Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lazy_Liberal posted:

who wants to deal with 800+ pokemon?

Me, I do

Alxprit posted:

It seems like you people still don't understand that the whole Galar Dex thing isn't a matter of whether they can or not (because they definitely can), but it is instead a matter of if they want to or not (they don't want to). If it ends up leading to a better game overall, then let them spend their dev hours on what they actually believe matters.

Things that actually matter, like new custom giant models for Pokemon instead of upscaling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
151 was a good number

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
This whole Dexit thing shines a light on the weaknesses of core Pokémon games. I watched a comparison of Pokémon Stadium (N64) battles versus Sword/Shield battles, and come to think of it, the presentation isn't upgraded a lot between them despite them being 20 years apart. The average modern Pokémon model doesn't have a lot of animations for using moves or personality in combat*, and the average moves aren't very flashy. But up until now I didn't mind.

Why? Because core Pokémon was on a handheld system, and it devoted most of its resources towards supporting a huge roster. I didn't mind if the move animations were basic, or if the models for many Pokémon are rather stiff, because it was still a huge achievement for a portable game and all Pokémon and moves were included. Now it's moving to a vastly more powerful home console and severely cutting the roster, and the presentation is still largely the same.

*There's a lot of personality in Pokémon Amie/Refresh though. They better bring that back!

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The models for Pokemon Amie/Refresh would certainly eat into development time (although in this case, its now too beloved to abandon).

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Speaking of Amie, what are you supposed to do for critters too big for one screen? I can't clean my Tyranitar because his face is too far away.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mizuti posted:

This whole Dexit thing shines a light on the weaknesses of core Pokémon games. I watched a comparison of Pokémon Stadium (N64) battles versus Sword/Shield battles, and come to think of it, the presentation isn't upgraded a lot between them despite them being 20 years apart. The average modern Pokémon model doesn't have a lot of animations for using moves or personality in combat*, and the average moves aren't very flashy. But up until now I didn't mind.

Why? Because core Pokémon was on a handheld system, and it devoted most of its resources towards supporting a huge roster. I didn't mind if the move animations were basic, or if the models for many Pokémon are rather stiff, because it was still a huge achievement for a portable game and all Pokémon and moves were included. Now it's moving to a vastly more powerful home console and severely cutting the roster, and the presentation is still largely the same.

In fairness, the Stadium games were solely devoted to those kinds of specialized battle animations and didn't require any real campaign design.

That is all the more reason they could've developed a similar battle game as a test ground for some of those model animations, though, and the fact that going forward they'll be charging 33% more without any comparable improvements is absurd.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

get rid of pokémon battles

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Speaking of Amie, what are you supposed to do for critters too big for one screen? I can't clean my Tyranitar because his face is too far away.
You can zoom in on giant Pokémon to focus on feeding them or petting their face.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Araquanid ain't coming to SwSh is he? :(

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

All of your Alolan friends would wither and die in Galar's cold, drizzly climate.

Including Hau and Kukui.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

oddium posted:

get rid of pokémon battles

get rid of Amie/Refresh

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Parrotine posted:

Araquanid ain't coming to SwSh is he? :(
Wimpod is included, so they're probably not going to double dip on Bug/Water types. Serebii's been tracking what Pokémon evolutionary families have been spotted in video and pictures, and here's the list of everything that's confirmed in.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm not saying don't speculate. But it's wrong to say a game is just bad before it's out. We know so little, so freaking little. I don't necessarily think it will be godly or amazing or anything. I'm exhausted of this circular discourse, and this negative spiral. People's expectations for the "first real console Pokemon" were already way too high. I'm seeing people I respect and care about becoming absolute turds over this meaningless debate. That's all.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

indigi posted:

this is a bad argument since we know a lot of older gen mons will be in it. and where's your arbitrary cutoff for pokemon to be in a Pokémon game

i wish they didn't have any old pokemon in it :/ a reboot of the franchise would be fun

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Licarn posted:

151 was a good number

*sips monster*

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Alxprit posted:

People's expectations for the "first real console Pokemon" were already way too high.

pretty spicy take to say "the new pokemon game has the pokemon in it" was a high expectation

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Lazy_Liberal posted:

can you recommend a better game where i get to play as a pokemon with my pokemon friends??

Chocobo Mystery Dungeon. You play as Douno.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mizuti posted:

Wimpod is included, so they're probably not going to double dip on Bug/Water types. Serebii's been tracking what Pokémon evolutionary families have been spotted in video and pictures, and here's the list of everything that's confirmed in.
Okay there's some great pokemon from the later gens, thank goodness.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Mizuti posted:

I wish that list actually said how a mon is confirmed. I don't remember most of the poo poo I've seen in promo videos, and I'm sure I haven't seen them all. Is it "Munchlax was seen on this video" or "Munchlax is assumed to be in the game because Snorlax was seen on this video". For Pokemon whose pre-or-post evo forms came later, especially the ones that are dependent on a certain item, I think it's too soon to say it's a guarantee they made the cut. Likely, but not definite.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i wish they didn't have any old pokemon in it :/ a reboot of the franchise would be fun

well you're not getting that as you knew before you made that post. so I don't understand why 500 Pokémon is more preferable to you than 900

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Alxprit posted:

But it's wrong to say a game is just bad before it's out.

Baseless pessimism is pointless, but there's clearly a basis for it here and it's perfectly reasonable to say "this looks bad" when what the developers are selectively picking and choosing to show looks bad!

If you don't like people being negative about something you're free to tune out if you want! Nobody's stopping you and that might in fact be a really sensible thing to do, but you're not the arbiter of whether or not something's valid or meaningful when it comes to other people's complaints about a billion dollar company being really loving lazy and inept.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Alxprit posted:

I'm seeing people I respect and care about

love you too bb

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you don't like people being negative about something you're free to tune out if you want!

Fine. I'll come back when there's better news. Enjoy your life.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Mizuti posted:

The gently caress is my porygon2 at? Goddamn you game freak :argh:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

This is now.

Mierenneuker posted:

Summer Games Done Quick will have a speedrun for Crystal in about two hours: https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

It's a Any % Glitchless run that is estimated to last nearly 4 hours. So it might be boring as hell, but now you know.
Edit: There is a donation incentive for a bonus glitched run, no idea if that'll happen and how long that would last. I am guessing it is part of that 4 hour block?

I don't actually have time to watch it live, let me know if it's terrible and I can skip the VOD, okay? :thumbsup:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Baseless pessimism is pointless, but there's clearly a basis for it here and it's perfectly reasonable to say "this looks bad" when what the developers are selectively picking and choosing to show looks bad!

If you don't like people being negative about something you're free to tune out if you want! Nobody's stopping you and that might in fact be a really sensible thing to do, but you're not the arbiter of whether or not something's valid or meaningful when it comes to other people's complaints about a billion dollar company being really loving lazy and inept.

I'd say most of the basis comes from X/Y and S/M feeling more rushed, incomplete and wasteful, and also the disappointment of no Gen 6 third game to "complete" X/Y.
It is kind of like a smooth slide down in Gen 6 and 7, with a near pitfall with the Sw/Sh E3 news

Alxprit posted:

Fine. I'll come back when there's better news.

Narrator: They was never seen again.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Game's gonna have like 540 pokemon, and 75 will be new. Some routes won't have new pokemon at all.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Game's gonna have like 540 pokemon, and 75 will be new. Some routes won't have new pokemon at all.

That's like top tier for an even generation. I wouldn't complain about that.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Would it really be so hard to swap encounter rates around so that the new native pokemon pop out more than the same tired pokemon we've had for over a decade?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Yeah gotta make 'em all super hard to find like Mareanie and Dhelmise in SM

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
So would every one prefer for SwSh to be something along the lines of XY, a very bare bones game with nothing new but for it to have the complete dex?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
XY were wonderful games and introduced tons of new stuff sis

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So would every one prefer for SwSh to be something along the lines of XY, a very bare bones game with nothing new but for it to have the complete dex?

Also I think XY ended up getting a pass because it graphically updated all the Poke models in order to futureproof them for future gens...

and here we are now. In the not so distant future.

e: like heck 10000 years from now when the alien overlords return to Earth and excavate our fossils they will scratch their heads trying to find the missing Pokemon game link between gen 5 and 6

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 25, 2019

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sieypt33Jco

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

less laughter posted:

XY were wonderful games and introduced tons of new stuff sis

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well no, but SwSh is probably gonna be a very bare bones game with hardly anything new without even a complete dex.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

qnqnx posted:

I'd say most of the basis comes from X/Y and S/M feeling more rushed, incomplete and wasteful, and also the disappointment of no Gen 6 third game to "complete" X/Y.
It is kind of like a smooth slide down in Gen 6 and 7, with a near pitfall with the Sw/Sh E3 news

What was incomplete about Sun and Moon? They were pretty good and well received Pokemon games I feel? I don't understand this new narrative that Gamefreak has been in freefall for a decade and that Gen VII was worse than Gen VI and Gen VIII is continuing the trend. Like in what world was S/M more rushed than X and Y?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I think it's pretty silly to think that just because Gamefreak is not spending as much time on making Pokemon models that they'll use that extra time to flesh out the rest of the game. I don't think it's necessarily the case that because there's less work in one area that there will be more work in other areas of the game.

E:

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Well no, but SwSh is probably gonna be a very bare bones game with hardly anything new without even a complete dex.

What is there to suggest SwSh will have less new things than any other new pokemon game? I expect it will have about as much new pokemon as Sun and Moon or X and Y and the same amount of new moves and new mechanics or whatever.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 25, 2019

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What is there to suggest SwSh will have less new things than any other new pokemon game? I expect it will have about as much new pokemon as Sun and Moon or X and Y and the same amount of new moves and new mechanics or whatever.

Yeah, this is what I meant, sorry I sounded so harsh. This looks like about as much new stuff as the usual pokemon game, most of the "new newness" outside of actual pokemon seems to be dedicated to making the Wild Area work, which is the usual amount of shiny new stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

E2M2 posted:

I was on vacation when I posted that but I think I'll take you up on that sometime this week if I can remember.
It'll be waiting for you whenever you want, no worries. (I had a bunch of adamant+egg moves+own tempo rockruff just lying around in my PC)