Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Real curious what the actual ethernet speed on that Raspberry Pi 4 is - hoping for 1Gbit.

Anyone know whether the existing PoE HAT will work on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bolind posted:

Real curious what the actual ethernet speed on that Raspberry Pi 4 is - hoping for 1Gbit.

Anyone know whether the existing PoE HAT will work on it?

It said in the article linked above it would

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

quote:

According to the Pi Foundation, the 4 B has a top transfer rate of 50 MBps, which is double the speed of the reader on the 3 B+.
Well, it's better. Hopefully we get a Pi 4B+ with eMMC or something

eames
May 9, 2009

article posted:

Beside the “true” Gigabit Ethernet port, the good news for people interested in network storage applications is that the shared USB + Ethernet bandwidth is gone, as there’s a separate Gigabit Ethernet transceiver (BCM54213PE), and USB goes through a VIA VL805 PCIe to 4-port USB 3.0 host controller. The latter means BCM2711 comes with a PCIe interface giving the Raspberry Pi foundation some flexibility for future Raspberry Pi SBC’s.
source

So the new chipset has PCIe support like many of the Rock based boards already do, except this one comes with the support of the full rPi ecosystem.
I hope they'll make a "Raspberry Pi 4 C" with a 4x PCIe slot to plug things like raid controllers or audio cards into.

full datasheet is here:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bcm2711/rpi_DATA_2711_1p0_preliminary.pdf

e: iperf benchmark https://twitter.com/ben_nuttall/status/1143037993957187584

e2:

Hadlock posted:

I hear you on that, but at the same time, the last time there head of raspberry pi swore up and down that they definitely weren't releasing the pi 3 and that the pi 2 b+ was great for now... Less than 60 days later they announced the pi 3 anyways

They don't have any incentive to dry up demand for the 3 b+ any earlier than absolutely required, golden goose etc

this was correct by the way :downs:

eames fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jun 24, 2019

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just because everyone is going a bit gaga:

- Micro hdmi instead of 2*miniDP or HDMI + DP altmode on USB-C
- local bus is still USB (but 4gbps apparently so not bad)
- SoC is still 4? generations behind
- armV7 kernel because why?

Overall ‘tis still a banger IMO.

eames
May 9, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

- local bus is still USB (but 4gbps apparently so not bad)

that's completely wrong.

raspberry pi foundation posted:

The Ethernet controller on the main SoC is connected to an external Broadcom PHY over a dedicated RGMII link, providing full throughput. USB is provided via an external VLI controller, connected over a single PCI Express Gen 2 lane, and providing a total of 4Gbps of bandwidth, shared between the four ports.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-4-on-sale-now-from-35/

evil_bunnY posted:

- SoC is still 4? generations behind

and there's no threadripper version available either :argh:

evil_bunnY posted:

- armV7 kernel because why?

backwards compatibility. it'll run AArch64 distros just fine, like the 3B+ already does.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

eames posted:

that's completely wrong.

backwards compatibility. it'll run AArch64 distros just fine, like the 3B+ already does.
Thanks for the correction. I don’t see the point of backwards distros anyways since you need the latest rasp release anyway

eames
May 9, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Thanks for the correction. I don’t see the point of backwards distros anyways since you need the latest rasp release anyway

It's mostly about packages. arm64 is still missing a good amount of packages compared to armhf but it's catching up and there's little doubt that it will replace armhf eventually

this is the best readable document on the rPi 4 I've found so far:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1560/1473/files/Inside_Raspberry_Pi_4.pdf

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I just bought a 3b+ and got it set up as a DietPi media storage. :negative:

Ah well. It's sufficient for the task of actually watching the media, and the thing the 4 would noticeably improve upon for the setup would be download and network transfer.

EDIT: That being said, I do have a separate project that involves 7-8 Pi Zero Ws running their roots off of NSF. I have one I'm finalizing now using an old, USB 2.0 laptop, and then I'm planning to clone the whole setup 7 times. With the new speeds, would a Pi4 with a USB 3.0 HDD be able to handle the whole system? As far as I understand, all the processing is still being done by the Pi Zeros, and it's just data that's being pushed by the NSF server. Just a matter of figuring out my top network speed on the Zeros and dividing it into the new top speed for the Pi4, right?

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 24, 2019

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Looks pretty cool to me, especially the 4GB version to replace old desktops. Driving a 4k display, full USB 3.0, etc. is pretty impressive for what's still a small little ARM SOC. I think the biggest weak spot is the software now, Raspbian/Debian is just too old and not with the modern times. It'd be awesome to install Chrome/ChromiumOS and then just have a docker/container engine to run whatever your heart desires.

edit: Also another nice thing buried in the specs, the USB C port is wired to a USB 2 channel on the chip. This means the USB C port can be configured with the kernel to act like a USB device, like an ethernet adapter, mass storage device, serial device, etc. The Pi zeros can do this already and folks have some cool things like plugging the Pi into your computer and it showing up as a USB drive to move files to it. It will be pretty nice for a 'real' Pi to work the same way.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 24, 2019

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

This performance jump should be decent enough for N64 (and most PS1 games) emulation. Wondering if Nintendo had a N64 mini on the works and were waiting on something like this.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Guillermus posted:

This performance jump should be decent enough for N64 (and most PS1 games) emulation. Wondering if Nintendo had a N64 mini on the works and were waiting on something like this.

I was curious if this was going to help substantially for Retropie performance etc.

mewse
May 2, 2006

That Works posted:

I was curious if this was going to help substantially for Retropie performance etc.

It should, significantly

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Guillermus posted:

Even if so, it's probably too late. They already abandoned the NES and SNES mini, and it's unlikely they will ever release an N64 mini.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
The sad thing about the 4 is that it still does not have the crypto extensions. So no accelerated Syncthing.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Via Ars Technica:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
It's too bad they went with MicroHDMI. That's my least favorite of the myriad of digital video connections. Presumably it's not trivial to do a stacked full-size HDMI.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

BeastOfExmoor posted:

It's too bad they went with MicroHDMI. That's my least favorite of the myriad of digital video connections. Presumably it's not trivial to do a stacked full-size HDMI.

They said they didnt want that as it would make it too thicc

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My Raspberry Pi is dummy thicc and the clap of my HDMI ports keeps shorting the reset jumper.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
A simple bootable SATA port would have been so awesome. Or an eSATA multiplier.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Guillermus posted:

I was thinking of trying n64 emulation on the Jetson Nano. I don't really want to play any. Just curious about how well it handles them.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I wonder if the number of people who want dual monitors on a Pi even outweighs the number of people who will avoid buying one because they don't want to buy more weird cables.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Inept posted:

I wonder if the number of people who want dual monitors on a Pi even outweighs the number of people who will avoid buying one because they don't want to buy more weird cables.

They also have a USB-C port right there. Having a full-size HDMI built-in and allowing people who want a second display to do so via a dongle off the USB-C port would have been a much better option.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

A simple bootable SATA port would have been so awesome. Or an eSATA multiplier.

Come on RPi 5!

Is there any way to boot a pi off of the USB? That might be a reasonable alternative to the SD card now that there’s USB3.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

There's a config file you can update to make a one time change that enables USB boot on current Pis. I read that USB3 boot will be an option, but they hadn't implemented it for the test devices they gave reviewers yet.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Cojawfee posted:

My Raspberry Pi is dummy thicc and the clap of my HDMI ports keeps shorting the reset jumper.

Thread title plz

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

e.pilot posted:

Is there any way to boot a pi off of the USB? That might be a reasonable alternative to the SD card now that there’s USB3.

Pre-4 Pi's, yes. You can also netboot old Pis. I'm actually hoping to host a cluster of POE nfs-rootfs Pi Zeros off of a Pi4 NAS, now that speeds sound like they're more up to the task.

Pi4: It's coming.

raspberrypi.org posted:

Support for these additional bootmodes will be added in the future via optional bootloader updates. The current schedule is to release PXE boot first, then USB boot.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 25, 2019

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BeastOfExmoor posted:

My thoughts as well. I thought MicroHDMI was totally dead, I hadn't seen it since my HTC Evo 4G. At least Mini-HDMI on the Zero is somewhat common on handheld video cameras. If you're going to have to have a dongle you may as well use one someone might actually have rather than this poo poo.

Inept posted:

Agreed, this effectively raises the base price of the Pi by a couple of bucks for anyone using it as a media player, emulation box, etc.

Mr.Radar posted:

They also have a USB-C port right there. Having a full-size HDMI built-in and allowing people who want a second display to do so via a dongle off the USB-C port would have been a much better option.
Definitely.

That said, this article indicates that they feel they're using every bit of the PCB area available, so maybe this is just the best we could get while retaining the expected formfactor. https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/eben-upton-engineering-raspberry-pi-4/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm not really even sure why you would want to have two monitors with a Pi.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Digital signage is all I can think of.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Cojawfee posted:

I built some equipment for my lab where we ended up running the HDMI output through a splitter so we could have one display the subject saw and one display that an experimenter could see, so a second HDMI would have been pretty handy.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
The 4GB version isn't just a Pi anymore, I'd wager it can replace 90% of folks old lovely Dell desktops that are wheezing and on their last legs.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's a shame that the GPU appears to be still pretty limited, but at least it's still a massive step forward over the circa 2006 GPU design all previous Pis have been using.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

They're apparently working with Citrix to make the idea of a Pi-based thin client a serious option, and a lot of the early messaging for the Pi 4 has pointed out that at least the 4GB model is truly viable as a low-end desktop. A lot of businesses now accept that dual monitors help productivity so being able to support that use is interesting if that direction pans out.

It could also allow for some neat new uses we haven't seen Pis used in before. I've seen the DIY Arcade guys talking about using it to drive a marquee display or even dual-screen vs games. I'm interested in it for a CarPC project I'm playing with as well as adding a second screen to my home theater environment. Obviously the commercial signage folks will have a field day with it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Could you do homemade VR glasses by driving two small displays maybe?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
That’s what I thought too.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

eames posted:

this was correct by the way :downs:

gently caress yes, redemption

evil_bunnY posted:

Just because everyone is going a bit gaga:

- Micro hdmi instead of 2*miniDP or HDMI + DP altmode on USB-C

Came here to post this. I've seen a micro HDMI adapter maybe twice in my life, would have been great to see them use USB-C -> DP or HDMI or whatever. One less adapter to buy/keep track of. I already have a bunch of USB-C to HDMI cables floating around on the other hand.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

wolrah posted:

It could also allow for some neat new uses we haven't seen Pis used in before. I've seen the DIY Arcade guys talking about using it to drive a marquee display or even dual-screen vs games. I'm interested in it for a CarPC project I'm playing with as well as adding a second screen to my home theater environment. Obviously the commercial signage folks will have a field day with it.

I think magpi magazine tweeted out a challenge to build a pi4 powered battleships clone.
At work when the 3b came out my boss asked if it could replace our work PCs. The lack of dual screen was the biggest blocker. I think the 4gb Pi4 May prompt that question/challenge again.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

The only scenario I came across was wanting two displays for the teslonda dash; Instead I networked together two separate Pis like a goddamn psychopath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I like working with dual monitors on things. tbqh I have a horrendous short term memory so I usually need things side by side like a document on one side and my work on the other. So in that respect it wouldn't be bad. When I read Micro HDMI my mind instantly thought "crunch!". They are even worse with physical loads than micro USB.

I'm not knocking the RPi 4. I think it's a neat feature. But it's not a great connector.