Satan.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Darko posted:

That was kind of the idea for the early movies, but then it turned into straight up hell somewhere along the way, ending in Barker's "final Hellraiser novel" that had Pinhead as a mid level demon trying to usurp Satan.

I think Barker got really into Christian mythology at some point. Or at least just gave up pretending he wasn’t.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The most recent Hellraiser movie had an actual angel show up at one point so they're definitely all-on on the Heaven/Hell thing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Darko posted:

That one always read as Barker rolling his eyes at Pinhead fans. Like, Pinhead has a Dragonball fight with Satan while wearing Satan's power-augmenting armor. And if you try to read any of his monologues in Doug Bradley's voice, it just doesn't work. Pinhead is just kind of silly and a huge prick.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Grendels Dad posted:

Pinhead is just kind of silly and a huge prick.

this is every demon (and a considerable portion of the supernatural beings, period) in Clive Barker's work

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Basebf555 posted:

The most recent Hellraiser movie had an actual angel show up at one point so they're definitely all-on on the Heaven/Hell thing.

I was expecting her to be an agent of Morte Mamme. Being an angel kinda deflated things for me.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I want to like Hellbound, but I just can't take Chuck Norris fighting a demon seriously.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

ruddiger posted:

I want to like Hellbound, but I just can't take Chuck Norris fighting a demon seriously.

Considering Norris' character's name is Frank Shatter, the expectation's set for something cheesy.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

ruddiger posted:

Not even the best movie about an 80s action guy punching Satan.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ruddiger posted:

Lol

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

Holy poo poo I just read the wiki summary of this movie and it sounds insane

"Frank Shatter (Chuck Norris) and Calvin Jackson (Calvin Levels) are two Chicago Police detectives sent to investigate the brutal murder of a rabbi. As the investigation begins, Shatter and Jackson are summoned to Israel for questioning..."

lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I never really liked Chuck Norris or his movies

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I never really liked Chuck Norris or his movies

He’s really one of the more baffling movie stars of all time because there’s just nothing there. Every movie I’ve ever seen him in, he cools off the energy of the scene like an ice cube dropped into a bowl of soup. Was he a thing because he could kick kind of high?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

COOL CORN posted:

Slasher is a pretty fun show. I'm mostly done with season one, but it's not a bad way to kill a day.

Hearing Katie McGrath’s Irish accent slip every now and then was the best part of that show.

Jk it’s a good watch but her accent does slip a lot and can be distracting.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Splint Chesthair posted:

He’s really one of the more baffling movie stars of all time because there’s just nothing there. Every movie I’ve ever seen him in, he cools off the energy of the scene like an ice cube dropped into a bowl of soup. Was he a thing because he could kick kind of high?

He's not really a "star" like a lot of action guys were(Segal, Van Damme) because his movies never really made it to what I'd call mainstream success. He's much more of a t.v. star because most of the money he's made from his career came from Walker Texas Ranger. Hell, he's probably made more money from exercise infomercials than his movie career.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Considering it wasn't that long ago we were talking about the 28 Days/Weeks Later franchise.

https://www.nme.com/news/film/danny-boyle-confirms-third-28-days-later-movie-works-2513427

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
51% of the appeal of Chuck Norris is his glistening chest hair.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

51% of the appeal of Chuck Norris is his glistening chest hair.

Well it's certainly how he got his start. His iconic fight scene with Bruce Lee was basically Bruce Lee vs. Hairy Chest Man.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I assume he's just a relic of our ancestral fear of ninjas during the 70's and 80's

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Well it's certainly how he got his start. His iconic fight scene with Bruce Lee was basically Bruce Lee vs. Hairy Chest Man.

And THIS right here is why Norris has any grounding at all in the lime light

He was adjacent to and a subordinate of Bruce Lee at a time where martial arts was huge, and he wasn't actively embarrassing AT being a martial artist, so he got picked up to be the more active Charles Bronson safe white guy.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Bronson could kick Norrises rear end

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

And THIS right here is why Norris has any grounding at all in the lime light

He was adjacent to and a subordinate of Bruce Lee at a time where martial arts was huge, and he wasn't actively embarrassing AT being a martial artist, so he got picked up to be the more active Charles Bronson safe white guy.

Yea there were a lot of guys with who ended up making a career out of their association with Bruce Lee, but Norris was probably the most successful at it. "What if Bruce Lee had lived a full life and was still alive today?" is one of the most interesting what-if scenarios in movie history because it's just impossible to know how his overall influence may have been different had he lived a few more decades. Who knows, it might've been lessened if he'd been around to ruin his own mystique.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea there were a lot of guys with who ended up making a career out of their association with Bruce Lee, but Norris was probably the most successful at it. "What if Bruce Lee had lived a full life and was still alive today?" is one of the most interesting what-if scenarios in movie history because it's just impossible to know how his overall influence may have been different had he lived a few more decades. Who knows, it might've been lessened if he'd been around to ruin his own mystique.

You want to think he’d have turned into a kickass old man but he was pretty vain so I kinda think he wouldn’t have let himself age gracefully.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'd be mostly interested to see where he would have gone with people like Jackie Chan and Jet Li gaining international fame (if they were able to with him still around, at least to the same degree). Instead of being the top of the martial arts movie world, they'd now be competing with the OG on the same stage.

Or you see Bruce Lee following the same path as Jackie Chan and starring in gritty dramas where he doesn't have to do many crazy stunts around the mid-2000s.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

I'd be mostly interested to see where he would have gone with people like Jackie Chan and Jet Li gaining international fame (if they were able to with him still around, at least to the same degree). Instead of being the top of the martial arts movie world, they'd now be competing with the OG on the same stage.

Yea that definitely is something that would be hard to project, because so much of it would've depended on Lee's relationship with China/Hong Kong and how that soured or improved over time. Like, I'm not sure we can assume that if he were alive in the 90's he'd have wanted to help someone like Jet Li come over and become successful here. But maybe he would've, who knows.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
He was known to be kind of a dick, so the idea that he would have more or less sucked the air out of the room holds some water.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Donnie Yen > all

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

colachute posted:

Donnie Yen > all

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

colachute posted:

Sammo Hung > all

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

YES

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Neither of those guys has a resume a tenth as strong as Jackie Chan's but ok

By the way, to bring things back around to the cause of the derail, I'm definitely going to be watching that Norris movie Hellbound, it's on Prime for $3

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 24, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Regarding Norris, a lot of his filmography in the 80's owes to the fact that, like Charles Bronson, he essentially had a residency at Cannon pictures. Golan and Globus basically had two script piles in their office, each dedicated to one of the Chuck's, and neither pile really ever emptied out in the studio's heydey.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
So I just learned that the theatrical cut of Freddy's Dead is 12 mins longer than any home video version, what the hell.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Origami Dali posted:

So I just learned that the theatrical cut of Freddy's Dead is 12 mins longer than any home video version, what the hell.

I think - and I might be wrong - but the theatrical version had a bunch of 3D "put on glasses now" sequences that never made it to home video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Tart Kitty posted:

I think - and I might be wrong - but the theatrical version had a bunch of 3D "put on glasses now" sequences that never made it to home video.

Was it just extra title cards or something? Because the home video version still showed Lisa Zane gratuitously putting on a pair of 3D glasses for the final sequence.