Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nothing quite like waking up with the intake of a slowly windmilling Trent 700 30' from your face because you nodded off in your van waiting for the aircraft to pull on gate. With the windows open. GAH! That wasn't there two five ten minutes ago!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

hobbesmaster posted:

The bigger story here is that someone can sleep that soundly on a plane.

I’ll add to the folks here, I’m out cold on planes, even MD-88s in the back. Definitely before liftoff and half the time before the jetway is pulled back. That rhythmic vibration and hum of the engines, and air in my face knock me out so fast.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 24, 2019

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I'm very jealous of people that can sleep in moving vehicles without being extremely fatigued.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

blugu64 posted:

I’ll add to the folks here, I’m out cold on planes, even MD-88s in the back. Definitely before liftoff and half the time before the jetway is pulled back. That rhythmic vibration and hum of the engines, and air in my face knock me out so fast.

My girlfriend too. It's to the point that I think I could hypnotize her with a safety briefing.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I wish I could sleep outside of regularly scheduled times. Then I wouldn't do the thing where I work my overnight shift with one hour of sleep. It's totally safe.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fknlo posted:

I wish I could sleep outside of regularly scheduled times. Then I wouldn't do the thing where I work my overnight shift with one hour of sleep. It's totally safe.
:yossame:

I am physically incapable of napping. If I try to take a nap one of two things happen:

1. I lay there wide awake until I decide I'm wasting my time and may as well find something to do.
2. I fall full asleep, and either wake up feeling like poo poo because my body thought it was getting a full night's sleep or I actually do sleep until my body's ready to wake up...in the middle of the night now fully energized to start the day.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

wolrah posted:

:yossame:

I am physically incapable of napping. If I try to take a nap one of two things happen:

1. I lay there wide awake until I decide I'm wasting my time and may as well find something to do.
2. I fall full asleep, and either wake up feeling like poo poo because my body thought it was getting a full night's sleep or I actually do sleep until my body's ready to wake up...in the middle of the night now fully energized to start the day.

Same here, the only time I "nap" is if I'm loving exhausted and fall asleep somewhere uncomfortable, eventually I'll wake up again with a dead arm or something and potter off to bed.

What's great is I'm a heavy sleeper anyway and deaf in one ear, and naturally sleep with my good ear against the pillow, so once I'm out I am out to environmental sounds. Events I've slept through include a housemate breaking into our own house (useful, not dealing with that BS at 3am) and fire alarms (less useful, could have been roasted alive).

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Dearest scooter and the sleep with me podcast is my lifeblood in hard to sleep places.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A bad name, not quite on the level of Blackburn Blackburn

Bristol Fighter

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ulmont posted:

Face mask I agree with, but what's ANC in this case? Active Noise Cancellation? You go earbuds or headphones?
yes sorry active noise cancelling. And I wear headphones because they're much more comfy to my dainty sound holes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nebakenezzer posted:

Bristol Fighter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Fighter_(automobile) ?

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones
A co-worker of mine flew ORD-SFO during a bad blizzard. He fell asleep as the plane taxied out, and woke up when everyone got up to get their bags after landing.

When he got off the plane he realized he was still in O'Hare. Slept through a 2+hour ground hold, associated announcements and the the return to the terminal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i slept through some in-flight anomaly ATL-GSO and was really confused when I woke up touching down and we were back at ATL and there were a lot of fire trucks

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

Bristol Fighter

Not quite so redundant when you consider that 'fighter' wasn't widely the term for a aircraft designed mostly for air-to-air combat until the late stages of WW1, and the RAF in particular didn't start using the term until the 1920s. Until then they were 'scouts'. The USAAF didn't stop calling them 'pursuit aircraft' until the 1940s.

Bristol (and the Air Ministry) saw the Brisfit as something different. Bristol had already produced the Scout (1913-1916), which was Britain's first recognisably modern fighter (in the sense of the term as we know it) - a single-seater with a tractor layout and forward-firing armament, even if synchronisation gear was yet to be invented. The Scout was, well, a scout - designed to be fast and agile for quick reconnaissance dashes, shooting down enemy observation planes and tangling with opposing scout aircraft. The Fighter was a bigger, heavier, less-agile but better-armed multi-role machine designed to be able to deal with scouts by dint of packing armament both front and rear and what was, for its size, a strong turn of speed. It was also capable of bombing, spotting and longer-range reconnaissance missions.

So in 1916 calling your aircraft 'Fighter' was just a good pugilistic name to give your big, powerful, heavily-armed machine. Although the Royal Aircraft Factory also distinguished between 'Fighters, Experimental' which were two-seater pusher-layout aircraft like the FE2 and 'Scouts, Experimental' which were single-seater tractor-layout machines like the SE5.

It just happens that a few years later when it became clear that the role of 'scouts' in modern military aviation was really destroying (or fighting!) other scouts everyone decided to call them fighters too, leaving the Bristol looking rather unimaginatively named.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I can sleep soundly on an airplane usually. Though the WHOOP WHOOP PULL UP! is pretty annoying to wake up to.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Not sure if this has been posted before.
Cessna ocean crash filmed from inside the cabin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knJ54JNtcJc

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/airplane_pic/status/1142788520739844099?s=21

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Im the plywood

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Motherfuckers gonna door ding it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Another Icon A5 accident: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/plane-crash-okanagan-lake-1.5188553

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
How many stalls you gotta pay for to park that sumbitch

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

He was clearly trying to ditch the pursuing fighter with the maneuver at 1:15 in this video. https://youtu.be/Jv1ZN8c4_Gs

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 25, 2019

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Surely there is a gear down indicator

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

"A 72-year-old man from Alberta and his 59-year-old male passenger were on board."

:corsair:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

"Sure I can fly amphibian, I've flown retractables for 30 years and I've never had a belly landing so far! Let's see, fullest tank selected, three down and locked, mixture rich, prop full fine...water runway looks clear...hmm."

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Any one of us would be googling "how to start an airliner" within seconds of realizing that we had just won an airplane in "finders, keepers".

I'd taxi over to the paint shop and have something garish painted on the nose.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

PhotoKirk posted:

If "finders keepers" didn't apply, the paint job would remove the three police star wanted level anyway.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
747 update: I couldn’t snag the rearmost window seat at check-in, but the flight attendant let me have it because there’s like 8 of us up here.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Bombardier sells the CRJ to Mitsubishi.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PhotoKirk posted:

Any one of us would be googling "how to start an airliner" within seconds of realizing that we had just won an airplane in "finders, keepers".

Sadly there’d be no fuel so your dreams of A320 acrobatics wouldn’t work.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

this one is definitely a between-the-ears one

although in fairness they've all been between-the-ears type accidents

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this one is definitely a between-the-ears one

although in fairness they've all been between-the-ears type accidents

You're right, but the marketing was very "this time it's different, everyone can fly this leisure machine", but the accidents show the truth is more "it's a normal flying machine and old accident modes apply here as well".

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

hobbesmaster posted:

Sadly there’d be no fuel so your dreams of A320 acrobatics wouldn’t work.

Stop harshing my mellow.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ola posted:

You're right, but the marketing was very "this time it's different, everyone can fly this leisure machine", but the accidents show the truth is more "it's a normal flying machine and old accident modes apply here as well".

yeah, for sure

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah, how dare I express the controversial idea that people should take some loving personal responsibility. The moral of this story is don't fall asleep on public transport if you don't want to wake up someplace other than where you expected to be. How the gently caress anyone considered it to be national news is beyond me, but I guess I'm out of touch.

lol

lmebo

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Elviscat posted:

He was clearly trying to ditch the pursuing fighter with the maneuver at 1:15 in this video. https://youtu.be/Jv1ZN8c4_Gs

Ha, literally the same day I get an e-mail from a recruiter trying to fill a Design Engineer position in Tehachapi.

I'm unemployed right now, and I wouldn't touch that with someone else's 30 foot pole.

Incidentally, if anyone has an engineering job in Greensboro they want to hire for that isn't at Honda, hit me up.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elviscat posted:

The original video is better, though I like GUNSHIP’s music:

https://youtu.be/AjXr9Nj5ZbI

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

EightBit posted:

I'm very jealous of people that can sleep in moving vehicles without being extremely fatigued.

I’m jealous of people who are short enough to take advantage of airline headrests and armrests. Sleeping in one is completely impossible for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ApathyGifted posted:

Incidentally, if anyone has an engineering job in Greensboro they want to hire for that isn't at Honda, hit me up.

you down with trucks because Volvo Mack is right there