Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I will be the voice of opposition to the Harry Potters. One and two are cute and colorful but very for kids. Three and four are good to fine. Everything else gets progressively worse and grayer as it becomes wizard WW2 but somehow still completely boring? 7.1 is by far the worst, nothing happens til the last 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Deathly Hallows Part 1 is the second best one after Azkaban.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Eric is a goon right, we could tell him the real truth about Slenderman.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Eric is a goon right, we could tell him the real truth about Slenderman.

Didn't he do a BIOOS on the slendermen?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
What the gently caress is the barnes and noble book pooper

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
IIRC there was a story in a mailbag where someone was reading at a table in public, took a poo poo right there, put it in the book and left.

Or is there some other horrid story I’m confusing this one for?

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Either Eric worked at - or had a friend who worked at - Barnes and Noble. There was a customer who would carefully take a dump, rolling the turd down their pant leg. Then they would very casually put it between the pages of a random book and put it back on the shelf. It happened multiple times at the same Barnes and Noble.

When I first heard the episode I was laughing so hard, and trying to keep silent in our open-office plan, that the person across from me said "you've either heard the funniest story ever, or just had the worst tragedy ever" because I was shaking with tears rolling down my red tomato face.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Truly the joker of Barnes and Nobles

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pops Mgee posted:

Didn't he do a BIOOS on the slendermen?

Yes

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I have listened to the traces of red episode like 5 times because the Mr. Dominos bit makes me laugh until I cry.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

B-Rock452 posted:

the Mr. Dominos bit makes me laugh until I cry.

:same:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
What was the one with TOM CRUISE IN A HAT because I remember that bit being funny

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
How is Martin Cinemax not on that alignment table.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

kalensc posted:

How is Martin Cinemax not on that alignment table.

I think that thanks to #MeToo, both the WHM crew and their fans have quietly shoved Martin Cinemax down the memory hole.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What was the one with TOM CRUISE IN A HAT because I remember that bit being funny

The way Stephen screamed that made me tick him all the way up to the top of “best WHM cast-members” list.

Unlike this guy, I guess:

https://twitter.com/stephensajdak/status/1141789465083613184?s=21

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

AceOfFlames posted:

I think that thanks to #MeToo, both the WHM crew and their fans have quietly shoved Martin Cinemax down the memory hole.

That's good.

Anyone else unable to go earlier than Apr 2014 (ep 151 North) on their usual podcast app? I had access back to ep109ish forever, and am unsure if I borked a setting on this app.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

the furthest I can go back on my app is the Boondock Saints and Food Fight

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
There's a gap of about 50 or so episodes between the Patreon archive, and what's available from the feed. You have to download those episodes directly from their site

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

AceOfFlames posted:

But he's more relevant than ever now...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Goddamn do I love when anyone starts talking about A Dog's Purpose, that is not sarcasm, it's always 100% hilarious.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/stephensajdak/status/1143521572822691840

Those are mental

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wanted is such perfect fodder for this podcast especially considering Mark Millar's "dark and edgy for the sake of it" attitude which he thinks is him being clever and deconstructing comic books but it's really just him being a borderline psycopath. Especially considering that the Wanted comic ends with (spoilers even though you shouldn't read Wanted or at least not pay money for it) the main character pretends to have an epiphany that he's been a weird violent rear end in a top hat the entire story, then reveals he was kidding about the epiphany, directly mocks the audience for having a moral compass, and then literally rapes the fourth wall.

Thus proving they'll give an MBE to anybody these days.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Angry_Ed posted:

drat, thought you were joking but nope, we totally gave him one. :eng99:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

They missed that Millar and J G Jones deliberately based main characters on Eminem and Halle Berry likenesses in the comic. That kind of brazen starfuckery brought the world Samuel L. Fury but no luck here.

Also, as per tradition, a reminder that Mark Millar is an incredibly stupid guy

quote:

“While down at the shops, I saw a black guy with [Down syndrome]. Amazing, as this is something my friends and I had queried for years. Is DS genetically localized to Caucasians. Yes, I’m now about to waste 20 mins phoning a couple of my pals to say so, but now me appetite has been whet and I’m curious if there are any Chinese or Indian Downs Syndrome people out there. Given that Scotland is almost entirely white my chances of seeing one here are slim, but I’m certainly on the look out now.”

quote:

“I pitched this to DC for a laugh years back. The idea was that, like Death of Superman, we had Rape of Wonder Woman; a twenty-two page rape scene that opened up into a gatefold at the end just like Superman did.”

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

fatherboxx posted:

They missed that Millar and J G Jones deliberately based main characters on Eminem and Halle Berry likenesses in the comic. That kind of brazen starfuckery brought the world Samuel L. Fury but no luck here.

Well...now I know that. Jesus.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

How the gently caress did this guy write the brilliance that is Superman: Red Son? He must have had a ghostwriter chained in his basement.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Wanted and Kingsmen are like the exact same movie holy poo poo.

Plus Kingsmen ends exactly like the Wanted comic so it's like he got a do over and doubled down on his complete hackiness.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

weekly font posted:

Wanted and Kingsmen are like the exact same movie holy poo poo.

Yeah, listening to the description (I've never seen Wanted), I was thinking more than once, "...so it's The Kingsmen?"

Having seen The Kingsmen, I'm happy with my decision to never watch Wanted. Or Kingsmen 2, come to think of it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Millar also wrote the original Civil War comic event, which was (surprise) loving terrible.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

AceOfFlames posted:

How the gently caress did this guy write the brilliance that is Superman: Red Son? He must have had a ghostwriter chained in his basement.

It’s never been confirmed, but it’s pretty commonly believed that Grant Morrison ghostwrote most/all of Red Son.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I saw Wanted once, the only poo poo I remembered was dude could spin the bullets and the loom

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

You are not far off, it is generally accepted that the idea of its ending came from Millar's mentor Grant Morrison. Morrison does not remember him fondly though:

quote:

He still lives in Glasgow, is there a chance of bumping into him?
There’s a very good chance of running into him, and I hope I’m going 100 miles an hour when it happens.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Iron Crowned posted:

I saw Wanted once, the only poo poo I remembered was dude could spin the bullets and the loom

I also was dragged to Wanted and hated every second of it

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

SkeletonHero posted:

It’s never been confirmed, but it’s pretty commonly believed that Grant Morrison ghostwrote most/all of Red Son.

That makes perfect sense.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GoutPatrol posted:

I also was dragged to Wanted and hated every second of it

Oh yeah, it was a terrible ex's idea to rent it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What I remember about Wanted is getting chicken with my friend before we saw it in theaters. That was good chicken.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Iron Crowned posted:

Same except I remembered (and hated of course) the last line. I walked out the theatre thinking “but you didn’t do anything! They found you and trained you and led you on the story! You had zero self-motivation or involvement in this getting underway!”

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

I only come out when it is wet.

Angry_Ed posted:

Wanted is such perfect fodder for this podcast especially considering Mark Millar's "dark and edgy for the sake of it" attitude which he thinks is him being clever and deconstructing comic books but it's really just him being a borderline psycopath. Especially considering that the Wanted comic ends with (spoilers even though you shouldn't read Wanted or at least not pay money for it) the main character pretends to have an epiphany that he's been a weird violent rear end in a top hat the entire story, then reveals he was kidding about the epiphany, directly mocks the audience for having a moral compass, and then literally rapes the fourth wall.

I remember Wanted being the one thing I enjoyed from Millar, because I thought the entire comic was one big put on. But, nope! Turns out he's always written his stories like this, and they've always been terrible. This was after I started/stopped reading his Ultimate X-Men run where every other issue was just massacre after massacre of innocent people to show off just how bad the bad guys were.

Millar loves him the body count.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Holy poo poo, that Wonder Woman idea... I think my life just got worse by simply reading about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Mark Millar wrote some very good issues of an all-ages Superman comic back in the day, which makes his insistence on leaning into his tired edgelord bullshit even more sad.

I had heard that he had some health problems a number of years ago and he had said the medical bills spurred him to write outlandish poo poo because he knew it would get published. That doesn’t explain why he thought “The Rape of Wonder Woman” was funny, but there you are.